Childlessness Page 12

• Page

of 15 First / Last

• localnotail 10 Jan 2013 16:58:23 23,093 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    We need more kids apparently

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• chopsen 10 Jan 2013 17:48:14 16,194 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    A declining rate of population expansion is not a bad thing.
  • Psychotext 10 Jan 2013 18:00:05 54,779 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Everyone will start bitching about their pensions then. It's like the ultimate pyramid scheme.
  • morriss 10 Jan 2013 18:11:36 71,283 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Chopsen wrote:
    So how do we afford people's pension when there will be proportionally more dependants than providers?
  • THFourteen 10 Jan 2013 18:12:22 34,184 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You know you're getting on a bit when every other picture on facebook is of somebody else's baby!
  • disusedgenius 10 Jan 2013 18:14:14 5,513 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    So how do we afford people's pension when there will be proportionally more dependants than providers?
    By the time we reach this stage pensions will just a a relic of a forgotten time anyway.
  • Psychotext 10 Jan 2013 18:15:31 54,779 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    morriss perfectly on cue. You know... if we made reasonable plans for our pensions in the first place then people wouldn't need to panic about how they might be funded.

Same goes for paying for the elderly when there's more of them than workers. You have, what, 40 years of taxing me to get the money you need. How about you consider the fact that at some point you might actually need to use that money for something other than lavish salaries and expense accounts. :)

Edit - That'll probably be more years of taxing now I think about it. Get me into work at 16, tax me until I'm fucking dead.

Edited by Psychotext at 18:16:35 10-01-2013
  • chopsen 10 Jan 2013 18:16:24 16,194 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    Chopsen wrote:
    If you model a falling birth rate with iterative matrix transformations, weirdly it doesn't seem to matter that much. I can't remember why but I did it as a part of my maths degree and seems to work out that way. Also, children/young people are dependent on society as well, they just use different resources, so state resources shift to compensate compensate. This happens iteratively over generations. You don't just wake up with no kids.

edit: and to turn your question back at you, how can we afford to support an endlessly rising population given finite resources? (Specifically water, land, food and energy) If your solution to support the existing population is to have more population, that is inherently not sustainable.

Edited by Chopsen at 18:21:05 10-01-2013
  • sport 10 Jan 2013 18:22:18 12,798 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Pensions or no pensions, the bottom line is we need meme to dish out more cream-pies!
  • Deckard1 10 Jan 2013 18:22:38 29,115 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    No! Everybody must breed! Forget the the planet is becoming completely starved of natural resources, what about our pensions?

Fish fingers and chips pretty straight forward.

• Psychotext 10 Jan 2013 18:24:15 54,779 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    sport wrote:
    Pensions or no pensions, the bottom line is we need meme to dish out more cream-pies!
    Or meme-pies as they've come to be known.

Edited by Psychotext at 18:24:32 10-01-2013
  • morriss 10 Jan 2013 19:28:12 71,283 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Children are an investment and they amount of tax they could generate if nurtured properly would far outweigh that investment. The resources aren't finite in this regard.
  • Lexx87 10 Jan 2013 19:30:29 20,863 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    But are in every other one which would make it sustainable

Speak the truth hussy!

• Rens11 10 Jan 2013 19:35:25 1,450 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @meme

Cat shit is far worse than human shit! Fucking vile stuff

Dont kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, hed eat you and everyone you care about!

• Deleted user 10 January 2013 19:38:02
    Yesterday, the spare bathroom where the litter trays are had plumbing problems and the toilet decided to spill human waste all over the floor. I can categorically say it smelt worse than any time I've cleaned out those boxes.
  • Rens11 10 Jan 2013 19:41:34 1,450 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    but how long had it been brewing?

Dont kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, hed eat you and everyone you care about!

• Deleted user 10 January 2013 19:42:49
    I didn't really think to carbon date it as I was soaking it up off the floor.
  • Rens11 10 Jan 2013 19:44:56 1,450 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    well were comparing apples and oranges then!

