Fallout 4 Page 281

• Page

of 282 First / Last

• Billy-Daniels 19 May 2017 12:25:54 39 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    I may disagree with you but I understand your points, many people feel the same way as you do.

You're not wrong either but neither am I, none of us are. We all have different expectations, likes and dislikes that colour our opinions of games and this is why our perceptions and opinions often differ so much.

A world where all people like all games (movies/music/art as well) equally would be a boring world to inhabit imo.
  • SYS64738 19 May 2017 12:39:34 4,273 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Can't disagree with that. I'm clearly having *some* fun with the game, it's just not really what I expected when it was announced. As a result, I'm less hyped about numero 5... but maybe that's not such a bad thing either.

Have to say, I don't really know what else they could do with the franchise - personally would prefer it playing closer towards the end of the 21st century, and suppose it'll need to stay in the US (its humour and cultural references don't really work anywhere else), somewhere recognisable like LA, San Francisco or NY; or they could just go Walking Dead and set it in the middle of nowhere but that would probably be rather dull.

Edited by SYS64738 at 12:40:48 19-05-2017
  • Mola_Ram 19 May 2017 13:02:11 15,948 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I think that if I hadn't been playing Fallout games since the beginning (almost 20 years now!), I might have liked FO3 and 4 more.

But having been committed to the series for this long, I have a certain idea of what kind of games I think they should be. And aside from some superficial similarities, I think Bethesda haven't been making those games. They've been making Elder Scrolls games with Fallout assets.

I guess many people are ok with that, which is fair enough. But personally, I'm not going to be buying another one unless they pretty drastically change it.

Or just hire Obsidian again. New Vegas was glorious.
  • infoxicated 19 May 2017 13:09:23 1,479 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Nothing to add, just want to thank Billy-Daniels for the write up on Survival Mode. Planning to go back to Fallout 4 after the summer as I completely rinsed the stock game from launch until about this time last year.

I reluctantly triggered the end game by siding with the Railroad and was happy to park it at that point because I felt crestfallen at the heavy handed, forced choices I had to make in the run-in.

But, come autumn, I'll be diving back in and will acquire all the DLC, which will surely be cheap as chips by that point, and I'm considering survival mode from the getgo. :)
  • Billy-Daniels 19 May 2017 14:30:01 39 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    I think that if I hadn't been playing Fallout games since the beginning (almost 20 years now!), I might have liked FO3 and 4 more.

But having been committed to the series for this long, I have a certain idea of what kind of games I think they should be. And aside from some superficial similarities, I think Bethesda haven't been making those games. They've been making Elder Scrolls games with Fallout assets.

I guess many people are ok with that, which is fair enough. But personally, I'm not going to be buying another one unless they pretty drastically change it.

Or just hire Obsidian again. New Vegas was glorious.
    You've hit the nail on the head here with regards to why some people love Fallout 4 and others find it difficult to love.

I've watched gameplay videos of the original Fallouts and they're the types of games I avoid. Post apocalyptic Elder Scrolls with guns in the Bethesda mould is precisely what I wanted.

Conversely, If you were a fan of the originals I can understand why you weren't pleased with Bethesda's vision of how a Fallout game should play. Other than the lore (Super Mutants, Vaults etc) they're completely different games.

I'd welcome Obsidian having another pop at a Fallout game. I didn't enjoy New Vegas as much as 3&4 but it was a good game that scratched the Fallout itch whilst waiting for Bethesda's next offering.

@infoxicated

Glad I could help and enjoy scraping an existence in Boston when you embark on your survival mission.
  • SYS64738 19 May 2017 14:35:17 4,273 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Mola_Ram I should really give FO1/2 a try - have the install files from GOG sitting on my hard disk for ages, tried FO1 a few years ago but didn't get on with it (I don't think it aged particularly well but I should probably try and see past that).
  • TAJB 1 Jun 2017 19:23:04 1,218 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I've finally jumped back into this after abandoning it for months on end and I somehow found that I'm actually enjoying it. I didn't understand crafting before, I didn't understand settlements at all and somehow I've jumped in after months away and everything makes sense. It actually feels like a game instead of a chore and I'm loving the hell out of it.
  • TAJB 12 Jul 2017 14:02:33 1,218 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    So I had a right weird glitch occur today and I can't seem to find a fix anywhere online. When doing Cait's personal quest I went into Vault 95 with Cait wearing Power Armour. I have read that sometimes entering the clean room with Cait in Power Armour can cause the power armour to disappear however something else weird happened. Cait disappeared.

Her power armour was outside the room but empty and Cait was gone. After a few tricks like switching companions and saving ect, Cait finally came back to Sanctuary hills but now I can't talk to her. When I activate her she gives me one liners but theres no option for her to come with me anymore even after saving and resetting. Any ideas how to fix this because I can't finish the quest if she can't follow me.
  • oldschoolsoviet 12 Jul 2017 16:21:11 6,219 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm hoping you have an earlier save.....

Can see some workarounds due to the not talking bug (http://http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Benign_Intervention) but no specifics regarding the PA, which usually means you're knackered.
  • TAJB 12 Jul 2017 16:33:39 1,218 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @oldschoolsoviet I wish I did have an earlier save but my last manual save was two days ago so I'm utterly "bug"gered (sorry)
  • ubergine 30 Aug 2017 10:24:45 7,347 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Fallout 4 is being patched to 1.16 on PS4. Looking for patch notes...

Looks like it might be Creation Club?

