Announced in Nintendo direct

Starts at 7 minutes and 17 seconds

Edited by ResidentKnievel at 11:21:22 08-01-2013

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• ResidentKnievel 8 Jan 2013 11:24:26 6,126 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    At 8m11s you can see they're still using 4 way directional controls despite being a 3D world. The framerate and aliasing look painfully bad, but there's still time for it to improve, and it looks pretty bland in wide open areas.

Still though, I'm excited.

Edited by ResidentKnievel at 11:26:01 08-01-2013

• DFawkes 8 Jan 2013 12:40:27 22,613 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I know it was always inevitable, so this isn't really a surprise, but WANT!

I think the thing I'm most pleased with is how good it looks, given they could've easily coasted. They could've just used the same art style and 2D models in the battles and probably sold well enough. Of course I've no idea if they've made changes to the core game, but I'd still be happy with having a new map to explore, filled with new Pokemon :)

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 8 Jan 2013 12:41:38 10,852 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    As always with the Pokemon titles, this is evolution not revolution.

Still, looking forward to this as I didn't bother with Black & White 2.
  • LeoliansBro 8 Jan 2013 12:45:42 43,245 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Don't worry, neither did Molyneaux.

HEEEEYYYOOOOOOO

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• mikew1985 8 Jan 2013 12:49:57 12,610 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hmm, that looks really poor graphically and the frame rate looks terrible.

It looks like a DS game.
  • trotskyicepick 8 Jan 2013 16:24:33 344 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's one thing creating a 3D world but that is not why I got bored of Pokemon in the end, it was the dire generic story of becoming pokemon champion again and again and again.
  • DFawkes 8 Jan 2013 16:54:40 22,613 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You should give Black/White and their sequels a go, becoming champion is almost an irrelevant sidequest to the main story. They at least tried to bring up the moral issues around ordering animals to do you bidding. I'm not saying it worked or didn't, but it's at least attempted, giving them probably the strongest stories in the series so far.

The visuals for the battles in XY look fantastic, with nicely detailed monsters and a more dynamic feel in general. The field screen I'm not as sold on. I was going to say mikew was exaggerating saying it looked like a DS game, then I remembered Dragon Quest Joker - it really doesn't even look as good as that! A little disappointing, but if the gameplay is good I could see past it :)

Edited by DFawkes at 16:56:18 08-01-2013

• Shikasama 8 Jan 2013 17:00:57 6,630 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I said it in the comments of the article but I'll repeat myself because I'm right - the gameplay needs to speed the fuck up.

I like Pokemon and I like the concept and all that, but after a little while the treacle like speed of the battles as you wait for every action and reaction is like water torture for the soul.
  • mikew1985 8 Jan 2013 17:02:37 12,610 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dfawkes - The DS game it reminds me so much of is DQIX which itself looks pretty ass even for a DS game.
  • DFawkes 8 Jan 2013 17:19:08 22,613 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sorry I wasn't clear, I was agreeing with you with that Dragon Quest Monsters example, which looks great. I assume it's probably the same engine as DQIX.

• WinterSnowblind 8 Jan 2013 18:30:06 1,225 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @mikew1985 I think you're over estimating the DS/3DS' capabilities if you think these games look bad. Yes, there are better looking games on those systems, but these are HUGE 3D RPG's with a lot of monster data to store.

Even considering that, I don't see what's so bad looking about these though.
  • DFawkes 8 Jan 2013 18:39:29 22,613 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's not bad as such, just disappointing given there are better looking DS games, and the 3DS is capable of a lot more. Especially given how great games that really embrace their cartoony styles, like Kid Icarus, Mario 3D Land and Skylanders.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting sweeping vistas, and I can understand why they went for a more familiar art style (much like Pokemon DS stuck close the the GBA versions), but it could still have been a great opportunity to really push the visuals of the series a bit.

• DFawkes 8 Jan 2013 18:42:45 22,613 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Actually after rewatching I disagree with my own post there, it has a great balance between Pokemon stylings and pushing the visuals a bit. I don't think something like DQ would've worked.

• mal 8 Jan 2013 18:50:53 22,341 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Jesus, they really did milk the DS, didn't they?

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Deleted user 8 January 2013 19:27:21
    I love Pokemon so this might tempt me to re-buy a 3DS. Might. Probably won't though as it looks a bit shite.
  • Daryoon 8 Jan 2013 19:44:11 4,602 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think environments can take a graphical hit when you've 800-odd unique characters to model and animate, alongside fuck knows how many attacks.
  • ResidentKnievel 8 Jan 2013 19:51:12 6,126 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    WinterSnowblind wrote:
    @mikew1985 I think you're over estimating the DS/3DS' capabilities if you think these games look bad. Yes, there are better looking games on those systems, but these are HUGE 3D RPG's with a lot of monster data to store.

The examples they gave that look better than X/Y were HUGE 3D RPG's with a lot of monster data to store. Monster Hunter 3 and 4 have more complicated mechanics than a pokemon game and also look vastly superior.

Nintendo have been incredibly unambitious in the graphics and overworld mechanics departments looking at the video, especially when you consider the 3DS' capabilities.

