Fallout 4 Page 279

• Page

of 281 First / Last

• ubergine 18 Nov 2016 03:35:08 7,083 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I don't mean the settlement near the array. The settlement near to what you're looking for is a vast distance from where you are. I think the Vault it's close to is Vault 81, which you can get a map marker from an NPC encounter.
  • hedben2013 28 Nov 2016 11:31:10 410 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Phew - I've finally met all of the factions now, after over 100 hours of play. Just need to finish their respective questlines and then pick a side for the ending. Then maybe consider the DLC!

I know this game didn't do it for everyone, but I'm enjoying it about as much as both FO3 and New Vegas.
  • TAJB 28 Nov 2016 11:33:22 1,192 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I ran in to a group call the Pillars of Eternity the other day or something like that. Steamed my encounter on YouTube but it sounded a lot like Scientology to me. Saved my game and gave him all of my stuff just for shits and giggles. He proceeded to murder me when I fought back. Bastard. Reloaded. Killed him back.

1-1 I suppose
  • DukeSilver 28 Nov 2016 11:55:16 2,172 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    hedben2013 wrote:
    Phew - I've finally met all of the factions now, after over 100 hours of play. Just need to finish their respective questlines and then pick a side for the ending. Then maybe consider the DLC!

I know this game didn't do it for everyone, but I'm enjoying it about as much as both FO3 and New Vegas.
    When I like a game a lot I often find faults with it. I criticise because I love. This probably helped me gloss over the bad things in Fallout 4 and manage to enjoy it. The two big things that still wind me up were the strange pace of urgently wanting to find Shaun didn't mix well with all the settlement building and general semi-relaxed exploration of the new world, and the ending was something I had to do to complete the game rather than really wanting to pick a side. Two quite important things really. I still liked it though.
  • hedben2013 28 Nov 2016 12:54:20 410 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @DukeSilver Well I haven't got to the ending yet, but I've already got a preferred faction, so maybe that won't be an issue...

Generally I think it does everything that Fallout 3 did, competently and with better graphics. It doesn't do the environmental storytelling anywhere near as well, and it can't match the sense of wonder that FO3 got by going open world vs. 1 and 2, but the new additions (crafting, legendaries) are mostly great, and the routine you get into while playing it is just as enjoyable as ever.
  • rockavitch 28 Nov 2016 13:28:05 937 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I like to explore but found the storyline pacing a bit too quick to really do so. In the end I just did the storyline and faction stuff (few reloads of earlier saves just to see the different outcomes).

Grinded out the settlement trophy at Red Rocket with one settler and then reclaimed me the lighthouse and used the boathouse next to it as a base with all my work desks, bed etc as I'd rather have my own pad and didn't care much for settlement stuff.

Now I have the majority of the map to explore with Dogmeat and Piper (for the companion trophy) at my own leisure and I'm actually enjoying it quite a bit. I tend to do this with these kind of games once I know you can play on after the ending.
  • DukeSilver 28 Nov 2016 13:48:01 2,172 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @hedben2013 I'll be interested to hear what you think of it once you've finished and who you sided with. I'll say nothing more at the moment as I don't want to spoil anything for you.
  • askew 28 Nov 2016 13:52:22 15,310 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Dogmeat! Shit, I can't remember where he ran off to :( I also can't remember where my modded Power Armour went...
  • killersrquiet 10 Dec 2016 14:05:58 3,118 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Fallout 4 has become my relaxing game of choice at the moment, it's a nice contrast to the frantic action in Titanfall 2.

I'm working through the Molecular Level quest right now, how long is left on the main quest lines?
  • HelloNo 10 Dec 2016 15:23:03 1,943 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @killersrquiet Is that the one where you are trying to get inside The Institute? If so, got a fair bit to go.
  • killersrquiet 10 Dec 2016 17:02:05 3,118 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @HelloNo

Yeah, that's the one. Thought i was closer to finishing the main quest.
  • superdelphinus 10 Dec 2016 17:55:32 9,308 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I just started playing this a few days ago, I think it's flipping brilliant so far
  • ChiefGB 10 Dec 2016 18:01:14 6,788 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've played it for many hours yet only done 4 or 5 main quests. It's not a terrible game but I do think it's one of bethesdas worst. I will however have another nose around once the pro patch lands.
  • MrMattAdz 10 Dec 2016 18:48:52 3,671 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @ChiefGB pretty sure the pro patch is out now isn't it? Became available a few days after they announced it.

Edited by MrMattAdz at 18:49:14 10-12-2016
  • ChiefGB 10 Dec 2016 20:29:38 6,788 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @MrMattAdz err no, not unless I missed it.
  • ubergine 10 Dec 2016 21:12:15 7,083 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Not pro patched that I've seen reported.
  • killersrquiet 10 Dec 2016 22:11:55 3,118 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The performance in certain areas is shocking, the game turns into a slideshow at times even on the pro.

I wouldn't mind if the game didn't look like Ass most of the time.
  • ChiefGB 10 Dec 2016 22:43:00 6,788 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    That may be because IT HASNT BEEN PATCHED. It is in the next patch though, then we can complain.
  • Duffking 11 Dec 2016 21:34:49 14,192 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm not sure it'll get much of a boost on the PS4 Pro, the engine is notoriously CPU dependent and it didn't get that much of a boost in the Pro.
  • HelloNo 12 Dec 2016 00:43:22 1,943 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've got a decent PC, and there's areas where it just drags. Particularly in central Boston and the bottom right of the map. If in doubt start throwing grenades and popping stimpacks.
  • ubergine 12 Dec 2016 01:09:44 7,083 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Duffking wrote:
    I'm not sure it'll get much of a boost on the PS4 Pro, the engine is notoriously CPU dependent and it didn't get that much of a boost in the Pro.
    It will get zero boost on the Pro, unless and until Bethesda patches it to do so. In the meantime I think the Pro even downclocks the CPU to run in PS4 mode, so the performance experience is identical.
  • Duffking 12 Dec 2016 12:14:14 14,192 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @ubergine well I meant after any hypothetical patch to take advantage. The engine is just stupidly CPU hungry. Having said that I didn't realise the console version targets 30fps so maybe it would get enough of a boost to reach that.
  • Duffking 12 Dec 2016 12:15:40 14,192 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    HelloNo wrote:
    I've got a decent PC, and there's areas where it just drags. Particularly in central Boston and the bottom right of the map. If in doubt start throwing grenades and popping stimpacks.
    Shadows seem to be the biggest killer. The engine doesn't seem to do a lot of occlusion culling for shadows, of which there are many inside the city. There's a great little mod for the PC that dynamically lowers the shadow draw distance based on a target frame rate. Worth getting.
  • ubergine 12 Dec 2016 12:21:48 7,083 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Duffking wrote:
    @ubergine well I meant after any hypothetical patch to take advantage. The engine is just stupidly CPU hungry. Having said that I didn't realise the console version targets 30fps so maybe it would get enough of a boost to reach that.
    I now see I misunderstood your original post. When you say "it" didn't recieve much of a boost on the Pro, I read "it" as Fallout 4, but by "it" you meant the CPU.
  • Nitrous 5 Jan 2017 16:44:01 1,444 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Best DLC? Tempted by far harbour as it's on the PSN January sale.

The crafting stuff no so much as I never got into that.
  • Juz 5 Jan 2017 19:22:42 3,087 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Nitrous wrote:
    Best DLC? Tempted by far harbour as it's on the PSN January sale.

The crafting stuff no so much as I never got into that.
    Far Harbor is the best of the DLC imho. I'm not into base building or any of that shit.
  • Spanky 5 Jan 2017 19:23:31 14,895 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Far Harbour embraces the grim and gritty whereas Nuka World embraces the dayglo humour if that's any help? Both big story jobs. Automatron is okay, not much in there, best thing about that is crafting your robot companion of destruction.
  • Nitrous 5 Jan 2017 19:30:24 1,444 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sounds good. Maybe I'll be buying both.
    I'll load it up later and see if I can get back into it.

Completed the main campaign a few months ago but not had any reason to dive back in.
  • Juz 5 Jan 2017 19:44:31 3,087 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I "finished" Far Harbor, but have only played about 2 hours of Nuka, and have no desire to return to it. But then I was distracted by Witcher 3..again.
  • ChiefGB 9 Feb 2017 19:03:06 6,788 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Pro patch is now live btw, personally been waiting for this before dipping back in. Knowing Bethesda, it will be worse than the boost mode improvements seen recently and buggers something else up that was working just fine before. ;)
  • Page

of 281 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.