The coming online multiplayer collapse?

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • Deleted user 9 January 2013 20:39:20
    When do you think its going to come?

Developers cannot indefinitely keep shoving sub par resource draining multiplayer modes, into games that are fundamentally different from that concept, in the naive hope that it will spontaneously steal the COD crowd and end used game sales.

Already we have offenders this year with God of War Ascension and Tomb Raider, where is it going to end?

Or is this the view of gamers brought up on single player games with the younger generation having no problem with it?

What demographic are the developers hoping to get with these modes?
  • graysonavich 9 Jan 2013 20:44:30 7,353 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    How many pairs of blinkers can you buy with a $1,000,000 cheque from a LoL tournament?
  • Deleted user 9 January 2013 20:49:10
    @graysonavich Only if the fireman stops harvesting the cat tree.
  • Aretak 9 Jan 2013 20:56:17 10,354 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You can get the odd gem out of shoving multiplayer into every single game though. Mass Effect 3's multiplayer is incredibly good and the best thing about the game by some distance.
  • Deleted user 9 January 2013 21:01:48
    @Aretak I thought the loot aspect of it was pretty interesting, definitely still feels like an RPG in that sense, the concept of making the loot possible to access through microtransactions was pretty distasteful however to me.

But yeah I would agree its better on average than the standard tick the box multiplayer mode. But I felt I asked myself is this why I bought Mass Effect 3, the answer was obviously no so I simply didn't play it.
  • mal 9 Jan 2013 21:11:05 22,550 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I didn't buy Conker's BFD for it's multiplayer modes, but the Normandy landings multiplayer level was easily the best thing in that game. Obviously, to spite my own nose, I didn't play it.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• oceanmotion 9 Jan 2013 22:44:53 15,951 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I don't think it's that big an issue, not terribly common. The problem is multiplayer games trying to be COD more than anything else.

The single player in some games is so straightforward and as they like to call it, cinematic that there isn't much game there in the first place so multiplayer tacked on is more like bloody damn right for the asking price.

Good game or a bad game, publishers problem if they want to waste money on other stuff. We just vote with our money and playtime. They will get the message.
  • LeoliansBro 9 Jan 2013 22:49:48 44,245 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I don't see why this leads to a multiplayer collapse.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• mal 10 Jan 2013 00:12:26 22,550 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Must be the same way that after Super Mario Kart on the SNES, no developers bothered putting multiplayer modes in their games. Or something like that.

• Widge Moderator 10 Jan 2013 00:19:46 13,593 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think the sheer volume of multiplayer is making a very thin community, especially when there are so many yearly iterations. Certainly on the consoles I see "is anyone still playing this?" Comments in threads.

I'm hoping to see the pure multiplayer communities survive, with single player spin off ones dry up and the desire to make them too.

Not sure if this will happen as multiplayer is a mechanism to try and keep games off the second hand market.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• oceanmotion 10 Jan 2013 00:37:37 15,951 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Paid DLC like map packs don't help, people will stick to a sure thing or flock to the new thing until DLC turns up, then move on. I would even factor in XBL Gold for poor communities, people are unlikely to spread their time on other games for that long when they pay to play online.
  • Deleted user 10 January 2013 00:46:05
    Aretak wrote:
    You can get the odd gem out of shoving multiplayer into every single game though. Mass Effect 3's multiplayer is incredibly good and the best thing about the game by some distance.
    It's s poor man's horde mode.
  • mal 10 Jan 2013 01:26:00 22,550 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    oceanmotion wrote:
    Paid DLC like map packs don't help, people will stick to a sure thing or flock to the new thing until DLC turns up, then move on.
    I always wait for GOTY editions these days, although as I have never personally taken my 360 online (a) I've no means of getting the DLC otherwise and (b) it doesn't much matter when I get a game, as I won't be playing it with you guys.

• neilka 10 Jan 2013 01:31:29 15,953 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Personally I prefer coming online singleplayer.

A map is like comparing velocity and speed.

• bobdebob 10 Jan 2013 03:52:46 587 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    mal wrote:
    Must be the same way that after Super Mario Kart on the SNES, no developers bothered putting multiplayer modes in their games. Or something like that.
    Is that hyperbole or something? Cause I remember quite a few SNES games with a tacked-on multiplayer.
  • bad09 10 Jan 2013 09:21:19 5,903 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Multiplayer collapse? It's getting worse it won't collapse. They think you want to grind away in some shit MP rather than sell it on, they want to grab on map packs and gun packs bolstering the cash they take from you. Even if they fail on the versus stuff they'll come back with co-op and try again look at Dead Space.

It 'ain't going anywhere and pretty much everything WILL do multiplayer eventually sadly. On the plus side I suppose occasionally it is a fun mild diversion, I tried the Max Payne 3 one recently and that was fun for 5 minutes.

Edited by bad09 at 09:23:57 10-01-2013
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next