Unpopular gaming opinions Page 27

• Page

of 130 First / Last

• SYS64738 28 Dec 2012 16:22:33 1,575 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    DarkSpaceDS wrote:
    @darkmorgado I was honestly going to say that if Uncharted didn't have the great graphics and wasn't exclusive then no one would give a toss as the gameplay is as average as it gets but you got there before me.

I only own a PS3 btw.
    It's one of those games you either like or you find boring, depending on whether you can enjoy linear cover shooter games. I found it great primarily for its production values - by that I mean the great (for a game) voice acting, art style and set pieces. Like watching an Indy movie. My mate found it awfully boring and gave me his copy in the end.

I personally don't care though whether it's a technical masterpiece or not - it just looks good and that's all it matters in terms of graphics. I bought a new PC when Crysis came out, and while it was technically pretty (but did run below par on my hardware), I would actually prefer UC2's graphics purely for variety and locations, rather than how many sprites it can show simultaneously (jk).
  • Deleted user 28 December 2012 16:36:07
    Curiosity isn't a complete waste of time.
  • Armoured_Bear 28 Dec 2012 16:38:01 10,240 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Uncharted 2 looked astonishing at the time, claims to the contrary and the ramblings of mad people.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• King_Edward 28 Dec 2012 16:40:09 11,454 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    DarkSpaceDS wrote:
    King_Edward wrote:
    @DarkSideDS

Direct comparisons are rarely fair, but I'm pretty comfortable saying you're wrong.
    lol if your gonna say I'm wrong then at least have the evidence to prove me wrong. I played both Uncharted 2 and Batman Arkhum Asylum on release and was alot more impressed graphically with Batman than Uncharted.
    Well you're obviously welcome to think Batman looks better than Uncharted 2, that's just opinion. I'm just fairly sure U2 is a more technically impressive game. Batman wasn't nearly as well animated, rarely had more than a couple of characters on screen, was mostly grey, and let you leap around a moving train like ninja.
  • spamdangled 28 Dec 2012 16:40:22 27,269 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Fantomex wrote:
    Curiosity isn't a complete waste of time.
    I concur.

I think of it as a giant etch a sketch to doodle on.

Ok I suppose that is a waste of time, but it's not an unpleasant waste of time and you do need to set your own goals rather than expecting the app to give you one (though I'm sure I heard Molyneux is toying with some sort of 1-layer minigame along those lines).

It also actually fucking works properly now and is stable, which is a minor miracle in Molyneux stuff.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• thedaveeyres 28 Dec 2012 16:43:10 10,684 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It looked quite good. Unfortunately the combat was so irredeemably awful, to describe it as excrement would be to give shit a bad name. The 'puzzles' and 'climbing sections' were about as challenging as crossing the road, and the 'exploration' involved going exactly where the game wanted you to every time - Dragon's Lair was less linear.

D****** ******r

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• SYS64738 28 Dec 2012 16:53:00 1,575 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @darkmorgado

Is it just me though or is it awfully laggy most of the time? I figured out a while ago that using several fingers at once is pretty effective clearing a screen but the lag ruined it most of the time to rack up decent scores (using a first gen Galaxy Tab 10.1).
  • spamdangled 28 Dec 2012 16:54:34 27,269 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @SYS64738 That was fixed yonks ago.

Hell, you can even actually see other people tapping away now in real time like was originally promised.

At least on iPad 2, no idea about the Android situation.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• SYS64738 28 Dec 2012 16:57:27 1,575 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @darkmorgado

Hmm haven't been on it for a few weeks, might check it out. It's quite compulsive like squeezing bubble wrap... Just wonder how long they can keep providing new layers before people get bored (which happened to me... well a few weeks ago). Possibly all part of the 'experiment'!
  • SolidSCB 29 Dec 2012 02:10:50 6,386 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Drift events in racers can die in the fire from whence it came. This wanky 'race' type shows up in almost every racer nowadays and it's still as pathetically pointless and completely turd now as whenever some dicks decided it'd be a good idea to drop it in their game in the first place. Go away please.
  • spamdangled 29 Dec 2012 02:21:23 27,269 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I think it ultimately can be blamed on Outrun if you work backwards. I don't mind it as long as drifting is done in a way that is

a) easy to activate (best method should always be release accelerator and tap the brake with the left stick pushed in a direction) and

b) manageable in terms of retaining some semblance of vehicle control.

Drifting in PS1 ridge racer/ revolution observed the first rule but arguably just about broke the second. They tightened it up in subsequent entries and this could just be memories based on childhood and the first one being my first exposure to the whole concept though.

Burnout/any criterion racer usually gets it just right. Revenge certainly did and is my personal benchmark. Forza Horizon gets it so right it feels like it was made by Criterion in the first place, which is probably deliberate.

I personally hate how Nintendo implement it in Mario Kart, which is in turn how Sega do it in Sonic Racing (IIRC). I can do it, but I don't appreciate it as it doesn't feel natural hopping to trigger a drift. Flatout: UC requires hitting the handbrake to get a good drift, which again feels unnatural.

Release right trigger, tap left trigger. That should be a commandment of arcade racers doing drift.

Edited by darkmorgado at 02:23:23 29-12-2012

• Deleted user 29 December 2012 02:28:25
    Forced repetition of finding a number of items in a dungeon just to pad out the length of the game.

'Well, we could activate it now but we just need three items from this dungeon first.'

'Oh, you want to face the Champion? Well, rather than just calling him forth you have to go and find three crystals in this dungeon here. He is just behind that door but this will be fun. '

It can fuck right off.
  • spamdangled 29 Dec 2012 02:32:42 27,269 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I love Darksiders 2, but it did this so much it became rather irritating by the end of it.

• Deleted user 29 December 2012 02:38:07
    @darkmorgado Yeah, I have to go and get the Dead Lords now... Quelle Surprise! There's three of the fuckers :(

Having said that, the optional bosses are ace.
  • spamdangled 29 Dec 2012 02:40:55 27,269 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I think a golden rule should be: "McGuffins are fine if used sparingly, but don't abuse them endlessly to provide lazy excuses to justify backtracking or going to a new place"

It's a lazy, tired and overly abused narrative trope particularly abused by the Fantasy genre where I think it really took off big time (gather bits and pieces to unite an item and gain the power to defeat the dark lord" shit) rather than a specific gameplay flaw (except for when it forces excessive backtracking to provide filler), but yeah the fact is so utterly lazy is one of things that annoys me about game narratives, especially in RPGs.

Edited by darkmorgado at 02:48:09 29-12-2012

• Deleted user 29 December 2012 02:50:28
    Lazy design isn't really forgiveable, especially citing the two examples I provided above where the third piece was simply obtained with much less effort than the previous two pieces.

That just smacks off 'we ran out of ideas'.

Also, 'normal' mobs in MMOs having shitty drop rates for quest items, especially when it's a part of their anatomy: 'Hmm, this the the fifty-seventh bear I've killed witg no spleen. Who's doing all these ursine spleenectomies?'

Edited by HurbleBurble at 02:51:31 29-12-2012
  • spamdangled 29 Dec 2012 03:44:15 27,269 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    HurbleBurble wrote:
    Also, 'normal' mobs in MMOs having shitty drop rates for quest items, especially when it's a part of their anatomy: 'Hmm, this the the fifty-seventh bear I've killed witg no spleen. Who's doing all these ursine spleenectomies?'
    Oh god, this.

WoW was guilty of this for so many years, especially in vanilla to a degree where it ultimately put me off the game before I was ready to raid. Thankfully it's something that they've fixed since then, though almost certaintly at the expense of going too far the other way and then relying too much on grinding mobs for dailies as lazy filler content.

None of these are unpopular opinions though, to be fair :D

Edited by darkmorgado at 03:44:59 29-12-2012

• Paulie_P 29 Dec 2012 10:13:15 410 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    HurbleBurble wrote:
    Forced repetition of finding a number of items in a dungeon just to pad out the length of the game.

