Unpopular gaming opinions Page 58

• Page

of 132 First / Last

• Gland 1 Apr 2013 13:09:04 78,442 posts
    Seen 16 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The first Witcher was immensely tedious.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• StarchildHypocrethes 1 Apr 2013 13:14:38 26,138 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I didn't think much more of the second one to be honest.
  • joeymoto108 1 Apr 2013 13:19:13 650 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Witcher 2's controls are downright hideous.

'Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?'

• M83J01P97 1 Apr 2013 13:26:58 6,668 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The story and lore was overly complex as well, at least in the second. I hate games (and tv/films come to think of it) that claim to not be 'dumbing down' by just throwing lots of made up names and ideas at you without fully explaining them and expecting you to keep up.
  • bad09 1 Apr 2013 13:29:54 6,005 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    The first Witcher was immensely tedious.
    I don't that is much of a "unpopular" opinion, most folk says it's a bore for the first couple of chapters :)
  • Mr-Brett 1 Apr 2013 13:37:09 12,822 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It appears that's it's a less unpopular opinion than I thought.

Level 37 Social Justice Warrior

• wizbob 1 Apr 2013 13:37:17 781 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    Nearly all Nintendo games feel soulless to me.

I think it's something to do with the lack of plots, characterisation and voice work.

If Mario had some sort of character that made me relate even slightly or gave me some reason for doing stuff I would probably like it more. Intellectually I understand that they have a gameplay only philosophy and don't want to distract from that, but emotionally that just bores me.
    Are you by any chance a cowardly plumber? Because he has a brother you might forge a connection with.
  • dsmx 1 Apr 2013 13:44:27 7,648 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I agree with ryan can't stand nintendo games for pretty much the same reasons, every now and then I give them a go and once again I get about 4 levels in and get bored because I really can't see any reason why I need to do anything in the game.

To me there never feels like a compelling reason to do anything in nintendo titles and I don't care about any of the characters in the game anyway because they have no personality, they may as well stick up cardboard cutouts in their place because I'd have the same level of attachment to them.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• DFawkes 1 Apr 2013 13:48:51 23,316 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I really felt that they did pretty well with Pit in Kid Icarus: Uprising. Really colourful and well characterised, with an optimistic outlook that contrasted quite well with the world around him. Plus the script is one of Nintendo's best, with lots of humour, in-jokes and a good supporting cast.

I do appreciate it's the exception rather than the rule, but at least it shows they do have the talent there when they need it :)

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• ComradePete 1 Apr 2013 13:49:21 492 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    Nearly all Nintendo games feel soulless to me.

I think it's something to do with the lack of plots, characterisation and voice work.

If Mario had some sort of character that made me relate even slightly or gave me some reason for doing stuff I would probably like it more. Intellectually I understand that they have a gameplay only philosophy and don't want to distract from that, but emotionally that just bores me.
    It this some sort of 'method' style of gaming where you have to relate to the character to enjoy it?

Hmmm - what's my motivation for jumping on that koopa....
  • Mr-Brett 1 Apr 2013 13:49:28 12,822 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm the same, at least with Mario games. I can get into a Zelda game but having played a couple I don't feel much need to play more.

I've never really understood why I didn't get on with most Nintendo games though since they usually have high production values and pretty solid mechanics. I kinda assumed that not having nostalgia for NES/SNES Nintendo was a big part of it but I'm not sure.

• Deleted user 1 April 2013 13:55:50
    Same re Mario. Completely soulless and superficial.
  • DFawkes 1 Apr 2013 13:59:14 23,316 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You know you're doing it wrong if everyone just agrees. Wrong thread for such reckless mutual agreement on things.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Mola_Ram 1 Apr 2013 14:02:57 7,672 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I disagree. I, for one, felt immense pathos at the end of World 1-4 of Super Mario Bros.

