The Wheel of Time books

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Sarahshade 8 Jan 2013 23:36:49 139 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I just got back into reading the first Wheel of Time book, Eye of The World.
    I absolutely love it!

Any other fans out there?
    Which characters do like and dislike the most ?

No spoilers please I'm only half way through.

Edited by Sarahshade at 23:41:17 08-01-2013

Xbox gamertag: Sarah Doherty22
    Steam: Sarahshade1
    3DS: 0903-3840-7897

• Deleted user 8 January 2013 23:38:50
    Robert Jordan dies
  • ZuluHero 8 Jan 2013 23:42:44 3,668 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Is it a biography of all the past presenters on wheel of fortune? My favourite character was Nicky Campbell.

Edited by ZuluHero at 23:43:40 08-01-2013
  • DanoFNG 9 Jan 2013 00:32:01 168 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    A friend of mine has been following the series for years and convinced me to start reading it last year - been reading them exclusively and fairly excessively since. They are on the whole fantastic though very slow paced (to say the least) in places.

With the 14th and final book (out today, I believe?) due to arrive on my doorstep tomorrow I've managed to enjoy the books whilst avoiding the annoying wait between entries. Looking forward to what I hope will be a satisfying conclusion.

Favourite characters are probably Rand and Mat. I dislike Elayne, Faile and Gawyn with a passion.
  • Deleted user 9 January 2013 00:59:54
    Think I got about four or five books in and quit.

The first one is pretty much Lord Of The Rings with some minor changes. The ones I read after it were molasses slow, the author couldn't write women at all (braid tugging and meddling a-go-go!) and most of the characters were unlikable/poorly developed.
  • Jazzy_Geoff 9 Jan 2013 01:04:22 7,767 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Is this the series with all the s&m or the one about the false dragon or the one about the barman that used to be magic genius? None of them are a patch on that series about a planet called aaaaarggh memory malazan empire!
  • stryker1121 9 Jan 2013 03:56:11 602 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Sanderson finished up the series for Jordan - 14th and final book was just released or will be soon. Have thought about diving into the world but that's a big wheelbarrow full of doorstopper sized books! Worth my time or what, EG community?
  • Triggerhappytel 9 Jan 2013 07:26:12 2,664 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I started reading the series about ten years ago - get all the way up to the final book and Jordan goes and dies. I am deliberately waiting until the closing trilogy is released in paperback before buying and reading them. Looking forward to the return of Moraine, and presumably Lanfear. I can't honestly remember a huge amount of detail though, and I will probably re-read 'The World of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time' as a quick catch up on events. I think that takes it up to the end of book 8.
  • Stickman 9 Jan 2013 07:36:47 29,408 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bored the absolute hell out of me. You could condense all the useful story from 14 books into one and it would still be a bit of a slog.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• AwesomeWells 9 Jan 2013 07:54:31 400 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    In the process of doing a read through of the whole series in celebration of A Memory of Light coming out.

It all starts to go wrong around book 5. Lots if turgid prose, irrelevant 'plot' points and annoying characterisation. The true low point is book 10 where nothing happens at all.

Whether coincidence or not, the last books where Brandon Sanderson was involved have been much better.

Looking forward to reading the last one and then never touching then again.

/tugs braid
  • PazJohnMitch 9 Jan 2013 08:10:05 7,276 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Two people at work love this series and have been trying to convince me to read it.

One of them has a 2 hour commute though which means lots of reading time everyday.
  • robthehermit 9 Jan 2013 08:13:14 3,831 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Brandon Sanderson is awesome. If you haven't read them already, go out and get his Mistborn trilogy.

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• AwesomeWells 9 Jan 2013 08:16:28 400 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @robthehermit Agreed! The Mistborn series is fantastic. I only discovered his work due to him taking on the WoT work.
  • THFourteen 9 Jan 2013 08:17:39 31,817 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    i started reading these in 1997. Soon gave up after the 5th or 6th book, especially when i realised i wouldnt find out what happened for twenty years!

thinking about starting to read them again, but i only finished the sword of truth series last year (which was truly awesome, and better than this) so not sure if i can stomach it.
  • Sarahshade 9 Jan 2013 09:54:12 139 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I'm enjoying it but I will admit a few times I have been distracted ad tempted not to go back to reading.

Any suggestions for a good fantasy series then? Which isnt Game Of Thrones.

• THFourteen 9 Jan 2013 09:57:29 31,817 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yep - sword of truth!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sword_of_Truth
  • Sarahshade 9 Jan 2013 10:36:32 139 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @THFourteen actually looks pretty good. I think I'll finish off eye of the world and then give this a go.

• Tryhard 9 Jan 2013 11:25:27 3,485 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I read the first few when they came out.But I was more into reading David Gemmell,Robert E Howard & Michael Moorcock fantasy/heroic books.
  • Salaman 9 Jan 2013 11:37:12 18,249 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Triggerhappytel wrote:
    I started reading the series about ten years ago - get all the way up to the final book and Jordan goes and dies.
    OMG! You spoilered the whole thing!
    Recall reading about this soemwhere. Might be an interesting thing to get into if it's any good.
  • Salaman 9 Jan 2013 11:37:54 18,249 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    double post

Edited by Salaman at 11:43:20 09-01-2013
  • spamdangled 9 Jan 2013 11:50:11 27,197 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Sarahshade wrote:
    I'm enjoying it but I will admit a few times I have been distracted ad tempted not to go back to reading.

