Unpopular gaming opinions Page 130

• Page

of 132 First / Last

• skuzzbag 17 May 2014 19:50:56 5,638 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    bobdebob wrote:
    I really dislike (most) indie which use 'retro' graphics and 'retro' music, giving them an excuse not to design better graphics and music.

Most recent one I can think of is Mercenary Kings which used ugly 16-bit graphics and 8-bit music (with drums). It didn't even have the blur that old CRT TVs had to soften the graphics.
    It's a cost thing, you try designing some graphics when your talent is in coding games and you'll know what I mean!
  • bobdebob 17 May 2014 20:34:47 587 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    superdelphinus wrote:
    I preferred it when games weren't attempting, or pretending to be 'art'. They were fun days :( I also hate the thought piece type articles you get in game journalism/ culture now
    Those articles annoy me too, constantly inflating gaming's importance and at the same belittling classic games as primitive or deriding other 'mindless' games since they are 'artless'.
  • Widge Moderator 18 May 2014 03:46:45 13,544 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Depends, pure gaming experiences can be artistry: the Souls series for example. A lot of the retro so called art games are taking classic templates and perfecting/spinning them. Even older games often showed a degree of artistry.

What I'm more than happy to have called on is derivative retreading of the old ground. There was a patch from PS2 to PS3 where the drive for realism seemed to foster template gaming, this has pretty much been peeled away now.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• modula 18 May 2014 04:12:38 251 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago

I just though the planetoid thing in one was not innovate, unless you call an excuse not to have to render a decent size level innovative.

It felt more like a limitation than an actual deliberate thing to me and if they had decent hardware they would have done something ambitious like Mario64 size levels.
    Each to their own! But that's why I didn't get on with galaxy 2; it had the mario 64-ish levels which just felt like a step backwards - same engine and hardware etc so I can't say it ever struck me that the planetoid stuff was a technical compromise....
  • -cerberus- 18 May 2014 21:14:22 2,825 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Unpopular opinion! Cardinal Syn (ps1) is one of the best fighting games ever made. :cool:

Take the plastic bag challenge to cure stupidity.

• bobdebob 19 May 2014 13:02:56 587 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Widge
    See, I don't think games are art but the way classics are disparaged by gaming 'journalists' and 'community', on their way to proclaim videogames as the greatest artistic medium has always annoyed me.

And like you said a large number of art games are reskinned with smoother controls and possibly a (slightly) new mechanic.

Zomoniac wrote:
    But Nintendo's pattern over the last two gens has been to launch with a silly party game, and then to slowly drip feed another Zelda, 2D Mario, 3D Mario, Mario Kart etc. And with those games you already know exactly what you're getting. I don't know what the titular gimmick in the next Zelda game will be, but I know you'll have to rescue Zelda from Ganon, you'll start in a little village, get a bigger sword, go through a dungeon full of ice, a dungeon full of fire, and so on. Same with the Mario games. At least Galaxy felt a bit different. 3D World, for all it's a wonderful game, seems like it was designed from a checklist sheet.
    You are not nintendo's target audience and how much further can you really push these games anymore, it's mostly just perfecting and combining different genres nowadays with different presentations.

Zomoniac wrote:
    There are games I've played last gen that have either felt genuinely new, even if they weren't at there core, because they were done in such a way as to make it feel new (Braid, Fez, Journey, Flower, Portal, Rock Band, Heavy Rain).
    Never played Fez, Journey or Flower but only Braid felt genuinely new AND good despite it's terrible prose. Portal (not to say it was bad) felt very similar to one of those puzzle flash games on the web and Heavy Rain was crap after the novelty of 'controlling' the story wore off.
  • DFawkes 19 May 2014 13:38:45 22,939 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    -cerberus- wrote:
    Unpopular opinion! Cardinal Syn (ps1) is one of the best fighting games ever made. :cool:
    Certain had the best victory poses, if I remember correctly.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Rens11 30 May 2014 08:45:32 1,404 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Although I enjoy the PC soundtrack to Doom I think the Playstation version is better

Dont kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, hed eat you and everyone you care about!

• DFawkes 30 May 2014 09:22:15 22,939 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The PS1 soundtrack is really excellent. It changes the whole feel of the game and makes it feel that little bit more atmospheric, like you really were alone and at risk of death rather than upbeat unstoppable space marine midi tracks :p

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• DrStrangelove 30 May 2014 19:38:48 3,925 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    "Welcome!

This is Dinosaur Land. In this strange land we find that Princess Toadstool is missing again! Looks like Bowser is at it again!"

This is how a game story should be.
  • PhoenixFlames 30 May 2014 19:40:14 8,998 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I enjoy James Bond games.

PSN - phoenix1flames

• convercide 30 May 2014 20:38:39 6,019 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    James Pond 3 was much better than Robocod.

If you can read this, you don't need glasses.

• Raiko101 31 May 2014 05:11:58 6,298 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Journey is a beautiful looking game, but is incredibly boring.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• convercide 31 May 2014 06:09:03 6,019 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Same with Ico.

If you can read this, you don't need glasses.

• DiddlerDo 22 Aug 2014 16:00:36 1,772 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    Blizzard make glorified Facebook games. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy playing them. But to pretend they are anything more substantial than time dump facebook games scientifically built to appeal to be addictive is nonsense. Repetitive click click click gameplay. With shiny lights and appealing noises alongside a drip feed of shiny new items to make the repetitive gameplay feel just slightly different. Then add a wafer thin story to keep it all together. I don't think they should be criticised for doing this, I do however think that the likes of Farmville etc. are unfairly criticised. Which also ties into the ridiculous notion that these are proper games while those facebook/phone games are not.

