MPs suggest a 32% wage increase...for MPs Page 4

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Next
  • Deleted user 11 January 2013 15:17:59
    Got to be honest, don't see the problem. Got a friend on more than they think they deserve and they certainly deserve it more than she does! (not saying she doesn't deserve it, just saying she doesn't help run the county!). Would expect politicians to get paid more than managers at tesco.
  • spamdangled 11 Jan 2013 15:20:40 27,356 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    glaeken wrote:
    Is it a difficult job for a basic MP? If you ever look at the parliament channel I notice most of the time the place is virtually empty so what do they do when they are not there? What are their deliverables? It seems to me if they keep their seat or not is rarely based on individual performance. As long as you don't get caught shagging a goat keeping your seat is going to be about the prevailing political wind and just where the seat is in the first place.
    Not all are going to be present at every debate/reading etc. Depends what the concerns of their constituents are, where their expertise lies etc.
    Plus there's a tonne of different committees.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Deleted user 11 January 2013 15:31:43
    Jeepers wrote:
    vizzini wrote:
    Last, but not least. MPs are first class Civil Servants. Why are the ~900 or so of them special, compared to any other civil servant?
    This site really needs a Joey emoticon.
    By all means fully correct ~ value I put in, with the real number. But also confirm it is only that number, and not parliamentary staff , or MP's entourage staff that are getting a proposed 32% rise.
  • spamdangled 11 Jan 2013 15:40:28 27,356 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    vizzini wrote:
    Jeepers wrote:
    vizzini wrote:
    Last, but not least. MPs are first class Civil Servants. Why are the ~900 or so of them special, compared to any other civil servant?
    This site really needs a Joey emoticon.
    By all means fully correct ~ value I put in, with the real number. But also confirm it is only that number, and not parliamentary staff , or MP's entourage staff that are getting a proposed 32% rise.
    Your figure was 250 higher than the reality.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• RedSparrows 11 Jan 2013 16:10:33 22,894 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    vizzini wrote:
    @RedSparrows

Interesting how my point about civil servant's wages (which MPs are), and using money for things it is taxed for, was completely bypassed.

[...]

I also find it completely nuts, that people that preside over government employment policy sought out educations and skillsets in areas that have very limited career prospects. Flawed political policy? Or flawed life policy?
    It's bypassed because it's something I don't know about, whereas I felt able to comment on the other things. It's called 'not overreaching', you should try it.

In other, less beliigerent news, it's interesting that you point out that 'limited career prospects' of politicians skillsets/education as being important. Why?

1) How is it limited if you can get a cushy job as an MP? (as you see it)
    2) Not all politicians are Arts graduates, and even if they were, you do know most of those manage to do alright.
    3) Why must a politician possess a skillset of another job? Is there a skillset *just* for politicians? I'm not being sarccy with that comment, I am genuinely asking you for your view.
  • RedSparrows 11 Jan 2013 16:11:06 22,894 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Also, THERE IS NO PROPOSED 32% RISE.
  • thelzdking 11 Jan 2013 16:26:27 4,367 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I strongly doubt that an increase in pay would result in better MPs. 65k a year is plenty.
  • Page

of 4 First / Last

Next