The Vita is a *potential* failure because it's rubbish - discuss

• Page

of 9 First / Last

Previous
  • DinkMonger 3 Jan 2013 04:27:59 4 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I imported the Vita six months ago from Japan and the system not only is beautiful and powerful, but the game library is great. Sure the huge name titles like Assassins Creed and Call of Duty sucked, but Little Big Planet Vita and Persona 4 Golden are perfect and the PS All-Stars Battle Royale is also quite good. The whole WiiU idea of the second screen works great on the vita by taking one of the greatest fighting games in recent years for free if you buy the console...so I ask you this...Am I alone or do you see this misnomer as well?
  • Psychotext 3 Jan 2013 04:33:15 54,495 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's not a failure because of the games... I really don't think anyone has accused it of that (and if they have, they're idiots).

It's still very much dead though.
  • ecu 3 Jan 2013 05:16:54 77,090 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's sold like crap and has a very limited library of exclusive games. I love the console as much as anyone else but that's the unfortunate truth. We can all see the quality of the hardware and the potential that's there, but it's flopped and looks completely beyond recovery now.
  • Flying_Pig 3 Jan 2013 08:06:11 11,212 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    It's sold like crap and has a very limited library of exclusive games. I love the console as much as anyone else but that's the unfortunate truth. We can all see the quality of the hardware and the potential that's there, but it's flopped and looks completely beyond recovery now.
    Agree with everything, except your final point. It's not beyond recovery, but will take a concerted effort of some AAA titles, a chunky price cut and getting the retailers on board to push sales harder. I actually think the 'issues' a more due to poor high street retail presence and marketing than anything else. Most people have virtually zero awareness of it.
  • Murbs 3 Jan 2013 08:10:35 22,419 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Still selling better than the WiiU ;-)

I'm getting tired of all these threads dedicated to the lack of sales of the Vita. I'll just say once again that even if it died right now I still have more than enough to keep me going for a good couple of years. Also, playing Android games on my Nexus 7 then gaming on this is like moving from a soggy custard cream to a plate full of fresh fig rolls and jaffa cakes.
  • atomicjuicer 3 Jan 2013 08:11:28 308 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Gamers have a responsibility to spread the word about vita. Protect it and push it before it's gone.

Brilliant system with many wonderful and original games.

This gen's dreamcast.
  • DUFFMAN5 3 Jan 2013 08:12:24 15,046 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Flying_Pig

No way are developers going to make (many) AAA titles for the console, it does not have the fan base. As we all know/read it takes an army of people to make these games be it for a 360/ps3 so why would they waste time on the Vita.
    COD got universal panning, as for ACL I enjoyed it and Uncharted (you, lent me that ages ago, thank you ;) ) was fun, but I don't see many AAA coming out this year. We all agree it is a stunning bit of kit mind you.

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• dr_swin 3 Jan 2013 08:21:09 4,903 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I just got one for Christmas. I havn't had a chance to really use it yet, but as Murbal said, even if there was nothing else released on it, there are still plenty of games to enjoy on it that would provide ample longevity. My problem is that I want to buy them all for a fiver as the system seems to be struggling so much. It's hard to actually find any games on the shelves. I went into Curry's the other day and they had 1 game left.
  • Lt_Drebin 3 Jan 2013 08:35:55 176 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I still think the Vita's real value as a machine won't be realised until the ps4. There's so much about the system that isn't integrated with the ps3 (abandoning the xmb for example) and from what I've read the architecture is far more PC-like than the home console. Once the 4 is up and running it will be proper make or break time for the vita.
  • chopsen 3 Jan 2013 08:39:37 16,127 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Lt_Drebin wrote:
    far more PC-like than the home console.
    Assuming that means it's made of off the shelf components: good to see Sony are coming to their senses.
  • nickthegun 3 Jan 2013 08:39:41 60,617 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    dr_swin wrote:
    I just got one for Christmas. I havn't had a chance to really use it yet, but as Murbal said, even if there was nothing else released on it, there are still plenty of games to enjoy on it that would provide ample longevity. My problem is that I want to buy them all for a fiver as the system seems to be struggling so much. It's hard to actually find any games on the shelves. I went into Curry's the other day and they had 1 game left.
    I went into game to buy sfxt when it came out and they didn't even know what it was or, after a stock check, when it was coming in.

I think it's pretty unarguable at this point that the vita is an abject failure by almost any definition.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• kalel 3 Jan 2013 08:43:07 88,511 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I can't wait to pick one up super cheap in a year or so.

The failure is partly due to marketing and a lack of support, but mainly due to a complete lack of reality. Things are very different to when the PSP came out, and expecting an expensive dedicated gaming handheld to do well in a world of financial collapse and smartphones was total fantasy. Doomed from the start.

That doesn't make it a bad machine or one that isn't worth having, but it will never truly catch on, and will be the last of its kind.
  • nickthegun 3 Jan 2013 08:44:05 60,617 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sony can't support it by itself. The simple truth is that there is barely room for one handheld on the market at the moment and the vita is so far from what consumers want at the moment it's ridiculous.

