• Dougs 11 Jan 2013 09:37:51 66,728 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    *Apart from my mate Cem, he's a copper and not a cunt

Edited by Dougs at 09:38:05 11-01-2013
  • andytheadequate 11 Jan 2013 09:38:22 8,084 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    To be fair, if we were all asked what we though of our salary I'd expect a similar percentage increase.

As someone else said, I wouldn't be against a MPs pay rise if they weren't allowed to have second jobs
  • glaeken 11 Jan 2013 09:39:29 11,108 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    I dunno. It's a difficult job with stupid hours and a huge amount of responsibility. Seems fair enough to me.
    Is it a difficult job for a basic MP? If you ever look at the parliament channel I notice most of the time the place is virtually empty so what do they do when they are not there? What are their deliverables? It seems to me if they keep their seat or not is rarely based on individual performance. As long as you don't get caught shagging a goat keeping your seat is going to be about the prevailing political wind and just where the seat is in the first place.
  • nickthegun 11 Jan 2013 09:39:38 58,907 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    I bet you a tenner, if you followed him around at work for a couple of days, you would end up thinking 'christ, what a cunt'.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Deleted user 11 January 2013 09:40:21
    kalel wrote:
    I dunno. It's a difficult job with stupid hours and a huge amount of responsibility. Seems fair enough to me.
    True but then you don't want to attract people who are mainly after the pay check, you also don't want people who are in it for the fame - ie ego boost, but that's kind of unavoidable.

It's like the old case of the best leaders are probably those that don't want to.

This hardly even affects most of our current government, who are rich anyway and sociopaths.
  • Dougs 11 Jan 2013 10:27:45 66,728 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Dougs wrote:
    I bet you a tenner, if you followed him around at work for a couple of days, you would end up thinking 'christ, what a cunt'.
    Ah, but he wouldn't be a cunt to me. Plus, he's a big lad, I wouldn't dare tell him
  • Dougs 11 Jan 2013 10:29:05 66,728 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    glaeken wrote:
    Is it a difficult job for a basic MP? If you ever look at the parliament channel I notice most of the time the place is virtually empty so what do they do when they are not there? What are their deliverables? It seems to me if they keep their seat or not is rarely based on individual performance. As long as you don't get caught shagging a goat keeping your seat is going to be about the prevailing political wind and just where the seat is in the first place.
    Not all are going to be present at every debate/reading etc. Depends what the concerns of their constituents are, where their expertise lies etc.
  • glaeken 11 Jan 2013 11:10:08 11,108 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My experience of local MP's is you hear about them during election time and then you don't hear a peep out of them till the next election. I imagine them getting on a plan to the Bahamasí after their acceptance speech and then returning in time for the next election campaigning.

I just can't imagine what they actually do given they don't actually have any power to do anything. What can your local MP actually do for you if itís outside of what their party is already doing?
  • Chopsen 11 Jan 2013 11:12:41 15,740 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If you want to know, have a look. You can even ask ask them.

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/
  • nickthegun 11 Jan 2013 11:17:08 58,907 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My local MP does quite a lot, to be fair on him.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• glaeken 11 Jan 2013 11:20:50 11,108 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Chopsen That's actually a pretty cool Link. It seems my local MP is an anti-gay, pro hunting proponent of war. A Tory in other words.

It's pretty cool how much detail is available. The private income stuff in particular is great.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 11 Jan 2013 11:21:39 6,654 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Our MP used to be Ann Winterton, the one that made the Chinese takeaway gag about the cockle pickers that died.

We're in a solid tory area.
  • RedSparrows 11 Jan 2013 11:24:49 22,085 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    vyseofhr wrote:
    Perhaps the same survey should be carried out among citizens, so they can see what WE think they're worth.

Now THAT result would be interesting.
    No it wouldn't, it'd be bloody awful.
  • Shikasama 11 Jan 2013 11:25:33 6,637 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    'They work long hours'

'They do quite a lot'

...and they get paid 65 grand a year.

I'm fairly sure we could all name a few jobs each that require long hours, lots of responsibility and an awful lot of work that get paid less without the benefits of being an MP. Mostly being worked by people that are constantly being told they should be sacrificing something because some banks broke the economy.

My sympathy gland only produces so much and is currently focused towards the baby elephant that died last night on Africa. Not much to spare for people earning X times what the majority of the country earns complaining they don't get paid enough.
  • LeoliansBro 11 Jan 2013 11:25:56 43,284 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    'I think I should be as rich as that Sir Alan because then I could buy a big plasma telly.'

