New York tips

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous
  • altitude2k 27 Dec 2012 20:45:45 4,586 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    After a bit of advice, and the EG travel forum has come up trumps for me in the past!

Off to New York in June for a week with the wife. We've both been before so we're more inclined to try more New Yorker stuff, rather than touristy bits. Got a couple of things we would like to do and would enjoy the experience of fellow travellers.

First up, we want to go for a great meal somewhere, probably in midtown and preferably with a skyline view. Being June, perhaps even a rooftop venue. Not to say that money is no object but I'd be more than happy to spend, say $100-150 each. I ask now so that I can book it ASAP if required.

The next is a picnic in the park. We could put one together ourselves (sans alcohol, obviously!), but we're not there to go food shopping. I've heard there's a few good delis around that put them together with a day's notice or so, and wondered if anyone had any recommendations?

Edited by altitude2k at 20:46:43 27-12-2012
  • Gambit1977 27 Dec 2012 21:01:15 10,206 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Go to Wolfgangs in midtown, off Park avenue. Incredibly hard to get a seat but the steak for two is absolutely incredible!

Try and do the little boutiques downtown as well, lovely :-) I'd also recommend using trip advisor and doing the cupcake crawl!
  • mrpon 27 Dec 2012 21:11:04 29,203 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's been a while, but I really enjoyed a meal/stand up comedy at Carolines.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Deleted user 27 December 2012 21:13:25
    It's been ages since NewYork stopped posting here.
  • DaM 27 Dec 2012 21:23:59 13,338 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Have a search, there's another thread somewhere here with loads of NYC info.
  • Deleted user 27 December 2012 21:30:22
    high line high line high line!!!!

(if you get a nice day, go early and go for a jog, or just walk along with your coffee)
  • elstoof 27 Dec 2012 21:34:32 7,762 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rainbow room.
  • altitude2k 27 Dec 2012 21:49:11 4,586 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Rainbow room.
    Isn't that closed?
  • Gland 27 Dec 2012 22:06:21 78,480 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Was there about a month ago. Nothing good to say about the place. Shit food, vile coffee, it's just London with taller buildings, retarded intersections and bafflingly huge cars.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Pac-man-ate-my-wife 27 Dec 2012 22:24:10 7,013 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Was there about a month ago. Nothing good to say about the place. Shit food, vile coffee, it's just London with taller buildings, retarded intersections and bafflingly huge cars.
    You suck at New York.
  • Pac-man-ate-my-wife 27 Dec 2012 22:28:40 7,013 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    OP, search the forum. My advice here is still good I hope!: http://www.eurogamer.net/forum/thread/175557
  • altitude2k 29 Dec 2012 11:23:35 4,586 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Thanks chaps, have taken a look at the High Line - looks great. Has anyone been to The View rotating restaurant at Times Square?
  • TheSaint 29 Dec 2012 12:01:30 14,623 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just got back yesterday. It was a bit crazy at Christmas but very festive.

On the picnic front there is a Whole Foods Market at Columbus Circle (bottom left corner of Central Park). Essentially it's a supermarket but not in the Tesco or Sainsburys sense. They have a huge selection of fresh foods, salads and sandwiches and you could easily make an awesome picnic there.

Can't really offer any advice on roof top restaurants aside from the fact that The Rainbow Room definitely is closed. If you want a regular (fine dining) restaurant then Le Bernardin are worth a look.

Edited by TheSaint at 12:03:31 29-12-2012
  • Trafford 29 Dec 2012 12:32:38 5,884 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    La Esquina , Mexican in an old Speakeasy.

Edited by Trafford at 12:34:46 29-12-2012
  • Dante_Cubit 29 Dec 2012 12:36:59 1,928 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Not what you have asked for but whenever I am in New York I always go for brunch at Bubby's Pie Company in Tribeca. Great American food, nice atmosphere and a brillant part of the city. Get a coffee afterwards and walk it off in the local neighbourhood.
  • elstoof 29 Dec 2012 12:54:36 7,762 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I always go to Bxl East for the best Belgian beer selection outside of Belgium, the Bull and Bear in the Waldorf do a good Negroni and Les Halles have the best frites in the city. Hide-Chan ramen is good and cheap too. Fucking love east mid town.
  • nedsnurb 9 Jan 2013 11:38:56 15 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Any tips for booking flights/hotels? Looking to go with my girlfriend in December just after Thanksgiving, is it cheaper to book flights/hotel seperately or any good sites for package deals?
  • the_dudefather 9 Jan 2013 12:01:40 9,328 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Going to Boston (for Pax East) and New York in just over two months

Should probably start planning on things to do (been to NY before, but that was back in 97)

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• HarryPalmer 9 Jan 2013 12:11:15 3,417 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Airbnb for accomodation, you can get some super nice places for really cheap. I stayed in Williamsburg and would definately recommend it.