No one wants it, no one is buying it, no one is making games for it. The sad truth is apple have all but killed this market and its never coming back.

• Murbs 3 Jan 2013 08:51:08 22,419 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    F***ing Apple.
  • GuiltySpark 3 Jan 2013 08:51:17 6,437 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's such a massive shame if the Vita fails, it is an amazing piece of kit, and it's such a leap over smartphone gaming that it's a hindrance that they're even being compared.

Smartphone gaming is such a non-entity in "actual" gaming terms, it shouldn't be the reference point for anything. Touch screen controls can NEVER be as good or as intuitive as actual controls, and this shows hugely in the games being made for it, in terms of depth and actual playability.

But as always, it isn't us that decides if something is a success, it's the masses, and they're happy with their Angry Birds.

Get bent.

• Murbs 3 Jan 2013 08:51:33 22,419 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Virtual f***ing controls.
  • Murbs 3 Jan 2013 08:53:02 22,419 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I really do not like the way gaming is going. F***ing 'freemium'. Pay to f***ing win.

I'm taking my Vita to bed tonight; I'll hold it close and cry myself to sleep.
  • ZuluHero 3 Jan 2013 08:54:08 4,213 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It still hasn't had a major price drop - that says a lot really.
  • Murbs 3 Jan 2013 08:55:55 22,419 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm going to buy a couple of Vita games today. You guys made me do it.
  • kalel 3 Jan 2013 09:04:42 88,511 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    GuiltySpark wrote:
    It's such a massive shame if the Vita fails, it is an amazing piece of kit, and it's such a leap over smartphone gaming that it's a hindrance that they're even being compared.

Smartphone gaming is such a non-entity in "actual" gaming terms, it shouldn't be the reference point for anything. Touch screen controls can NEVER be as good or as intuitive as actual controls, and this shows hugely in the games being made for it, in terms of depth and actual playability.

But as always, it isn't us that decides if something is a success, it's the masses, and they're happy with their Angry Birds.
    Smartphone gaming isn't the future of handhelds, it's just what's going to kill the current definition.

As I've said in other threads, at the moment we're in a strange transition phase regarding the internet and things like cloud storage. They're there, but they're not quite at the point where they totally change everything, but they will.

Eventually you'll be able to access incredibly high speed internet from literally anywhere. Once we reach that point all data will be stored in clouds, and once we reach that point we'll be able to play all our games, from anywhere, on probably any device. There will undoubtedly be handheld devices that are as good for playing games as the likes of the Vita when that happens. But the idea of having a dedicated handheld console with dedicated games for that device will be totally archaic, which in fact is already the case.
  • nickthegun 3 Jan 2013 09:08:14 60,617 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    GuiltySpark wrote:
    No one cares. Im a gamer and I dont care. In terms of mobile gaming, im far more likely to whip out my phone and play ski safari for ten minutes in a bus queue than I am the vita because its always on me and charged.

Touch controls are fine. Devs have got to grips with them and the games that come out at the moment suit them ok.

Nobody gives enough of a shit about tactile controls or an 'immersive portable experience' to drop 40 quid on a mobile version of need for speed when you can get one on your iPhone for 69p.

• chopsen 3 Jan 2013 09:13:52 16,127 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    As someone who sees a lot of kids due to my job, I've noticed recently that a lot of children come in brandishing DS-me-dos (various iterations and versions). If it's a boy and he's primary school age, it is *really* common. Never see any walking around with smarhpones playing games. Never ever seen anyone ever play a vita.
  • kalel 3 Jan 2013 09:17:52 88,511 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Observations from the tube.

Kids 12 and under use Nintendo devices. Teens use Blackberrys. OVer 18s use Smartphones. Nobody has a Vita.
  • nickthegun 3 Jan 2013 09:19:09 60,617 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I have, although not particularly smartphones.

When you go out now, the kids that would previously have had DS's thrust into their paws to keep them quiet either have their own iPod touch, dads iPhone or, in some cases, an iPad.

Im guilty of it myself. If the food takes ages to come and CHILD R is getting ratty, heres my phone, play some happy mrs chickens.

• chopsen 3 Jan 2013 09:33:14 16,127 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Touch controls are fine. Devs have got to grips with them and the games that come out at the moment suit them ok.
    Not a fan myself. The only game I've played where I got along with touch controls were Civ Rev. Every other game it's either a fiddly faff or the games a bit too simplistic for my tastes. Your mileage may vary.
  • b0rk 3 Jan 2013 09:37:22 2,922 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Vita is selling like shit but is bloody stubborn about getting a decent price reduction. I'd happily buy one but not for 200.
  • nickthegun 3 Jan 2013 09:44:26 60,617 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    People have been regularly picking them up for as low as 120 on this very forum.

• GuiltySpark 3 Jan 2013 09:50:52 6,437 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    GuiltySpark wrote:
    No one cares. Im a gamer and I dont care.
    Well I'm a gamer and I do care, so it looks like we're stuck in some kind of magical quandary.

Get bent.

• nickthegun 3 Jan 2013 09:54:39 60,617 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Not really unless you can magically get another 50 million of your fellow gamers to start caring too.

• Page

of 9 First / Last

Previous