The Vita is a *potential* failure because it's rubbish - discuss Page 2

• Page

of 9 First / Last

• imamazed 3 Jan 2013 09:59:15 5,535 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    People have been regularly picking them up for as low as 120 on this very forum.
    When amazon.de had german models on sale. The most common 'budget' price floating around is more like 160+ without a memory card which to me still seems far too much. I'll definitely be interested after a price cut, but it's simply not worth it at the moment.

People here seem to be enjoying the games on offer, and may even argue that the games lineup is actually thriving, and that's great, but that doesn't necessarily mean the console hasn't been a failure. Hundreds of thousands more people need to think like that! The dreamcast was enjoyed by many gamers and had some all-time classics, but was ultimately a failure. Not that the Vita is necessarily going down the same path.
  • elstoof 3 Jan 2013 09:59:56 7,033 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Murbal wrote:
    gaming on this is like moving from a soggy custard cream
    I don't think I want to come over to your "game night" any more Murbs.
  • nickthegun 3 Jan 2013 10:04:37 59,527 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    One of the fundamental problems was sonys continued fuckheaded insistence on using proprietary technology for everything.

When you price up a decent memory card and a game, its nudging 300 sheets which is mental.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• UncleLou Moderator 3 Jan 2013 10:06:23 35,513 posts
    Seen 51 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    GuiltySpark wrote:
    Smartphone gaming is such a non-entity in "actual" gaming terms, it shouldn't be the reference point for anything. Touch screen controls can NEVER be as good or as intuitive as actual controls, and this shows hugely in the games being made for it, in terms of depth and actual playability.
    So you're saying the toned down "AAA franchise" action games that seem to make the majority of the Vita's catalogue offer more depth than, say, Battle Academy, Ravenmark, or Avadon: The Black Fortress?

Smartphone gaming isn't just Angry Birds.

Edited by UncleLou at 10:06:36 03-01-2013
  • elstoof 3 Jan 2013 10:09:09 7,033 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've got mad love for mine, with a healthy stock pile of games and a list I can't justify paying for yet. One concern I have is buying a few month old game only for it to be pumped out on ps+ but its a bit of a first world problem to be fair. Regarding the unit price, it's pretty good value for what you actually get, an Arm Cortex A9 like an Apple A5 with a 4 core version of that chips 2 core GPU. Apple think that hardware is worth almost double the price.
  • elstoof 3 Jan 2013 10:11:50 7,033 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    One of the fundamental problems was sonys continued fuckheaded insistence on using proprietary technology for everything.

When you price up a decent memory card and a game, its nudging 300 sheets which is mental.
    Vita with game and 4GB memory card, 200. Chuck a 16GB card in for 33 at amazon.
  • Mr-Brett 3 Jan 2013 10:16:01 12,777 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Developers are still trying to find the best way to use the limited inputs on mobile devices. At the moment a lot of games control like turd on mobiles and others aren't really designed for those devices but a couple of games are great on mobile.

In a few years we'll have screens that can morph to have 'buttons' protruding out, which will naturally be shit at first but after a couple of revisions could become the solution to the problem.

Portable view - Never forget.

• nickthegun 3 Jan 2013 10:17:34 59,527 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    You know as well as I do that a 4gb card is useless and, at 3gb+ per game you really need the 32gb card, especially if you dont have a ps3.

• elstoof 3 Jan 2013 10:25:15 7,033 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That's why you chuck in the 16GB. I think it's enough personally, I've got 3 big games, several psone titles and about 4GB left. I don't have a ps3 but I've backed up to my pc easily enough. I don't leave the house with mine though, so if I want to shuffle things about its no problem, but I'm sure I can fit enough games on to last me a good month or two, plus a cart in the slot.
  • mrpon 3 Jan 2013 10:30:26 28,781 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cex are selling them for 145, sans memory card of course.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• MadCaddy13 3 Jan 2013 10:34:01 1,893 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yup 16 is enough for me. Sure I have to delete a few titles that I don't play but what the hevk
  • LeoliansBro 3 Jan 2013 10:46:40 43,825 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    atomicjuicer wrote:
    Gamers have a responsibility to spread the word about vita.
    AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!

AHA! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

AHA!

...I've got it under control no I haven't AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• jonsaan 3 Jan 2013 10:49:41 25,342 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I know many families that picked up a Vita for their kids WHO HAD ASKED FOR THEM this Xmas. I can think of 5 families :)

I'm hardly mister social so I think there is hope for the Vita. If it's wanted in playgrounds,then the future is bright.

It certainly didn't do Mr Savile any harm.

FCUTA!

• dominalien 3 Jan 2013 10:52:36 6,848 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    atomicjuicer wrote:
    Gamers have a responsibility to spread the word about vita.
    AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!

AHA! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

AHA!

...I've got it under control no I haven't AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
    Heh, well, clearly not you, then.

But word of mouth is a very powerful weapon, and if what people have been saying about it on this forum is any indication, it may play a large role in the Vita's future.

PSN: DonOsito

• Help_me 3 Jan 2013 10:52:46 940 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    elstoof wrote:
    You know as well as I do that a 4gb card is useless and, at 3gb+ per game you really need the 32gb card, especially if you dont have a ps3.
    Not true Nick. Admittedly it was on release for 3g. I paid 320 for the 3g, 32gb, Uncharted and Wipeout.

I have seen the lbp pack for 180 and cod for the same. add 60 for the 32gb and that is 240 and that is by no means the best deal I could find, it is just the high street price. Zavvi have had it down to 150 over Christmas I think - no memory card though.
  • jonsaan 3 Jan 2013 11:13:18 25,342 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    A Vita with a 4gb card is fine. Buy your games on cart and just use the memory card for small games, 1 biggy and a bit of storage. If you happen to have PS plus it's a non issue anyway as you can back up to cloud and simply redownload any games you want to swap in and out.

Yes it's nice to have a bigger one, as with most things in life, but it's not a showstopper.

FCUTA!

• Deleted user 3 January 2013 11:15:02
    Murbal wrote:
    F***ing Apple.
    I'm not one to defend Apple but at least their "ecosystem" helped to "normalize" the prices of games. Rarely are people willing to pay 50 per game these days, whereas 10 years back it was different. Or so I heard.
  • nickthegun 3 Jan 2013 11:15:11 59,527 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, redownloading a 3gb file off PSN is exactly what people want to do when they fancy a quick blast of UMvC3.

• dominalien 3 Jan 2013 11:26:06 6,848 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Can we stop feeding the troll now? It's really boring.

• nickthegun 3 Jan 2013 11:27:19 59,527 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Disagreeing with the OP is trolling? Have a word with yourself, love.

• jonsaan 3 Jan 2013 11:27:31 25,342 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well you could just swap the cart out. I don't think we are particularly representative of average gamers to be honest.

A lot of people have one or two games on the go at any one time. they absolutely rinse them and move on to the next one. In that scenario, downloading games is fairly rare and not hugely painful.

Yes, the memory cards are silly prices, but there are alternatives. You don't even have to go anywhere near anything other than a 4GB if you opt for using carts.

FCUTA!

• dominalien 3 Jan 2013 11:29:34 6,848 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Before I follow my own advice: you're not disagreeing with the OP, who hasn't posted since the OP. You're trolling everyone else in the thread.

• nickthegun 3 Jan 2013 11:29:54 59,527 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ive got a 4gb and im not the heaviest vita user and i find it restrictive. Theres room for a single 'boxed' game and maybe two downloadable titles, which just isnt enough.

16 would be fine for me, but 32 really should be at the price point the 16 is.

• jonsaan 3 Jan 2013 11:31:23 25,342 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Agree with that for sure.

Better still, have the memory on-board. Something I think we might see if there's ever a Vita S&L.

FCUTA!

• dominalien 3 Jan 2013 11:32:06 6,848 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    One real problem I have with the Vita's model is how saves are tied to the game install, so unless I backup the entire game somewhere, if I delete it, my save goes with it. PS+ solves this, but it shouldn't be necessary for something like this. This is one page out of Apple's book Sony should really not have torn out.

• nickthegun 3 Jan 2013 11:32:12 59,527 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    Before I follow my own advice: you're not disagreeing with the OP, who hasn't posted since the OP. You're trolling everyone else in the thread.
    Disagreeing. Again, have a word with yourself.

I could walk around high fiving everyone, telling them that the vita is the best thing ever and it isnt a huge failure but thats quite clearly not true.

Youve got the vita thread for that anyway, if you want a mutual denial fest.

• jonsaan 3 Jan 2013 11:32:55 25,342 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    One thing that is incredibly shit is that even games that do save to cart (such as FIFA and Virtua Tennis) are still tied to the single account on the Vita. So, if you put the cart into another vita linked to another account, the only way to earn trophies is to wipe the fecker.

FCUTA!

• Help_me 3 Jan 2013 11:37:39 940 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    dominalien wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    Disagreeing. Again, have a word with yourself.

I could walk around high fiving everyone, telling them that the vita is the best thing ever and it isnt a huge failure but thats quite clearly not true.

Youve got the vita thread for that anyway, if you want a mutual denial fest.
    I think at the moment it is too early to say. There were lost of people buying over Christmas and until the sales figures come out I am on the fence.

If Sony say they sold 8 units over the holidays then yes it's gone. If they say 8 million then I guess you'll be changing your mind on what a failure it is?

Anyone got any reasonably correct sales figures yet?
  • nickthegun 3 Jan 2013 11:38:22 59,527 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That is annoying but I think thats largely due to devs thinking in DS terms, rather than something with the potential for cloud storage or a file system like the PS3. I wouldnt imagine you would see it again.

• dominalien 3 Jan 2013 11:39:14 6,848 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I guess we won't really know until Sony come out and say it. And if they never do, it's going to be a pretty strong indication of where we're at.

• Page

of 9 First / Last