The first Riftwar Trilogy (Magician, Silverthorn and A Darkness at Sethanon) are fantastic. The Empire trilogy, which acts as a side-quel to the Riftwar from characters on the otherside of the conflict, is possibly one of the best fantasy sagas I've read of all time (Daughter of the Empire, Mistress of the Empire, Servant of the Empire). All by Raymond E Feist. The later books are ok, but he sort of lost the magic by the mid-90s and some of them feel like they were just being written for the paycheck.

If you like Game of Thrones (i.e lots of political maneuvering and backstabbing) then I can't recommend the Empire trilogy enough.

Also very good is the Memory, Sorrow and Thorn trilogy by Tad Williams.

Edited by darkmorgado at 11:55:22 09-01-2013

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• quadfather 9 Jan 2013 11:57:55 10,549 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The first Law trilogy (starting with The blade itself) by Jo Abercrombie is good if you like it pretty gritty with some militia based stuff in there. Humour too.

Earthsea quartet is good too

Mistborn one

Malazen book of the fallen is good as well

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• El_MUERkO 9 Jan 2013 12:02:51 16,836 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I started reading them 21 years ago, shit! that long ago, when my aunt got me the first three books for Christmas, I think I reread books one to three 15-20 times in my teenage years, loved the pacing of the first four books but after that Jordan starts to get bogged down by the number of character arc's he has going at the same time.

Unwilling to kill anyone off and having all the main characters doing their own thing slowed the pace, then he got really into writing about the women characters having bitchy chats with each other.

Then around Path of Daggers he started having important events happen 'off-screen', mentioned in passing by characters after the fact. For example: One of the pivotal moments of the first book for me was Rand's exploration of Caemlyn where he sees Logain being brought through the city. It was an important moment and foreshadowed an eventual meeting between the two, a meeting that was teased many times throughout the story. Their first meeting and Logain's promotion to the head of the Asha-man is 'remembered' by Rand in half a page. Jordan spent more words on the girls wedding dresses than rounding out a character arc properly.

While it's tragic that he died Sanderson really revived the story for me, the books got their pacing back and my concern for the ending fell away.

Anyway, the final book is on my desk right now, will get to reading it soon as I have some time, it'll be nice to finish it :)
  • spamdangled 9 Jan 2013 12:04:49 27,197 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The Book of Words trilogy by J V Jones is also brilliant.

The Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb.

Gormenghast is an all-time classic.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• quadfather 9 Jan 2013 12:05:06 10,549 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah, what is it with the women's clothing thing? It seems they spend more time smoothing down their skirts and pulling their own hair than anything else

• El_MUERkO 9 Jan 2013 12:17:47 16,836 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    AwesomeWells wrote:
    @robthehermit Agreed! The Mistborn series is fantastic. I only discovered his work due to him taking on the WoT work.
    Snap. Me too, only read the first few Mistborn.

THFourteen wrote:
    i started reading these in 1997. Soon gave up after the 5th or 6th book, especially when i realised i wouldnt find out what happened for twenty years!

thinking about starting to read them again, but i only finished the sword of truth series last year (which was truly awesome, and better than this) so not sure if i can stomach it.
    I finished the Sword of Thruth series but I felt it went downhill over time, started well but ended weakly.

Graveland wrote:
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Sarahshade wrote:

The first Riftwar Trilogy (Magician, Silverthorn and A Darkness at Sethanon) are fantastic. The Empire trilogy, which acts as a side-quel to the Riftwar from characters on the otherside of the conflict, is possibly one of the best fantasy sagas I've read of all time (Daughter of the Empire, Mistress of the Empire, Servant of the Empire). All by Raymond E Feist. The later books are ok, but he sort of lost the magic by the mid-90s and some of them feel like they were just being written for the paycheck.

If you like Game of Thrones (i.e lots of political maneuvering and backstabbing) then I can't recommend the Empire trilogy enough.
    Magician is superb. I need to read the rest of the trilogy.
    I second that, Feist's books are very good, there is a bit of a dip in quality after the Empire trilogy (which if fucking amazing!) but I do like how he's willing to move time forward so you can discover how characters who lived 'happily ever after' got on {Jimmy the Hand :sniff}).

Tad Williams 'Memory, Sorrow & Thorn' trilogy is amazing, which makes everything he's done since suck massive balls!

My all time favourite fantasy series has to be 'The Malazan books of the fallen', utter genius from start to finish.
  • quadfather 9 Jan 2013 12:19:36 10,549 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Tad Williams 'Memory, Sorrow & Thorn' trilogy is amazing, which makes everything he's done since suck massive balls!
    Completely forgot about that - great call

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous