Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    Millennium Falcon!
    How the actual fuck!?
  • sirtacos 9 Dec 2013 11:16:45 7,205 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So, after a long hiatus, I finally came back to KSP...

I genuinely don't understand what I used to find so difficult about this game. (For some reason, I'm good at it now.) While my former, evidently retarded self would smash his head on the keyboard in frustration due to his countless miserable failures, my current self is zipping about the solar system like... Luke Skywalker or something. I'm Hoffman transferring, rendezvousing, landing on planets...

Either (1) at some point during the past six months, I magically acquired the intellect of a functional human being, or (2) my 6-month break from KSP gave my brain enough time to grasp the game's basic concepts. Either way, I'm an idiot. Oh well- at least I can finally enjoy this brilliant gem of a game.

(Just landed on Minmus! Woo)
  • DamoVotf 9 Dec 2013 11:24:39 422 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah I managed to land on Minmus for the first time over the weekend (I can hit it at high speed if required).

After all of that I transferred back to Earth to have my parachute snap off during the last 1k of descent.

Its still a great game and the career mode is class, although it would be impossible without Scott Manley.
  • sirtacos 9 Dec 2013 11:37:44 7,205 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The career mode is a great addition. Contending with the limitations imposed by the tech tree has made me an infinitely better player. I actually think about efficiency now. Before, I basically played KSP like a game of Jenga with rocket boosters.

Your parachute story made me chuckle. I happened to me on a recent Munar return flight. Everything was going smoothly until, during Kerbin re-entry, I decided to fast forward after deploying the parachutes. *SNAP* @ 500m. Over 90 science points lost. I reverted to vehicle assembly in disgust (I won't let Jebediah pay for my mistakes, dammit) and remembered the bitter lesson I should have learned long ago: if you're not careful, FAST FORWARD WILL KILL YOU.

I now treat the fast forward buttons with the proper respect. They are capricious things, bound to fuck your shit up and ruin hours of meticulous planning.

Also, F5 and F9 are the best co-pilots.

Edited by sirtacos at 12:01:20 09-12-2013
  • DamoVotf 9 Dec 2013 12:15:32 422 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah I dont save enough, I sent those Kerbins straight back up there, this time though with 4 radial parachutes. I need the science!!!!

Im still at the old 12 solid boosters to get to 10k, so not that efficient but its fun getting the rocket you use to that height with full fuel.
  • sirtacos 9 Dec 2013 12:43:09 7,205 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah the old layered boosters trick makes asparagus staging almost redundant for basic rockets. My designs usually include wild spinning at the edge of the atmosphere as a bonus feature.

I bet Jeb wishes he were dead.
  • Jeepers 9 Dec 2013 13:08:56 13,172 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dumb question: I just bought the full game after messing about with the demo. In Career mode, how do I go about earning Science Points (?) - is there a list of tasks to complete somewhere?

Ta!
  • Kostabi 9 Dec 2013 13:11:49 4,671 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I haven't touched this for a while. Which reminds me that I really should put some effort in to getting my stranded heroes back to Kerbal at some point.

One of them wandered away from his pod on a planet and can't find it again. Poor fellow.
  • andyc1980 9 Dec 2013 13:19:36 1,057 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'd love to play this. However the only computer I have is my girlfriend's netbook or an old coal driven laptop. Does it need a decent rig to play.
  • DamoVotf 9 Dec 2013 13:25:39 422 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Jeepers wrote:
    Dumb question: I just bought the full game after messing about with the demo. In Career mode, how do I go about earning Science Points (?) - is there a list of tasks to complete somewhere?

Ta!
    Nope, go into space and click on the module with your Kerbal and get a crew report this gives you science, you can beam back (with a loss for how much Science you get) or return to planet to get the points. Some of the research branches give you new experiments to do, again with the same beam back or return principal.

If you are good it takes no time to get loads of science. I had over 200+ on my last return from Minmus with a science Lab and 2 Strange Goo containers and I am by no means proficient.

Edited by DamoVotf at 13:32:17 09-12-2013
  • DamoVotf 9 Dec 2013 13:28:43 422 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Kostabi wrote:
    I haven't touched this for a while. Which reminds me that I really should put some effort in to getting my stranded heroes back to Kerbal at some point.

One of them wandered away from his pod on a planet and can't find it again. Poor fellow.
    I have one who I couldnt get his jet pack to work for. He is now in a stable orbit 100k up, and almost 45k from his ship and still drifting away at 10ms. I may attempt to get back when he catches up with it.

The best trick I found, is that you have to wait until you are inside the gravity of a body to get orbits around it, so put a node when the gravity shifts and then you can fast forward to that point.

Edited by DamoVotf at 13:33:02 09-12-2013
  • Jeepers 9 Dec 2013 13:47:21 13,172 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hey DamoVotf - I don't seem to be getting the option to view a Crew Report; I can select my pilot / victim, but only have the option to embark on an EVA. I have attached the Antenna (correctly I believe!).

What am I doing wrong? Other than sending my pilots to a fiery and painful death over and over.
  • DamoVotf 9 Dec 2013 13:52:09 422 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Right click on the actual capsule itself and there should be an option for a Crew Report, this gives decent science the first few times you do it. Then you can get the Kerbal to exit the capsule and do an EVA and get another report.

Just dont lose him like I did.

It does sometimes bug out and not let you click parts of the ship, I find going back to the space centre and then back up generally sorts this.

