Unpopular gaming opinions Page 67

• Page

of 130 First / Last

• bitch_tits_zero_nine 8 Apr 2013 16:07:45 6,654 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I disagree that the combat is shit but I think the game would be better if they reset enemies totally upon death.
  • themightydux 8 Apr 2013 16:17:41 10 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    And I've got a sinking feeling that the story's not as clever as thinks it is.
  • Mr-Brett 8 Apr 2013 17:33:43 12,723 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I don't get why people get so hung up on the story parts in Braid, it's easily ignored and is pretty inoffensive. If you get something out of it then fine and if not then so what?

Portable view - Never forget.

• Bremenacht 8 Apr 2013 17:41:19 17,600 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    themightydux wrote:
    On the home stretch of Bioshock Infinite and not enjoying the combat at all. AT ALL.

The respawn mechanic seems designed as a concession to the appalling combat.
    Yes. Most irritating. The last encounter with Lady C was particularly tiresome.
  • bobdebob 8 Apr 2013 17:46:26 542 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    I don't get why people get so hung up on the story parts in Braid, it's easily ignored and is pretty inoffensive. If you get something out of it then fine and if not then so what?
    From various reviews and articles, you get the impression that the story was supposed to be a big part of the game but like you said it's easily ignored and barely relates to the game save for the final world where it's only slightly felt in the gameplay.

Like old video game manuals that try to give a sense and purpose to your vaguely-shaped pixel avatar on-screen.

Edit: I think when it seems possible that a game can be construed as art (some) gamers and (some) game reviewers brains explode.

Edited by bobdebob at 17:55:58 08-04-2013
  • Mr-Brett 8 Apr 2013 17:49:27 12,723 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fair enough, for me it was more about some cool mechanics and one of the best puzzle platformers ever made but lets ignore that because 'OMG it's pretentious!'

Side note: is it possible to call something pretentious without coming off as a bit of a ass?

• Mr_Sleep 8 Apr 2013 17:53:13 16,838 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    Side note: is it possible to call something pretentious without coming off as a bit of a ass?
    That very much depends on if one is aware of what pretentious actually means.

You are a factory of sadness.

• bobdebob 8 Apr 2013 17:56:19 542 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    Fair enough, for me it was more about some cool mechanics and one of the best puzzle platformers ever made but lets ignore that because 'OMG it's pretentious!'

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a good game but it's not the 'Watchmen' of videogames.

I think the Eurogamer review is an example of a gaming reviwer's brain exploding.

Braid has 2 problems if you ignore the story: It was way too short for 1200 points and some puzzles required to be pixel-perfect at jumping like SMB: Lost Levels.

Edited by bobdebob at 18:04:15 08-04-2013
  • King_Edward 8 Apr 2013 18:09:56 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Mr-Brett wrote:

I don't think so. I've never seen it done.
  • Anthony_UK 8 Apr 2013 18:23:51 2,459 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I quite like that the new xbox appears to be along the lines of a all in one media box, especially if I can somehow watch regular TV through it.
  • RobTheBuilder 8 Apr 2013 18:56:34 6,521 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Anthony_UK shame that every rumour so far suggests the console accompanying it will be shit.
  • Mr-Brett 8 Apr 2013 19:08:41 12,723 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    I feel that it's been so miss-used that it doesn't really matter if it's a correct use or not.
    bobdebob wrote:
    Braid has 2 problems if you ignore the story: It was way too short for 1200 points and some puzzles required to be pixel-perfect at jumping like SMB: Lost Levels.
    It is short but also a rich experience, personally I don't put much value in length but I understand when others do. I think 800 would have been fairer but I guess MS so an opportunity and capitalised which being a faceless corporation is likely to happen, hard to hold it against them as it's the nature of the beast but still, a legitimate point.

I think the pixel perfect platforming was negated to a large extent by the rewind mechanic, it removed a lot of the frustration that I normally feel with that kinda thing by allowing a near instant undo.

• andytheadequate 8 Apr 2013 19:42:20 8,075 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I really enjoyed Braid, the only problem with it was the game reviewers going a bit mental about it, which isn't really the games fault...
  • RedSparrows 8 Apr 2013 19:49:01 21,988 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    Pretentious is often used very ironically.
  • cubbymoore 8 Apr 2013 19:58:16 36,468 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm fed up of retro styled modern games.
  • mikeck 9 Apr 2013 09:16:09 1,901 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    I can't help but chuckle at this response Sleepy

"if one is aware of what pretentious actually means"

Sorry, maybe it's just my issue with people using "if one" in a sentence when describing themselves. That seems pretentious to me ;)

(I am a mere pleb though) :p

Edited by mikeck at 09:16:41 09-04-2013
  • Big-Swiss 9 Apr 2013 09:30:00 8,076 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Took me a long time to follow, but I finally understand the discussion.
    I also think, that Oscar Pretentious is a murderer and for sure killed his awesome model girldfriend! RIP M. Thatcher!
  • Mr-Brett 9 Apr 2013 09:36:08 12,723 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Spot on Big-Swiss. Although you forgot about Brad who is a shit.

• RobTheBuilder 12 Apr 2013 01:03:51 6,521 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    25 minutes of Hotline Miami, and I'm really not enjoying it. It's just frustrating, enemies that hide just out of shot who can kill you in a split second. Controls that are pretty fiddly when under fire at such speed.

Starting to feel very overhyped.
  • Mola_Ram 12 Apr 2013 02:01:31 6,946 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Hotline Miami isn't an FPS. It's more like a puzzle game, where you have to figure out the right combination of actions to succeed. Keep playing it!
  • RobTheBuilder 12 Apr 2013 02:15:31 6,521 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Mola_Ram definitely. It's just very annoying when you work how how to do something and then an enemy has moved to a place you can't see and kills you!

Controls are annoying too. Weapon pick up and lock on buttons need swapping (shall see if I can tomorrow)

Ill stick with it but the fun setup is being damaged by cheap kills in an otherwise smart game.
  • JinTypeNoir 12 Apr 2013 02:56:00 4,365 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The 3DS and the Vita both should have been less powerful.
  • dilluc 12 Apr 2013 03:14:56 3 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Far Cry 2 is a better game than Far Cry 3.
    Because it is more painful.
  • figaro7 12 Apr 2013 03:57:42 1,362 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Beyond good and evil is a good game, but its far from the game people hold in high regard.
  • Mola_Ram 12 Apr 2013 04:10:01 6,946 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    dilluc wrote:
    Agreed. Well, sort of. I think fc3 is probably more polished as a game, and is more of a traditionally fun experience, but fc2 is unique and definitely more memorable. I've never played an fps quite like it.
  • PazJohnMitch 12 Apr 2013 06:43:34 7,779 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    JinTypeNoir wrote:
    The 3DS and the Vita both should have been less powerful.
    I can understand wanting the Vita toned back a bit because it could retail at a lower price and would therefore sell more / get more backing.

But why tone back the 3DS?

If the 3DS was any less powerful then it would be sub PSP standard. As far as I can tell only Resident Evil has shown that the 3DS is infact more powerful than the old PSP. (Not played Luigi yet).
  • King_Edward 12 Apr 2013 07:23:46 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    25 minutes of Hotline Miami, and I'm really not enjoying it. It's just frustrating, enemies that hide just out of shot who can kill you in a split second. Controls that are pretty fiddly when under fire at such speed.

Starting to feel very overhyped.
    Hold tab to freely move the camera around, and see what enemies are up to.
  • Deleted user 12 April 2013 08:50:19
    dilluc wrote:
    I loved Far Cry 2, but would definitely say FC3 is better. Both such great games though I'm not going to argue with anyone picking a preference!
  • Deleted user 12 April 2013 09:35:31
    cubbymoore wrote:
    I'm fed up of retro styled modern games.
    QFT.
    Also, making your game in butt-ugly 16-bit graphics doesn't automatically make it a good, retro-style platformer.
  • Chopsen 12 Apr 2013 09:37:27 15,702 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If the 3DS was less powerful it'd be a pocket calculator.
  • Page

of 130 First / Last