The Vita is a *potential* failure because it's rubbish - discuss Page 8

• Page

of 9 First / Last

• RobTheBuilder 3 Jan 2013 19:01:40 6,521 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @nickthegun PSP was driven in part by the buzz around Playstation 2. But vita launched when there was little to no buzz around home consoles.
    The link between home and hand is more important for Sony than Nintendo, and so the launch of a new Playstation console will provide an opportunity to make the vita seem exciting again.
  • TheSaint 3 Jan 2013 19:04:35 14,199 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I was already a fan of the Vita but the addition of Playstation Plus has made it even better. The value owners of a PS3 and a Vita get from a 30 sub is crazy.
  • mrpon 3 Jan 2013 19:07:33 28,416 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    189.99 actually (click Black Ops)

Please tell me that Black Ops is less than 4GB :D

Edited by mrpon at 19:08:36 03-01-2013

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• TheSaint 3 Jan 2013 19:10:31 14,199 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think I'd pay the extra tenner and get Assassins Creed instead.
  • Deleted user 3 January 2013 19:11:48
    Didn't the original PSP come with a 64MB card? Hard to think that was once considered a reasonable amount (though not when the PSP launched).

Tempted to dig the bugger out now and have a noodle.
  • elstoof 3 Jan 2013 19:12:20 6,598 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    I think Sony will use the ps4 launch as an opportunity to boost the hype around vita. It will also help generate excitement around console gaming again.
    So you reckon Sony's big plan to shift a system that isn't selling is to get people to buy it along with another, more expensive system?

Bizarre.
  • ElNino9 3 Jan 2013 19:15:33 13,285 posts
    Seen 56 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    meme wrote:
    Didn't the original PSP come with a 64MB card? Hard to think that was once considered a reasonable amount (though not when the PSP launched).

32mb with the 'Value pack' iirc.

Hated, adored, never ignored.

• HiddenAway 3 Jan 2013 19:18:13 14,856 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @mrpon 2.3GB to be exact...

On Twitter: @HiddenAway1

• RobTheBuilder 3 Jan 2013 19:20:23 6,521 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @elstoof sigh.

Not saying that exactly. But it will create a buzz and hype around the Playstation brand which will help vita.
  • nickthegun 3 Jan 2013 19:23:10 58,782 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ElNino9 wrote:
    meme wrote:

32mb with the 'Value pack' iirc.
    The difference being that, as annoying as sony are for their proprietary nonsense, the PSP memory cards were at least used across their whole range of products meaning it was worth producing third party cards.

Its genuinely baffling that they would use a format that nothing else on earth can use.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• elstoof 3 Jan 2013 19:25:21 6,598 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    @elstoof sigh.

Not saying that exactly. But it will create a buzz and hype around the Playstation brand which will help vita.
    Oh you poor misunderstood little poppet, sighing at the sad realisation that no one can see your vision.

It still sounds like you think people who don't want to buy a Vita now, will suddenly want to buy one because they want a PS4.
  • Deleted user 3 January 2013 19:27:51
    Well, my PSP Go still works. Even more remarkable is that it still switched straight back on from standby after having been sat in a drawer for several months. Flicked through the games I have on there, promptly put it back on standby and back in the drawer.
  • RobTheBuilder 3 Jan 2013 20:02:50 6,521 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @elstoof that's clearly not what I said. The hype around PS4 will drive interest in Playstation, and those who can't afford a ps4 might go for a vita, and the reappearance of a buzz around the brand will help. They might also go for the strong connectivity angle that means both machines compliment and support each other as PS2 and PSP did. Vita has been on its own and I think that is part of the cause of its lack of success.

Edited by RobTheBuilder at 20:03:18 03-01-2013
  • wogsy81 3 Jan 2013 20:08:27 717 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    There's games there I want to play, but to get a console, a memory card and just one of those games is approaching 300.

Absolutely no chance.
    Co signed by wogsy.

edit/ oh i see you can get a vita, a game and memory card for 200. Hmmm, yeahh, still no chance.

Edited by wogsy81 at 20:10:40 03-01-2013
  • enfilade 3 Jan 2013 20:31:28 211 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I just wrote some twonk about Sony's need to clamour to the kiddies, but a look at the charts shows that Ninty have almost certainly got that market cornered.

