• Page

of 10 First / Last

Next
  • Khanivor 30 Dec 2012 23:18:47 40,388 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Here's a mop. Clean up after yourself.
  • Deleted user 30 December 2012 23:28:30
    The cup thing was the most half-arsed inclusion on the list, really. US measurements are pretty much all by volume, which is a fuck of a lot easier to guesstimate than weight, and makes more logical sense than using a combination of weight for solids and volume for liquids.

There was a good article a while ago about how people go on about "Americanisms" (or any sort of cultural divide of the nation-to-hate-du-jour) without actually understanding why they're like they are or even really being able to explain why they get so upset about them, and if everyone just stopped fucking moaning like a mongoloid hankering for a dirty window to lick and thought about it instead there'd probably be a massive drop in sales of blood pressure medication.
  • Syrette 30 Dec 2012 23:32:58 43,063 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Worst thing about this thread is the travesty in the title.

• Ryze 30 Dec 2012 23:45:26 3,121 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:

If there is one Americanism I do hate - loathe is more accurate - it's the use of the word 'like' as the vocal equivalent of a loading screen. You may be thick but your sentence doesn't require the inclusion of six 'like's.
    A opposed to our 'erm' and 'you know', and 'basically'. I'll have to record myself having a conversation to make sure I don't do that shit, as there was this guy at one of my jobs once... BLIMEY!

Edited by Ryze at 23:46:29 30-12-2012
  • Mr-Brett 31 Dec 2012 00:12:39 12,723 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    meme wrote:
    The cup thing was the most half-arsed inclusion on the list, really. US measurements are pretty much all by volume, which is a fuck of a lot easier to guesstimate than weight, and makes more logical sense than using a combination of weight for solids and volume for liquids.
    Yeah it's a bit weird if you're used to normal measurements but in principle it's not that bad and if you're serious about cooking then you can buy a set of exact measuring cups. Also it's better than the alternative - imperial measurements *shudder*.

Portable view - Never forget.

• spamdangled 31 Dec 2012 00:17:15 27,269 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'd be interested in reading the article meme was referring to, if he has a link to hand.

Regarding the cooking measurement stuff, I totally get the principle of volume vs metric type stuff and how both are valid (though I still find myself thinking "what volume cup should I be using as a guide? I have lots of different size cups!" if I'm thinking about serving sizes), but as Mr_Brett mentioned it can cause minor hassle when trying to convert between uk-us methods on the fly.

Edited by darkmorgado at 00:20:33 31-12-2012

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Deleted user 31 December 2012 00:19:37
    The best thing about cups/teaspoons/tablespoons etc is that they're all equally divisible, so it's an absolute piece of piss to shrink or grow recipes depending on how many you're cooking for. Not that it's particularly hard with weights, but it's easier to just glance at the recipe and go "third of a cup, third of a cup, third of a teaspoon, third of a tablespoon" than it is to work out the equivalents of 250ml milk, 400g flour, 50mg butter etc etc.
  • spamdangled 31 Dec 2012 00:24:23 27,269 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I suppose it just takes some minor getting used to in terms of wider application.

Oddly, for cooking rice, I always struggled to get it right UNTIL I approached it by volume (water level should be one knuckle higher than the rice) instead of faffing with scales.

/cookery semi-derail over

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Stickman 31 Dec 2012 00:40:48 29,657 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    What is it with you people and measuring things by knuckles?!

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• Fozzie_bear 31 Dec 2012 00:43:01 15,486 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ryze wrote:
    Khanivor wrote:

If there is one Americanism I do hate - loathe is more accurate - it's the use of the word 'like' as the vocal equivalent of a loading screen. You may be thick but your sentence doesn't require the inclusion of six 'like's.
    A opposed to our 'erm' and 'you know', and 'basically'. I'll have to record myself having a conversation to make sure I don't do that shit, as there was this guy at one of my jobs once... BLIMEY!
    I'd like to think that we can all agree that anyone who starts a sentence with "basically" needs to be thrown off a cliff.

Support the Mowgli Dirty Protest!

