The Vita is a *potential* failure because it's rubbish - discuss Page 6

• Page

of 9 First / Last

• Deleted user 3 January 2013 17:31:11
    Again, that's down to the size of the game being downloaded. Anyone thinking they can grab 3 gigs of Uncharted instantaneously doesn't understand the laws of physics.
  • kalel 3 Jan 2013 17:32:05 86,417 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    EuroStalker wrote:
    My daughter?!? I'd be so lucky.

My point is Vita is a mess of a device. Sony are trying to be all things to all people. The Vita is a swissknife with no component very good at anything.

No, you're wrong. The Vita is very clearly a hardcore gaming device aimed very specifically at young affluent hardcore gamers. Its message and target audience is quite clear.

Yes, there's issues around functionality including game formats and memory, but this has nothing whatsoever to do with the marketing issue. As I've been saying all along, yes, it could have been better designed and that probably would have made it more appealing to its target audience, but that still wouldn't have made it a success.

Edited by kalel at 17:33:27 03-01-2013
  • Deleted user 3 January 2013 17:34:01
    In fact, the exact same thing happens with larger iPod/Pad games anyway. Try downloading something like the shitty CoD/Halo clones and then waiting for the interminably slow data download after installing the base app. Modern Combat 3 was downloading for about four hours when I tried it. Then you still get load times on top of that as it tries to handle the immense size of the game.
  • nickthegun 3 Jan 2013 17:34:56 58,885 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Apple are brilliant marketers yes. That's not the same as saying they could sell anything through brilliant marketing. It's a huge misunderstanding of what Apple do and how they do it.
    Apple make products that you never knew you wanted or needed. They know you dont want or need a dedicated handheld.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• nickthegun 3 Jan 2013 17:35:31 58,885 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    EuroStalker wrote:
    Are you saying Sony have intentionally targeted an ever decreasing group of hardcore gamers? Why would any company do that.
    because they have been hopelessly mismanaged over the last few years to the point of bankruptcy

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• RichieTenenbaum 3 Jan 2013 17:36:09 2,181 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I can't justify buying one, as I have an iPhone with loads of unplayed stuff and an XBOX.

I am their target market.

I bought a PSP and barely played it becuase I don't commute.
  • mrpon 3 Jan 2013 17:38:51 28,487 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Their target market are people who bought one.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Dirtbox 3 Jan 2013 17:39:56 77,480 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Sony once again trying to sell the market something it doesn't want, need or care about. Their arrogance and lack of understanding about a market that has moved on is what's doomed it.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• kalel 3 Jan 2013 17:40:11 86,417 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    EuroStalker wrote:
    @Kalel

The Vita is very clearly a hardcore gaming device aimed very specifically at young affluent hardcore gamers.
    Are you saying Sony have intentionally targeted an ever decreasing group of hardcore gamers? Why would any company do that.
    The niche was there - the hardcore didn't consider Nintendo or Apple devices suitable for their needs. I guess they just overestimated the size of the audience.
  • Deleted user 3 January 2013 17:40:12
    Their target market are the people who made the last few COD games some of the highest grossing games of all time.

Edited by meme at 17:40:39 03-01-2013
  • kalel 3 Jan 2013 17:43:20 86,417 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The main thing they didn't realise was how much of their market got eroded by smartphone users imo. Yes, some people want more than a smartphone can offer in terms of gaming, but nowhere near enough to make a console that expensive sell like hot cakes.
  • Deleted user 3 January 2013 17:44:26
    Yeah, despite the mewlings of the handful who do, the majority don't really want to play CoD or Uncharted on the go.

Isn't there some statistic like the majority of dedicated handheld gaming devices are usually played at home and rarely, if ever, actually taken anywhere?

Edited by meme at 17:44:49 03-01-2013
  • CosmicFuzz 3 Jan 2013 17:45:35 23,337 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's not that far off a 3DS price though is it? And that's selling very well. Is that a younger market though?

Looking for a new gaming podcast to listen to? LOOK NO FURTHER!

