general isms that deserve to die by fire Page 3

• Page

of 10 First / Last

• Deleted user 27 December 2012 09:49:10
    The 'addicting' instead of 'addictive' thing bugs the shit out of me.

It sounds wrong and borderline retarded.
  • Deleted user 27 December 2012 09:49:45
    nickthegun wrote:
    Ok:

Americanisms that deserve to die with fire

And, while I'm on the subject, people who say lol in real life.
    In town last week and overhear a girl with her friends actually say "hashtag yolo".

There is never a passing bus when you need it.
  • Toonster 27 Dec 2012 09:51:15 6,839 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Two things that bother me in general:

1) Calling university 'school'. School is where I went before university.

2) 'Wanna come with?' With what?

Living in the US for a little more than 7 years, though, most of these don't bother me anymore, and I'm unfortunately starting to adopt some of them. I seem to go back and forth between 'fall' and 'autumn'.

3DS: 0361-6951-2609 (Tom)

• nickthegun 27 Dec 2012 09:52:37 59,302 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    17) Oh no someone has done something I don't like! OBLIGATORY CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT.
    As an aside, im sure you are aware that this isnt an americanism any longer.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• BritishBlue1 27 Dec 2012 09:53:55 132 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @darkmorgado

Many of the items in your list are fucking idiotic, untrue, nonsensical, irrelevant or a by-product of your apparent OCD.

Here's a question: why are so many people on this board, and British people in particular, so obsessed with the United States? And why does that obsession frequently manifest itself in an anti-American bias?
    I can't help but think that certain people on this board have some serious "issues" (my favourite American word).
  • Deckard1 27 Dec 2012 09:54:41 27,563 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    darkmorgado wrote:
    17) Oh no someone has done something I don't like! OBLIGATORY CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT.
    As an aside, im sure you are aware that this isnt an americanism any longer.

As his 15 grand worth of action figures proves.

Edited by Deckard1 at 09:55:08 27-12-2012

Hush you ponce

• LeoliansBro 27 Dec 2012 09:55:08 43,614 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    HOW DARE THEIR CULTURE DEVELOP INDEPENDENTLY OF OURS.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• MadCaddy13 27 Dec 2012 09:55:33 1,869 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    You know why I tawk like this? Coz I'm a cap. My dad was a cap. My mom was a cap. My dawg was a cap. I dress like this coz I'm a cap. Are you a cap? Didn't think so. I know caps.
  • sport 27 Dec 2012 09:59:43 12,666 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Has Fruit popped in yet with a random "I'll die for this island" post?
  • superdelphinus 27 Dec 2012 09:59:44 8,038 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    spudsbuckley wrote:
    bugs the shit out of me.

It's thread is funny
  • cubbymoore 27 Dec 2012 10:03:07 36,473 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Shooting the shit.

Such an American thing to do. Is there anything they won't shoot?
  • LeoliansBro 27 Dec 2012 10:04:19 43,614 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    sport wrote:

If you say his name five times in the mirror he joins the Armed Forces.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Deleted user 27 December 2012 10:05:12
    sport wrote:
    Sober enough to still be ashamed of his RAF windup I think/hope.
  • BritishBlue1 27 Dec 2012 10:18:00 132 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @mowgli

What RAF windup?! This sound interesting.
  • Deckard1 27 Dec 2012 10:21:09 27,563 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Its not. He said he was joining the RAF. He didn't.

Hush you ponce

• heyyo 27 Dec 2012 10:24:21 14,374 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    Ok:

Americanisms that deserve to die with fire

And, while I'm on the subject, people who say lol in real life.
    In town last week and overhear a girl with her friends actually say "hashtag yolo".

There is never a passing bus when you need it.
    Not knowing what the hell "hastag yolo" actually means - I think i'd laugh if I heard someone say that!
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 27 Dec 2012 10:38:11 541 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    BritishBlue1 wrote:
    @darkmorgado

Many of the items in your list are fucking idiotic, untrue, nonsensical, irrelevant or a by-product of your apparent OCD.

Here's a question: why are so many people on this board, and British people in particular, so obsessed with the United States? And why does that obsession frequently manifest itself in an anti-American bias?
    I can't help but think that certain people on this board have some serious "issues" (my favourite American word).
    Probably because a) so much popular media comes from them so we are exposed to a lot of it and b) they speak the same language as us so differences stand out more (despite the fact we have a large range of accents and dialects of our own). Not liking the way they use the language isn't quite the same as hating them ;)

In my own situation I have to teach English to foreign language students in a country which tends to use American English as a default so I encounter a lot of the minor differences (I teach low level, so none of the inticracies, more things like pronunciation of vowels and spelling), although to be fair to them (the students), I do try my best to make my students aware of both versions/methods of most things.
  • Razz 27 Dec 2012 10:53:07 60,993 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    'Americans don't speak Spanish' squeaks in at the death for the 2012 Culturally Insensitive Award for Ignorance.
    Hello captain pedantry! Merry, erm, day after boxing day.

