The Vita is a *potential* failure because it's rubbish - discuss Page 4

• Page

of 9 First / Last

• Deleted user 3 January 2013 14:21:50
    Oh and I changed the thread title. Badly formatted titles offend me.
  • dominalien 3 Jan 2013 14:24:12 6,742 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's a sad day when powers bestowed to do good are used for evil.

PSN: DonOsito

• jonsaan 3 Jan 2013 14:27:16 25,249 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    HairyArse wrote:
    My sister was going to get a VITA for my nephew for Christmas. He's 7 and had seen one somewhere and begged for it. I told her not to waste her money and to instead buy him an iPad mini for cheaper games and the educational value it will bring.

She did, and he loves it.

To be fair, a seven year old would love a platic gun from poundland. No doubt he would have loved a vita too. Kids tend to love what they have.

FCUTA!

• Deleted user 3 January 2013 14:31:53
    I think it's stupid that a console that's barely a year old can be seen as a failure. It's not that bad, is it?
  • Deleted user 3 January 2013 14:34:00
    jonsaan wrote:
    HairyArse wrote:
    My sister was going to get a VITA for my nephew for Christmas. He's 7 and had seen one somewhere and begged for it. I told her not to waste her money and to instead buy him an iPad mini for cheaper games and the educational value it will bring.

She did, and he loves it.

To be fair, a seven year old would love a platic gun from poundland. No doubt he would have loved a vita too. Kids tend to love what they have.
    Indeed. I was also worried that it wouldn't have lasted two minutes in his hands, too. Plus, I'm not sure there are that many kid-friendly games available for it.
  • jonsaan 3 Jan 2013 14:36:01 25,249 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    LBP is all you need.

Having said that my kids love the ipad also, so it's all good.

FCUTA!

• LeoliansBro 3 Jan 2013 14:37:33 41,864 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    jonsaan wrote:
    LBP is all you need.
    For 300 notes?

That's like buying a WiiU for NSMB and hoping they make something good sometime soon.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• dominalien 3 Jan 2013 14:39:45 6,742 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    jonsaan wrote:
    LBP is all you need.
    For 300 notes?

That's like buying a WiiU for NSMB and hoping they make something good sometime soon.
    Isn't that what all WiiU owners just did?

• Benno 3 Jan 2013 14:40:39 9,392 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    zing
  • SYS64738 3 Jan 2013 14:47:55 1,512 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Been bitten with the PSPgo in the past (which incidentally is now my best handheld device purely for its CFW abilities - shouldn't have bothered with getting the Wiz 2 years ago); held the Vita in my hands quite a few times and while it is impressive hardware I won't be buying it.

The Vita's presence in shops is pretty depressing (hardly any games, very little shelf space in general, hidden in some dark corner), it really feels quite similar to when the Go was out.
  • Moot_Point 3 Jan 2013 15:01:00 3,507 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Latin wrote:
    Well, I've got my PSP with a whole load of games, just don't see the need to splurge 200+ on the Vita
    +1

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I can't believe this is still going. I'm far too hungover for this. I did not poop on a chair lol!

• Moot_Point 3 Jan 2013 15:09:18 3,507 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    If Sony had phased out support of supplying software via UMD by the time the PSP3000 model was released, it would have given the Vita a sporting chance by having a larger downloadable library of backward compatible games.

Any hardware company not considering all the options for backwards compatibility when releasing new hardware in the current economic climate, is killing their product before it is even released.

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I can't believe this is still going. I'm far too hungover for this. I did not poop on a chair lol!

• GuiltySpark 3 Jan 2013 15:25:55 6,281 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    SYS64738 wrote:
    held the Vita in my hands quite a few times and while it is impressive hardware I won't be buying it.
    ...did you turn it on?

Get bent.

• Luckyjim 3 Jan 2013 15:26:29 2,832 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think the writing's on the wall for dedicated handhelds in general.

As I've said before, the vita's actually one of the most competent gaming devices I've ever owned. Terrific machine. Its only failing is that it launched in the wrong gaming era. Sure, it might end up having a modest run, and not tanking. However, this won't attract the budgets and developer talent for the 'console-like' experience it's sold on.

Same problem with the 3DS. Despite strong sales at the moment there's no way the 3DS will be as successful as the DS. Also, where's all the third-party support gone for the 3DS? It's been out nearly two-years and there's very little quality beyond Nintendo's own offering - compared to the DS at the same point in its life-cycle. I suspect it's all moved over to smart-phone gaming.
  • nickthegun 3 Jan 2013 15:36:50 55,849 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Indeed, the 3DS makes the vita look like the second coming of jesus, awful piece of shit that it is.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• dominalien 3 Jan 2013 15:41:57 6,742 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You really are simply negative towards everything, aren't you? :-)

• ronuds 3 Jan 2013 15:45:50 21,788 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think blaming "the market" is just an excuse to cover up how badly Sony has handled the whole thing. An item will survive if it's appealing enough, which obviously the Vita is currently not for a number of reasons.

Makes me wonder how they'll do with the PS4 as they clearly haven't learned much from where they went wrong with the PS3.
  • Luckyjim 3 Jan 2013 15:49:26 2,832 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I actually quite like the 3DS, despite its obvious failings: stupidly rubbish battery, relatively small selection of games, daft online pricing, high launch price, region-locked, tying all purchases to a single machine and not an account.