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Bremenacht 11 Jan 2013 11:26:39 17,614 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I wouldn't mind the MPs getting a bigger payrise in line with great value and impact of their work, but -alas- we're all in it together, so they can fuck off.
  • RedSparrows 11 Jan 2013 11:27:02 22,085 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    MPs might be reprehensible bastards some of the time, but they can do, and do do, a hell of a job without you ever knowing about it.

Of course there's corruption and nepotism and back-slapping et al, but if we aren't going to pay our representatives decently then we might as well pack the whole thing in, and ask everyone to live on idealism - do you? Would you?

Of course, whether they are underpaid, I don't know. It's just the de facto vehemence against ALL politicians is as boring and unhelpful as the few twats who really deserve it.
  • oceanmotion 11 Jan 2013 11:28:24 15,673 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If it was their only job I wouldn't mind them getting more money but still, why would you take the job if you're not happy with the salary, sure there is many others who would take it instead.

Other problem is MPs who don't come from varied professional backgrounds. No wonder they are clueless when they walk straight into it.

Edited by oceanmotion at 11:30:18 11-01-2013
  • Shikasama 11 Jan 2013 11:30:36 6,637 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    Of course there's corruption and nepotism and back-slapping et al, but if we aren't going to pay our representatives decently then we might as well pack the whole thing in, and ask everyone to live on idealism - do you? Would you?
    We could try asking them to live on 65 grand a year, an extremely generous pension plan and a very nice setup for their future plans as board members/after dinner speakers/stand up comedians.
  • RedSparrows 11 Jan 2013 11:31:42 22,085 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    'Of course whether they are being underpaid, I don't know.'

I was responding to the attack on MPs in general implied by vyseofhr etc.
  • LeoliansBro 11 Jan 2013 11:32:20 43,284 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Shikasama wrote:
    RedSparrows wrote:
    We could try asking them to live on 65 grand a year, an extremely generous pension plan and a very nice setup for their future plans as board members/after dinner speakers/stand up comedians.
    Or they could have all of those things in the private sector plus double the salary.

I'd rather want to know that MPs continue to be drawn from the most talented businessmen available. It's certainly not always the case, but depressing the salary (partially out of envy) is a step in the wrong direction.

• bitch_tits_zero_nine 11 Jan 2013 11:32:34 6,654 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeah, the pay rate needs to attract decent people I guess.
  • lexxx 11 Jan 2013 11:37:36 164 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Over the last decade, the hours have become more family friendly, so now Commons sitting hours are only really late on a Monday, but finish at either 7.30 or 5.30 otherwise.

Obviously those remain more than a 9-5 job, and good MPs will do constituency and campaigning work outside of those core hours, but the days of having to wait around for the possibility of a vote at 2am are basically gone (or it might happen once in a while, I think it happened a year and a half ago).

Like others have said, MPs deserve a decent salary - my own MP seems very good, she campaigns on gangs, youth unemployment, etc, really tries to get involved with people who are often disenfranchised and raise issues many people don't even want to think about. But even so, £65k is enough IMO.
  • mcmonkeyplc 11 Jan 2013 11:38:01 39,387 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Not JUST businessmen though.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• mcmonkeyplc 11 Jan 2013 11:39:27 39,387 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    My MP is Vince Cable.

• LeoliansBro 11 Jan 2013 11:39:27 43,284 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The salary element is most pertinent to businessmen, hence why I said it.

• Deleted user 11 January 2013 11:39:57
    The issue for me, is that they DICTATE when civil servants get a pay freeze (ie losing money against inflation as they have been for years).

Being an MP is not a job, it a vocational commitment to try to improve your country, as sold to the electorate. Sadly the high profile career politicians aren't trained or skilled at anything real, to be capable of everyone being in it together. I doubt they can install an OS, change a plug or even change a light bulb in a duck pond feature.

If they want a pay rise, then all civil servants need their freeze removed instantly, and set to get the same percentage rise as politicians to ensure it keeps politicians in check.

Sadly the money to fund these rises is probably being taken from the fraudulently charged road tax budget. As billions are paid to roads that certainly don't get billions worth of maintenance each year. If the general public owned the badly maintained roads, they'd get fined for them failing MOTs for being dangerous. But why worry about that, when MP pay rises are the first order of business.
  • mcmonkeyplc 11 Jan 2013 11:40:10 39,387 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ideologists like money too :)

Edited by mcmonkeyplc at 11:40:48 11-01-2013

• RedSparrows 11 Jan 2013 11:41:27 22,085 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Being an MP is also a job.

I can't do any of those things (other than an OS).

Who said pay rises are the first order of any business?

Whatever happened to the understanding that politics is not carpentry? (Damaged by politicians themselves, admittedly).

And so on.
  • Page

of 4 First / Last