Unpopular gaming opinions Page 86

• Page

of 124 First / Last

• RobTheBuilder 17 May 2013 20:31:26 6,521 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @cubbymoore thread also does not specify that you are in charge of enforcing said non existent rules...

:D
  • DrStrangelove 17 May 2013 21:24:32 2,566 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    cubbymoore wrote:
    Thread does not specify that opinions be backed by reasoning. There is no issue here, objection overruled.
    That would be a ridiculous thing to ask for in a web forum anyway.
  • yegon 18 May 2013 10:08:22 4,909 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sonic 1 & 2 were...okay, but the whole premise of burning through a level never really clicked with me as you'd invariably either miss stuff or lose your rings. Taking it slow wasn't that great either because you'd always have to backtrack to get your speed up to reach bits.
  • cubbymoore 18 May 2013 10:27:19 36,441 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah I feel the same about Sonic. It only really rewarded constant replay, trying to complete levels as fluidly as possible (which requires ninja reflexes on most levels).

Still, at least Sega tried to create their own thing, rather than rip Nintendo off directly.
  • Deleted user 18 May 2013 10:28:47
    While everyone is eagerly anticipating the start of the next generation, over-priced sales and sub-standard games while Developers figure out the new hardware can get fucked.
  • yegon 18 May 2013 10:29:29 4,909 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @cubbymoore

Yeah, true.

Not a fan of speed runs generally, much rather take my time and explore, so I was never going to be a huge Sonic fan.

Edited by yegon at 10:30:03 18-05-2013
  • Steve_Perry 18 May 2013 13:08:21 2,449 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    That's the good thing about the mega drive sonic games. You could go fast or slow its up to you.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• RobTheBuilder 18 May 2013 13:46:42 6,521 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Steve_Perry wrote:
    That's the good thing about the mega drive sonic games. You could go fast or slow its up to you.
    That's one reason why the modern sonic games have never captured the original few games' magic.
  • Steve_Perry 18 May 2013 13:59:00 2,449 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yup. Been playing the recently released sonic 1 on android and it is still great. Some great platforming, fun bosses and great music.

Sonic 4 got it wrong like all the 3d sonic games. Its not about speed primarily.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• yegon 18 May 2013 18:00:05 4,909 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    @DFawkes

No, Super Mario World is still the best of them. Which may still be unpopular because I think most prefer Yoshi's Island.
    I agree, although Yoshi's Island is the very best kind of sequel imo. Enough similarity to it's predecessor to warrant the name SMW2, but very different and inventive, introducing new play mechanics beyond the usual sequel fare of same-game-spruced-up-gfx-different-layout-new-jumping-outfit/gun/technique. Trying hard to think of other sequels across gaming that have managed this but I'm struggling. They do exist, but I can't think of any right now.

The NSMB games since....they were decent, played them all to completion, but were incredibly cookie cutter and utterly bereft of ye ol' magic.

Super Mario 3D Land was excellent of course, a brilliant mesh of old and new, so there is hope. I fully expect to have 3 perfect save slots on that in a few years, ala my crusty old SNES carts, something I don't feel even remotely compelled to do with the NSMB games.

Edited by yegon at 18:03:13 18-05-2013
  • DrStrangelove 18 May 2013 18:39:20 2,566 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @yegon

Agree completely. And it seems 3DS is the console to go for if you want that magic of old. Still surprised they're not doing anything like that for the Wii U.
  • PazJohnMitch 18 May 2013 18:53:20 7,273 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I cannot help thinking that Nintendo are working on a Super Mario Universe game for WiiU.
  • Kay 18 May 2013 18:53:48 17,403 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Tbh, Yoshi's Island is really too different from SMW to be considered a true sequel. In fact I'm pretty sure they only added the SMW2 moniker for certain markets. And, as seems to happen with most Nintendo games, it ended up spinning off into a new franchise anyway.

Still, it's better than SMW in my opinion, and along with Majora's Mask it's a perfect example of a follow-up to a classic game done right.

Edited by Kay at 18:54:45 18-05-2013
  • DrStrangelove 18 May 2013 19:12:38 2,566 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Kay wrote:

Still, it's better than SMW in my opinion, and along with Majora's Mask it's a perfect example of a follow-up to a classic game done right.
    Except that Majora's Mask is one of the biggest turds in gaming history.
  • Kay 18 May 2013 19:15:13 17,403 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ah, I guess this is the unpopular opinions thread.