'Well, we could activate it now but we just need three items from this dungeon first.'

'Oh, you want to face the Champion? Well, rather than just calling him forth you have to go and find three crystals in this dungeon here. He is just behind that door but this will be fun. '

It can fuck right off.
    I abandoned Skyward Sword because of this, it got to ridiculous levels in that game. First Zelda game I haven't completed since Zelda II
  • speedofthepuma 29 Dec 2012 10:16:42 13,266 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think games are too long, off-putting and complex. i want them to be dumbed down so I can dip in and out more. But not as dumb as iPhone versions.

There, now that's what you call an unpopular gaming opinion, at least round these parts.

I've turned off all the avatars and crap, so don't expect me to be impressed by yours.

• jellyhead 29 Dec 2012 10:42:24 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Fantomex Curiosity is still going? I haven't heard anything for weeks so i figured it had finished.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• kinky_mong 29 Dec 2012 10:59:27 9,941 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    You're such a fucking spastic DM. Really. Can you not create another group and go and hide in it for another 6 month instead of posting you're undiluted spastic in every single thread on the forum.
    This post has no place in an unpopular opinions thread.

I'll never get my Orc looking the same again.

• spamdangled 29 Dec 2012 11:01:49 27,269 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    jellyhead wrote:
    @Fantomex Curiosity is still going? I haven't heard anything for weeks so i figured it had finished.
    It's still going and seems to have levelled off at around 5,000 concurrent players on an average day depending on time zones.

• Deleted user 29 December 2012 11:08:08
    speedofthepuma wrote:
    I think games are too long, off-putting and complex. i want them to be dumbed down so I can dip in and out more. But not as dumb as iPhone versions.

There, now that's what you call an unpopular gaming opinion, at least round these parts.
    I agree. I actually am playing the Android version of NFS MostWanted on my Xperia Play as I completed single player of the Vita version, got a few achievements and beaten a few friends times but could not be bothered to continue - there was still too much stuff to do. There simply is no time for that, whereas the Android version is much less complex and perfectly dumbed down for short bursts. Of course the Vita version is the better game at the end of the day, but who cares. Time is what counts.
  • Mr-Brett 29 Dec 2012 11:28:46 12,723 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Games are fun.

Portable view - Never forget.

• Deleted user 29 December 2012 11:41:26
    Gamers aren't a bunch of miserable apologists and fanboys who'll happily fork out money to lap up the same shit time and again.
  • Widge Moderator 29 Dec 2012 11:51:31 13,245 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    DarkSpaceDS wrote:
    King_Edward wrote:
    @DarkSideDS

Direct comparisons are rarely fair, but I'm pretty comfortable saying you're wrong.
    lol if your gonna say I'm wrong then at least have the evidence to prove me wrong. I played both Uncharted 2 and Batman Arkhum Asylum on release and was alot more impressed graphically with Batman than Uncharted.

Also the combat in Uncharted is a joke. Its like they ripped it out from a PS2 game whereas Batman Arkhum Asylum's combat is probably THE best combat I've played in a game.
    I think the combat is not comparable - melee vs projectile.

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• jonsaan 29 Dec 2012 11:57:30 25,326 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I fucking hate Tutorials. I mean, who actually enjoys them?

Assassins Creed 3 is a joke in this respect. A fantastic game almost ruined because of the 'story' based tutorial that takes up the first fucking five chapters of the game!?

The mechancis are nigh on identical to the other fucking AC games I have already played!!!

FCUTA!

• -cerberus- 29 Dec 2012 12:10:14 2,402 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    jonsaan wrote:
    I fucking hate Tutorials. I mean, who actually enjoys them?
    Seconded. But I must say that Conker's Bad Fur Day tutorial was pretty funny :p

"You see it too? For me, it's always like this..."
    (Angela Orosco - Silent Hill 2)

• dsmx 29 Dec 2012 12:28:30 7,548 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm loving how people now say how good the combat is in arkham asylum because I do recall a lot of people bitching about it being so simple with mainly 3 buttons doing all the combat moves.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• Page

of 130 First / Last