• Dirtbox 3 Jan 2013 17:48:22 77,480 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    meme wrote:
    Their target market are the people who made the last few COD games some of the highest grossing games of all time.
    The PS3 being at the very bottom of the barrel for that game. Making a handheld with it specifically in mind is like expecting all the wankers to ditch their Audi's because Lada have made a car with I AM A CUNT written on the side.

• Help_me 3 Jan 2013 17:49:12 940 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    meme wrote:
    Yeah, despite the mewlings of the handful who do, the majority don't really want to play CoD or Uncharted on the go.

Isn't there some statistic like the majority of dedicated handheld gaming devices are usually played at home and rarely, if ever, actually taken anywhere?
    My Vita has travelled 4,125 miles!

I know, I'm not the majority.

Edited by Help_me at 17:50:21 03-01-2013
  • Dirtbox 3 Jan 2013 17:50:27 77,480 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Did you punt it into orbit?

• Help_me 3 Jan 2013 17:54:20 940 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Did you punt it into orbit?
    Dropped it into a volcano and it is now two thirds of the way to the core. I want to tag the core and see if anyone finds it.

I jest.
  • kalel 3 Jan 2013 17:54:26 86,417 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    It's not that far off a 3DS price though is it? And that's selling very well. Is that a younger market though?
    It's quite a lot more - 200 compared to 130, plus you then need to buy expensive memory cards and such.

But yes, it's also a very different market. Frankly I'm surprised the 3DS has done as well as it has, but Nintendo have got so much goodwill in the bank with handhelds and much wider market appeal, not to mention full on adoration in Japan. It's just a whole different beast.

I suspect even Nintendo will be hesitant to release another handheld in future though.
  • Help_me 3 Jan 2013 17:56:30 940 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's not 200 and you don't "need" a big memory card.
  • beastmaster 3 Jan 2013 17:56:52 11,191 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mobile phone gaming has made a huge impact. It's not just gaming now though is it?

When I'm mobile I'll end up surfing the net more than playing the odd game. I have a Vita and the main game I play on it is Super Stardust. I think what Apple and Nintendo have got right is what's needed from mobile games. They are either quick, addictive byte-sized games or games that are easy to stop-start and carry on from where you left off.

Sony seem to be doing their big, epic games on a smaller format. Excellent hardware, wrong type of software.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• mrpon 3 Jan 2013 17:57:50 28,487 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The DS/3DS is the "kid-quietener" from my anecdotal evidence in Pizza Express. Clamshell probably helps from the robust aspect.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• kalel 3 Jan 2013 18:02:14 86,417 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Help_me wrote:
    It's not 200 and you don't "need" a big memory card.
    It certainly appears to be (and that's the Wifi one, not the 3G one), and you do kinda need a big memory card. Even the 16GB is another 30 on top of the 200 you've spend on the Vita.

The point is it's really not more or less the same price as a 3DS.
  • El_MUERkO 3 Jan 2013 18:03:58 16,956 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I was interested in the Vita until I read it's specs.

The screen should have been 1080p and the console should have been able to run direct ports of PS3 games at 1080p.

If the technology wasn't available to do that then they should have waited.

5" 1080p screens are appearing in phones right now and nVidia continue to push mobile gaming graphics.
  • RobTheBuilder 3 Jan 2013 18:06:26 6,521 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @El_MUERkO making it even more expensive and reducing sales even more bar the 50 spec nuts who will lap it up.
  • RichieTenenbaum 3 Jan 2013 18:07:23 2,181 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    They should have made it out of play doh so you could reshape and remodel it to suit you
  • kalel 3 Jan 2013 18:11:23 86,417 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think a bit of less is more would have helped a bit. The touchscreen is a load of nonsense, and if removing that could have shaved 50 quid off the price, then that could have made a big difference. And yeah, just letting you use SD cards would have helped too.
  • RobTheBuilder 3 Jan 2013 18:14:07 6,521 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @kalel it was simply to allow iPhone type games so they could be in on that market.
  • Page

of 9 First / Last