Edited by DiddlerDo at 17:03:36 22-08-2014
  • drhickman1983 22 Aug 2014 16:19:27 318 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Here's an all-encompassing one.

I don't care about 1080p as my monitor can only do 1440x900.
  • Deckard1 22 Aug 2014 16:22:58 27,981 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
  • DrStrangelove 22 Aug 2014 16:29:55 3,925 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    A life without 1080p isn't worth living.

Make that 1080p60.
  • drhickman1983 22 Aug 2014 16:32:36 318 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Pft, I can manage without.
  • SomaticSense 22 Aug 2014 16:33:02 8,276 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    DiddlerDo wrote:
    Bioware make glorified Facebook games. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy playing them. But to pretend they are anything more substantial than time dump facebook games scientifically built to appeal to be addictive is nonsense. Repetitive click click click gameplay. With shiny lights and appealing noises alongside a drip feed of shiny new items to make the repetitive gameplay feel just slightly different. Then add a wafer thin story to keep it all together. I don't think they should be criticised for doing this, I do however think that the likes of Farmville etc. are unfairly criticised. Which also ties into the ridiculous notion that these are proper games while those facebook/phone games are not.
    I think you might be confusing Bioware with Blizzard.

Epic narrative-driven RPGs, with strategic turn-based combat/cover shooter elements (delete as applicable) and conversation branches... are like "Facebook games"?

That's honestly one of the most stupid things I've ever read on the forum.
  • telboy007 22 Aug 2014 16:49:49 453 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Any cover shooter without a female lead is a sexist run of the mill cover shooter.

Edited by telboy007 at 16:51:07 22-08-2014

Unlocked the achievement Exploring Uranus

• DiddlerDo 22 Aug 2014 17:03:17 1,772 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    SomaticSense wrote:
    DiddlerDo wrote:
    Bioware make glorified Facebook games. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy playing them. But to pretend they are anything more substantial than time dump facebook games scientifically built to appeal to be addictive is nonsense. Repetitive click click click gameplay. With shiny lights and appealing noises alongside a drip feed of shiny new items to make the repetitive gameplay feel just slightly different. Then add a wafer thin story to keep it all together. I don't think they should be criticised for doing this, I do however think that the likes of Farmville etc. are unfairly criticised. Which also ties into the ridiculous notion that these are proper games while those facebook/phone games are not.

Epic narrative-driven RPGs, with strategic turn-based combat/cover shooter elements (delete as applicable) and conversation branches... are like "Facebook games"?

Yeah, it was meant to read Blizzard not Bioware.
  • Rhaegyr 22 Aug 2014 17:31:39 1,677 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Blizzard used to make some great games with a lot of depth - the original Starcraft and WC3 spring to mind, though most of the depth came in multiplayer due to constantly shifting strategy.

Agree with the comments about Journey above - save a few moments, it's as dull as dishwater.

Edited by Rhaegyr at 17:32:41 22-08-2014
  • FuzzyDuck 22 Aug 2014 19:00:38 4,126 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Raiko101 wrote:
    Journey is a beautiful looking game, but is incredibly boring.
    Journey is barely a game.
  • Dombat 22 Aug 2014 19:26:13 264 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    DiddlerDo wrote:
    SomaticSense wrote:
    DiddlerDo wrote:

Yeah, it was meant to read Blizzard not Bioware.
    I sort of agree with that to be honest. I don't like the cartoony high-fantasy they use in their games either, both in the artstyle and their cheesy storylines/lore. I loved the darker gothic feel of the first two Diablo games but even that has been eroded now.

Not really bothered about what they do in the future. I quite liked Diablo 3 when it first came out but on the whole their modern style of games aren't what I want to play anymore.
  • Malek86 22 Aug 2014 19:32:41 805 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I hated Dear Esther. Couldn't get past 10 minutes.

I liked Gone Home and The Path, and also didn't really dislike Amnesia 2, so it's not that I hate walking simulators. But the sounds, visuals, narration, everything in Dear Esther, when combined together seemed like it was designed to make you snore.
  • DrStrangelove 23 Aug 2014 02:08:33 3,925 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    You need to be in the mood for Dear Esther. I somewhat enjoyed it. The cave later in the game was certainly a sight to behold.

I didn't enjoy Amnesia however, I think it's shit.

edit: you probably have to be in the mood for Amnesia too. Horror is just uninteresting to me. And Journey, didn't like it either, but again I think it may be great if you're in the right mood for that game. I wasn't so far. Or Flower, etc.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 02:11:30 23-08-2014
  • twelveways 23 Aug 2014 06:30:42 4,007 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Stories in games are a waste of time. It takes the piss that these days we have games with no gameplay that are all about the story. make a fucking movie instead.

What was that one where you went snooping around young girls bedrooms? what a waste of time that was; waiting and waiting for something to happen...
  • super-s1 23 Aug 2014 08:46:10 390 posts
    Seen 57 seconds ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    Yeah, as good as The Walking Dead may be, I only played one episode because I was there to play a game, not an inter-active movie. I may give it another go eventually.

I don't think stories are a total waste of time, it's just the vast majority of them don't even come up to the standard of mediocre films. And even if they are good, they should be secondary to actual gameplay.
  • iancognito 23 Aug 2014 09:15:25 1,382 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I played Dear Esther (again) yesterday. It can be a bit bleak but there are some great settings around half way through. Sometimes the dialogue is a bit Alan Partridge when he talks about the M5 and stopping at a Welcome Break.
  • Page

of 132 First / Last