Personally it's one of my favourite games ever, and arguably the best in the series.
  • DrStrangelove 18 May 2013 19:41:49 2,566 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    That is the most offensive thing I've heard in my entire life.
  • bobdebob 19 May 2013 00:16:12 520 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    cubbymoore wrote:
    Thread does not specify that opinions be backed by reasoning. There is no issue here, objection overruled.
    That would be a ridiculous thing to ask for in a web forum anyway.
    Here's a maybe unpopular gaming opinion:

Gaming forums are all almost uniformly terrible. Eurogamer forums only just keeps it's head above the sea of crapness.

Edited by bobdebob at 00:16:27 19-05-2013
  • DrStrangelove 19 May 2013 00:56:47 2,566 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Don't know, this is pretty much the only forum I visit anyway. It's much more sophisticated than political forums I visited years ago, or the comments sections of respected newspapers.
  • DrStrangelove 19 May 2013 01:22:47 2,566 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Metroid Prime is rubbish.
  • JinTypeNoir 19 May 2013 02:56:08 4,365 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Phantom Hourglass is my favorite Zelda game and the one I have the most memories for (and the Temple of the Ocean King is a large reason for it, that was beyond brilliant, how's that for an unpopular opinion?) but beyond my preferences Majora's Mask and Link's Awakening are the best games in the series. Anju and Kafei forever!
  • Deleted user 19 May 2013 05:49:15
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    Metroid Prime is rubbish.
    I'll add Mario to that.
  • Mola_Ram 19 May 2013 07:16:46 6,247 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    What, every single Mario game? Just a couple? The character?
  • figaro7 19 May 2013 07:37:56 1,343 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Metroid Prime isnt rubbish but i prefered Prime 2 and Prime 3 over it.
  • twelveways 19 May 2013 07:40:47 3,505 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I hate the Mario character, partly because I hate moustaches but also because I don't think he has any charm or appeal, his brother looks like a paedo too.
  • Deleted user 19 May 2013 08:33:45
    JinTypeNoir wrote:
    Phantom Hourglass is my favorite Zelda game and the one I have the most memories for (and the Temple of the Ocean King is a large reason for it, that was beyond brilliant, how's that for an unpopular opinion?) but beyond my preferences Majora's Mask and Link's Awakening are the best games in the series. Anju and Kafei forever!
    PH would have been a classic if it wasn't for the worst game mechanic ever created. Who ever thought of timing the dungeons should be shot

Edited by mowgli at 08:38:24 19-05-2013
  • Mola_Ram 19 May 2013 08:36:33 6,247 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Now now, I know that Wheeler was the biggest cunt in the Planeteers, but it's a bit of a stretch to blame him for the Temple of the Ocean King. And shooting him is a bit harsh.
  • FanBoysSuck 19 May 2013 10:12:05 1,385 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Nintendo only ever seem to release the same games over and over again with a new lick of paint and a new novelty mechanic centred around whatever gimmick they're flogging at the time. Not bad games as such, just same old, same old. By extension I sigh at the high scores they always get in the media while at the same time most outlets are crying about lack of innovation.

For the emperor!

• Mola_Ram 19 May 2013 10:21:42 6,247 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Which outlets are crying about the lack of innovation? Got any examples?

I agree that they do get a little samey, but the level design remains marvelous. Mario 3D Land on the 3DS is a cracking game, with so much love put into it. It oozes charm, as does Luigi's Mansion 2.

They get high scores, perhaps, because they are legitimately great games. I get why some people are jaded, but Nintendo wouldn't keep making these things if there wasn't a demand for them.
  • Deleted user 19 May 2013 10:23:36
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Everything. He's just an avatar for the gamer in the most basic of sense. I find the games really tedious too. Mario Kart was fun, but the last one was wasn't a spec on the Sega ones. Looking back now, apart from Zelda and Pokemon, Rare games were the only games I played back when Nintendo had better appeal.

Edited by Rec at 10:25:10 19-05-2013
  • Mola_Ram 19 May 2013 10:25:20 6,247 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Rec wrote:
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Everything. He's just an avatar for the gamer in the most basic of sense. I find the games really tedious too. Mario Kart was fun, but the last one was wasn't a spec on the Sega ones. Looking back now, apart from Zelda and Starfox, Rare games were the only games I played back when Nintendo had better appeal.
    Well, alright. Hating every single Mario game is just about the most wrong thing I can imagine, but I guess this is the right thread for it! :D
  • Page

of 124 First / Last