Kerbal Space Program Page 2

• Page

of 4 First / Last

• Kostabi 9 Jun 2013 12:07:57 4,874 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've got a Kerbin stranded on Minmus as the lander didn't exactly touch down gracefully but luckily the pod survived so the little guy went for a wander and now can't find his pod. Also on Mun I have Bill chilling in the sunshine because he's out of fuel (although landed fine).

Good times.
  • twelveways 10 Jun 2013 10:36:54 3,843 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Get Mechjeb (mod) to help with docking, some consider it cheating but I think the developers have admitted that docking is still too difficult at the moment.

My addiction is waning slightly at the moment because of a lack of things to do (although I still havent been to any bodies outside of the Kerbin system) but there is a resources and mining patch promised for the near future, I expect to get hooked again :)
  • Tiger_Walts 14 Jun 2013 03:10:36 16,579 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    12.05 on Steam this weekend

IT Monkey and StickyPiston Minecraft Hosting Support

• Shikasama 14 Jun 2013 07:24:30 6,603 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I really want this but that still seems a bit too steep for something so niche.

I'm also not overjoyed at the amount of Early Access game son Steam
  • munki83 14 Jun 2013 08:24:48 1,397 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm so tempted by this I got addicted to the demo. I managed to get into space fairly quickly with my own design but it was more fluke than skill. The rest of my designs have ended up with spinning rockets of doom or ships so heavy they barely lift off
  • Rusty_M 14 Jun 2013 08:28:18 4,565 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Shikasama wrote:
    I really want this but that still seems a bit too steep for something so niche.

I'm also not overjoyed at the amount of Early Access game son Steam
    Steam notified me of one last night. Can't remember what it was, but they wanted 65!

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• Shikasama 14 Jun 2013 08:31:21 6,603 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Oh that Planetary Annihilation one I think. Unbelievable!
  • twelveways 14 Jun 2013 08:37:45 3,843 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think 12 quid is a great price
  • Tiger_Walts 15 Jun 2013 02:44:33 16,579 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    With all of the crazy mods available, there's more than enough to do before it hits Beta.

Every time I play I don't even get out of the atmosphere because I have Ferram Aerospace Research (FAR) installed and am having enough fun just building planes.

Let Scott Manley explain more.

You can also specify which control surfaces control what. In vanilla all control surfaces are used regardless of whether you elect to roll, pitch or yaw. You may also set them to act as flaps or air-brakes.

• sirtacos 15 Jun 2013 13:37:24 7,267 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've temporarily given up on this game.

I love it, but the frustration of trying to rendezvous in order to dock led me to just give up entirely.
    Even with MechJeb installed, I find the rendezvous mechanics tedious and frustrating.

I'd love it if there were a 'Mission Control' option, which allowed you to plan your flight in advance instead of trying to adjust nodes and create manoeuvres on the fly. As it stands, I just don't have the patience.

I love every other aspect of the game - from ship design to the more involved aspects, such as using planetary gravity wells as slingshots - but even (especially) with MechJeb's help, docking really did my head in. I may have persevered if it weren't for the fiddly time-warp function which can quickly turn a smooth (but boring) flight into utter disaster.

edit - that's a lot of 'love's...
    anyway I just found out about the F5/F9 function. That's auto save/auto load for anyone else who stupidly overlooked it like I did, making their game 1000x more tiresome in the process.

Looks like I'll revisit KSP sooner than I thought.

Edited by sirtacos at 13:46:14 15-06-2013
  • Tiger_Walts 16 Jun 2013 03:32:48 16,579 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Rendezvous takes a while to get the knack of. If you are going for a craft in a low-ish orbit. less than 150k then it's best to wait until it passes you. Shoot for an orbit 5k lower, try a manoeuvre for an intercept at apoapsis (burning pro-grade).

If you shot too late then just circularize, set up another node to raise your orbit and then drag that node back and forth (along the orbit, making the burn earlier or later) till you get a close pass. If you went too early, make a node that raises your periapsis to an apoapsis about 5k to 10k over the target orbit, drag it about a bit.

On closest approach, burn retrograde to kill all velocity relative to the target.

Remember Kepler, for a given parent body, Period Squared is proportional to Radius Cubed:

T^2 : R^3

Also, imagine a line from between the parent body and the child body, the area that the line sweeps across in a given time is always the same. What you should best take from that tidbit is simply:

Orbits will a small internal areas catch up to those with bigger internal areas, regardless of shape.

and,

If you double the area of an orbit, you also double the time to orbit.

When you consider the problem in terms of phase angles and ratios between orbital areas, your calculations suddenly becomes much easier, in fact, you can make a pretty damn good guess.

• Tiger_Walts 16 Jun 2013 03:47:22 16,579 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Anyway, this is awesome:

Two different wing pieces that you can change the length of the root, span, and tip, as well as skew the sweep. Also compatible with Ferram's mod.

