The Vita is a *potential* failure because it's rubbish - discuss Page 9

• Page

of 9 First / Last

Next
  • El_MUERkO 3 Jan 2013 22:19:46 16,970 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @RobTheBuilder I dont think so, I owned a PSP but have never owned a Nintendo handheld, the hardware, games and marketing have never appealed to me, I have always been interested in the possibility of a two-stick PSP.

The PSP and the PSP Vita were both aimed at the older console crowd from a hardware and software perspective, the PSP may have verged towards the kids only after it's relative failure to sell to its intended market, the Vita may well follow the PSP toward more kid/parent friendly content and marketing.

It's my opinion Sony had the the external hardware right, the marketing right and the first-party games right, they just failed to but enough power inside of it and a sufficiently impressive screen on the front to capture the audiences attention.

How many 360 & PS3 Call of Duty fans would have considered a Vita if the Vita version of CoD was identical to the console experience they currently have, my brainomatic predicts at least infinity% more than did with the turd that activision attempted to sell them.
  • RobTheBuilder 3 Jan 2013 22:24:42 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @El_MUERkO I don't think you are particularly wrong, but the cost of such power would be immense. Especially as porting from the cell architecture wouldn't be easy. Also, if the game are identical why own both vita and the ps3? That was one of psp's Initial problems, the hardcore it aimed at already had those games on ps2.
  • Deleted user 3 January 2013 22:24:46
    If the Vita version was identical to the console game then they'd just stick with the console game. Handhelds need something to stand out from the crowd (but not just the shitty cut-down knock-offs they actually get), because no-one outside of people like Darren is going to buy the exact same game twice. Hence the cannibalising their own sales remark.

Edited by meme at 22:25:08 03-01-2013
  • Syrette 3 Jan 2013 22:27:58 43,238 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    vizzini wrote:
    If the price of games like CoD, the memory cards and seemingly the console (again) were lower, the average smartphone owning gamer in the west would be all over it.
    Unless you're talking really low, I think they would just stick to their smartphones to be honest. This isn't a Nokia 3310 (and Snake, of course) versus a Game Boy Advance any more.

Smartphones are very capable gaming machines now and a lot of people just won't see the need for a second separate portable platform to play on.

Can't help but feel the Vita could do with a couple of killer apps that Sony could really sell the console around; to the more 'hardcore' at first, which would filter via word of mouth etc quickly enough to the more casual.

Even then I'm not sure it'd be enough.

• H1ggyLTD 3 Jan 2013 22:31:55 1,642 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I don't think i should read this thread.

Wouldn't be good for my rage.
  • papalazarou 3 Jan 2013 22:32:06 65 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @vizzini

People buy iPads, and I'm one of them, as something that also plays games. I guess the correlation is that the Vita to the general population may be viewed as expensive, which has expensive games. And all it does is play games, which of course isn't true. To keep it sustainable there has to be a price reduction on games, agreed, also peripherals. Until then, there isn't a big enough user base to pay 40-50 (hello GAME), for a new release.
  • Syrette 3 Jan 2013 22:33:10 43,238 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    meme wrote:
    If the Vita version was identical to the console game then they'd just stick with the console game. Handhelds need something to stand out from the crowd (but not just the shitty cut-down knock-offs they actually get), because no-one outside of people like Darren is going to buy the exact same game twice. Hence the cannibalising their own sales remark.
    Correct. I've sad this in previous Vita threads but the Vita really must have added value for those who commute and travel a lot, as they've more reason to want Vita versions of multiformat titles. I don't commute much at all nowadays, so when given the option of a Vita version or a home platform version of a title, I'm always going to go for the latter. It'll almost always be the more content-complete version of a title, and I can play it on a bigger screen and not have to worry about battery levels etc.

Thus, what I want more of on my Vita is original Vita titles, decent spin-offs (Resistance, Assassin's Creed, CoD to name three have all had poor to mediocre Vita spin-offs), and just exclusive experiences that I can't get elsewhere. And with such a powerful console, with all the control options it offers, why wouldn't I? I've had some great times on my Vita (Sound Shapes, Wipeout 2048 and the sublime Gravity Rush being my favourites so far), and I want more.

• Kay 3 Jan 2013 22:44:03 17,798 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Is a 1080p screen on a handheld console really necessary? Vita's resolution is more than enough, and plenty of games can't seem to match even that anyway. Not to mention that the text is already bloody tiny on some games. Game consoles are not like smartphones, I'd rather not hold one two inches from my face.

Edited by Kay at 22:45:03 03-01-2013
  • Deleted user 3 January 2013 23:09:08
    @Syrette

Well I'm pretty sure at least 3 of my idevice and PSP owning friends would get a Vita, much sooner, if the storage issue cost became a non issue, regardless of whether the console itself cost +180.

Tight storage at high cost per GB just ends up a large fly in the ointment for most people at the point of thinking about the Vita purchase. The Vita is the perfect sized device for portable video and music, yet the feature is completely pointless if you need every GB for Psone/PSP/Vita games.

I also think the key audience(psp owners) know the difference between a smartphone and a Vita/3DS and will buy when the price equations is right for them.
  • Moot_Point 3 Jan 2013 23:10:03 3,960 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    H1ggyLTD wrote:
    I don't think i should read this thread.

Wouldn't be good for my rage.
    Unleash your inner fanboy!

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• Page

of 9 First / Last

Next