Unpopular gaming opinions Page 81

• Page

of 132 First / Last

• RobTheBuilder 4 May 2013 23:24:27 6,521 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @DrStrangelove well each to his own I guess. I find the 360 way more comfortable, must be down to different hand types!
  • SYS64738 4 May 2013 23:24:32 1,687 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    DarkSpaceDS wrote:
    I seriously can't understand how anyone can think the Dualshock controllers are any good let alone better than the 360 controller.

The Dualshock controller was basically a SNES type controller after the Sony/Nintendo partnership break up. The very first Dualshock didn't even have thumb sticks.

All they did was tack on two thumb sticks and have kept it the same for over 15 freaking years. The Dualshock just feels unnatural whereas the 360 controller was designed to be held in human hands.

Only explanation for people preferring the Dualshock to the 360 controller is that they are too used to it. Theres a saying people don't like change even when its for the better.
    My god.

PSN: SYS64738_UK

• King_Edward 4 May 2013 23:24:41 11,454 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The Snes controller was comfy too. You mad DSDS.
  • mal 4 May 2013 23:26:55 22,710 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    DarkSpaceDS wrote:
    The very first Dualshock didn't even have thumb sticks.
    The very first 'dualshock' without sticks wasn't a dualshock. Mind you, the first playstation pad with sticks wasn't a dualshock either.

FWIW I prefer the 360 sticks and the DS d-pad like many others here, but it takes a few seconds at most to adapt to either. On the other hand, every time I dig out my N64 for a bit of F-Zero X my left thumb hurts for days until my hand adapts.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• drip 4 May 2013 23:29:04 4,302 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    DarkSpaceDS wrote:

All they did was tack on two thumb sticks and have kept it the same for over 15 freaking years.
    Just like they put an ordinary round wheel in the cockpit of a car and didn't find any better solution for about 100 years now. Because it just works fine.
  • drip 4 May 2013 23:30:36 4,302 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    mal wrote:

On the other hand, every time I dig out my N64 for a bit of F-Zero X my left thumb hurts for days until my hand adapts.
    Making a three-handed controller was probably the stupidest design in gaming history...
  • SYS64738 4 May 2013 23:33:39 1,687 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Post deleted

PSN: SYS64738_UK

• RobTheBuilder 4 May 2013 23:44:01 6,521 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @DrStrangelove Atari Jaguar.

Argument over.

:)
  • Deleted user 4 May 2013 23:46:08
    I prefer the 360 pad in general but always hated the triggers and preferred those on the ps3. They just felt better, more resistance and less clicky. More fun and responsive like pressing on the gas or pulling a trigger. Actually, I also prefer the ps3 dpad and face buttons. Which only leaves the analogue sticks which I like fine on the ps3 but probably prefer on the 360.
  • Arrr9 4 May 2013 23:48:29 435 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    DarkSpaceDS wrote:
    I seriously can't understand how anyone can think the Dualshock controllers are any good let alone better than the 360 controller.

The Dualshock controller was basically a SNES type controller after the Sony/Nintendo partnership break up. The very first Dualshock didn't even have thumb sticks.

All they did was tack on two thumb sticks and have kept it the same for over 15 freaking years. The Dualshock just feels unnatural whereas the 360 controller was designed to be held in human hands.

Only explanation for people preferring the Dualshock to the 360 controller is that they are too used to it. Theres a saying people don't like change even when its for the better.
    Being based on a SNES controller really isn't a bad thing, it hasn't changed for years as it's a good design. I'll happily use either the 360 or PS controller though they do seem to be suited to different game types.

Given the thread title though.... Bioshock Infinite is a poor game tacked on to an ok story, just not satisfying to play ( as a game ). Also, if games suddenly dropped all pretences of trying to tell a story through cutscenes or other uncontrollable crap, it would be more than welcome.
  • mal 4 May 2013 23:54:36 22,710 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:

Argument over.

FWIW, I quite like the Jag controller (though only really the Pro controller - on the original pad the d-pad is atrocious). It's got a decent heft (like the Duke) and is comfortable to hold. Now that's an unpopular opinion for you.

