general isms that deserve to die by fire Page 5

• Page

of 10 First / Last

• oceanmotion 27 Dec 2012 12:17:20 16,008 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Americans wanting to be classified as anything but Americans. I'm Irish, Swedish and Spanish, fourth generation. Fuck off. You're American.

Edited by oceanmotion at 12:17:44 27-12-2012
  • andytheadequate 27 Dec 2012 12:17:31 8,268 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Stickman - in 1941 Germany wasn't really interested in Africa, it was mainly Italy making a mess of it.

Are you sure the facts about the u-boats are correct for 1941? I think the height of the U-boat was in the middle of 1942 so it seems fairly unlikely that the U-boat power was dwindling. I thought their power only started to decline with the use of radar, convoys, air support and cracking the enigma code later on?

The baltic convoys were important, but a lot of the supplies came from America. Without America they would have been nowhere near as effective. German fleet power was almost inconsequential to the Soviets too, it was mainly aimed against Britain.

I wasn't arguing Britain played no part in the war, as that's obviously nonsense, but without the Soviets and America we would have struggled to survive, nevermind win the war.

Edited by andytheadequate at 12:20:35 27-12-2012
  • darkmorgado 27 Dec 2012 12:18:14 15,566 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Stickman knows fuck all about U boats. I've always said that.

Support the Mowgli Dirty Protest!

• andytheadequate 27 Dec 2012 12:19:19 8,268 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    oceanmotion wrote:
    Americans wanting to be classified as anything but Americans. I'm Irish, Swedish and Spanish, fourth generation. Fuck off. You're American.
    And no Brits do that? How about all the Chinese, Irish, Indians et al who were born in Britain but still identify themselves with the nationality of their parents/ grand parents?

It's not an Americanism, just a natural human tendency
  • kalel 27 Dec 2012 12:19:54 88,454 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Fozzie_bear wrote:
    Yeah, he can go all day on the Luftwaffe but his German Naval knowledge is laughable.
  • darkmorgado 27 Dec 2012 12:20:31 15,566 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Indeed. DM himself, whilst British, is proud of his roots in the far distant land of Asperg.

• oceanmotion 27 Dec 2012 12:21:43 16,008 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've heard Americans think they won WW1 as well. No idea if that is true.

As for WWII, you could imagine Britain being rather hard to invade if Germany got a foothold there but like the rest of the war, they would be fucked eventually by supplies and stretching of forces but it might not have even got to that, I think America would have left Germany to it if they got Britain.
  • darkmorgado 27 Dec 2012 12:23:43 15,566 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Fozzie_bear wrote:
    Yeah, he can go all day on the Luftwaffe but his German Naval knowledge is laughable.
    Have you heard him going on about the Bismarck? It's embarrassing.

• Deckard1 27 Dec 2012 12:25:15 28,755 posts
    Seen 27 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Remember the time he got the ballast tank and the conning tower mixed up. What an afternoon that was.

Edited by Deckard1 at 12:25:33 27-12-2012
  • Stickman 27 Dec 2012 12:26:37 29,666 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I got kicked off the Navy course for misunderstanding poop deck. :(

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• andytheadequate 27 Dec 2012 12:26:57 8,268 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    oceanmotion wrote:
    I've heard Americans think they won WW1 as well. No idea if that is true.

As for WWII, you could imagine Britain being rather hard to invade if Germany got a foothold there but like the rest of the war, they would be fucked eventually by supplies and stretching of forces but it might not have even got to that, I think America would have left Germany to it if they got Britain.
    You're probably right, as America never declared war on Germany, even after the Japanese attacked, Germany declared war on America. A lot of the military wanted to ignore Germany until Japan had been defeated, especially the navy. Without Britain and the Soviets pestering them to invade Europe they would have probably been less inclined to get involves in Europe.

I'm not really sure what Americans think about WW1. Militarily they played a tiny role, but strategically and more importantly psychologically, they were very important.
  • chopsen 27 Dec 2012 12:28:55 16,126 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    andytheadequate wrote:
    oceanmotion wrote:
    And no Brits do that? How about all the Chinese, Irish, Indians et al who were born in Britain but still identify themselves with the nationality of their parents/ grand parents?

Re the Irish thing: maybe, just maybe, you can justify it if you were born here and your parents were Irish. Really the cultures are so similar it's a bit daft though. People who are naturalised 3rd/4th/beyond generation Irish, that's daft. Unless they've been attending special Irish School as a child and grew up in an exclusively Irish community and fluent in Gaelic, it's hubris. The culture they grew up in influences who they area more than what their great-grandfather was.
  • andytheadequate 27 Dec 2012 12:32:58 8,268 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Chopsen wrote:
    andytheadequate wrote:
    oceanmotion wrote:

Re the Irish thing: maybe, just maybe, you can justify it if you were born here and your parents were Irish. Really the cultures are so similar it's a bit daft though. People who are naturalised 3rd/4th/beyond generation Irish, that's daft. Unless they've been attending special Irish School as a child and grew up in an exclusively Irish community and fluent in Gaelic, it's hubris. The culture they grew up in influences who they area more than what their great-grandfather was.
    Is that the same for nationalities who's culture are less similar, for example Chinese? I do agree with you that it's a bit daft, I was just pointing out that it isn't just an Americanism.

It is funny when you hear a loud American declare they are Irish and visited Ireland for the first time last year...

Edited by andytheadequate at 12:33:39 27-12-2012
  • skuzzbag 27 Dec 2012 12:34:57 5,651 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    "Plastic Paddies" is what I've heard Irish people calling non-Irish people who say they are Irish based purely on some distant relative.
  • oceanmotion 27 Dec 2012 12:39:13 16,008 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    andytheadequate wrote:
    oceanmotion wrote:

Don't think there is anything wrong with being interested in past family nationality but labelling yourself as quarter this and that over your real nationality, generations past is just bizarre.
  • kalel 27 Dec 2012 12:41:01 88,454 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    When they call themselves Irish they really only do it as shorthand for how they are culturally different from other Americans. It's an identity thing no different from thinking of yourself as an emo or whatever.
  • chopsen 27 Dec 2012 12:43:06 16,126 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dunno, I'm kind of making this up as I go along. I guess ultimately any culture of people can self select their own identity. I think it's more valid to call yourself a distinct group if your carry with you facets of your culture which make you different: language, customs, values etc. I've know British born Chinese, Indian etc who do that, and, for example, still maintain contacts with family abroad.

What does it mean to call yourself "Irish" as a subset of either British or American culture, though, if you're anything other than second generation? What sets you apart?
  • chopsen 27 Dec 2012 12:44:17 16,126 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    skuzzbag wrote:
    "Plastic Paddies" is what I've heard Irish people calling non-Irish people who say they are Irish based purely on some distant relative.
    Other cultures get that as well though. Hell, even living abroad for a little bit and going back to where you're "from" can be a bit of a shock.
  • jonsaan 27 Dec 2012 12:45:35 25,360 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My mum is half Welsh. Am I Welsh?!

FCUTA!

• Salaman 27 Dec 2012 12:50:16 19,298 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Funny how 'adding "ism" to any word to produce its derivative' didn't make the list. Pretty much a definitive Americanism.
    ^^pedantism
  • jonsaan 27 Dec 2012 12:51:21 25,360 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    FHUTAism

FCUTA!

• jonsaan 27 Dec 2012 12:52:08 25,360 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Jismism

FCUTA!

• Deckard1 27 Dec 2012 12:52:11 28,755 posts
    Seen 27 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    jonsaan wrote:
    My mum is half Welsh. Am I Welsh?!
    Dunno you understand any of this?

Jonsaan mae pidyn bach iawn
  • jonsaan 27 Dec 2012 12:53:05 25,360 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Deckard1 something about Enemy Mine?

FCUTA!

• elstoof 27 Dec 2012 12:58:03 7,760 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My mum was Welsh, my dad is Scottish and his mum was Irish. Does that make me American?
  • FogHeart 27 Dec 2012 13:19:02 954 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    While I can appreciate that pronunciations and terminology will vary in English-speaking countries, I really find it difficult to come to terms with their use of the phrase "Can I get", which is usually spoken when asking for custom.

"Can I get a muffin with that latte?"
    Should be answered with "Certainly, just hop over the counter and get it."

May I have, may I have, may I have!!!
  • Deckard1 27 Dec 2012 13:31:46 28,755 posts
    Seen 27 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Who the fuck says may I have though.
  • kalel 27 Dec 2012 13:33:54 88,454 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The "get" thing is pretty standard now. It's the lack of a "please" that really makes it obnoxious, but that's not strictly an American thing.
  • kickerconspiracy 27 Dec 2012 13:34:56 494 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mai gen i Mine Gelyn mawr yn fy poohole?
  • onestepfromlost 27 Dec 2012 13:55:59 2,083 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    some of these get on my nerves but i can deal with it as cultural differernces. except for 20, that makes blood boil every time i hear it, anyone who uses it clearly doesnt understand the concept of what they are trying to say.
  • Page

of 10 First / Last