I just wish it has as rich a gaming selection as the DS (after two-years). When that handheld hit its stride it was brilliant. Of course, the 3DS library is bound to expand, but I can't see it happening like it did with the DS. Those developers have just moved on to iOS/Android devices.
  • Popzeus 3 Jan 2013 15:50:34 8,250 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The 3DS is the worst-designed, worst-built, worst-supported piece of gaming hardware it's ever been my misfortune to buy. It boggles my mind that people who own one can slag the Vita off.

Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

• nickthegun 3 Jan 2013 15:50:58 55,849 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    You really are simply negative towards everything, aren't you? :-)
    I try not to be! I buy these useless lumps of plastic with genuine enthusiasm!

And, to clarify, I like the vita, i like the games on it, i just think its been a disaster of sonys own making. Im genuinely quite sad that its looking like being stillborn as I would love some more games for it.

The 3DS, on the other hand, i hate. Short battery life, terrible controls, rubbish games and stupid online stuff.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• dominalien 3 Jan 2013 15:52:13 6,742 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ronuds wrote:
    I think blaming "the market" is just an excuse to cover up how badly Sony has handled the whole thing. An item will survive if it's appealing enough, which obviously the Vita is currently not for a number of reasons.

Makes me wonder how they'll do with the PS4 as they clearly haven't learned much from where they went wrong with the PS3.
    That's an interesting point of view, because I think they did learn from the PS3, but picked up some tricks from Apple along the way not realising they're not Apple, and therefore cannot get away with stuff they can.

PS3: arrogance, exotic tech, high price.

Vita: no more arrogance, they're trying to be as nice as possible, good communication, standard tech, reasonable price (maybe it's high for what people think a "handheld" is worth, but it's still way cheaper than phones/tablets).

Tricks learned from Apple: proprietary everything, expensive accessories, saves tied to games.

• Popzeus 3 Jan 2013 15:54:38 8,250 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    "Good communication"? Come off it, the publicity at launch was non-existent. It took them until November to launch an ad campaign.

Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

• ronuds 3 Jan 2013 15:57:27 21,788 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    Tricks learned from Apple: proprietary everything, expensive accessories, saves tied to games.
    Sony has always done these things. Price is a major issue and that stems from hubris.
  • dominalien 3 Jan 2013 15:57:29 6,742 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Popzeus wrote:
    "Good communication"? Come off it, the publicity at launch was non-existent. It took them until November to launch an ad campaign.
    Marketing for the Vita is one thing, but I was really talking about the general Sony attitude, having evidently taken a few pointers from Microsoft, with it launching the blog(s), its execs coming across as nice, level-headed guys in interviews, this sort of thing.

• mrpon 3 Jan 2013 15:57:35 27,645 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Live or die I'm not too fussed, I'll just move onto the next big thing.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Luckyjim 3 Jan 2013 15:57:42 2,832 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ronuds wrote:

If Sony fuck up the PS4 then that'll be bad news for all gamers, whether they own a Sony machine or not. Could you imagine what MS would do if they had no competitor in the high-end console market. More homogeneity, advertisements, micro-transactions, Gold-membership etc etc.

We just about got away with this sort of monopoly during the PS2 era - mostly 'cos the PS2 was still a dedicated games console, the lack of online infrastructure and cheaper and shorter development cycles.

I actually think a lot of gamers will go PC only next gen.
  • dominalien 3 Jan 2013 15:59:53 6,742 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ronuds wrote:
    dominalien wrote:
    Sony has always done these things. Price is a major issue and that stems from hubris.
    Not really: they tried being pro-consumer with the PS3 and PSP with standard USB cables, standard memory cards (well, as standard as Sony were mentally capable of making them), standard HDDs, keeping back-compat on video cables, the PSP appearing as a mass-storage device on the computer. In the end, they probably simply saw it as lost revenue from accessories.

• SYS64738 3 Jan 2013 16:00:21 1,512 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    GuiltySpark wrote:
    SYS64738 wrote:
    held the Vita in my hands quite a few times and while it is impressive hardware I won't be buying it.
    ...did you turn it on?
    No, I had a good old lick though;)
  • RyanDS 3 Jan 2013 16:01:48 8,699 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    ronuds wrote:
    dominalien wrote:
    The price is an issue because it is a shit hot little piece of kit. You are getting what you pay for. Unlike the 3DS which is a 50 machine with the rest being more coke money for Miyamoto.
  • Luckyjim 3 Jan 2013 16:03:42 2,832 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Popzeus

I've owned and sold both (although I have since re-purchased a 3DS). I will happily admit that the Vita's hardware is significantly better in every way. Although, I will say that Nintendo's own software for the 3DS does trump a lot of what's available for the Vita.

My reason for selling my Vita was more personal. I've a lot of metal work in my right arm that severely hinders my movement. Unfortunately the exact dimensions, plus the second analogue stick, really really caused me a lot of pain. I could only play the thing in 10 minute burst. All the touch screen stuff was completely off limits.

It is strange though, the Wii U gamepad doesn't cause me anywhere near the same problems. I think it's because I had to hold the Vita closer to my face. Anyway, most unfortunate :(
  • Page

of 9 First / Last