• RobTheBuilder 4 May 2013 23:59:33 6,521 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @mal u mad bro?

;)
  • drip 5 May 2013 00:01:56 4,302 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:

Argument over.

Okay, you found one that's worse than the X360. Agreed, let's leave this.
  • drip 5 May 2013 00:04:20 4,302 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Arrr9 wrote:

Given the thread title though.... Bioshock Infinite is a poor game tacked on to an ok story, just not satisfying to play ( as a game ). Also, if games suddenly dropped all pretences of trying to tell a story through cutscenes or other uncontrollable crap, it would be more than welcome.
    Never played Infinite, only the first one, and that#s pretty much what I felt about it. I found the world/story interesting--although not as insanely good as many had me believe--but just found it lacking on the gameplay part. The best story has little use if the game's just not enjoyable to play.
  • Arrr9 5 May 2013 00:28:07 435 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Perhaps more fool me but I played all three of them, each because I really liked the setting and atmosphere but the game itself just left me pretty cold. Half life 1 / 2 is in the same bag for me too, just don't get the crazy amount of affection it seems to get.
  • JinTypeNoir 5 May 2013 01:01:56 4,392 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    bobdebob wrote:
    JinTypeNoir wrote:
    Day one on-disc downloads are the very height of, "You must not think your customers are very intelligent." And they're probably right.
    Oh, just fuck off. I hate that condescending attitude that posters that have when they think buying certain videogames makes you stupid.
    I said nothing of the sort. What that part actually implies is that companies seem to think they can get away with releasing only part of the game on the first day, and charge for the rest, even though its completed and that the amount of people who will notice or have any objection to this will do nothing to their reputation. That's like showing people a full cake and then when they buy it, only giving them half, saying that the other half became invisible and charging for each piece to become visible. Who would be taken in by a stupid trick like that? There are many, many, many stupid people in the world who can't work out the fundamental dishonesty of such a practice. Those who makes these decisions are trying to take advantage of their stupidity.

Whether you buy it or not, obviously is immaterial. Your kid might want it. You might be giving it as a gift. You might be filthy rich and don't care either way. Nothing any company does bothers you. You don't really follow games. You're happy with the basic game and don't want to buy the downloadable tchokes. None of that has to do with intelligence.

However, good job reading that into my statement. Jumping to conclusions is the hallmark of intelligence. I salute you, genius.
  • TheMilkman 5 May 2013 01:03:04 216 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Anyone that says the gameplay in Bioshock Infinite is poor should never be allowed to play an fps again as they don't understand them properly.

And the 360 controller and the dualshock are both good pads. That seems to be an unpopular opinion here as it seems everyone thinks one is shit and one is ace.
  • drip 5 May 2013 01:14:57 4,302 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @TheMilkman

It's reasonable to say both pads are good, but that won't start a proper war, will it?
  • JinTypeNoir 5 May 2013 01:17:39 4,392 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    DarkSpaceDS wrote:

If that's not just hyperbole and you seriously can't understand how anyone can think the Dualshock controllers are good, then how on Earth did Sony sell well over 200 million PlayStations that feature it? Everyone just says, "Oh, well its the popular one, so I guess I'll have to murder my hands with bad controls. No choice, controller isn't any good. *sigh*"

Sony hasn't changed it for years because there seriously aren't enough customers who think it is a bad controller. Any of the standard controllers that come on the hottest selling consoles are fundamentally well designed because it means people don't have an issue or enough of an issue of it to deter playing games on the machine. If the Dualshock was as bad as some people claim it is, Sony never would have gotten where they are.

Oh and the BTW, the very first Dualshock came years later, it wasn't a Dualshock until Sony first released an analog stick to compete with Nintendo and then added rumble after Star Fox 64 came out and proved the idea to be a hit. The very first PlayStation controller did have some uncomfortable areas, as the d-pad was way harder and it didn't have the grips. That's why they iterated and improved it into the...duh duh duh...Dualshock. One part of the many reasons the original PlayStation took off was because the Dualshock was so well designed to accommodate all things, it became the new standard.

It's kind of like, "Paper sucks, I can't believe people think that shit makes a good writing tool."

Edited by JinTypeNoir at 01:18:19 05-05-2013
  • TheMilkman 5 May 2013 01:21:20 216 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    @TheMilkman

It's reasonable to say both pads are good, but that won't start a proper war, will it?
    Okay then the circle button on the dualshock shits on 'b' from a large height. Genuinely believe that actually.

Having said that back is better than select, clearly.

Edited by TheMilkman at 01:24:18 05-05-2013
  • phAge 5 May 2013 01:23:34 24,386 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @JinTypeNoir

Nokia had the cell phone market locked down. Then the iPhone happened.

How *is* your 3310 feeling these days?
  • dsmx 5 May 2013 01:27:40 7,649 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I struggle to think of anything that's actually bad about the various versions of the dual shock over the years, they are solid controllers in every respect.

There are people who say the analogue stick should be moved and they'd be wrong because the way the dualshock is designed means you don't hold the controller in the same way as the xbox controller so moving the analogue stick down would actually make it less comfortable to hold unless you redesigned the shape of the controller.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• JinTypeNoir 5 May 2013 01:29:30 4,392 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've never had a Nokia and I have no idea what you're talking about. In Japan, we were enjoying cellphones that could do many of the same things on iPhone could, so it took a while to catch on over here.

Are you trying to say the Dualshock is a bad controller because it didn't innovate? That's beside the point. Clearly, consumers also took to interfaces like the DS's touch screen and the Wii's motion controls. This does not have direct correlation to the quality of the Dualshock as a controller designed to play conventional games. It simply demonstrates that it hasn't been innovative for a long time.
  • Gland 5 May 2013 01:30:32 78,449 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    No, no one is trying to say it's a bad controller because it didn't innovate, everyone with a brain is saying it's a bad controller because it's shit.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• mal 5 May 2013 01:31:35 22,710 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    In Europe we were enjoying Nokias and other mobile phones that could do more things than the original iPhone could (like copy&paste, and MMS messages), but, eh, the iPhone looked cooler.

• drip 5 May 2013 01:44:41 4,302 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Dirtbox

I have a feeling you're just polemising
  • FuzzyDuck 5 May 2013 01:47:28 4,338 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    @RobTheBuilder

The DS' soft convex sticks are like making love to a fairy made of pudding. I can use it for hours and it's still comfortable. I can't use the X360 pad for more than 15 minutes without my thumbs hurting.

And I like it a lot that I can use both thumb joints to control the left stick, whereas with the X360 the base joint has to do all the work alone, which is bad for precision.
    Huzzah, I think myself and Dr. Strangelove can get matching 'Dualshock is aweseome' tshirts, as this is exactly how i feel.

The DS has a slightly bigger dead zone than the 360, but the sticks are much, much easier to use, fresh out of the box they only require a tiny amount of force for precise movements, whereas a new 360 pad is way too stiff.

I can't stand having the left stick in the primary position on the 360 pad - my hands are symmetrical, thanks Microsoft! I get a pain through my left thumb when using the 360 pad, not so with the DS.

Also, I seem to be the only one who complains about this, but I find the 360 bumpers to be sitting above my index fingers which require an awkward stretch up to hit them as the triggers sit under them, whereas with the DS, the shoulder buttons sit under the index fingers and you stretch down to hit the triggers, which is much easier.

Literally the only thing about the 360 pad I prefer is the triggers, couldn't imagine playing Trials Evo with a DS! Apart from this, DS wins every single time for me.
  • mal 5 May 2013 01:57:35 22,710 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    No, I get that too. If anything requires me to hit the 360 shoulder buttons, I sigh quietly inside, because not only are they minimally tactile, but my fingers naturally fall to the bottom of the triggers and require actual conscious effort to move them all the way up to the buttons, which then (as already mentioned) fail to respond with the expected solid clunk.

• Page

of 132 First / Last