Unpopular gaming opinions Page 49

• Page

of 132 First / Last

• bad09 11 Jan 2013 09:21:36 5,783 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:

I believe there are lots of Sega fanboys on EG, and this needs to be settled. Once and for all. (it's not like the Sega fanboys would have any chance)
    Ah I see....but that's still not an "unpopular" opinion just fanboy wars :)
  • Dr_Mech 11 Jan 2013 09:32:53 1,018 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Probably already been done but with the amount of hate the COD series seems to get around the interwebs

I can see the appeal of Call of Duty game series...I don't like them myself but I can see why people play them.

However I have always wondered why they don't just just go full multiplayer like Unreal Tournament/Quake 3 Arena, do people really buy COD games for the single player experience?
  • andytheadequate 11 Jan 2013 09:40:34 8,113 posts
    Seen 6 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Dr_Mech wrote:
    Probably already been done but with the amount of hate the COD series seems to get around the interwebs

I can see the appeal of Call of Duty game series...I don't like them myself but I can see why people play them.

However I have always wondered why they don't just just go full multiplayer like Unreal Tournament/Quake 3 Arena, do people really buy COD games for the single player experience?
    Yep, I think some people still do. And most people I know who only play cod enjoy playing the campaign as well
  • bad09 11 Jan 2013 09:43:20 5,783 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I play the COD single player, some of them have been really fun. Whack a mole type FPS with those awful respawning enemies sections for sure but still fun for the most part. Zombie mode was a fun diversion to in the Treyarch ones.

I haven't bought the last couple anyway but I know I don't think I would bother with a MP only COD.

Edited by bad09 at 09:43:39 11-01-2013
  • Shikasama 11 Jan 2013 09:47:59 6,749 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I hate the Assassins Creed franchise. I hate the way the story and it's vaunted 'twists' are very blatantly there to drag out the franchise and justify yearly iterations. I hate the controls, I hate the one button one kill combat, I hate the AI, I hate the platforming and I hate that you do approximately the same amount of 'assassination' as you do in any other 3rd person Action game you care to name.

People tend to disagree with me on this particular opinion quite a bit!
  • nickthegun 11 Jan 2013 09:59:14 59,428 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    How many of them have you played?

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Dr_Mech 11 Jan 2013 10:02:31 1,018 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Fair play then, thought it was mostly multiplayer for COD but if you enjoy the singleplayer game, more power to you.
  • Shikasama 11 Jan 2013 10:03:08 6,749 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    AC2 and AC:B. I have no idea why I wasted money on AC:B after really disliking AC2.
  • nickthegun 11 Jan 2013 10:07:28 59,428 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You'll be glad to know they got worse after the ones you played.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• andytheadequate 11 Jan 2013 10:18:55 8,113 posts
    Seen 6 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    My problem with assassins creed is the lack of stealth. You sneak in, undetected, and kill your target, and then you cradle him as he dies so all his guards start chasing you. Queue Benny Hill music as you run away and hide.

I quote enjoyed 2 but it seems a waste of a really interesting world and the mechanics that they have
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 11 Jan 2013 10:21:40 6,654 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    You neanderthals just hate it cos it was produced by a woman
  • Sharzam 11 Jan 2013 10:23:52 2,832 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I liked AC 1 and 2, the first game felt more about exploring and 2 felt stealthy. However along came brotherhood which to me was a mini game collection with action bits. No setting up kills and planning just run in and sword fight.

Brotherhood was the last one I played as a result.

Known as 'Sharzam' in 98.5% of games

• heyyo 11 Jan 2013 10:24:20 14,373 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    bad09 wrote:
    I play the COD single player, some of them have been really fun. Whack a mole type FPS with those awful respawning enemies sections for sure but still fun for the most part. Zombie mode was a fun diversion to in the Treyarch ones.

I haven't bought the last couple anyway but I know I don't think I would bother with a MP only COD.
    I agree - i'm currently playing through MW2's SP after pining for MP but finding an online lobby is increasingly difficult. The (console) graphics are gorgeous and the framerate is solid, it's a lot better than BF3's SP.
  • bad09 11 Jan 2013 11:54:14 5,783 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @heyyo

Yeah I know cool kids hate on COD but whatever your view on year updates, DLC, high pricing all the other problems with the series they are good games and the single players always has a least a couple of great levels and set pieces.

Fuck it I might whack on a COD to tonight haven't played one in while :)
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 11 Jan 2013 12:02:05 6,654 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeah I like cod single player. Black Ops 2 seems to hold your hand too much for me though. Only played a bit to be fair.

It's still a good videogame though imo.
  • Mr-Brett 11 Jan 2013 12:10:11 12,760 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The problem with CoD singleplayer is that in every version since 4 the environments change a bit and the story gets increasingly confusing and dumb but otherwise it's almost identical. It's far from the only franchise to be guilty of it but perhaps shows up more because of the annual releases.

