• Page

of 4 First / Last

Next
  • TarickStonefire 8 Feb 2014 08:18:40 2,665 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Tiger_Walts wrote:
    1. Refine your launch profile to be more efficient:
    - Don't break 200 m/s while in atmosphere (relax this restriction as you climb)
    - Likewise, don't begin your gravity turn too early. Any lateral velocity you create will lose a fraction to drag. 12K is a good place to turn for most small to medium rockets
    - Don't burn while pointing too far from the pro-grade marker (except for course corrections)
    2. Make sure your Kerbin orbit is Eastward, so it matches the Munar orbit
    3. Moonrise is the best window to launch directly to the Mun, if you launch at another time, then wait in orbit until shortly after moonrise
    4. Making a transfer burn that coincides with your pro-grade marker will be the most efficient
    5. Correction burns made nearer to a gravity well will be more efficient
    6. Correction burns made farther from your target will be more efficient (but harder to get perfect, use RCS for fine precision)
    7. Aim for a Westward orbit around the Mun
    8. If your DeltaV/s is low, aim for a higher capture orbit. It's less efficient but you'll be going slower at Munar periapsis
    I've tinkered with KSP a few times, never got into orbit but been up in space plenty. Anyway, this entire post is utter gobbledegook to me! When I read posts like this it makes the game kinda feel like going back to school, and not in a fun way.

I do like the game, I just don't like having to learn all this stuff that's going to be of no use to me ever in order to actually enjoy it.

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• Tiger_Walts 8 Feb 2014 13:55:13 16,530 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If you don't find the challenge of learning how to fly rockets fun, then this is not the game for you...

Or you could install MechJeb, and have it do all the orbital mechanics for you.

Edited by Tiger_Walts at 13:55:30 08-02-2014

IT Monkey and StickyPiston Minecraft Hosting Support

• Metalfish 9 Feb 2014 18:02:28 8,700 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't do maths. I just hope for the best. I've got Minimus down to a fine art, however.

Despite having unlocked the heaviest rockets, I'm still having more success with massive stacks of solid boosters with tiny rockets on top. Mainsails are all well and good, but they always end up a bit wobbly for me, and never really all that efficient.
  • DamoVotf 10 Feb 2014 12:18:29 422 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Metalfish wrote:
    I don't do maths. I just hope for the best. I've got Minimus down to a fine art, however.

Despite having unlocked the heaviest rockets, I'm still having more success with massive stacks of solid boosters with tiny rockets on top. Mainsails are all well and good, but they always end up a bit wobbly for me, and never really all that efficient.
    Im exactly the same, I have a basic booster setup which I can put any sort of space craft on top off. I wanna build a space station but generally have no clue how to build it or even how to dock with it when I do.
  • RightBean 2 Mar 2014 08:40:09 607 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I'm quite enjoying this, I think before you play it sounds more serious and complicated than it is, it's a fun game with a lot of depth and is satisfying to pull missions off, satisfying because it is challenging and interesting, not because it is rock hard and frustrating.

You do have to learn some of the terminology but it is not a game for physicists etc, it's no different than learning about aspects of car tuning and engine upgrading in games like gran turismo, you just read a little to understand what these things do and try them out.
  • Metalfish 2 Mar 2014 09:33:52 8,700 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I have a space station of two parts now. Getting them to rendezvous and actually dock manually (I've no idea how to use the docking mode) was Smough and Ornstein hard.

It was quite amusing to watch the two docking ports flail my station around as they tried to get the parts to align. Though I'd have been bloody sad if it caused the space kraken to break all my hard work.
  • RightBean 2 Mar 2014 12:31:31 607 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Yeah those kind of things are difficult, interceptions I think they are called, it would be impossible to play this without looking things up externally, but I don't have a problem with that. I have got to do an interception to rescue one of my kerbals who is orbiting the sun sans spacecraft and it does look complicated
  • Tiger_Walts 3 Mar 2014 14:26:43 16,530 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Around the sun?! How did you manage that? How far in/out is he from Kerbin and what is the phase difference? I hope he has a lot of air in reserve.

Intercepting an object is easier than first appears. The hard bit is doing it with relatively good efficiency. Ideally you'd wait until phase between orbits is optimal. How do you work that out? I don't know exactly, but here is a handy tool. You could get a ballpark from there. The other option is to burn for a slightly inside or outside orbit and wait.

If your target is in an elliptical orbit, aim for the apoapsis or periapsis and put your craft into a similar elliptic orbit. Make any corrections at that convergence.

• ecureuil 3 Mar 2014 18:18:18 76,037 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I played this last night after a three month break and now I can barely remember how to do anything.
  • Tiger_Walts 16 Apr 2014 13:09:27 16,530 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    http://xkcd.com/1356/

• magicpanda 16 Apr 2014 13:41:14 13,012 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Insane

Edited by magicpanda at 13:41:24 16-04-2014
  • Tiger_Walts 16 Apr 2014 15:13:30 16,530 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That is all kinds of win.

• Tiger_Walts 18 Apr 2014 16:35:47 16,530 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    9.60 from GMG with a code

• TarickStonefire 19 Apr 2014 07:17:25 2,665 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Wanted to like this. Way too much 'thinking'. Great idea though, love seeing it become so successful.

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• Metalfish 20 Apr 2014 17:03:00 8,700 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Is there really all that much thinking? It's only interplanetary stuff (i.e. outside kerbin's little system) where much thought is actually necessary. Trial and error more or less gets you to the mun. If you know how to set a node, the game pretty much tells you what to do.

If you want to do impressive stuff, yeah, I guess you can either get the calculator out... ...or massively over-engineer your rockets (and make friends with the quicksave button too).
  • Page

of 4 First / Last

Next