Unpopular gaming opinions Page 61

• Page

of 135 First / Last

• King_Edward 6 Apr 2013 16:49:14 11,471 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    We don't force them to do anything. It's a market they've intentionally developed, that is now crashing around them.
  • King_Edward 6 Apr 2013 16:50:11 11,471 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    ME1 had proper exploration.
    Did it? That, I don't remember.
  • Deleted user 6 April 2013 16:50:14
    Why buy a game launch we when we know within four weeks it will be nearly half the value.
  • Syrette 6 Apr 2013 16:52:27 44,208 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    RedSparrows wrote:
    ME1 had proper exploration.
    Did it? That, I don't remember.
    Yeah I don't know what he's on about there. Unless he means the abysmal Mako sections.

• TheMilkman 6 Apr 2013 16:53:14 228 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The Mako was good, it was the planets that where shit. The planet scanning was just downright terrible though.

If they had just expanded what they had started in the first then it would've been better than turning it into a shooter. IMO the 2nd one is the worst one. I actually liked ME 3 more despite the shite fetch quests in that. It had already turned into a shooter by then and ME3 is actually a good shooter, whereas ME2 isn't.
  • Mr_Sleep 6 Apr 2013 16:54:02 17,365 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Indeed, the only game I have bought at launch in recent time is Ni No Kuni. I fear that the game industry has no conception of the long tail. I also think that Steam's sales, though great, are going the way of DVD sales in that they make the product far too cheap and thus it loses it's intrinsic value. You'd have thought they'd have learned from the epic failure of the high street and the manufacturers in this regard.

You are a factory of sadness.

• RobTheBuilder 6 Apr 2013 16:55:56 6,521 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Pepsipop so maybe the fundamental basis of large game creation is flawed. There just isn't room for so many expensively produced games, and what the market needs is more mid-priced games that fulfil more diverse styles?
  • RobTheBuilder 6 Apr 2013 16:57:45 6,521 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Mr_Sleep it's mass market crash scenario. The product gets cheaper as more and more people come into the market. When that number stops growing and even contracts you find that all those left in the market are solidly used to the lower prices.
  • King_Edward 6 Apr 2013 17:00:38 11,471 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    TheMilkman wrote:

If they had just expanded what they had started in the first then it would've been better than turning it into a shooter.
    They did. They took the first game, which was already a sci-fi shooter with some RPG elements, and then expanded it into a better shooter. Then they did it again with ME3.

Personally I think Mass Effect as a series is brilliant. One of the only AAA mega franchises spawned this generation that actually deserves all the hype it gets. Even if it did have a shit ending.
  • Syrette 6 Apr 2013 17:02:07 44,208 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    TheMilkman wrote:
    The Mako was good, it was the planets that where shit. The planet scanning was just downright terrible though.

If they had just expanded what they had started in the first then it would've been better than turning it into a shooter. IMO the 2nd one is the worst one. I actually liked ME 3 more despite the shite fetch quests in that. It had already turned into a shooter by then and ME3 is actually a good shooter, whereas ME2 isn't.
    ME1 was just as much of a shooter as its sequels. Just because they streamlined a few of the RPG elements (mainly the inventory - not a bad thing in my opinion, much improved with ME3) doesn't change the fact that 1 was very heavily combat-focused, with similar action to its sequels. 1 wasn't this massively in depth RPG tbh.

And even if 2 and 3 were more third person shooters than 1 - perhaps people could enjoy them for what they are, not what they're not? :)

• thedaveeyres 6 Apr 2013 17:03:59 11,584 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The first Mass Effect was ace, the second one fucking appalling. I've got the third but haven't managed to face playing it yet.

Edited by thedaveeyres at 17:04:35 06-04-2013

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• drip 6 Apr 2013 17:04:17 4,644 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    We pay less for games than 20 years ago, but we buy them in much greater numbers.

If we don't like anything that doesn't work like we expect it first time, I wonder why there's this massive rise of original indie games in recent years.

I tend to agree with Raiko101, I'm afraid most console owners want something on their widescreen telly that's similar to the movies they're watching.
  • Syrette 6 Apr 2013 17:08:49 44,208 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    thedaveeyres wrote:
    The first Mass Effect was ace, the second one fucking appalling.
    Same reasons as Strangelove?

I'm not trying to be antagonistic but I just don't get how one can get so highly praised over the other. I don't think they're that different, and if they are then part of me feels 2/3 get so criticised because they're not like 1 in some ways, instead of being viewed as their own entities.

• Deleted user 6 April 2013 17:09:16
    I played 40 minutes of Mass Effect 1 but turned it off In disgust because of how shonky it was.
  • disusedgenius 6 Apr 2013 17:09:19 5,613 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    If we don't like anything that doesn't work like we expect it first time, I wonder why there's this massive rise of original indie games in recent years.
    A massive rise from a pretty low base, though. It seems like a much bigger issue with mid-range games which are just slightly odd rather than the much more obviously different (and cheaper) indie games.
  • Matt36 6 Apr 2013 17:09:57 1,477 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    My unpopular opinion;

I don't like Shenmue or care for a 3rd...
  • Deleted user 6 April 2013 17:13:51
    @RobTheBuilder or sell them in smaller doses.
    Walking dead series, half life episodes (if they bothered).