Here is a map of burger and pizza places that I wanted to visit when I went, I didnt go to them all!

Standout places were - The Spotted Pig, Best Pizza, Motorino, Shopsins, Shake Shake, Diner, and JG Melon

Here is a map of some bars

Berry Park has an awesome roof garden.

Any gamer must go to Barcade - a bar full of arcade machines. Just dont put your drink on the cabinets!

Edited by HarryPalmer at 12:12:01 09-01-2013
  • glaeken 9 Jan 2013 12:18:09 11,227 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My top NYC tip is the cabs from the airport have a fixed rate to take you into the city if you get them from the Taxi rank. If a cab driver comes up to you and offers you a cab the fixed rate does not apply. It's a while since I have been but the fixed rate used to be something like $35 and a non-fixed rate charge will be something like $70. The cab drivers roaming the terminals trying to pick up customers are also very pushy so they catch a lot of people out with not getting the fixed rate.
  • TheSaint 9 Jan 2013 12:18:44 14,623 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    nedsnurb wrote:
    Any tips for booking flights/hotels? Looking to go with my girlfriend in December just after Thanksgiving, is it cheaper to book flights/hotel seperately or any good sites for package deals?
    If you're going to the US then you can't really beat Priceline's 'Name your own price' or Hotwire for cheap hotels. Personally I also think it's cheaper to book the flight and hotel yourself rather than as a package.
  • TheSaint 9 Jan 2013 12:20:54 14,623 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    glaeken wrote:
    My top NYC tip is the cabs from the airport have a fixed rate to take you into the city if you get them from the Taxi rank. If a cab driver comes up to you and offers you a cab the fixed rate does not apply. It's a while since I have been but the fixed rate used to be something like $35 and a non-fixed rate charge will be something like $70. The cab drivers roaming the terminals trying to pick up customers are also very pushy so they catch a lot of people out with not getting the fixed rate.
    This is a good tip although that fixed rate has gone up a bit. It's now something like $52 +tolls but still the quickest and easiest way to get to your hotel.
  • beastmaster 6 Aug 2013 11:15:17 11,622 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Looks as though I may be going in December. Sometime around 12th to be exact. Any suggestions for what to do over Xmas there.

With the PS4 rumored to be out around that time, I'll have something to look forward to when I get back :-)

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• TheSaint 6 Aug 2013 11:34:42 14,623 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    We went over Christmas last year and essentially did the same things that we've done at other times of year just in the cold.

We did go and see this show which was quite festive:

http://www.radiocitychristmas.com/newyork.html
  • Zomoniac 6 Aug 2013 11:37:06 7,857 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Check out the Intrepid. I understand the space shuttle is back open again, it was closed when I went following storm damage. They have a big submarine.
  • phAge 6 Aug 2013 11:47:29 24,386 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    We'll be in NY form the 22nd to the 28th of September, and are currently having sod-all luck finding a place to stay. Budget is about 50-60 quid a night, which apparently means either staying at a centrally located crackhouse or spending an hour by bus or train to and from Manhattan.

Serves us right for not booking earlier, I guess. :(
  • Tonka 6 Aug 2013 11:48:57 20,821 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    glaeken wrote:
    This is a good tip although that fixed rate has gone up a bit. It's now something like $52 +tolls but still the quickest and easiest way to get to your hotel.
    My wife being thrifty as she is refused to take anything but the subway.
    Dirt cheap and not very complicated either. It can't have been more than 10 dollars per person.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• elstoof 6 Aug 2013 12:01:00 7,762 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'll be in NYC this December too, and plan on doing mostly the things I'd do at any other time of the year but with a bit of extra Xmas shit like the Rockefeller tree, ice skating in the park etc which my wife is keen to see and do.
  • magicpanda 6 Aug 2013 12:24:19 13,411 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Wear very, very, very comfortable walking shoes.
  • lexxx 6 Aug 2013 12:40:56 166 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Went to NY for the third time last December and went a (little) bit further afield, into Brooklyn mainly for the purpose of walking back into Manhattan over the bridge, but Brooklyn looked lovely - street art, coffee shops, that sort of thing.

Also, a real highlight was a bike ride along the Manhattan Waterfront Greenway, which is almost entirely separate from the roads. As you can see from the map at http://www.nycbikemaps.com/ it goes a long way around Manhattan but I just did a section from fifty something st west going north to Inwood Hill Park (which used to be a forest and is being restored) and back. Despite being a Sunday afternoon it was very quiet, and though I got a bit rained on, it was a nice contrast from the hustle and bustle. (Rented bike from a shop, significantly cheaper than the people who rent them on the street near Central Park, but mainly cos it was nearer the route and I didn't fancy cycling in traffic).

Edited by lexxx at 12:49:18 06-08-2013
  • Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous