Unpopular gaming opinions Page 84

• Page

of 132 First / Last

• joeymoto108 6 May 2013 05:53:49 650 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The 360 controller is good and everything but the Wii U controller makes me gleam with happiness. A controller which has a touch screen! Never felt so enthusiastic about a controller since the Dreamcast's.

Shit battery life though.

'Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?'

• JinTypeNoir 6 May 2013 07:14:34 4,392 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    One of my pet peeves is when people used the expression, "You're forced to..." in games. I know it's just an expression and they don't literally mean that (or at least I hope they don't). But its such a whiny, inaccurate, awful expression. If nothing else, there is always the off switch. Many times, there are actually many other options, and I suppose players write or say this because they feel like you have to do it, even though you don't, but a greater amount of time its because they are being dumbasses.

For instance, Dark Souls doesn't force you to play in a careful manner, it encourages it. No one ever forces you to grind in a good RPG if you want to proceed, it's your crappy mind that can't think of any other solution. You aren't forced to wait for a slow download, you can always try again later or do something else.

Some people go to the lengths of saying, "The developer forces you to...", which is even worse. No one is forcing you to do anything. The number of times in your life when you have no other choice and someone is literally forcing you are miniscule.

I bet these are the same types of people who say things like, "I was forced to eat junk food yesterday because I had no time left before work," as if somebody literally shoved it down their throat and it wasn't entirely their choice of how to deal with that situation.

It's a lazy use of language and a lazy use of language can breed a lazy mind.
  • JCHilton 6 May 2013 07:16:37 1,488 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    JinTypeNoir wrote: It's a lazy use of language and a lazy use of language can breed a lazy mind.
    I agree :)
  • spytech 6 May 2013 08:52:50 8 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    How about serious SAM and the name i have forgotten but the game looks more or less like GTA4
  • SomaticSense 6 May 2013 10:23:07 8,679 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    spytech wrote:
    How about serious SAM and the name i have forgotten but the game looks more or less like GTA4
    What wonderful insight. You put into words exactly what I was thinking!
  • PenguinJim 6 May 2013 11:13:15 5,906 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    spytech wrote:
    I believe the name you've forgotten there is "The Ballad of Gay Tony".
  • RobTheBuilder 6 May 2013 11:30:03 6,521 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Not sure if this is unpopular or not, but Serious Sam is utter shit.
  • drip 6 May 2013 21:03:59 4,276 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I wouldn't say it's utter shit, but it's certainly not the back to the roots experience some want you to believe. It's a decent mayhemic shooter with open places and endless waves of enemies thrown at you, but there's more to old school shooters than that.

Same about Painkiller btw.
  • RobTheBuilder 6 May 2013 21:29:18 6,521 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @DrStrangelove I wouldn't even say that. I played it back in the day and enjoyed it, but playing it again now it feels so very very dated. With no subtlety or nuance whatsoever. I played it for a few hours and have never felt the urge to go back. It was nearly the first game I ever deleted from my steam list I disliked it that much.
  • Metalfish 6 May 2013 22:36:14 8,830 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't know if this is unpopular or not, but playing AC3 lately, feels like I'm fighting a control scheme more than the enemies.

In fact, this is true for most open world games -doubly so if relying on context sensitive actions.
  • RobTheBuilder 6 May 2013 22:38:12 6,521 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Metalfish I think that's partly why fps games are so popular. The movement mechanics are so simple it's hard to make it bad
  • King_Edward 6 May 2013 23:14:39 11,454 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:

Same about Painkiller btw.
    Ooooh you. Painkiller was a great laugh.
  • drip 16 May 2013 15:36:52 4,276 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Blood Dragon is shit. Again and again I tried to like it, but it's shit.
  • yegon 17 May 2013 10:41:24 5,329 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The SNES Donkey Kong Country games were crapola, served in a relatively funky, tech enhanced package.

Front page review of DKC Returns (which I like) reminded me of this long held opinion of mine. They really were garbage, the platforming felt imprecise like you were waiting for the animation (itself wonky to my eyes, like it was missing several frames) to keep up, and the layout of the levels were quite idiotically bland. The automated barrel to barrel flight was, to me, just a blatant attempt to fool you into thinking it wasn't bland. Bah, like on rails bits in fps' that are meant to be "exciting", I wasn't fooled for a moment.

Kindergarten stuff next to SMW and Yoshi's Island.

Edited by yegon at 10:50:51 17-05-2013
  • RobTheBuilder 17 May 2013 11:01:03 6,521 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @yegon I played DKC a few months back and thought it had dated horribly.
  • JinTypeNoir 17 May 2013 11:10:48 4,392 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Super Mario World is donuts and cake compared to the cum sandwich that is Donkey Kong Country. Yoshi's Island is like getting a tour of the whole candy shop and told you can have as much as you like, while Donkey Kong Country 3 is like eating a dinner that consists of spam and cardboard. The original is okay. There are too many enemies that don't have any particular function but are different models just for the sake of it, there are too many levels with boring layouts or gimmick levels that take the gimmick too far in the wrong direction and the animal companions and extended Kong family are wretched designs. Donkey Kong Country 3 is a staid followup to the second game, where the less is more philosophy could have done it a lot of good.

However, Donkey Kong Country 2 is really, really, really good. It and Returns are the only two games that can be considered classics that never age in the series.
  • bobdebob 17 May 2013 11:15:50 589 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @yegon
    Now that's a real unpopular opinion.
    DKC was great with brilliant music.
    And you didn't like the 'on rails' bit back then?
    Bach when, where little gimmicks like that amazing, like riding a horse in Shinobi 3, top-down view in Super Probotector, the sky level in Sonic 2 etc.
    I know those gimmicks seem crap now because you've played them so much but they were fun the first play through.
  • thedaveeyres 17 May 2013 11:23:01 11,247 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    On that note, Diddy Kong Racing was miles better than Super Mario Kart 64.

D****** ******r

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• Deleted user 17 May 2013 11:23:41
    I tried Donkey Kong Country again on an emulator recently and whole heartedly agree that it is fucking rubbish.
  • Deleted user 17 May 2013 11:24:25
    No, I agree Diddy Kong Racing was better than Kart 64.
  • RobTheBuilder 17 May 2013 11:25:07 6,521 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @bitch_tits_zero_nine I wouldn't say it's rubbish but its very dated and perhaps overrated.
  • Deleted user 17 May 2013 11:27:31
    Felt clunky tbh. Mario in all it's iterations feels like a skill that can be mastered. Amazing how they get an almost analogue physics based feel to control.
  • yegon 17 May 2013 11:31:26 5,329 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I never played the sequels, too burnt after the first one. These were the days when if I'd spent 40 or so on a game, by god I'd complete it even if I hated it!:)

Re: Diddy Kong Racing, loved it. Much better than MK64, itself a series Ive moaned about in this thread (SNES Mario Kart >>>> all sequels).

Edited by yegon at 11:36:15 17-05-2013
  • JinTypeNoir 17 May 2013 11:33:14 4,392 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Also, its feels weird to say this, but I feel like the level designs and controls in Mario are a whole lot more subtle than the Donkey Kong Country games, which hit you over the head with the obvious stick.
  • Kay 17 May 2013 11:34:51 17,920 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    yegon wrote:
    I never played the sequels, too burnt after the first one. These were the days when if I'd spent 40 or so on a game, by god I'd complete it even if I hated it!:)
    I have fond memories of the first two games, but the 3rd was superior in pretty much every aspect, and up there with the best SNES games imo. Albeit still not as good as the Mario games.
  • King_Edward 17 May 2013 12:59:04 11,454 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    Blood Dragon is shit. Again and again I tried to like it, but it's shit.
    I haven't played it, but I get a real whiff of Duke Nukem Forever off of it.

It's shit "ironically".
  • Findus 17 May 2013 13:06:37 144 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Codemasters F1 games are not as good as the Sony games.

Edited by Findus at 13:06:48 17-05-2013
  • King_Edward 17 May 2013 13:09:07 11,454 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Findus

I did admire their dedication to making it as mind numbingly awkward to race as possible. Very realistic.
  • Ryze 17 May 2013 13:55:58 3,125 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    JinTypeNoir wrote:
    One of my pet peeves is when people used the expression, "You're forced to..." in games. I know it's just an expression and they don't literally mean that (or at least I hope they don't). But its such a whiny, inaccurate, awful expression. If nothing else, there is always the off switch. Many times, there are actually many other options, and I suppose players write or say this because they feel like you have to do it, even though you don't, but a greater amount of time its because they are being dumbasses.
    The only reason I can see for anyone doing this, is if they're frustrated at having to invest time on a monotonous task in order to unlock content in a title that they've paid 40 for.

These people should avoid buying certain games, really. There are game design issues with some titles, but the best way to deal with it is to trade in the game, and not to buy the sequel at full price. Rental, or discounted only, if they're not getting their money's worth out of the content.
  • RobTheBuilder 17 May 2013 14:03:09 6,521 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Findus wrote:
    Codemasters F1 games are not as good as the Sony games.
    The early psygnosis games were excellent for the time. The amazement at a realistic looking track and cars with commentary and tv like data graphics... Joyous
  • Page

of 132 First / Last