Registered 8 years ago
    And what has that to do with BttF?

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Maturin 28 Dec 2012 09:48:42 3,027 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    oceanmotion wrote:
    Americans wanting to be classified as anything but Americans. I'm Irish, Swedish and Spanish, fourth generation. Fuck off. You're American.
    I love 'Irish-Americans' who've never been to Ireland and think drinking Guinness all the time makes them special.
    And the cunts would often give money to the IRA as though it was a cheery bunch of Robin Hood and his Merry Men. Thanks a million for paying to blow the living shit out of my hometown (Manchester).

9/11 stopped that crap, thank fuck.

(I should add I'm English by birth but my family is from Limerick. However I don't dye my local river green on St Pat's day and dress up like a Leprechaun, like our colonial cousins might)

Edited by Maturin at 09:50:41 28-12-2012
  • andytheadequate 28 Dec 2012 09:54:15 8,213 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    http://www.bl.uk/learning/langlit/sounds/changing-voices/phonological-change/trap-bath-split/

Read it
    "Fashionable Londoners" from the 17th century are to be blamed!

"From the 1600s onwards, however, it became fashionable in and around London to lengthen the vowel sound in a small number of words"

I might start adding Rs to all my words to be fashionable, I wonder if it will catch on

Edited by andytheadequate at 09:57:36 28-12-2012
  • Deckard1 28 Dec 2012 09:56:45 28,240 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I actually had no idea people called it a barth.
  • spamdangled 28 Dec 2012 09:57:56 27,356 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    And what has that to do with BttF?
    The feeling of being in a time-warp was what I was shooting for with that one. Deja vu/sadmosaochistic levels of nostalgia/ etc.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• spamdangled 28 Dec 2012 09:59:36 27,356 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Maturin wrote:
    Syrette wrote:
    oceanmotion wrote:
    Americans wanting to be classified as anything but Americans. I'm Irish, Swedish and Spanish, fourth generation. Fuck off. You're American.
    I love 'Irish-Americans' who've never been to Ireland and think drinking Guinness all the time makes them special.
    And the cunts would often give money to the IRA as though it was a cheery bunch of Robin Hood and his Merry Men. Thanks a million for paying to blow the living shit out of my hometown (Manchester).

Oh I don't know, trouble seems to be stirring in that particular area again recently.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• sport 28 Dec 2012 10:02:54 12,758 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    That's what I call it \o/ But I'm a fokin prawn anyway...
  • Maturin 28 Dec 2012 10:07:23 3,027 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Oh I don't know, trouble seems to be stirring in that particular area again recently.

I know :(
  • ibenam 28 Dec 2012 10:14:09 1,436 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I like all americans and im not just blowing smoke up your ass -_-
  • Elathron 28 Dec 2012 14:23:04 1,189 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    ibenam wrote:
    I like all americans and im not just blowing smoke up your ass -_-
    You wouldn't wanna blow smoke up any of our asses this close to the other side of Xmas... Semi-spontaneous combustion might ensue.

I think my main hated Americansim would be that they call their language "English" and yet they cannot even spell things the way that has been set down by thousands of dictionaries. Sheesh, it annoys me even more when distributors/publishers pass on junk destined for the US to the UK with the US version of the spellings attached('Armored' Core being an example). I appreciate the diversity of language, but when the 2 are meant to be the same... Grrr.

If God said “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you,” to Mary - does that mean he loves bukkake?

• onestepfromlost 28 Dec 2012 14:39:45 2,076 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Totally this has utterly baffled, or should that be barffled
  • JoeBlade 28 Dec 2012 16:47:22 2,558 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    http://www.bl.uk/learning/langlit/sounds/changing-voices/phonological-change/trap-bath-split/
    So this thread was started by 17th century Londoner ponces? Interesting.
  • Deleted user 28 December 2012 16:51:32
    Elathron wrote:
    but when the 2 are meant to be the same... Grrr.
    They're not. Hence why they're distinguished specifically as British-English and American-English.
  • SpaceDave3000 28 Dec 2012 16:58:39 78,254 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I don't really get this thread, nitpicking people from a place that has been culturally separate from us for hundreds of years just sort of screams jealousy.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• oceanmotion 28 Dec 2012 17:08:11 15,968 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Can we do Britishisms that should die in a fire.

Edited by oceanmotion at 17:08:28 28-12-2012
  • Syrette 28 Dec 2012 17:09:34 43,587 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Or Eurogamerisms that should die in a fire.

• spamdangled 28 Dec 2012 17:09:39 27,356 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    oceanmotion wrote:
    Can we do Britishisms that should die in a fire.
    I'm not averse to that in the slightest.

• Deleted user 28 December 2012 17:12:03
    Syrette wrote:
    Or Eurogamerisms that should die in a fire.
    Or Eurogamers that should die in a fire.
  • elstoof 28 Dec 2012 17:16:14 7,496 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    All it needs is a creepy scot teacher who is eventually revealed via a scandal to be a practicing polygamist who has a deep-seated and uncompromising hatred of bed linen and I will officially feel like Marty McFly.
    Polygamy in Jersey: impressive.
  • funkstar 28 Dec 2012 19:31:09 1,194 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    darkmorgado:

how the fuck did i not know about this?

The Lives of Nobody Important Paperback

• Trowel 28 Dec 2012 19:51:20 17,795 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I love the different words Americans use for things, but "frosting" is the icing on the cake.
  • neilka 28 Dec 2012 20:19:41 16,089 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago

Lastly, I am gay, disabled, and a liberal.

• spamdangled 28 Dec 2012 20:28:43 27,356 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    funkstar wrote:
    darkmorgado:

how the fuck did i not know about this?
    Not know about what?

• dufftownallan 30 Dec 2012 10:32:23 4,725 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    "i'll write you" as opposed to "i'll write TO you".

I also think they're much more likely to refer to our islands as "england" rather than call us brits, as in "england did well at the olympics this year" or "I liked that song england entered in eurovision this year".
  • Deleted user 30 December 2012 10:39:16
    Have went instead of have gone.
    I could care less instead of I couldn't care less.
    I figured instead of I thought.
    My bad.

Edited by Cosmopolitan at 10:40:15 30-12-2012
  • the_dudefather 30 Dec 2012 10:54:41 9,290 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    dufftownallan wrote:
    I also think they're much more likely to refer to our islands as "england" rather than call us brits, as in "england did well at the olympics this year" or "I liked that song england entered in eurovision this year".
    Wonder how many people in this tread do a similar thing with 'America' (which could refer to North America, South America or Central America)?

I admit, it's pedantic

Edited by the_dudefather at 10:58:25 30-12-2012

(ง ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)

• monkman76 30 Dec 2012 10:55:40 4,381 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Anyways / a long ways etc. How can it be a ways?

Don't mind Americans using these btw but Brits saying them should be kicked in the shins.
  • lucky_jim 30 Dec 2012 11:03:24 5,306 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @the_dudefather

The difference there, of course, is that Americans do that themselves. What else could we call them? Even the "United States" bit of their country's name is shared with Brazil. A closer equivalent is probably the tendency to refer to the Netherlands by the name of its biggest constituent part, Holland.
  • dufftownallan 30 Dec 2012 11:32:17 4,725 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I agree with jim, there's no nice neat demonym for the yanks*, you couldn't say usa-ians. thankfully in this situation it's pretty clear that canada and mexico are their own distinct nations within the continent of north america, and rightly or wrongly the rest of the americas are distinguished with south and central. the waters are much muddier when accounting for the uk and - as jim points out - the Netherlands.

*of course, yank refers to a specific area of 'america' itself.
  • Ryze 30 Dec 2012 12:15:29 3,125 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Maturin wrote:
    Syrette wrote:
    oceanmotion wrote:

(I should add I'm English by birth but my family is from Limerick. However I don't dye my local river green on St Pat's day and dress up like a Leprechaun, like our colonial cousins might)
    I totally agree with you on the utter idiocy of funding the IRA.

As far as bombing Manchester's concerned - nobody died, and that part of Manchester has been rebuilt and is pretty amazing.

The many of the un-bombed bits are still a mess. It was unfortunately the facelift that the city needed. I remember talking to my cousin about how much of a dreary mess Manchester City centre was looking back in the day.

Not to take away from the misery of the people caught up in the carnage. My aunty and cousins were blown off of their feet while stood in Piccadilly's Superdrug back in '96. I heard it, but I was in Chorlton at the time, and completely oblivious until that evening in the pre-mobile phone days.

Yank-isms to kill?

- a 'den' is something you build under the stairs, in your bunkbed's bottom bunk, or out in your neighbourhood as a kid.

- It's the Caribbean - not the Cu-ribb-ean.

- Learn how the word 'release' is supposed to be used. They do it 'wrong'.

- GUNS. Sort it out, America.

- Rated M for mature? Fuckheads. Fix your ratings and laws, so it's ADULTs only, NOT '17 year olds can buy it for kids', with no law to back it up. Same with that NC-17 and R bollocks with your films.

I could go on and on, but they stand out more as people use them.
  • Page

of 10 First / Last