Childlessness Page 14

• Page

of 15 First / Last

• Psychotext 11 Jan 2013 00:17:24 54,786 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    MariosLoveChild wrote:
    But dude your own business! You have the freedom to work 12 hours a day :)
    12? That sounds suspiciously like a holiday. None of that lark round here.

localnotail wrote:
    I have a reasonable expectation of being in fairly good nick at 75
    Given some of your posts regarding your hard living... yeah, no.

Edited by Psychotext at 00:18:37 11-01-2013
  • Deleted user 11 January 2013 00:39:16
    localnotail wrote:
    It was too hard living as if you'll die tomorrow. Hard to make real plans, plus I was always running out of milk. And loo roll.

I have a reasonable expectation of being in fairly good nick at 75, certainly don't see that as past it. Would be happy to do voluntary work once released from the rat race. Not planning on thinking about slowing down before 90, really.

I'll sort a private pension out when we're closer to clearing the mortgage.
    You're an older mum or dad.

My dad always said its better when babies come from young couple as it's more natural. In the sense of genes /i suppose it's correct... maybe with increased risks of defects and even down syndrome.

In terms of mental developement, fuck off! Break down of marriage when I wad small was horrific to me. Stability above all else
  • Psychotext 11 Jan 2013 00:43:00 54,786 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Having an older mum was awesome, I had many, many advantages over other kids because of it. Though sadly it came with one major downfall which I spent my entire life afraid of. :(
  • localnotail 11 Jan 2013 01:45:02 23,093 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    localnotail wrote:
    I have a reasonable expectation of being in fairly good nick at 75
    Given some of your posts regarding your hard living... yeah, no.
    I was never that much of a drinker once I hit my 20s. It's possible that the stoner years (decades) might bite me, but the rest was never more than occasional fun, never a habit. I spent the last 5 years of my 30s doing a job that included a fair amount of manual graft, I cycle and run (I ran 5k on the morning of my 40th birthday). Plus I'll need to stay fit & sober to keep up with the tiny overlord for the next 10 years or so.

I'm very fortunate that my grandparents all lived pretty healthily to their 90s, one into his 100s, and my parents are both well & active. I should manage to hit 75 ok, I would hope.

Edited by localnotail at 01:54:30 11-01-2013

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• Deleted user 11 January 2013 01:48:16
    Ye that's not too nice. But then I mean it's not really unique. Your parents being older? I remember worrying my dad was dead cause he was gone for hours when i was 11 or something. More to do with my dad being a cunt but, you know
  • Psychotext 11 Jan 2013 01:48:23 54,786 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I don't think any of mine made it into their 80s. I'm basically fucked.
  • localnotail 11 Jan 2013 01:51:53 23,093 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Psychotext I am sorry for your loss but glad to hear you liked having an older mum though. Dare say some of my daughter's classmates will have grans younger than me. Oh well, I just had to wait for the right time.

• Deleted user 11 January 2013 01:52:38
    drugs dont hit you when you give them up as far as I know localnotail, if they don't affect you now.

Drink is the worst thing. Known some people with korsakovs, hitting mammilary glands or some shit, brutal to some people
  • localnotail 11 Jan 2013 01:56:10 23,093 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Smoke anything and it may come back to bite you.

• Psychotext 11 Jan 2013 01:56:18 54,786 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    localnotail wrote:
    Dare say some of my daughter's classmates will have grans younger than me. Oh well, I just had to wait for the right time.
    Yeah, they will... and they'll also ask if that's her nan picking her up. Get used to that one or invest in serious makeup!
  • Deleted user 11 January 2013 01:59:52
    localnotail wrote:
    Not really. Unless you have some sort of mental illness or you accept the skankiest shit offered.
  • localnotail 11 Jan 2013 02:00:52 23,093 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'll take it on the chin. Makeup just makes me look old, I have no time for it

• Psychotext 11 Jan 2013 02:02:21 54,786 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    :)
  • localnotail 11 Jan 2013 02:03:44 23,093 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    MariosLoveChild wrote:
    localnotail wrote:
    Not really. Unless you have some sort of mental illness or you accept the skankiest shit offered.
    Sorry, but even high grade stuff makes potentially bad chemicals when it's burned, especially if you are actually smoking spliffs

• Deleted user 11 January 2013 02:04:20
    Neither of My parents are dead yet psychotext. Still I'll be pretty fucked when my mum dies.
  • Psychotext 11 Jan 2013 02:05:12 54,786 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, that sort of shit makes life a real bitch.
  • Deleted user 11 January 2013 02:10:22
    localnotail wrote:

Sorry, but even high grade stuff makes potentially bad chemicals when it's burned, especially if you are actually smoking spliffs
    No need to be sorry. Just different takes.

Not saying it'd good for you. But In relative terms to alcohol it's harmless.

Not even talking about high-grade. Low grade, toxic skunk shit can be preferable to being off your head on booze. In terms of violent crimes for instnace.

There is a link to mental illness, it does encourage it in some people, usually young men. But I'd argue it's minimal.
  • speedofthepuma 11 Jan 2013 11:35:10 13,310 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Pepsipop wrote:
    Oh well. I will live to the fullest now and not worry about a time I'm likely not to get to anyway.

Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself.

Live as if you were to die tomorrow.

This argument is surely not compatible with creating a life and caring for it.

Oh and local is bang on about drugs I'm afraid, sure as a population it can be argued that alcohol is more damaging, but as an individual you are gambling with your mental health, pure and simple.

I lurk. If I've spoken to you, I'm either impassioned, or drunk.

• Tonka 11 Jan 2013 11:42:37 21,130 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    MariosLoveChild wrote:
    My dad always said its better when babies come from young couple as it's more natural. In the sense of genes /i suppose it's correct...
    Wait what? Do genes deteriorate over time? In a way that effects your offsprings?

I would never have guessed.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Deleted user 11 January 2013 11:47:04
    speedofthepuma wrote:
    Pepsipop wrote:
    Oh well. I will live to the fullest now and not worry about a time I'm likely not to get to anyway.

Oh and local is bang on about drugs I'm afraid, sure as a population it can be argued that alcohol is more damaging, but as an individual you are gambling with your mental health, pure and simple.
    True but I do care for my kids etc but I was more talking for when I'm old and after the children have left home.
  • chopsen 11 Jan 2013 11:48:25 16,194 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I was thinking of taking up smoking, actually. Cigars obviously. I have standards.
  • speedofthepuma 11 Jan 2013 11:54:21 13,310 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Pepsipop wrote:
    speedofthepuma wrote:
    Pepsipop wrote:

True but I do care for my kids etc but I was more talking for when I'm old and after the children have left home.
    So you mean live as if you were to die when your dependants (and their children) are both financially and emotionally mature enough that it will not affect them negatively?

Carpe diem indeed.

Edited by speedofthepuma at 11:58:18 11-01-2013

• DaM 11 Jan 2013 11:55:31 13,435 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Pepsipop wrote:
    Beautiful. I personally wouldn't post my daughter's o n this forum though as there are too many creeps.
    I'm more worried about the stripey brown thing on the left.
  • sport 11 Jan 2013 11:56:13 12,798 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nice Harley, Gran!
  • Tonka 11 Jan 2013 11:56:24 21,130 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ALL THE WAY TO THE EDGE!
    and then back a little

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• speedofthepuma 11 Jan 2013 11:58:32 13,310 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Post deleted

• brokenkey 11 Jan 2013 15:43:42 7,112 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    morriss perfectly on cue. You know... if we made reasonable plans for our pensions in the first place then people wouldn't need to panic about how they might be funded.
    You've misunderstood how pensions work then. You can put as much money away today as you want to. When you come to draw your pension, you aren't draining your savings (because then they would run out). Instead you are buying an commitment from a company that in exchange for your pile of cash savings, they'll pay you an annual income (buying an annuity)

For them to do this, they invest your savings in stocks, shares and bonds. For stock and shares, they are looking for the companies they've invested into make a profit, and to pay dividends. No dividends, no money to the pension firm, no pension for you. (see Equitable). Bonds are issued by governments, they expect to pay you back from taxes. Taxes are paid by individuals, and by companies. Companies don't make money, they require staff to do this.

So, regardless of how much you save, if there aren't people working in jobs in the future, your children or someone elses, you are going to starve and/or freeze in your old age.

Edited by brokenkey at 15:49:14 11-01-2013

3DS 3497-0122-1484
    XBL/PSN/NNID: CptnBrokenkey

• Psychotext 11 Jan 2013 15:46:00 54,786 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ...and again, I'm talking about governments, not individuals.

Also, are you really talking about so few kids being born that we can't even run essential services? What the hell is this, Children of Men?

I'm referring to similar situations to that of Japan, only maybe worse.

Edited by Psychotext at 15:50:13 11-01-2013
  • Deleted user 11 January 2013 15:49:31
    I mean I dont care about the old me after 75. So from now till 75 I will spend all the money I have on making sure I enjoy life and not put 200 away a month like I used to do into a pension that is not guaranteed.
    So now that 200 pounds can go on things like ballet and swimming for the girls.
  • Deleted user 11 January 2013 15:50:09
    MariosLoveChild wrote:
    There is a link to mental illness, it does encourage it in some people, usually young men. But I'd argue it's minimal.
    Why would you argue it's minimal?
  • Page

of 15 First / Last