Edited by DamoVotf at 13:52:43 09-12-2013
  • Jeepers 9 Dec 2013 13:58:08 13,172 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ah, aces. Switching back to the Space Centre and returning seemed to do the trick! Ta chap.
  • twelveways 10 Dec 2013 09:40:47 3,528 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Is this still in alpha?
  • DamoVotf 10 Dec 2013 10:27:20 422 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Pretty much, but its a great Alpha.
  • Tiger_Walts 12 Dec 2013 15:08:24 16,530 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago

KMP Client
    KMP Server

IT Monkey and StickyPiston Minecraft Hosting Support

• Razz 16 Jan 2014 22:50:04 60,032 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    So.... this game has me by the short and curlies. Any advice on how to not overshoot the Mun periapsis? I started a retrograde burn just before it but couldn't build up enough delta-v to get captured by it I ended up getting caught back into Kerbin orbbit :(

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• Tiger_Walts 17 Jan 2014 12:04:14 16,530 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    1. Refine your launch profile to be more efficient:
    - Don't break 200 m/s while in atmosphere (relax this restriction as you climb)
    - Likewise, don't begin your gravity turn too early. Any lateral velocity you create will lose a fraction to drag. 12K is a good place to turn for most small to medium rockets
    - Don't burn while pointing too far from the pro-grade marker (except for course corrections)
    2. Make sure your Kerbin orbit is Eastward, so it matches the Munar orbit
    3. Moonrise is the best window to launch directly to the Mun, if you launch at another time, then wait in orbit until shortly after moonrise
    4. Making a transfer burn that coincides with your pro-grade marker will be the most efficient
    5. Correction burns made nearer to a gravity well will be more efficient
    6. Correction burns made farther from your target will be more efficient (but harder to get perfect, use RCS for fine precision)
    7. Aim for a Westward orbit around the Mun
    8. If your DeltaV/s is low, aim for a higher capture orbit. It's less efficient but you'll be going slower at Munar periapsis

• munki83 17 Jan 2014 12:15:52 1,332 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The thing I find hardest with KSP is landing. I have a lot of trouble controlling my horizontal speed, so when I try a mun landing I usually topple over and die. Managed to rock myself back up once. Not played in a few months so should play it tonight while shouting ROCKET SHIP
  • Tiger_Walts 17 Jan 2014 13:26:24 16,530 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    On your descent, always burn towards the retro-grade marker. Not only is this the most efficient use of fuel but your angle of descent will always steepen. If you consider the forces: Thrust opposing the velocity and the force of gravity pulling down, the total force provides an acceleration that changes the velocity point more downward.

On final descent, aim away from vertical in the direction that the retro-grade marker is deflected from vertical until you are travelling straight down. As your descent speed slows, the marker will become more sensitive. Use less thrust angle to make adjustments.

• DamoVotf 17 Jan 2014 15:56:22 422 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Tiger_Walts wrote:
    On your descent, always burn towards the retro-grade marker. Not only is this the most efficient use of fuel but your angle of descent will always steepen. If you consider the forces: Thrust opposing the velocity and the force of gravity pulling down, the total force provides an acceleration that changes the velocity point more downward.

On final descent, aim away from vertical in the direction that the retro-grade marker is deflected from vertical until you are travelling straight down. As your descent speed slows, the marker will become more sensitive. Use less thrust angle to make adjustments.
    Yip this is the trick and also making sure you land on the light side on a flat plain.
  • Metalfish 25 Jan 2014 14:14:26 8,700 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm quite liking this after discovering that you get science for silly things like taking samples and reports from the launchpad. I know I've got the tech to get to the mun (possible not to get back), but right now I seem to dick about and generally not understand what the nav-ball is telling me.

Also, the tutorials I played through ages ago seem to be gone, any ideas?
  • Metalfish 25 Jan 2014 19:07:19 8,700 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I found a few things online. I still seem to be stubbornly refusing to learn what all the symbols mean but I'm well chuffed with my last mission: an entirely unnecessary slingshot-type-thing that brought me on a fly-past of the mun on the way home. Much science was done: 146! Which is a huge triumph for someone who doesn't really know how to play the game properly.
  • Metalfish 26 Jan 2014 19:24:00 8,700 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My god. Jebediah is back. I thought I left him in an eccentric orbit of Kerbal without fuel or hope. Did the Mun slingshot him back home whilst I wasn't looking? How the hell did he survive? And why are there bits of rocket wreckage from the woefully inadequate model I sent him up in everywhere?
  • sirtacos 29 Jan 2014 07:57:41 7,205 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Heh, nothing like that happens to my Kerbals anymore - since I discovered the F5 and F9 keys, there have been no accidents, no deaths, and no excitement. Well, aside from the excitement of everything going according to plan.
  • Doozler 5 Feb 2014 14:32:46 3 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    @sirtacos F5 and %9, you say

Aha! this could change my life!
  • Hydrogene 7 Feb 2014 17:10:28 103 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @sirtacos F5 and F9? I don't think that's in true Kerbal spirit!? ;)
  • Metalfish 7 Feb 2014 17:23:35 8,700 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Jeb was long smashed into the surface of the Mun in a blaze of unnecessary glory. Jesus H Kerbin knows what happened to the other starting kerbalnauts.
  • Doozler 7 Feb 2014 17:54:57 3 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    Just upgraded to the paid version. After a successful munar "landing" (only one landing strut destroyed) I'm now back at square one with none of my favourite bits!
  • Page

of 4 First / Last