Official War Thunder thread

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous
  • Tabasco 6 Jan 2013 00:45:26 5,780 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Have been messing about with War Thunder today and am very impressed so far. Pretty damn slick and very fun to play!

Comparisons with World of Warplanes are to be expected but having tried both I have to say that WT is far far better.

The major thing for me is the control system. WoWP controls are a mess regardless of input method, be it K/m, pad or proper stick. WT's way is just better. Haven't tried the pad yet but k/m is very easy to use.

The 'planes' part is the only section that is available right now but plans to add a ground based section AND a navel part is very exciting. All three types will be seemless with each other, not sure how that will work but looking forward to all three components being added.

http://warthunder.com/

Ingame is AltTab, feel free to add me :)

Edit - Should add that the game is now in Global open beta so all can join!

Edited by Tabasco at 00:46:52 06-01-2013
  • Dr_Mech 14 Jan 2013 05:27:37 1,009 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Been watching the Mighty Jingles play this and I'm very much a treadhead, while the game looks a lot better than World of Tanks (for one thing no premium ammo) I sadly won't be interested until they add in the tank arm of things.

I get the feeling that the ground units will probably be the last thing added since aircraft + ships is a much easier thing to balance (ships have their own anti-aircraft guns and can be used to bombard ground targets) than aircraft + tanks, where tanks have very little anti-aircraft fire of their own beyond the cupola mounted machinegun that some of them had.

Saying that, yeah everything I've heard about War Thunder says that it is miles ahead of World of Warplane.
  • [maven] 26 Jan 2013 09:12:40 5,152 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've given this a try, and it does indeed control quite well with the mouse. I never played World of Tanks though, so all this levelling and XP (dual currency + conversion and tiers and ohgodidon'tknow) bollocks is a mystery to me.
    The single-player missions are also decently well-produced, and it looks pretty.

So, all in all, interesting (and free!).
  • Tabasco 27 Jan 2013 12:07:28 5,780 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Been playing some more of this and am REALLY enjoying it!

Mav you are right in saying that the system is a little messy at the moment but I'm starting to get to grips with it so any Q's feel free to ask...

The GUI is also a little messy but they are still adding and refining it so that's not a problem for me.
  • RobAnybody 15 Feb 2013 18:56:01 884 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Just downloading this after watching a few LPs on YouTube. Looks to be a hell of a lot better than World of Warplanes!
  • Tabasco 18 Feb 2013 21:44:45 5,780 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Still playing and having a blast!

Really need to look into joining either a clan or a group of players as there are more and more of these in game now. Can become very dangerous getting on someone's 6 only to find they have backup ;)

Nearly at Level 7 on the Brits and US, level 5 for the rest. Spitfires are just a joy to fly, they got that spot on!

Get yer arses into this one guys, you'll love it, even if, like me, your not really into flight sims and the like....
  • Tabasco 18 Feb 2013 21:49:41 5,780 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oh and a wee pro tip, DO NOT put any skill points into the gunners tab if the plane is a single seater. I did and pretty much wasted points that could have been used to bump up reload speed/repair or G force ect...

Kicking myself that I didn't read up first, ah well :p
  • RobAnybody 11 Mar 2013 14:26:27 884 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Still playing this and loving it - it's even more fun than World of Tanks. :D
  • BillMurray 12 Mar 2013 00:44:11 7,624 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Had a quick go on this earlier and liking it much more than WoT/WoWP. Only tried it with the 360 pad so far but thinking about switch to mouse and keyboard as i'm struggling to leading my targets with the analogue sticks. My thumbs are far too twitchy and crap.
  • RobAnybody 12 Mar 2013 08:58:39 884 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Mouse and keyboard is definitely the best control method (for me anyhow).
  • Tabasco 12 Mar 2013 23:52:26 5,780 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah M/K for me too. It's (unfortunately possibly?) the easiest of the 3 methods for accurate shooting. Although going historical or FRB evens the score with a pad or stick.

Up to lvl 7 and 8 in each of the countries, loving the US, Japs and UK the most so far.

And the one thing that makes this so much more fun to play than either WoT or WoWP? The fact that you can play well, be on the losing team, and be rewarded for YOUR performance and not the team. It's just more fun..
  • BillMurray 1 Apr 2013 13:15:11 7,624 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
  • DanB24 1 Apr 2013 13:37:44 1,799 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Gave this a 1st quick try last night and am very impressed.
    It's soooo much better than World of Warplanes in every way, not least the fact it's got British planes in it! :D
    If they can produce a decent companion tank game then Wargaming.net can shove their massively Russian bias WoT and laughable WoWP up their arses.
  • Tabasco 1 Apr 2013 19:23:10 5,780 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    As an April fool, the My little pony thing is light years ahead of most crap you see online. Can't believe they spent as much time as they did making it :D

I knew you'd like it Dan ;)
  • DanB24 2 Apr 2013 17:39:25 1,799 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cool ;)
    Not much clue what I'm doing yet but I having fun none the less. :)
  • DanB24 3 Apr 2013 23:01:31 1,799 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yup fun!

And yes it seems I was pushing it with my low level bombing lol.
  • DanB24 4 Apr 2013 13:46:15 1,799 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ok here's a question for those of you here who are WT veterans.
    Is there a limit on how many aircraft you can take or use in a battle?
    As if there isn't then doesn't that mean that he who has the most planes wins?
    Or he who pays to have extra slots to have the most planes wins?
  • Tabasco 4 Apr 2013 14:46:53 5,780 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Kinda.

You start with three in each nation. You can unlock another two via ingame credits. And then you can unlock more with ingame Gold.

While it does seem to be pay to win on paper, in reality even if you had 9 slots, you'd be the only one left on your team so would be quickly downed anyway.

I've had games were I've played three of my five planes and then stopped because the other team is far better than my own. I don't mins the way it's set up at the mo if I'm honest.

Btw, epic pic :) I love holding on to one bomb should I ever have an enemy on my six, drop very low, have bomb activation set to 1 sec, bye bye enemy plane on my six ;)
  • DanB24 4 Apr 2013 17:38:59 1,799 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ah ok mate that makes reassuring sense. :)

Thanks! I'm very much enjoying flying my Havok. :)
    Ooh I'll have to see if I can find the options for bomb timings then!
  • urban 14 Apr 2013 18:15:22 10,926 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Can't stop fucking playing this game! garrgggh
  • Tabasco 14 Apr 2013 21:09:53 5,780 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    lol @ urban...

It's a bit addictive eh? ;)
  • urban 15 Apr 2013 20:36:59 10,926 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    horribly. 'oo but if I just play a couple more I'll get that weapon/plane/crew upgrade.' They've scaled it really well. fuckers.

Though I'm not sure how entirely secure it is because I got shot, took some left wing damage, had a leak, shook off the enemy and was just coasting back to the landing strip. Then all of a sudden I started taking sap damage, bits and pieces started falling off, fire and then exploded mid air.

It was a proper WTF moment

Edited by urban at 21:03:28 15-04-2013
  • Tabasco 16 Apr 2013 05:54:43 5,780 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah sounds like you were shot by incendiary rounds that continue to burn and do damage to your plane. The different shell types is something that was added in the most recent large patch.
  • DanB24 18 Apr 2013 19:57:39 1,799 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ha take that enemy plane!

Edited by DanB24 at 20:02:58 18-04-2013
  • Tabasco 20 Apr 2013 14:06:17 5,780 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Really is a lovely looking game innit? :D
  • DanB24 20 Apr 2013 14:12:20 1,799 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It really is. :D
  • DanB24 27 Apr 2013 18:18:17 1,799 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Woo hoo finally a got in a kill using my Tiffy in an HB. The planes a beast to try get the hang of.
  • RobAnybody 27 Apr 2013 18:51:55 884 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Haven't played this for a while, not enough time - mostly been playing World of Tanks and Terraria.
  • RobAnybody 14 May 2013 17:50:54 884 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    War Thunder coming to PS4 around Christmas 2013:

http://kotaku.com/war-thunder-is-headed-to-the-playstation-4-505438648
  • oldschoolsoviet 14 May 2013 18:18:25 5,458 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    After the half-hearted support to Sturmovik and the 'hot-potato-dropped' BoS, which has gathered the moniker of "WT Beta", I'm excited that Gaijin are continuing with console development, but I know it'll ultimately lead to yet another could've-should've-would've been situation.......

....but I still spent yesterday glitching map overlays to create new MP scenarios on BoS, and it's probably my most played game of last year. Head-tracking comment for the PS4 has me intrigued though.
  • Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous