Unpopular gaming opinions Page 28

• Page

of 132 First / Last

• PazJohnMitch 29 Dec 2012 12:42:18 8,071 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The only thing Uncharted does better than other games is the characters. And even then Alyx and Portal 2 offer very good alternatives.

For everything else you can find something that is superior. Gears and Batman AC for instance. However the scope of Uncharted is far greater than many games. Therefore I do not mind that the cover shooter mechanics are worse than Gears, the aiming worse than Halo or the hand to hand is worse than Batman.

Nothing is best in class but they are all competent and work together very well.
  • UncleLou Moderator 29 Dec 2012 13:08:53 35,572 posts
    Seen 37 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    dsmx wrote:
    I'm loving how people now say how good the combat is in arkham asylum because I do recall a lot of people bitching about it being so simple with mainly 3 buttons doing all the combat moves.
    Yeah, never understood why people like it. Always felt more like QTEs to me than like I am actually controlling a character. It looks nice, but that's about it.
  • Mr_Sleep 29 Dec 2012 13:09:51 17,076 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    dsmx wrote:
    I'm loving how people now say how good the combat is in arkham asylum because I do recall a lot of people bitching about it being so simple with mainly 3 buttons doing all the combat moves.
    That's probably complaints from people playing on medium with all the alerts on. If one plays on hard it really brings the combat to life.

You are a factory of sadness.

• King_Edward 29 Dec 2012 15:02:04 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I don't remember Batman being any more expansive than Uncharted 2. How you think Batman reusing environments makes it more of an achievement is beyond me.

I think AA is brilliantly designed by the way, but that's not what we're talking about.
  • Widge Moderator 29 Dec 2012 15:15:32 13,606 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Batman had that nice Metroid style opening up of a contained environment. See things teasing you to reveal later. Zelda was good for that too.

Uncharted was more of an ongoing spectacle, a discovery, a constant epic journey.

Both techniques work really well.

I'd also always choose Uncharted over gears thanks to setting, story and character.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• CharlieStCloud 29 Dec 2012 17:22:57 5,202 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Widge wrote:
    I'd also always choose Uncharted over Gears of War, thanks to the story, setting and character.
    I'd struggle to understand why anyone would prefer Gears of War over the wonderful Uncharted series.

I hate NOT completing games; after buying the third Gears of War purely on a whim when there was nothing out (at the time) that interested me, I struggled so badly to finish it.

All I kept thinking was it's an exercise in tedium with woeful characters, a poor script and an embarrassing story ... maybe they would make a bit more sense if I had played the first two however, I very much doubt it would raise my opinion towards the game any further.

It is very 'America, FUCK YEAH!' too ... *tuts*

Edited by CharlieStCloud at 17:25:02 29-12-2012
  • Paulie_P 29 Dec 2012 19:47:28 415 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @CharlieStCloud totally agree, finished the first one, began the second but give up after a few levels in. It just didn't appeal to me.
  • -cerberus- 29 Dec 2012 19:54:20 2,877 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Not sure if this is an unpopular opinion but I think Mafia II is a terrible and shallow game. A perfect example of why pretty graphics don't make a good game.

Edited by -cerberus- at 19:54:35 29-12-2012

Take the plastic bag challenge to cure stupidity.

• Mr-Brett 29 Dec 2012 20:29:42 12,799 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I thought Gears 3 was rather good, pretty similar to the previous ones but an improvement.

Uncharted 3 on the other hand is worse in every respect than the previous games apart from in being 3D, it's much better at being in 3D. The story wasn't as good, the visuals aren't as good, the combat (but mainly the aiming) is slightly worse plus there's more of it and they put in even more annoying bullet sponges.

I don't know why they're being compared though, they're two very different games. Still if we are comparing then Uncharted 1 & 2 are better than Gears 1 & 2.

Level 37 Social Justice Warrior

• Deleted user 29 December 2012 20:38:34
    I loved gears of war 3. Yeah the characters are over the top and don't make you care for them but my god the action is amazing. Easily the best third person shooter for just the shooting mechanics/gameplay.
  • King_Edward 29 Dec 2012 20:40:58 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Pepsipop wrote:
    I loved gears of war 3. Yeah the characters are over the top and don't make you care for them but my god the action is amazing. Easily the best third person shooter for just the shooting mechanics/gameplay.
    That's Vanquish.
  • nickthegun 29 Dec 2012 20:46:56 59,957 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Vanquish is a good game but its massively overrated.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• Deleted user 29 December 2012 20:47:28
    nickthegun wrote:
    Vanquish is a good game but its massively overrated.
    This.
  • King_Edward 29 Dec 2012 20:51:13 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Even so, (you're wrong, but even if you weren't :)) the mechanics were the same as Gears with added slo-mo, and rocket knee sliding. So mechanically, it's objectively better than Gears. :p
  • Deleted user 29 December 2012 21:03:21
    Vanquish was fucking awesome and don't see anyone ever talking about it so don't see how it can be considered overrated! Especially not in a discussion involving Gears.
  • nickthegun 29 Dec 2012 21:05:35 59,957 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, thats absolutely true. Like ninja gaiden 2, though, a terrible story, poor characters and boring level design were laid on those foundations.

Brilliant game to play, just a shame its through a turgid grey techno city with the same four robots.

• nickthegun 29 Dec 2012 21:06:39 59,957 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    Vanquish was fucking awesome and don't see anyone ever talking about it so don't see how it can be considered overrated! Especially not in a discussion involving Gears.
    Every time its mentioned it gets a 'best game ever' tag. Literally every time it comes up.

• Syrette 29 Dec 2012 21:07:43 43,523 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Things don't have to be talked about constantly to be over/underrated. At the time, it was rated highly. Which I personally agree with.

On the other hand whilst brilliant I do think Bayonetta is overrated a little, but to each their own.

• Deleted user 29 December 2012 21:11:16
    nickthegun wrote:
    mowgli wrote:
    Every time its mentioned it gets a 'best game ever' tag. Literally every time it comes up.
    Ah fair enough, must have missed that.

Agree with Bayonetta being overrated though. Especially as all you had to do was spam the dodge button for all fights when in a pickle.
  • King_Edward 29 Dec 2012 21:12:06 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Yeah, thats absolutely true. Like ninja gaiden 2, though, a terrible story, poor characters and boring level design were laid on those foundations.

Brilliant game to play, just a shame its through a turgid grey techno city with the same four robots.
    Yeah, that's true. I'm a proper Mikami suck up, and I couldn't excuse the story, characters or art work.
  • King_Edward 29 Dec 2012 21:14:03 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    mowgli wrote:

Agree with Bayonetta being overrated though. Especially as all you had to do was spam the dodge button for all fights when in a pickle.
    You could only dodge 5 times before you ran out of breath.
  • Deleted user 29 December 2012 21:19:40
    King_Edward wrote:
    mowgli wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    mowgli wrote:

You could only dodge 5 times before you ran out of breath.
    Don't remember ever encountering that. Do remember the game being very easy because of the easy dodge.
  • King_Edward 29 Dec 2012 21:23:29 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    What difficulty did you play on? Maybe it was only on Normal and up.
  • Deleted user 29 December 2012 21:30:37
    Normal (never go below and rarely go above!)
  • joeymoto108 29 Dec 2012 21:49:33 647 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Witcher 2's godawful controls are so bad that the game is unplayable.

Edited by joeymoto108 at 21:49:51 29-12-2012

'Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?'

• spamdangled 29 Dec 2012 22:04:51 27,355 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    mowgli wrote:
    Yeah I never understand why it's so highly regarded myself either, but then I have a tendency to not get on with those sorts of games a lot more than I do.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Deleted user 29 December 2012 22:28:30
    I will have no disrespect of bayonetta on here!! And yes you couldn't spam dodge on normal or hard.

Witcher 2 controls, while not silky, were not terrible.
  • RobTheBuilder 29 Dec 2012 22:41:20 6,521 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bayonetta was the first game of its type to ever get across the joy of hack slash type games as more than just brown button bashers to me. I can understand how it's not everybody's thing but to me it's a clear 10/10 game.

Never played vanquish sadly.

Pn03 is also a great game. Flawed but full of potential. A bigger more colourful reinagining of that game would be fantastic
  • Luke_Martin_VA 29 Dec 2012 23:00:44 160 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Skylanders is shit hot

http://voxelarcade.com/reviews/skylanders-giants-review/

w w w . v o x e l a r c a d e . c o m

• Page

of 132 First / Last