Do you follow food storage advice? Page 3

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Next
  • Zerobob 7 Jan 2013 19:04:58 1,605 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I tend to just judge the food myself, rather than go off the "use by" date, or "consume within x days after opening".

It's crazy the way supermarkets sell you vast quantities of certain products and advise to consume the whole lot within 1 day, such as fresh loaves of bread, for example. Even if I was having a party with loads of people attending, I'd likely buy the food the day before... who is this food intended for?!

I've eaten fresh loaves up to a week after purchase and it's been perfectly fine. It's about time supermarkets got a bit more realistic. It just encourages wasting food.
  • jonsaan 7 Jan 2013 19:05:55 25,342 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just smell it. If it smells bad, it is bad.

FCUTA!

• ronuds 7 Jan 2013 19:10:30 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Zerobob wrote:
    It's about time supermarkets got a bit more realistic. It just encourages wasting food.
    Well, you can't blame the supermarkets for wanting to give people a reason to buy more food! :p The milk's use-by date is usually pretty close, though.

But I once continued using a jar of mayo after it was well over a year past the expiration date.

Edited by ronuds at 19:11:46 07-01-2013
  • Deleted user 7 January 2013 19:12:52
    You can keep eggs wherever you want them. It's temperature changes that make them go bad quickly (so keeping them in a cupboard then bunging them in the fridge). But they're porous so absorb smells and flavours from whatever they're around, so if you've got a particularly stinky fridge (as all students and/or unemployed types seem to have) it'll make the eggs taste weird.

Then again, I'm thinking about frying bacon and leaving it next to the eggs so I get bacon flavoured eggs, because that'll be the best thing ever.
  • CosmicFuzz 7 Jan 2013 19:13:31 23,869 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ronuds wrote:
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    you don't buy them from the chilled section of supermarkets
    They're chilled at the supermarket where I shop...
    It is? Well then I will let you off. It's not in the Sainsburys by me.

Episode 5 of our gaming podcast Open Source is a Gamescom Special. Check it out here!

• mrpon 7 Jan 2013 19:13:58 28,765 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You've got crap bacon though meme :p

Edited by mrpon at 19:14:26 07-01-2013

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Deleted user 7 January 2013 19:15:12
    I've got damn good bacon which I buy regularly from the upper-class organic market well outside my price range. Not any of that shitty grill-until-it's-a-stick stuff.
  • ronuds 7 Jan 2013 19:15:50 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fry your bacon and save the grease in the fridge. Then you can have bacon-flavoured everything!
  • Rusty_M 7 Jan 2013 19:28:25 4,651 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Fry the bacon, then fry the eggs in the same pan. Nothing better than bacon fat for frying eggs.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• localnotail 8 Jan 2013 01:12:36 23,093 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    jonsaan wrote:
    Just smell it. If it smells bad, it is bad.
    +1. The nose knows.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• Rens11 8 Jan 2013 02:40:05 1,395 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    ronuds wrote:
    I used to leave the bread out, but it would always get mould long before we were finished eating it.

If you get a good loaf, it'll stay nicely in the fridge for over a month. It's definitely more dry, but better than throwing it out.

Also, toast isn't affected.
    Shit bread will last a month, proper bread goes off after only a few days and is best kept out of the fridge.

Dont kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, hed eat you and everyone you care about!

• Deleted user 8 January 2013 03:13:39
    I've heard it bandied around that a lot of IBS (or at least stomach crapiness in general) are often caused by eating too much shit bread, that the process in order to make it by the thousands and to keep it edible for a billion years throws our digestive system out of whack, from the ridiculously high levels of yeast and gluten. Dunno how true it is, but I usually feel pretty crappy after eating supermarket bread, but don't when eating anything handmade from an organic bakery or whatever.
  • Khanivor 8 Jan 2013 03:24:07 40,547 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    It has been mentioned numerous times, but a sliced loadin the freezer is great
    Come on! No one?

Edited by Khanivor at 03:24:32 08-01-2013
  • DodgyPast 8 Jan 2013 04:20:39 8,449 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oddly enough how long left over cooked prawns last is something that's been bugging me for ages.

Always felt nervous about anything more than 24 hours.
  • Nanocrystal 8 Jan 2013 04:25:14 1,013 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I was wondering the same about leftover rare steak. Had some last night that had been refrigerated for 48 h. Did give it a good zap in the microwave but it was still pretty red in the middle.
  • Khanivor 8 Jan 2013 04:29:48 40,547 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If it doesn't smell funky then eat it.

Which is a problem with food from the sea, which smells funky while its still alive.
  • jonsaan 8 Jan 2013 07:39:29 25,342 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It isn't really though. Bad seafood will make you gag when smelt, as opposed to reminding you of that scout disco in '84.

FCUTA!

• Carbon_Altered 8 Jan 2013 07:53:59 675 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:
    Which is a problem with food from the sea, which smells funky while its still alive.
    No it doesn't - you shouldn't eat smelly fish as it means it isn't fresh. Good fresh fish won't smell.
  • ZuluHero 8 Jan 2013 09:33:15 4,100 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Eggs last longer in the fridge, you can use them for weeks after the 'use-by date' if you do. If you're storing them at room temperature, which incidental needs to be a CONSTANT room temperature otherwise you get all sorts of mould and bacteria growing on them and in the pores of the shell (which can cause salmonella) due to fluctuation in heat and humidity. You will also need to use them up sooner as recommended by the use-by date.

Your kitchen suffers from the greatest amount of fluctuation in the whole of your house, due to cooking and stuff. The temp inside your fridge is generally consistent which is why eggs should really be stored in a fridge. If you have a parlour separate from the kitchen then would be OK as well.

My uncle is a chicken farmer.

Edited by ZuluHero at 09:35:02 08-01-2013
  • Tonka 8 Jan 2013 09:53:07 20,222 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I put stuff in the fridge and I don't leave things in metal cans.
    And most importantly, never ever store food in a container that used to have anything BUT food in it. So even if that Oxy Fresh plastic jar with screw on top would be perfect for soup.. just don't.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Trane 8 Jan 2013 11:20:12 4,050 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    Trane wrote:
    mrpon wrote:
    DON'T FUCK WITH MY BOILED EGG TIMINGS!!
    Take eggs at room temperature, add sufficient water to cover the eggs in the pan from your hot tap (as hot as it comes).

Put pan on the hob, once boiling, time for 3 minutes et voila - the perfect soft-boiled egg.
    Or take eggs from the fridge, add boiling water and on the hob for 5 minutes. Use the rest of the boiling water for a cuppa.

:)
    My method is quicker, so fnar!
  • Shikasama 8 Jan 2013 11:58:45 6,757 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    DodgyPast wrote:
    Oddly enough how long left over cooked prawns last is something that's been bugging me for ages.

Always felt nervous about anything more than 24 hours.

My flatmate at University decided to fry up some prawns that were 4 days out of date. Ordinarily this would be bad enough for me because I fucking hate them, but I can't really do justice to the sheer horror of the smell that was produced. It was beyond awful. It smelt (and tasted, one of those really cloying aromas you smell in the back of your throat) like he had taken his unwashed, month old boxers and slapped me in the face with them. Then made me eat them.

It really was horrendous, we were both sick and the house stunk for days. Even just remembering it now is making me want to vomit.
  • Rens11 8 Jan 2013 12:21:52 1,395 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm quite bad with leaving things on the side overnight cooked poultry, meats etc. and still eating it the next day or 2, wouldn't risk it with fish though! My mate will eat anything dodgy he eats mouldy pate, not sure how he's still alive must have superhuman gut bacteria

Dont kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, hed eat you and everyone you care about!

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Next