Off the top of my head.
  • JoeBlade 28 Apr 2013 18:49:32 2,615 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    JinTypeNoir wrote:
    Bullfrog
    Origin
    Westwood Studios
    For those three alone I will never be able to approach EA with anything but distrust and skepticism.
    That and destroying what could've become a shining beacon in the WRPG genre (and pretty much Bioware in general)

But hey, at least they managed to plaster their shittiness all over the moon for everyone to see clearly thanks to the Sim City debacle.

/isn't very fond of EA
  • Deleted user 28 April 2013 18:53:27
    bitch_tits_zero_nine wrote:
    they're evil.
    This is just silly.
  • Deleted user 28 April 2013 19:01:54
    I couldn't be arsed to articulate how their capitalist philosophy with regards to buying development houses and dictating creative decisions has caused games to stagnate.

Just my opinion.
  • SparkyMarky81 28 Apr 2013 19:06:44 567 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    thedaveeyres wrote:
    EA are just another games publisher. No better or worse than all the others.
    They are responsible for FIFA so they are alright by me too.
  • Deleted user 28 April 2013 19:07:22
    yeah Fifa is cool
  • Deleted user 28 April 2013 19:14:33
    Bullfrog was ace.
  • Dirtbox 28 Apr 2013 19:20:40 78,764 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Pepsipop wrote:
    EA didn't have input on many of those games they just published them, the valve ones especially. Just like the anti Christ Activision don't have input on Destiny.
    You mean aside from the microtransaction stuff, the endless more of the same sequels and the on-disk DLC?

Edited by Dirtbox at 19:24:53 28-04-2013

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• CharlieStCloud 28 Apr 2013 19:28:53 5,355 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Pepsipop wrote:
    The combat in BioShock Infinite was pants and except for the brilliant story, BioShock 2 is actually a better game.
    Minerva's Den, whilst a four hour DLC, is better than all three BioShock games.

I like a personal story and the 'twist' in Minerva's Den is arguably better than the one in the original.
  • jonsaan 28 Apr 2013 19:37:36 25,435 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    All games are meh and we only do it as we search for a way to fill that tragic empty space in our lives.

FCUTA!

• RobTheBuilder 28 Apr 2013 19:47:53 6,521 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @jonsaan so then going onto a forum to engage in pointless debates about said games is... What precisely?! ;)
  • jonsaan 28 Apr 2013 19:48:51 25,435 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    a hopeless addiction. :)

FCUTA!

• RobTheBuilder 28 Apr 2013 19:59:51 6,521 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Touché.
  • HelloNo 28 Apr 2013 20:17:40 1,224 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I could stop visiting this forum any time I want.

I just don't want to right now.
  • bobdebob 3 May 2013 17:03:48 595 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    jonsaan wrote:
    All games are meh and we only do it as we search for a way to fill that tragic empty space in our lives.
    That basically describes 'hardcore' gamers, doesn't it?

People who've forgotten that gaming's sole purpose is entertainment and killing time. People who won't admit that may have sunk one too many hours into gaming.

Probably explains why they really want gaming to be taken seriously as art despite the fact the examples they pick are usually immensely flawed.
    And why they lash out so angrily at any (perceived) slight at gaming, some of comments directed at Ebert were quite vile and the time when Obama had the cheek to suggest it may be better for kids to read books than play video games.

Edited by bobdebob at 17:04:05 03-05-2013
  • Deleted user 3 May 2013 17:20:41
    OPINIONS
  • ronuds 3 May 2013 18:35:38 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Pepsipop wrote:
    EA didn't have input on many of those games they just published them, the valve ones especially. Just like the anti Christ Activision don't have input on Destiny.
    You mean aside from the microtransaction stuff, the endless more of the same sequels and the on-disk DLC?
    Seems like investing millions and millions into a game that will eventually be part of what represents you as a company might make you want to have at least a little input.
  • JoeBlade 4 May 2013 11:14:28 2,615 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ronuds wrote:
    Seems like investing millions and millions into a game that will eventually be part of what represents you as a company might make you want to have at least a little input.
    Um, actually, no. That's the whole point of investing: one entity produces something novel, another entity puts money into making that possible. It's basically just a form of loan, except it's in a field the one granting the loan is focused on and very familiar with and can as such minimize the chances of getting burned.

There is meant to be a separation of concerns, otherwise original ideas would not happen; all companies would just focus on refining something they know works well (which, unfortunately, does happen to a large degree in all sectors)
    A risk of failure is necessary for innovation, which implies the investor has to have trust in the creative vision of whoever they are backing without interference.

Publishers are essentially just investors. They're free to capitalize on their investment through means that do not affect the ones actually making games (e.g. through marketing and advertising) but anything beyond that is dodgy to say the least.
    Unfortunately those waters always have and always will be muddied. Which is why new investment methods like kickstarter are so popular, even among development companies who don't actually need kickstarting. As far as investors go it's guaranteed that someone will not come up to them one day with unwanted requirements like microtransactions or shoehorned multiplayer.
  • figaro7 4 May 2013 11:24:11 1,378 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Terranigma was the best rpg on the SNES
    Final fantasy 7 is still one of the best RPGS ever made
    Red alert 2 Yuris revenge was better than starcraft in a 3 army game at the time.
    Burnout 2 point of impact is still the best arcade racer to this day.
  • drip 4 May 2013 16:30:44 4,586 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @figaro7

I agree about Burnout 2. It hit a sweet spot between racing and action. From Burnout 3 onwards, it became more and more of a sonic speed crashing game.
  • Madder-Max 4 May 2013 16:49:40 11,679 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    This is probably unpopular but gaming has a narcotic effect on the brain.

99 problems and being ginger is one

• RobTheBuilder 4 May 2013 17:16:43 6,521 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @figaro7 absolutely on burnout 2. The takedowns actually damaged the series for me, made it more short term and spoiled the replay and multiplayer value.

The multiple top score charts of burnout 2 are the most addictive score tables I've ever found. Used to spend days with my housemates trying to nail laps.
  • PenguinJim 4 May 2013 17:19:48 5,943 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Pepsipop wrote:
    I honestly cannot get my head around why some people think on-disc DLC = bad. (Apart from being oxymoronical, of course, but you know what I mean)
  • King_Edward 4 May 2013 17:22:39 11,466 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Holding content to ransom innit.
  • PenguinJim 4 May 2013 17:45:43 5,943 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Like... everything else we pay for? :p So we have to pay for something that costs money - I can't see the crime. I don't get angry about the trial DVDs included on magazine covers or with motherboards that contain the full software as long as you buy a key, and can't quite see the difference here.

Probably not the most popular opinion, though, eh. ;)
  • bobdebob 4 May 2013 17:59:00 595 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @PenguinJim
    Cause it's so close they can almost taste it.
  • PenguinJim 4 May 2013 18:05:36 5,943 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    :D
  • JinTypeNoir 4 May 2013 18:07:11 4,392 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The only time when on-disc downloadable crikemedads is okay is when its something like Professor Layton's weekly downloadable puzzles. Its an extra they just wanted to time delay for the sake of getting you to come back every week. And even when Nintendo started allowing companies to charge for downloadable scoomedowahs on their platforms, they were still free. I don't think anyone cares in that case.

Otherwise, its just rather reprehensible. Companies should really start trying to release a few pieces of their downloadable kolodasheepies for free (and keep them free) to show good will and then start releasing other stuff. Day one on-disc downloads are the very height of, "You must not think your customers are very intelligent." And they're probably right.
  • Steve_Perry 4 May 2013 18:08:51 4,936 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Shwumpedump

VIVA STEFANSEN

• morriss 4 May 2013 18:15:39 71,283 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    GTA V looks as boring as IV, this time with an unorginal (Sopranos) storyline, more generic "s'up ma nigga!" and crazy southern state hillbilly.

*yawn*
  • Page

of 132 First / Last