However... here's something that might interest the doubters - for the month of December, Top 5 games sales for the Vita and 3DS were remarkably similar. The main difference between the software success of the two platforms seems to be in the length of the 3DS's tail.

Hope for 2013?

Edited by enfilade at 20:44:47 03-01-2013
  • elstoof 3 Jan 2013 20:42:13 6,598 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They should have thrown even more money at Capcom than Nintendo did for Monster Hunter.
  • enfilade 3 Jan 2013 20:47:01 211 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Monster Hunter would certainly have been pivotal for Japan.

Part of me wonders if Sony should turn the screws on Square-Enix for a really grand FF Tactics title, or some ports of FFX and FFXII akin to the rework of Persona 4 (which I cannot wait for, by the way.)
  • elstoof 3 Jan 2013 20:51:09 6,598 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    FFX HD is already on the way.
  • enfilade 3 Jan 2013 20:55:04 211 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    So I heard, ooooh, about a year ago? Since then, nothing. I don't doubt that it will come, but I'm concerned about when. Fingers crossed it will come with a few bells and whistles attached, too.
  • Deleted user 3 January 2013 20:57:00
    haha
  • ResidentKnievel 3 Jan 2013 21:22:24 6,110 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Vita really needs Soul Sacrifice to be the next Monster Hunter for it to succeed, if Sony don't try to promote the hell out of it in Japan then they're idiots.

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• El_MUERkO 3 Jan 2013 21:33:03 16,949 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    @El_MUERkO but that would have allowed Nintendo to get a grip on the market. Plus that extra screen and power would still jack up the cost even now.
    That would assume they're competing for the same market, and I don't think they are, if it was 1080p and could run direct console ports they definitely wouldn't be.
  • Deleted user 3 January 2013 21:37:37
    If it was 1080p and could run direct console ports then they'd cannibalise their own market.
  • ResidentKnievel 3 Jan 2013 21:44:18 6,110 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If it was 1080p and could run direct console ports it would set your hands on fire.

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• dsmx 3 Jan 2013 21:57:14 7,555 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    All the vita makes me think is how shit the next gen of consoles are going to be they will have higher dev costs than the vita and if publishers don't want to make games for the vita how bad is it going to be on the next ps, xbox and the wiiu?

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• RobTheBuilder 3 Jan 2013 22:00:14 6,521 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @El_MUERkO Not now, but if 3ds was the most powerful handheld around with no competition it would probably appeal more to older folks.
  • Deleted user 3 January 2013 22:04:19
    I think what is most interesting, is that the underlying reason for these type threads having activity is because lots of other people really want to buy one, but at a steal/bargain price.

If the price of games like CoD, the memory cards and seemingly the console (again) were lower, the average smartphone owning gamer in the west would be all over it.

Fortunately for Sony, they've built a device from parts that will quickly enable them to make a good profit at virtually any price point they set.

For now I think they should leave the console price alone (@200) and just focus on subsidizing the memory card prices to get a 32GB card down below 30, and keep games below 35.

Paying out 265 for a Vita, memory card, and one game isn't the problem issue. Spending above 199 on a portable device and having limited space to store music, films and games at that price is (imo).
  • Deleted user 3 January 2013 22:05:31
    Most people are probably waiting for it to be cracked wide open like the PSP, to be honest.
  • papalazarou 3 Jan 2013 22:11:40 65 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I got my vita last year, and it really is perfect for a quick blast on FIFA 12, or Motorstorm. I also love Where Is My Heart, similar to Fez. I played though uncharted and am loving LBP2. It is a dream to use. However, they really need to drop the prices of the console, and especially the games. Motorstorm proved it can be done, and it must be the biggest seller by a mile. Also, drop the price of the fucking memory cards.

Edited by papalazarou at 22:12:48 03-01-2013
  • Deleted user 3 January 2013 22:18:20
    @papalazarou

I think the price of the console currently is a moot point. Idevice buyers have shown that there is a big market with money to burn on an actual device whether it does much or not. It all comes down to the bad vibe that people get from being expected to pay so much afterwards for what it little more than a large capacity empty box. The new game prices are also starting too high. Everybodys golf for 15 in sainsburys, or Gravity rush at argos for 25 are the great deal exceptions compared to CoD or AC Lib.
  • Page

of 9 First / Last