Wonder if making mods paid dlc will workaround Sony's mod limitations.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/fallout-4-pc-update-introduces-paid-content-curati/1100-6452933/

Edited by ubergine at 10:28:41 30-08-2017
  • infoxicated 30 Aug 2017 11:10:51 1,479 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Nice one! I'm planning to go back for another play through during the winter. :)
  • foster2007 30 Aug 2017 11:50:56 117 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    What a shite game this was.
  • JamboWayOh 30 Aug 2017 12:32:52 1,708 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    'shite' is a bit of on overstatement, Universal Soldier for the mega drive was a shit game, fallout 4 was more underwhelming. For me personally I didn't see it as a next gen evolution of 3, but instead a tarted up version that still seemed pretty basic compared to many other games of its ilk. For me Bethesda really need to get a handle on their animation quality and writing. Their world building and sense of place is pretty impressive on a the other hand.
  • markytonline83 30 Aug 2017 12:39:43 802 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Because Fallout 3 and NV were gaming perfection to me, all I wanted was more of the same, so Fallout 4 didn't disappoint me at all.
  • ubergine 30 Aug 2017 13:05:14 7,347 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Fallout 4 is a good game, it's just not a good Fallout game.

The PS4 now has some expensive paid clothes and a set of chairs, and that's it. Great.
  • heavy_salad 31 Aug 2017 09:57:42 1,095 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @markytonline83 If I'd got 'more of the same' I'd have been delighted. The fact that they went away from what made FO3 and NV good was what was so frustrating. The whole thing is basically endless streams of fetch quests in corridor shooting galleries.
  • robthehermit 31 Aug 2017 10:00:56 6,099 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I really enjoyed it for the most part. The lesser part being the base building which can do one.
  • DukeSilver 31 Aug 2017 10:57:40 2,275 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I played around with settlements and enjoyed them for a while but I thought the idea wasn't implemented well. In survival mode having lots of camps would be important but in normal mode it didn't really make much difference.

Either way, you only needed somewhere to leave some supplies so a tiny camp was no less use than a huge settlement with 10 settlers. It might have been more interesting if the generic settlers were replaced with more distinct NPCs. When I came across the Starlight Drive In I had visions of creating a big city around the screen with the abandoned cars being built into the design but there wasn't really the power to do that unless I used my imagination. I wasn't prepared to do that.

If you look on YouTube there are many impressive settlements so the building must have appealed to someone.
  • hedben2013 31 Aug 2017 11:04:03 435 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I didn't find the settlements a particular help or hindrance- I'd only add that I don't really understand the concerns about it being annoying having to maintain them and rush back if they get attacked. All my settlements have a higher defense score than they need, which is easy to achieve using the machine gun turrets that are constructed from common items and don't require a power source, and they rarely if ever call me back for defense.
  • markytonline83 31 Aug 2017 11:10:05 802 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @heavy_salad couldnt disagree more. Fallout 4 was just more of what I loved from 3 and NV. Lots of looting, skulking about in the shadows, picking locks and blowing shit up. I suppose you could play the game like a shoot em up, and sure you could just do the fetch quests one after the other, but my time with the game was varied and enjoyable. Not to say it doesn't have its faults of course.
  • SYS64738 31 Aug 2017 12:05:08 4,273 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I ignored the settlements completely - stored all my stuff in Sanctuary as spreading it across various settlements would've been too much of a faff, and didn't see the point in creating new settlements (outside survival mode).

While settlements didn't bother me per se, I wish the devs would've spent more time on fleshing out the story and side missions rather than tying up man hours in a city builder module within the game.

I played FO4 for several dozens more hours after completing the main quest exploring the map, but discovering new locations felt very shallow (compared to previous games of the series), in part because there wasn't really much tangible stuff to find other than the odd holotape, computer log or some loot. Only memorable quests with a bit of meat on the bone I can remember were the Silver Shroud and the Robot Ship ones.
  • heavy_salad 31 Aug 2017 13:13:04 1,095 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @markytonline83 Fair enough, different opinions and all that.
  • dsmx 31 Aug 2017 15:09:38 8,153 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The city builder stuff I can see why they put it in but it would of been better as optional DLC since most of the city building has little to no impact on how the plot develops. Also what little is required for the plot looks completely out of place compared to all the other structures you can build.

New Vegas was better at being fallout, the quests had multiple routes through and could be completed in multiple ways. Fallout 4 quests are generally go here and kill everyone and your only real choice is be nice or be a bastard in the conversations and even that doesn't result in a different outcome.

To make clear though it isn't a bad game, it's just very bad at being Fallout.

Edited by dsmx at 15:10:53 31-08-2017
  • ubergine 31 Aug 2017 15:29:26 7,347 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The new paid dlc microtransactions seems set to descend the game's overall status. $5.00 for a chair, you've got to be fucking kidding.
  • SYS64738 31 Aug 2017 15:47:00 4,273 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ubergine wrote:
    The new paid dlc microtransactions seems set to descend the game's overall status. $5.00 for a chair, you've got to be fucking kidding.
    Who are they, fucking Ikea?!
  • DukeSilver 31 Aug 2017 15:59:25 2,275 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Is it a special chair that shuts Mama Murphy up?
  • robthehermit 31 Aug 2017 16:30:55 6,099 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @DukeSilver She shut up in my game. Just keep giving her drugs, she'll OD eventually.
  • SYS64738 31 Aug 2017 16:40:38 4,273 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So those mods will make it to your hard drive whether you like it or not, via a 2.1GB patch. Nice one.
  • DukeSilver 31 Aug 2017 16:40:45 2,275 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The first time I played it I didn't realise how much she went on and built her chair in the Sanctuary workshop. On a second play through I put her right on the other side behind a wall.
  • Page

of 282 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.