Utopia - Channel 4 Page 2

• Page

of 4 First / Last

• TarickStonefire 30 Jan 2013 09:31:08 3,044 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Lukus wrote:
    It was ok. Very Channel Four. I didn't think much of the acting though, it all felt a bit amateurish.
    This is what I'm wary of, see.

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• Lukus 30 Jan 2013 09:32:04 19,050 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'd be quite surprised if there weren't some complaints about last night's episode by the general public.
    (Because of the violence, not the standard of acting.)

Edited by Lukus at 09:33:43 30-01-2013

Paintings & Photographs

• jellyhead 30 Jan 2013 09:45:17 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Some of the acting has warmed up and got better. Some is still quite stilted and wooden but that might be because of the psychological makeup of the character blah blah blah or they may be shit actors.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• Deleted user 30 January 2013 10:14:08
    Been trying to watch ep2 on my bloody 4oD Xbox app for days and the fecking thing is not working, really want to see it as loved ep1.
  • DaM 30 Jan 2013 10:17:27 12,991 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Lukus wrote:
    I'd be quite surprised if there weren't some complaints about last night's episode by the general public.
    I can't see why. The schedules are full of whodunit murder programs for the masses. I think murder and violence should be as graphic as it is in real life. Midsomer Murders and the like just trivialise it.
  • localnotail 30 Jan 2013 11:38:46 23,093 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm not sure that Stephen Rea and James Fox can be considered amateur. As for the others, I think it's good they are so weak to start with. They are internet nerds after all ;)

I think this is growing into something really darkly good. It's very beautiful too.

Interesting how the assassin guy (Arby?) let Jessica go. I guess she's his last link to her Dad, who seems to have been a total cunt.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• Psychotext 30 Jan 2013 13:27:54 53,946 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Episode 2 amused me. "Generally guns don't have safeties, only on telly"

/hands back gun which clearly has a safety on the side

\o/
  • Psychotext 30 Jan 2013 13:29:28 53,946 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh, and I really want the soundtrack. Anywhere I'm likely to be able to find it?
  • Psychotext 30 Jan 2013 14:27:44 53,946 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I found some of the theme music: http://www.thisismyjam.com/pieceoplastic/_4k5n00m

Edited by Psychotext at 14:28:05 30-01-2013
  • Deleted user 30 January 2013 14:38:55
    Psychotext wrote:
    I found some of the theme music: http://www.thisismyjam.com/pieceoplastic/_4k5n00m
    Very nice find!
  • Mr_Sleep 30 Jan 2013 14:39:10 16,933 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm really enjoying it, the directing style is really quite odd, the whole production has a dream like quality to it, there was a lovely shot on last nights episode where there was this layer of dust visible due to the light coming through a crack in the window. Really nice effect.

Although I'm going to call now that the pay-off is not going to be as interesting as all the set up.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Psychotext 30 Jan 2013 14:42:01 53,946 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think that's going to be a big part of it though.

"All this, for nothing?"

Mr Rabbit will probably be Wilson Wilson.
  • jellyhead 30 Jan 2013 14:47:07 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    That's the audio lass, i recognize the name from imdb. Neat.

• Mr_Sleep 30 Jan 2013 14:48:55 16,933 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Mr Rabbit will probably be Wilson Wilson.
    Hah :-D

You are a factory of sadness.

• ModishNouns 30 Jan 2013 14:49:59 4,655 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    BillCityfingers wrote:
    Been trying to watch ep2 on my bloody 4oD Xbox app for days and the fecking thing is not working, really want to see it as loved ep1.
    This D:

Going to admit defeat and use the wife's netbook, I think. That has HDMI out.
  • glaeken 30 Jan 2013 15:27:28 11,143 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Episode 2 amused me. "Generally guns don't have safeties, only on telly"

/hands back gun which clearly has a safety on the side

\o/
    That got me. The writer was trying to be smart while demonstrating they were not. It would actually be pretty tricky to find a hand gun without a safety. I always struggle to see how a writer can make that sort of mistake. I know this type of thing does not bother a lot of people but basic failures in such things always makes me think the writer is assuming the audience is too stupid to know better. Itís annoying. Do some basic fact checking writers !!!

Still maybe it all takes place in an alternate reality where guns really don't have safetyís.
  • jellyhead 30 Jan 2013 15:36:28 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I thought it was her bullshitting someone who knew nothing about guns?

• glaeken 30 Jan 2013 15:59:46 11,143 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They said the most guns don't have safety's line after they had the gun. It's a bit of a TV trope saying the safety is still on to someone threatening you with a gun so they seemed to be trying to be smart by pointing out the trope was nonsense anyway. Only of course what they said was bollocks.

To me either the writer is a retard or they think I am. Not sure which is better.

Edited by glaeken at 16:05:49 30-01-2013
  • jellyhead 30 Jan 2013 16:06:51 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Actually, now i think about it, yeah, you're right. It did bug me when i saw it but i've mellowed over the years so meh, i let it pass.

• glaeken 30 Jan 2013 16:14:42 11,143 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I got past it and luckily nothing else came along that took me out of any other scenes. I do tend to be very picky on off technical details though.
  • Deleted user 30 January 2013 16:26:00
    jellyhead wrote:
    That's what I took from it.
  • Deleted user 30 January 2013 16:27:14
    ModishNouns wrote:
    BillCityfingers wrote:
    This D:

Going to admit defeat and use the wife's netbook, I think. That has HDMI out.
    Got half of it watched at lunch time. Seemed to behave itself! Will probably fuck up again tonight when I try the rest and ep3 though...
  • Psychotext 30 Jan 2013 16:30:54 53,946 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    jellyhead wrote:
    Really didn't come off that way. Especially as she was saying it as she handed it back. Wouldn't fit the character either.
  • Lukus 30 Jan 2013 16:31:05 19,050 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    DaM wrote:
    Lukus wrote:
    I can't see why. The schedules are full of whodunit murder programs for the masses. I think murder and violence should be as graphic as it is in real life. Midsomer Murders and the like just trivialise it.
    Not that it was particularly graphic, cos it wasn't, I mean more for the context. Shooting up kids, people get a bit touchy about that stuff. Particularly when it's quite close to all the stuff in America of late.

And why on earth would you want it to be as graphic as real life? That's strikes me as a little strange.

Edited by Lukus at 16:33:32 30-01-2013

Paintings & Photographs

• Psychotext 30 Jan 2013 16:32:49 53,946 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I was surprised by it, but fair play to them for sticking with it.

On the face of it, when would you fit it in anyway? There seems to be a school shooting in America every few months.
  • Lukus 30 Jan 2013 16:35:18 19,050 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    True, I have no personal objection to it. I just thought at the time "I bet people complain about this".

Paintings & Photographs

• LockeTribal 30 Jan 2013 17:13:25 4,512 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Really enjoying it so far. Like the whole conspiracy angle and the acting's not too bad (well in my opinion anyway).

@Psychotext cheers for the link to the music, just thinking of where I could find some of it and there you are ;)
  • monkehhh 30 Jan 2013 21:37:10 3,294 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I love Neil Maskell (I love Kill List).
  • Deleted user 31 January 2013 00:43:40
    monkehhh wrote:
    I love Neil Maskell (I love Kill List).
    He's brilliant in this. Just caught up and still loving it. It's pulling no punches, I like my tv programmes not afraid to court controversy, too many play it safe.

Also, kill list just arrived yesterday from amazon. Been a while since I've seen it going to watch it again at the weekend I reckon.

Edited by BillCityfingers at 00:44:36 31-01-2013
  • HarryPalmer 25 Feb 2013 10:31:26 3,252 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Caught up with the final 2 episodes last night.

Really enjoyed the first episode but feel it went gradually downhill, with the exception of the school incident - which was brutal.

It looks great, but the acting was fairly crap, Neil Maskell was far and away the best thing in it. And by the end it was too pre-occupied with having a twist every 5 minutes to have a satisfying ending.
  • Page

of 4 First / Last