I've made some ridiculous craft, including a teeny beast of a plane that, from take-off, can shoot itself out of the atmosphere up to 100km using hardly any fuel! If you build up a bit more speed you can hit 145km. I also managed to fly it up to 30km where it was going fast enough to orbit (if there was no air in the way). Just a shame that it's tough to land.

I also made a huge delta wing with 4 engines. Super stable, even in a flameout. I also landed it, on the runway, with just one engine. This mod is a must have!

• ecureuil 20 Jun 2013 20:37:20 76,485 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Really enjoying this game. I'm terrible at it, haven't managed to even get a satellite in to earth orbit yet, flung a couple out around the sun accidentally though. Some of the stuff I've seen on youtube and reddit blows my mind though.

Such as this..
  • Destria 20 Jun 2013 20:53:26 2,819 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If you're finding yourself shooting out to the sun, try adding some horizontal velocity! The trick to orbiting is to move so quickly along the Earth that it curves away from you as fast as you fall towards it!
  • ecureuil 20 Jun 2013 21:02:28 76,485 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah both times my second stage rocket didn't have any throttle control and massive fuel tanks so I eventually couldn't control it. One of them crashed in to the ocean and the other two ended up orbiting the sun. I need to modify my ship design slightly.

Edited by ecureuil at 21:06:24 20-06-2013
  • StarchildHypocrethes 20 Jun 2013 21:30:29 25,406 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    Such as this..
    That's insane...
  • Destria 21 Jun 2013 12:55:41 2,819 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That's the most amazing thing I've seen so far
  • DamoVotf 26 Jun 2013 16:21:25 518 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That link above is truely incredible, the patience and skill involved with that is staggering.

Already a great game, I send all my Kerbals on suicide missions (parachutes are for the weak) much to the annoyance of my GF. There are a few things they need to fix and clean up like being able to clone stuff on the rocket like dual explosive joints to hold larger boosters attached. But the game is pure genius and im barely scratching the surface.
  • munki83 28 Jun 2013 19:20:18 1,397 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Did one of the stupidest things a pc gamer can do and bought a game close to the steam sale but the demo had me hooked for 10 hours. Loving this game but I'm so bad at it lol. Spent 4 hours last night trying to land on the moon and my best attempt was a suicidal course that led me in to the direct path of the moon
  • munki83 28 Jun 2013 22:07:39 1,397 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I just landed on the moon but doubt I have the fuel to get me back to earth :(
  • ecureuil 28 Jun 2013 22:49:05 76,485 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Does anyone else have a problem with the engine getting detached from the fuel tank on the launch pad? You need to be using more than one engine, of course. I have a setup with three, and the engine of the middle one stays on the launch pad. Why is this happening?
  • munki83 28 Jun 2013 23:40:41 1,397 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Maybe its due to it not being attached to your craft properly. I know it sounds obvious and a little unhelpful :(. You could try saving your current ship design then taking away parts to see if its attached properly. I'm still a noob at this so cant help too much. There are some good guides on youtube. Even the Jese Cox lets play is useful even if its just the basics of building and getting up into space.
  • andytheadequate 29 Jun 2013 00:11:12 8,075 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I had a go at the demo after hearing good things, but I have no idea what I'm meant to do. I've tried the tutorials but they weren't much use. Can anyone offer any basic advice?
  • Dirtbox 29 Jun 2013 06:32:33 77,461 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's not rocket science.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Doomspoon 29 Jun 2013 09:58:49 2,414 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    He's here all week ladies and gentlemen!
  • sirtacos 6 Jul 2013 08:45:53 7,267 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    ecureuil wrote:
    Such as this..
    That's insane...
    8- 0

Jaw, meet Floor.

Makes me want to go back to KSP.
    In fact, I think I'll have a go at establishing a base on the moon. (Before I fail spectacularly and give up again, of course.)

Edited by sirtacos at 08:48:07 06-07-2013
  • twelveways 6 Jul 2013 09:58:04 3,843 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @andytheadequate
    Depends entirely what you want to do and what your problem is.

Start with a pod, stick a fuel tank or 3 to the bottom and then an engine under that, boom, you have a rocket.

all engines and decouplers have actions attached to them that you can see on the right hand side of your hangar (on the left when you are flying). You can move these around and group them together so you can do actions at the right time.

Dunno what else to explain as there is no stiry mode yet. set yourself a goal of landing on the moon (optional objective of returning to earth) and take it from there...
  • DamoVotf 8 Jul 2013 13:07:21 518 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Struts are your friend if your engines are falling apart, if you enjoy (as I do) just building the maximum thrust output possible you can build some truely hilarious stuff.

The game definitely needs more help and a career mode.
  • magicpanda 2 Aug 2013 08:11:45 13,258 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Is there lot more content and help in the full version compared to the demo?
  • ecureuil 4 Aug 2013 10:39:05 76,485 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Millennium Falcon!
  • Page

of 4 First / Last