The Vita is a *potential* failure because it's rubbish - discuss Page 7

• Page

of 9 First / Last

• wogsy81 3 Jan 2013 18:15:07 759 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    This thread makes me happy and sad.

Im happy that i held off on buying one at launch (and i was close let me tell ya) as pretty soon i will be able to pick one up with some good games for a very reasonable price. I hope.

But im sad that when i do get a vita its virtually a dead console/handheld whatever you wanna call it with virtually no good games on the horizon.

I look at the sales numbers, read your guys comments and i do think "man, it is looking pretty grim" but surely a multi-million dollar company like Sony would not spend millions and millions designing and manufacturing a pretty advanced piece of kit. And then just to let the thing die a slow painful death. Surely not.

A part of me refuses to believe Sony would be so dumb. It just doesn't make sense in my feeble brain.
  • Deleted user 3 January 2013 18:16:06
    I meant the pad on the back more than the screen, although getting rid of both could really have made it a lot cheaper presumably.
  • ronuds 3 Jan 2013 18:16:15 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    ronuds wrote:
    Apple's been making Vitas for years. They've just been smart enough not to brand them as gaming-only machines and market them only to men 20-24 that already own a PS3.
    To be clear, are you saying that the hardware's fine, but they positioned and marketed it wrong? Of are you saying they should have made completely different hardware more comparable to what Apple make?
    I was saying the latter.
  • Deleted user 3 January 2013 18:18:32
    In that case your statement "Apple's been making Vistas for years" is a little confusing no?

I don't think Sony should have made Ipad/touch/iphone rip offs. They probably should just not have made anything.
  • RobTheBuilder 3 Jan 2013 18:18:53 6,521 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @kalel I think they tried to copy Nintendo's style of offering lots of tools and letting developer loose, only with more power!
  • RobTheBuilder 3 Jan 2013 18:20:36 6,521 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think Sony will use the ps4 launch as an opportunity to boost the hype around vita. It will also help generate excitement around console gaming again.
  • El_MUERkO 3 Jan 2013 18:21:24 17,152 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @RobTheBuilder 1080p screens are going to be mass market ASAP, it's a big selling point for a mobile devices and nVidia would be upgrading their graphics architecture either way, a one year delay on the Vita launch would have made a far more desirable 'entertainment device', "Watch your favourite Film / TV show in 1080p on the go, then switch to playing CoD or FIFA exactly as you would on your TV at home, do a bit of mobile browsing, Skype your Gran, all while on the Train/Bus/Plane/Boat or while walking into oncoming traffic". That'd sell units and kill tards.
  • disusedgenius 3 Jan 2013 18:21:48 5,637 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    I don't think Sony should have made Ipad/touch/iphone rip offs.
    ...especially with the Experia Play around.
  • nickthegun 3 Jan 2013 18:22:42 61,358 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    I think Sony will use the ps4 launch as an opportunity to boost the hype around vita.
    What does that even mean?

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• MrTomFTW Moderator 3 Jan 2013 18:23:22 39,826 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    El_MUERkO wrote:
    I was interested in the Vita until I read it's specs.

The screen should have been 1080p and the console should have been able to run direct ports of PS3 games at 1080p.

If the technology wasn't available to do that then they should have waited.

5" 1080p screens are appearing in phones right now and nVidia continue to push mobile gaming graphics.
    The PS3 can't play PS3 games at 1080p, what chance did the Vita have?

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Deleted user 3 January 2013 18:24:29
    Considering we're generously looking at 2014 before a PS4 comes around, that's going to need a hell of a hype boost.
  • Deleted user 3 January 2013 18:25:50
    Sony probably will use the PS4 to try and give the Vita a bit more life somehow. There could even be a second generation of the Vita in the works which makes it more affordable and fixes some of the issues.

It's probably a little premature to declare it totally dead, but I doubt it'll ever really catch on.
  • atomicjuicer 3 Jan 2013 18:26:25 309 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Latin wrote:
    I was going to buy one yesterday for my upcoming travels... Didn't see any games that appealed to me. Looks like a great piece of kit, but without the games, what's the point?
    Such a shame that this is the perception (not blaming you) when there are actually loads of top quality AAA games on the vita and its still such a new console.

Metal gear solid hd
    Wipeout 2048
    LBP
    Ninja Gaiden
    Ridge racer (once you add all th DLC)
    Uncharted
    Sine Mora
    Assassins creed
    Need for speed most wanted
    Everybody's golf
    Gravity Rush
    Jet set radio
    Unit 13
    Mortal kombat
    Motor storm rc
    Katamari
    PS battle Royale
    Rayman origins
    Silent hill
    Street fighter x tekken
    UmvC
    WRC3

PS1 and PSP (too many to list)

Minis (not my thing but there are some cool games for those who want something quick like Canabalt etc.)