I was talking in general as the official language of the country, I'm not so stupid that I am unaware of the huge latino population.

But by the same yardstick, a similar "things that piss me off about UK slang" would ignore the fact we have a massive muslim population.

I'm talking, basically, about dominant lingual culture (or at least what is dominant in terms of overseas exposure to it)
    Interesting fact for you. In Spain and Portugal. "America" is Central and South America, and "Americans" are people from those countries. They refer to the USA and Canada as "Norte Americano" (iirc), i.e. North America

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• Kosmoz 27 Dec 2012 10:54:45 7,654 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I like how Dale complains about them calling us European and yet is fine to continue calling them American, which of course is two continents rather than one, so making a much bigger generalisation than they do.

Every girl I ever kissed I was thinking of a pro footballer.

• lucky_jim 27 Dec 2012 10:57:42 5,274 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Some of those are plain wrong, dark. If you want to while away an afternoon in a etymologically geeky way, have a look at the origins of the s/z spellings of words like recognise/recognize. It's not that long ago people would have told you the "z" spelling was British and the "s" form American: they would have been just as wrong as the people/ MS Word spell checks who tell you the opposite. And their more routine use of the Oxford comma makes a lot of sense, as does their firmer rule on when to use "that" or "which".

That said, having over the last couple of years moved from an English language-based job with the UK government to a similar one with an American multinational, it causes me actual pain to have to "fix" the Britishisms that creep into a lot of our writing (particularly our writers from Africa and the Middle East).
  • Razz 27 Dec 2012 10:59:46 60,993 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Kosmoz wrote:
    I like how Dale complains about them calling us European and yet is fine to continue calling them American, which of course is two continents rather than one, so making a much bigger generalisation than they do.
    Haha! Try telling your average USA citizen that Mexicans are Americans too! I speak from experience, I was told, "it's not the same thing", pretty the same response when I went around referring to whites "European-American"

• Steve_Perry 27 Dec 2012 11:02:27 3,809 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I remember a time on EG when there was no dale mongo. And for a time, it was good.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• sport 27 Dec 2012 11:02:38 12,666 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    Kosmoz wrote:
    Haha! Try telling your average USA citizen that Mexicans are Americans too! I speak from experience, I was told, "it's not the same thing", pretty the same response when I went around referring to whites "European-American"
    I'm more African than you!!!!!!

;-P
  • jonsaan 27 Dec 2012 11:03:57 25,333 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The only one that bugs me is calling Lego bricks Legos.

Most American pronunciations make more sense if you calm down and think about it.

Router for instance. It should be written Rooter to fall in line with how we say it. We don't say 'let's go Ootside', so it really makes no sense to say rooter.

FCUTA!

• skuzzbag 27 Dec 2012 11:09:03 5,638 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's not "Rowt" though it is.

SO EVERYONE IS SHIT AREN'T THEY!?

Edited by skuzzbag at 11:09:20 27-12-2012

Edited by skuzzbag at 11:09:58 27-12-2012
  • Razz 27 Dec 2012 11:09:31 60,993 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    sport wrote:
    Razz wrote:
    Kosmoz wrote:

;-P
    My fiancee and i joke about this all the time, what if we went to the USA and became US citizens. By all rights, she'd be African American and I'd be European American! Totally screws their system

• jonsaan 27 Dec 2012 11:09:44 25,333 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Out.
    Shout.
    Pout.

FCUTA!

• skuzzbag 27 Dec 2012 11:11:46 5,638 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    What could you call yourself if you are half American, quarter Irish and quarter Scottish, born in England and then move to America?
  • sport 27 Dec 2012 11:12:02 12,666 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    sport wrote:
    Razz wrote:
    Kosmoz wrote:

;-P
    My fiancee and i joke about this all the time, what if we went to the USA and became US citizens. By all rights, she'd be African American and I'd be European American! Totally screws their system
    Haha, brilliant.
  • sport 27 Dec 2012 11:12:43 12,666 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    skuzzbag wrote:
    What could you call yourself if you are half American, quarter Irish and quarter Scottish, born in England and then move to America?
    /waits for punchline
  • Page

of 10 First / Last