• Fozzie_bear 31 Dec 2012 00:43:34 15,486 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    A cliff with metal spikes at the bottom. Rusty ones. Soaked in piss.

Support the Mowgli Dirty Protest!

• spamdangled 31 Dec 2012 01:11:36 27,269 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Stickman wrote:
    What is it with you people and measuring things by knuckles?!
    lol!

• skuzzbag 31 Dec 2012 09:21:01 5,636 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Basically, we're like, completely up our own arses in this country.

It's like, no wonder every other country sort of hates our guts.
  • lucky_jim 31 Dec 2012 10:31:55 5,257 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I said earlier in this thread that I thought most Americanisms are perfectly reasonable, but I've just thought of an exception: "Burglarized". What the hell's wrong with "burgled"? When you get a car repaired, is it mechanicized? When you buy something, are you sales-assistantized?
  • megastar 31 Dec 2012 10:33:06 17,133 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Darkie, did you just say (to paraphrase) you were "doing something on the fly"

Bit american that isn't it?
  • andytheadequate 31 Dec 2012 10:36:26 8,076 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    skuzzbag wrote:
    Basically, we're like, completely up our own arses in this country.

It's like, no wonder every other country sort of hates our guts.
    They're just jealous of the way we spell
  • Bremenacht 31 Dec 2012 10:54:23 17,613 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    megastar wrote:

Ohhhhhhhh.

Shame on you, DM - you're just like them I-mericains.
  • spamdangled 31 Dec 2012 11:02:52 27,269 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    lucky_jim wrote:
    What the hell's wrong with "burgled"?
    Is it wrong I was just reminded of Uncle Monty in Whitnail and I?

• spamdangled 31 Dec 2012 11:03:34 27,269 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    megastar wrote:

Sue me!

• jablonski 31 Dec 2012 11:44:19 3,202 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I've got no problems with Americans saying any of these 'Americanisms'.

It's when I hear middle-class English twats saying them.

Actually heard one say "Alright already" the other day.
    My face was a picture of disgust and betrayal.
  • Mr-Brett 31 Dec 2012 11:48:50 12,723 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Have you tried yoga? that might help.

Portable view - Never forget.

• spamdangled 31 Dec 2012 11:59:56 27,269 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    My biggest peeve in terms of hearing people talk is when they always end a sentence in a question just like this? I think everyone has come across it? A lot of people find it very annoying?

*shudder*

Not an Americanism though (except as an accent in a part of Florida I think, but might be wrong).

I seem to remember a QI episode that addressed it and blew the myth of its perceived Australian origins out the water.

I can't recall for the life of me what it's officially described as, I know the supposed popular name for it is wrong (at least according to the QI elves). I think Room 101 did a bit on it once too (before the shit relaunch version)

Edited by darkmorgado at 12:00:39 31-12-2012

• elstoof 31 Dec 2012 12:29:35 6,621 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    High rising terminal, sometimes known as Australian question intonation.

Has watching QI replaced skimming Wikipedia in the layman's search for knowledge now? Seems like you get an awful lot of your information from it.
  • elstoof 31 Dec 2012 12:33:55 6,621 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    My biggest peeve in terms of hearing people talk is when they always end a sentence in a question just like this? I think everyone has come across it? A lot of people find it very annoying?
    Just for extra pedant yuks and giggles, all those examples really fall short of explaining the phenomenon, as they're all questions and can validly end in a higher pitch. The annoyance comes from statements ending that way like "I went to the shops. I bought an apple.
  • spamdangled 31 Dec 2012 12:37:20 27,269 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah, I didn't pick the best way of putting it across there did I? :)

Remove the question marks and that's how I would have written it normally.

• Mola_Ram 31 Dec 2012 13:01:51 6,962 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Just for extra pedant yuks and giggles, all those examples really fall short of explaining the phenomenon, as they're all questions and can validly end in a higher pitch. The annoyance comes from statements ending that way like "I went to the shops. I bought an apple.
    I think you have australians to blame for that, not Americans.

Apologies. It puzzles me too.
  • Page

of 10 First / Last

Next