• Deleted user 10 January 2013 19:49:22
    Not really. We do a full clean of the litterboxes every two weeks (scooping out the clumps and turds every other day), and that's when the smells make me gag. So the stuff that flowed from the toilet like golgotha needs to beat a fortnight of fermentation.
  • chopsen 10 Jan 2013 19:53:18 16,194 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    Children are an investment and they amount of tax they could generate if nurtured properly would far outweigh that investment. The resources aren't finite in this regard.
    Irrelevant sophistry that has nothing to do with anything anybody else said. Thanks for trying to contribute though!
  • morriss 10 Jan 2013 20:02:29 71,283 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    A) it isn't sophistry. B) it is entirely relevant to the discussion about needing resources to support pensioners.

I'm perfectly willing to admit I might have missed something however and that my argument was beside the point you were making.

Please don't condescend me again.
  • chopsen 10 Jan 2013 20:06:30 16,194 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You started by responding to my posts. So who are you arguing with then?

And it bleeding well is sophistry. It has a plausible ring to but it's conclusion is meaningless given the statement "The resources aren't finite in this regard" is either false, or you're using a different meaning of word "resorces" so it's a meaningless in the context of this discussion.

Sorry if I sound condescending. I'll be less condescending if you do the same. Deal?

Edited by Chopsen at 20:11:47 10-01-2013

Edited by Chopsen at 20:12:54 10-01-2013
  • morriss 10 Jan 2013 20:07:41 71,283 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    morriss perfectly on cue. You know... if we made reasonable plans for our pensions in the first place then people wouldn't need to panic about how they might be funded.

Same goes for paying for the elderly when there's more of them than workers. You have, what, 40 years of taxing me to get the money you need. How about you consider the fact that at some point you might actually need to use that money for something other than lavish salaries and expense accounts. :)

Edit - That'll probably be more years of taxing now I think about it. Get me into work at 16, tax me until I'm fucking dead.
    What about the people who don't think as clearly and as logically as you do? Or who can't administer their cash for whatever reason?

Should we really punish people for lack of planning and foresight?
  • GrandpaUlrira 10 Jan 2013 20:35:51 3,752 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    Yes! The ant and the grasshopper and all that.
  • Lukus 10 Jan 2013 20:56:12 19,354 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    morriss wrote:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Paintings & Photographs

• Bremenacht 10 Jan 2013 20:59:27 19,259 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    Psychotext wrote:

What about the people who don't think as clearly and as logically as you do? Or who can't administer their cash for whatever reason?

No we should punish the people who did plan for later life by taking their money off them and giving it those who didn't. We must create a culture where people who'd rather piss what money they have up a wall than save a penny are funded by those who bothered to put money to one side.

I love people who whine all the time about being skint, because they've been on holiday somewhere nice or got an iPhone or an iPad or a new telly. I feel I must buy their drinks for them in the pub, because I didn't buy luxury goods I couldn't afford and thus have spare cash. Spare cash to spend on them, while they moan about bills and the cost of everything. Wankers.

People have to be forced to save or have something taken off them through PAYE. A proportional, sensible contibution towards THEIR future life.
  • Deckard1 10 Jan 2013 21:05:39 29,115 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Lukus wrote:
    morriss wrote:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Fish fingers and chips pretty straight forward.

• morriss 10 Jan 2013 21:18:52 71,283 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Avengers Assemble!
  • Psychotext 10 Jan 2013 21:49:26 54,779 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    morriss wrote:

I'm talking about governments on the whole... and they'd better fucking think more clearly and logically than me.
  • Jazzy_Geoff 10 Jan 2013 22:00:47 7,781 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm not sure what you losers are bickering about now but I never wanted kids but my wife wore me down. My daughter is, for me, the most amazing, beautiful thing in world. She's absolutely awesome. I regret nothing and her brother is due in march.
  • Page

of 15 First / Last