"Your princess is in another castle"

What an amazingly apt metaphor for life. Why, in a way, aren't all of our "princesses" (hopes, desires) just out of our grasp? Mario may never reach his "castle" - what hope do we have? Such a splendid rumination on the transience of existence itself.
  • King_Edward 1 Apr 2013 14:11:29 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    You've totally misread Mario. The castle is a vagina, and the princess is your penis. It's a metaphor for adultery.
  • DFawkes 1 Apr 2013 14:11:41 23,316 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    For goodness sake, Mario IS the castle, repeatedly making the journey inside his own soul to see if he can finally find that part of him that is capable of love, but again and again finding out there's nothing but hurt. Not only that, but every time he feels a part of himself slipping away, he has to sit and watch his brother do exactly the same thing.

And also he hates turtle. Seriously, screw them.

• alexm 1 Apr 2013 14:27:44 282 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Bioshock games are very pretty and tell okayish stories but they never seem to have any heart and the gameplay is poo.
  • Deleted user 1 April 2013 14:33:50
    Bioshock 1 graphics were wank imo. Even on the PC, textures seemed blurry.
  • Deleted user 1 April 2013 14:51:57
    I did; had a ps3 at the time. Tbh, I never had too much of a problem with bad performing ports on the PS3. Fallout 3 was another that was supposed to be bad.

I think, unlike with the PC, it's curiously liberating when there is fuck all you can do about poor performance.

The PC, great as it is, does my head in at times when you have to frig about with tweaking variables.

Edited by bitch_tits_zero_nine at 14:52:44 01-04-2013
  • DFawkes 1 Apr 2013 14:53:35 23,316 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I had the PS3 one, it really wasn't all that bad. Definitely not so bad you'd think it was last gen looking, that's just silly. Still more than playable, and visually similar to 360. Certainly close enough that you'd be hard pushed to see a difference unless they were side-by-side. Mandatory install was the thing I didn't like.

• Gland 1 Apr 2013 14:53:38 78,442 posts
    Seen 16 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    It appears that's it's a less unpopular opinion than I thought.
    You're not right about witcher 2 though, it was spiffing.

• Mr-Brett 1 Apr 2013 15:01:45 12,822 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh thank goodness, I was beginning to feel that I didn't have any unpopular opinions. I might re-install it and give it another try at some point, if nothing else to at least try and understand why I don't like it.

• Gland 1 Apr 2013 15:04:30 78,442 posts
    Seen 16 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    So long as you don't play it with a pad, it's good, it's not designed for that shite.

• PazJohnMitch 1 Apr 2013 15:11:05 8,314 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    For goodness sake, Mario IS the castle, repeatedly making the journey inside his own soul to see if he can finally find that part of him that is capable of love, but again and again finding out there's nothing but hurt. Not only that, but every time he feels a part of himself slipping away, he has to sit and watch his brother do exactly the same thing.

And also he hates turtle. Seriously, screw them.
    I may be wrong but I think your interpretation is pretty close to the story page at the start of Braid.
  • joeymoto108 1 Apr 2013 15:22:58 650 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    I disagree. I, for one, felt immense pathos at the end of World 1-4 of Super Mario Bros.

What an amazingly apt metaphor for life. Why, in a way, aren't all of our "princesses" (hopes, desires) just out of our grasp? Mario may never reach his "castle" - what hope do we have? Such a splendid rumination on the transience of existence itself.
    Sounds like something Edge would write.

'Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?'

• ComradePete 1 Apr 2013 16:03:06 492 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:

Indeed. Mario as an existential hero, his relentless cheeriness & breezy optimism an absurd reaction against the impossibility of his task.

/strokes beard
  • RobTheBuilder 1 Apr 2013 16:32:12 6,521 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @DarkSpaceDS me neither particularly, but once you get past the slog and start to feel part of the world it's very very immersive.
  • Mr_Sleep 1 Apr 2013 17:23:13 17,181 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    So long as you don't play it with a pad, it's good, it's not designed for that shite.
    I only played Witcher 2 with a pad and I thought it worked fine.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Page

of 132 First / Last