I liked 4, thought WaW and MW2 were alright, got bored of BLOPS after about 3 levels, got bored of MW3 after about 1 level, didn't bother with BLOPS2.

Portable view - Never forget.

• joeymoto108 11 Jan 2013 13:05:57 641 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I also hate the AC series. It's possibly the worst AAA series there is; dull as fuck repetitive gameplay, absolute shit writing and is padded out just for the purpose of yearly installments.

As for another unpopular opinion, Valve are extremely overrated. They're a decent solid developer at best.

'Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?'

• King_Edward 11 Jan 2013 13:15:10 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I don't like AC either. It's like Hitman, but you always get caught, and you walk to each area. Meh.
  • andytheadequate 11 Jan 2013 13:15:41 8,113 posts
    Seen 6 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I don't hate AC, but the story is utterly dreadful. Same with Halo
  • DFawkes 11 Jan 2013 13:44:31 22,785 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I thought Brotherhood was great for those wanting proper assassinations, there were lots of them. I spent many hours planning and executing them, including one that had the target so well guarded it took a good few goes to get the mixture of distraction, movement and execution right.

That was probably side missions though, I can't remember. That gameplay was definitely there for those that wanted it though :) Now I think about it, it seems a bit misguided hiding that in side missions in a game that has Assassins in the title.

I do love the series. Even the first, which I'm fairly sure is the unpopular opinion.

Edited by DFawkes at 13:57:29 11-01-2013

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• bad09 11 Jan 2013 13:54:35 5,783 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    AC is a funny one for me I adore the first one but do understand the complaints aimed at it. On the other hand I didn't really enjoy the one everyone else thinks is better (AC2) and thought Brotherhood was one of the most faceless and pointless "sequels" in recent times, even COD set itself apart each year and I don't think AC:B did. Didn't bother with the revelations.

Not played that much of 3 yet but people seem to hate that one but again I seem to be enjoying it. Go figure
  • UncleLou Moderator 11 Jan 2013 14:05:01 35,506 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'd love to like the AC games, but never managed to. There's so much good stuff in there - the world-building, the fluid movement, the basic idea of playing a "historical assassin", even the writing (the dialogues, not the plot as such), but it's all over-shadowed by the stilted meta-plot, the formulaic and "gamey" structure, the boring assassinations, the shallow combat system.

The whole series is, for me, frustrating because it's just such a wasted opportunity.
  • Shikasama 11 Jan 2013 15:00:15 6,749 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Apparently my opinion isn't so unpopular then, I feel like I've shamed the thread.
  • DrStrangelove 12 Jan 2013 02:22:49 3,692 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @bad09

Yes me too. I liked AC1 because it was new and I liked the setting, although the actual game wasn't that good.

AC2 just bored me to death, I really disliked the characters and hated the cutscenes, and after that I didn't play any AC again. And I don't think I will ever again, I don't feel like I'm missing anything.
  • muttler 12 Jan 2013 09:40:21 3,984 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I loved AC1, played it loads.  The rest bore me though, only bothered to finish AC2 for the achievements and just to say I've done it.  I'm going to trade ACB in today having barely played it.

I really like the Call of Duty campaigns (only the IW ones), always play through multiple times.

I love fighting games but I don't like the Street Fighter series.

I really liked Rebellions recent AvP game.
  • bad09 12 Jan 2013 09:44:13 5,783 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @DrStrangelove

Exactly the same for me. I would say try AC3 once it's really cheap though, AC2 bored me to (I think it was the setting and the really awful Ezio) but so far AC3 has been quite cool for me, great setting and there certainly is that "wow" factor I got from the first one.

It's still full of terrible filler missions like climb up this building, look around and jump off again but like first one it's all about the atmosphere and setting and the enjoyment is from there.
  • bad09 12 Jan 2013 09:46:27 5,783 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    muttler wrote:

I really liked Rebellions recent AvP game.
    Haha good one, you know I love it to. The campaigns were fun and while it had players I enjoyed the MP to, still have it installed now.
  • PazJohnMitch 13 Jan 2013 11:36:48 8,000 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mortal Kombat 9 is far, far better than Street Fighter 4.

Street Fighter had nothing for the single player and online was just fights against the same 3 fighters. Oh Ken, Ryu or Akuma again, what a surprise!

Not enjoyed a fighter as much as MK on Vita since the first Soul Calibur.
  • DrStrangelove 14 Jan 2013 08:26:20 3,692 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The Wiimote was the crappiest controller since the Power Glove.
  • gelf 14 Jan 2013 08:38:48 188 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    Mortal Kombat 9 is far, far better than Street Fighter 4.

Street Fighter had nothing for the single player and online was just fights against the same 3 fighters. Oh Ken, Ryu or Akuma again, what a surprise!

Not enjoyed a fighter as much as MK on Vita since the first Soul Calibur.
    This gen has really been bare with single player modes in fighting games. Devs seem to think an online mode negates the need for them. Mortal Kombat deserves credit for bucking that trend.
  • Page

of 132 First / Last