It is why remedy now developing smaller games. After max Payne 2 and Alan wake didn't sell as it should they have focused on shorter games like Alan wake American nightmare and a unannounced project they currently developing.

American nightmare sold something like 200,000 I believe. Maybe 100,000 of those were at 10 a piece so overall perhaps 1.5 million in cash and it wouldn't have cost remedy much to create it and it was done in around a year instead of the five it took to develop Alan wAke (admittedly they created the engine and re designed the game in that time).
  • Steve_Perry 6 Apr 2013 17:15:46 5,200 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I think Alan Wake being tedious and over-hyped didn't help.
  • Darth_Flibble 6 Apr 2013 17:16:06 1,774 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mass effect 1 just needed better planets to explore (which would make the mako sections better) and the inventory fixed. But bioware under EA made into a more of corridor shooter because there is gamers who want every game to be FPS or cover based 3rd person shooter. They no doubt took 5 seconds with X-com: enemy unknown before smashing the disc up in a rage because its not a FPS or run and gun 3rd person shooter.

ME1 had a balance of shooter and RPG elements, instead of fixing any problems, the baby goes out with the bath water
  • Dirtbox 6 Apr 2013 17:21:16 79,172 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The thing I hated about Mass Effect was that it tried to rush you about constantly with a massive sense of urgency, leaving you to think that you could get back to taking your time over some thorough exploration later, but nope, suddenly end boss and game over with no way to fuck off and do your own thing afterwards.

Bullshit.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Stranded87 6 Apr 2013 17:24:27 1,003 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Graveland wrote:
    Telltale's The Walking Dead is VASTLY overrated shite. Heavy Rain is leagues ahead.
    I have no idea how you can love heavy rain but hate walking dead and love ME1 but hate ME2. They're ultimately quite similar, not to mention all being great games preferences aside.
  • _Price_ 6 Apr 2013 17:32:56 3,072 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    disusedgenius wrote:
    ME1 wasn't even a particularly good RPG. It was just a solid Action Adventurer with one of the best realised sci-fi worlds out there, which was the one area ME2 failed to get as right.
    This is what did it for me. ME felt like a game with RPG and action elements revolving around a grand, galaxy-spanning adventure. ME2 tightened-up the action but lost that sense of scale and well.... soul (yes, I know: blah, blah, blah).

Both are fantastic AAA titles but I much preferred the ride that Mass Effect provided compared it its sequel. It's telling that ME2 was a Day 1 purchase whereas I've yet to bother with ME3, even this far down the line.
  • King_Edward 6 Apr 2013 17:38:15 11,471 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Darth_Flibble wrote:
    Mass effect 1 just needed better planets to explore (which would make the mako sections better) and the inventory fixed. But bioware under EA made into a more of corridor shooter because there is gamers who want every game to be FPS or cover based 3rd person shooter. They no doubt took 5 seconds with X-com: enemy unknown before smashing the disc up in a rage because its not a FPS or run and gun 3rd person shooter.

ME1 had a balance of shooter and RPG elements, instead of fixing any problems, the baby goes out with the bath water
    It was already a corridor shooter though. People only ever thought it was an RPG because Bioware made it, and couldn't get their heads around them not making an RPG, So it was just easier to pretend.
  • drip 6 Apr 2013 17:43:55 4,644 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Sorry for being distracted from the actual topic of this thread, which is Mass Effect 2.

ME1 didn't have "proper" exploration, but the Mako basics were good. It was repetitive, but just needed fleshing out. It also didn't have proper combat, it needed better mechanics and less repetition too. It wasn't a "real" RPG either, but it had the elements, like exploration, levelling, equipment, and looting. Nothing of it was perfect, but it worked fairly well.

ME2 removed any exploration, anything that's RPG about it was either removed or crippled to insignificance, and while the combat mechanics were improved, they streamlined it so much that it's always exactly the same fights with different graphics. ME1 could be quite repetitive (RPGs tend to be anyway), but ME2 was only repetition. And while ME1 had corridors with sometimes wider and more open spaces, ME2 has nothing of the sort. They massively turned down the scale.

And I think the biggest problem is that in ME1, I felt a connection between the story/cinematics and the gameplay. For all its faults, thanks to some diversity in what you were doing it was somewhat organic and felt like it had a purpose.

ME2 was story, tight shooting level, story, tight shooting level, and so on. You always knew what would follow was next tight shooting level. I quickly found it hard to care anymore.
  • Syrette 6 Apr 2013 17:56:59 44,208 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Stranded87 wrote:
    Graveland wrote:
    Telltale's The Walking Dead is VASTLY overrated shite. Heavy Rain is leagues ahead.
    I have no idea how you can love heavy rain but hate walking dead
    This... unless he merely prefers the narrative in one that much over the other.

• OmniaVincitAmor 6 Apr 2013 18:02:13 1,587 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Bayonetta is one of the most overrated games of modern times.

Defeat is not getting knocked down, but refusing to get back up.

• RobTheBuilder 6 Apr 2013 18:13:54 6,521 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @OmniaVincitAmor totally wrong. The most fun and fluid combat I've ever played in a game of its type. Played it through on all different settings.

Absolutely a minimum 9/10. I'd say a 10.
  • Page

of 135 First / Last