Apps
    YouTube
    Music unlimited (with offline mode)
    Remote play via ps3
    ICO
    Shadow of the colossus
    Retrograde
    Tokyo jungle
  • Deleted user 3 January 2013 18:28:45
    Nothing appealing /= no games.
  • disusedgenius 3 Jan 2013 18:31:02 5,637 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Most of those aren't appealing if you're planning on playing the proper games on the console/PC, mind.
  • Deleted user 3 January 2013 18:31:27
    Or have played some games in the last 15 years.
  • Deleted user 3 January 2013 18:34:04
    There's games there I want to play, but to get a console, a memory card and just one of those games is approaching 300.

Absolutely no chance.
  • nickthegun 3 Jan 2013 18:35:09 61,358 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hardly any of those, if any at all are AAA games, as nebulous as that phrase is.

• ronuds 3 Jan 2013 18:38:31 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've always been a big fan of Everybody's Golf.
  • Deleted user 3 January 2013 18:40:29
    What's the deal with PS2 games on the Vita? Can you download them or something?
  • atomicjuicer 3 Jan 2013 18:41:13 309 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Hardly any of those, if any at all are AAA games, as nebulous as that phrase is.
    Wipeout 2048 is one of the greatest games ever made so shut it.
    Gravity rush is a recognised work of genius.
    Little big planet vita is the definition of quality
    Uncharted - same, nothing comes close on any other portable

I've played almost all of these games on my vita and they're just some of the games I reckon are indisputably attractive to any reasonable gamer. People won't take this console seriously for some reason but its not fair to say no effort was made to bring games to it in its first year.
  • ram 3 Jan 2013 18:41:25 3,488 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    There's games there I want to play, but to get a console, a memory card and just one of those games is approaching 300.

Absolutely no chance.
    I don't know why you keep bringing up this 300 figure. I spent 30 seconds looking on amazon, 183 incl p&p for wifi Vita. 21 for 8gb memory card.

Perhaps you were looking to buy a 96 game
  • ronuds 3 Jan 2013 18:45:29 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    They have a lot of 'em on PSN.
  • nickthegun 3 Jan 2013 18:46:52 61,358 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    atomicjuicer wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    None of those, bar possibly unchartered, are what anyone would call AAA.

• mrpon 3 Jan 2013 18:47:08 29,596 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Nope. A few select PS3 HD collections of PS2 games work via Remote Play. God of War I&II, ICO, Shadow of the Colossus.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Popzeus 3 Jan 2013 18:48:39 8,427 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Nope. No kind of emulated support, just the occasional port ... sorry, "HD remaster"...

Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

• RobTheBuilder 3 Jan 2013 18:52:04 6,521 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @El_MUERkO but that would have allowed Nintendo to get a grip on the market. Plus that extra screen and power would still jack up the cost even now.
  • Deleted user 3 January 2013 18:52:16
    ram wrote:
    kalel wrote:

Absolutely no chance.
    I don't know why you keep bringing up this 300 figure. I spent 30 seconds looking on amazon, 183 incl p&p for wifi Vita. 21 for 8gb memory card.

I based my post on the 200 wifi (which is how much the Wifi appears to cost on Amazon as far as I can see), a 16GB memory card (not even the biggest one that most seem to recommend) and a game like LPB, which adds up to about 270, which is "approaching 300" , which is what I actually said.

And I said it literally once.
  • Kay 3 Jan 2013 18:59:23 17,972 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    atomicjuicer wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    None of those, bar possibly unchartered, are what anyone would call AAA.
    As impressive as Uncharted is as a technical showcase for a handheld, it's also the sort of thing I (and many other people, clearly) would rather play on a home console. In fact playing it just made me wish I had a PS3 and Uncharted 2 instead.

And that's the thing about Sony and the Vita - very few people want to play "AAA" home console games on a handheld. Why would they, if they can get a superior experience with a more comfortable pad on a bigger screen?
  • Help_me 3 Jan 2013 19:01:01 942 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    ram wrote:
    kalel wrote:

Absolutely no chance.

I based my post on the 200 wifi (which is how much the Wifi appears to cost on Amazon as far as I can see), a 16GB memory card (not even the biggest one that most seem to recommend) and a game like LPB, which adds up to about 270, which is "approaching 300" , which is what I actually said.

And I said it literally once.
    200 for vita and black ops with card. On Amazon

Edited by Help_me at 19:02:43 03-01-2013
  • Page

of 9 First / Last