I know I should have expected this, as Ignatius says Pokemon is all about evolution rather than revolution, but I was really hoping they'd take risks once the series got on to hardware that could manage 3D well.

Edited by ResidentKnievel at 19:56:13 08-01-2013

• Sarahshade 9 Jan 2013 10:39:09 139 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    After skipping pokemon black 2 I will 100% gettin this, its a good change for the pokemon games turning them into 3D. I admit the graphics are jaw dropping but its something new for pokemon fans.

Xbox gamertag: Sarah Doherty22
    Steam: Sarahshade1
    3DS: 0903-3840-7897

• mikew1985 9 Jan 2013 17:08:59 12,610 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ResidentKnievel wrote:
    WinterSnowblind wrote:

The examples they gave that look better than X/Y were HUGE 3D RPG's with a lot of monster data to store. Monster Hunter 3 and 4 have more complicated mechanics than a pokemon game and also look vastly superior.

Nintendo have been incredibly unambitious in the graphics and overworld mechanics departments looking at the video, especially when you consider the 3DS' capabilities.

I know I should have expected this, as Ignatius says Pokemon is all about evolution rather than revolution, but I was really hoping they'd take risks once the series got on to hardware that could manage 3D well.
    Yep.

Im fully aware of the DS and 3DS' respective capabilities. This looks like one of the worst looking 3DS games Ive seen. I understand there is a trade off due to the scope, but definitely not justification enough for the poor visuals on show here.

That and the frame rate looks like utter wank. That really is inexcusable with those graphics.

Edited by mikew1985 at 17:09:12 09-01-2013
  • DFawkes 9 Jan 2013 20:56:12 22,613 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm not sure what you're on about in regards to frame rate, it's definitely fine on every video I've seen. What browser/device did you watch it on? I've watched it on my old 2nd gen iPod Touch, my Xperia Play and on my laptop with Google Chrome 23.0.1271.97 (which it says is the latest but I never update) and the video clearly doesn't show any issues with frame rate at all.

• ResidentKnievel 9 Jan 2013 21:22:14 6,126 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I expect the framerate and maybe the aliasing to be addressed before it's launched, if they don't then playing this is going to give me headaches.

Go to 7m36s and try to focus on the grass at the edge of the path he's walking on to see the poor frame rate and aliasing in action, when the girl is walking along the river it's a slideshow. It's not such a problem in battles, just the overworld.

Edited by ResidentKnievel at 21:25:28 09-01-2013

• darrenb 9 Jan 2013 21:40:04 676 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I really thought a WiiU pokemon would have been announced by now..

The Skylanders model would suit it perfectly.

Say the game was sold at retail and uses the NFC tech in the controller.

The came could be bundled with a random selection of mini toys ( a bit like the latest angry birds / Gogo's) each with a small NFC chip in them. There are normally 200+ Pokemon per game and newsagents could sell the toys to boost the collection for a couple of quid a piece.

Battles could be played over Wifi. If you lose a battle then your opponent can steal the level of your character and transfer it to his toy of the same type or bank it in their pokedex for when they get it if it is one they havent got. Your toy then goes back to level 1 ready to fight another day.

There could be lots of trading of physical toys between kids like they already do with current throwaway collectable toys.

I pitched this to my 6 year old and he was mad on the idea.

I know id be suckered into buying it :-)
  • DFawkes 9 Jan 2013 21:49:19 22,613 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I was thinking, since they've already done Pokemon Heartgold/Soulsilver with that Pedometer, that they could do another one of those with the NFC gubbins in it. That way, you've got the LCD display to show any of the 700 Pokemon you choose to store in it instead of needing to do all those models. It'd also retain the IR function so it could communicate with 3DS or Wii U.

Probably not technically/financially feasible though.

• danathjo 27 Feb 2013 23:27:11 7,240 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Seems as good a place as any...

Quick need to make a decision, drunkenly bought a Super Gameboy and have no Gameboy games for it, then I thought..WAIT! I've never ever played a Pokemon game like EVER!

So after a quick search to see which ones are compatible with the SGB I have to choose between Gold, Red, Blue, Silver or Yellow. So EGers, which one is he best one?
  • liamthemaster 27 Feb 2013 23:33:16 1,558 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'd go Red if you want to see where it begins also CHARAFUCKINGZARD. Yellow was a bit meh iirc even though I enjoyed it when I was younger.
  • danathjo 27 Feb 2013 23:34:52 7,240 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ah so Red is the first one?
  • danathjo 27 Feb 2013 23:36:39 7,240 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Is Gold any good, seems to be going for the cheapest on Ebay...don't want to pay too much to supplement my drunken purchase :)
  • Kid_Icarus 27 Feb 2013 23:59:29 556 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Red and Blue were the first games, Yellow was the same game but you start with a Pikachu.

Gold and Silver were the sequels and much better imo. They added breeding, day and night cycles and a couple of new Pokémon types (dark and steel) to balance it out. They've also got the biggest world to explore. I'd go for one of them unless you have a DS, in which case get the remakes.
  • danathjo 28 Feb 2013 00:17:42 7,240 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    sold, have added a whole lot if gold and silver's to my watchlist Thanks for your help!
  • Page

of 17 First / Last

Previous