Unpopular gaming opinions Page 5

• Page

of 124 First / Last

• Syrette 23 Dec 2012 21:20:37 41,823 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Editing the angry bits out of posts then pretending you weren't angry works much better if you're not quoted first.
    You're really in the mood tonight aren't you, kalel?

Things don't have to be so black and white, someone calling someone tedious doesn't mean the person is "angry". Just didn't see what his point was outside of being argumentative. I didn't say the guy's opinions were right or wrong.

Edited that out because it's pointless getting personal about people on the internet that you don't know and it was silly of me to bite.

I'll leave it at that if it's alright with you?

• jimlufc 23 Dec 2012 21:21:52 116 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The Wii was a great console and had far more good games than either the GameCube or the N64.
  • kalel 23 Dec 2012 21:22:36 83,875 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    Editing the angry bits out of posts then pretending you weren't angry works much better if you're not quoted first.
    You're really in the mood tonight aren't you, kalel?

Things don't have to be so black and white, someone calling someone tedious doesn't mean the person is "angry". Just didn't see what his point was outside of being argumentative. I didn't say the guy's opinions were right or wrong.

Edited that out because it's pointless getting personal about people on the internet that you don't know and it was silly of me to bite.

I'll leave it at that if it's alright with you?
    Yes, my mistake, you're clearly a model of serenity.
  • Cosmopolitan 23 Dec 2012 21:23:45 1,891 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Apple and their App Store are the biggest contribution to gaming.
    Mobile games are actually not that bad and there are some real gems there.
    Free to play is fun and will become the main source of income for devs in the near future.

The Master of Unlocking.

• cubbymoore 23 Dec 2012 21:25:33 36,441 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    LALALALALALALALALALALALALAstoparguingmummydaddyLALALALALALALALALALA
  • gelf 23 Dec 2012 21:26:45 184 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The current trend to make sequels more open world makes the games worse most of the time.

Open world in general is overrated as the worlds tend to feel empty and devoid of character and are full of time filler as you boringly have to traverse large distances.
  • oceanmotion 23 Dec 2012 21:29:05 15,243 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Like what?

I can't think of anything other than on rails cinematic experience over open world.
  • Syrette 23 Dec 2012 21:34:05 41,823 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    gelf wrote:
    The current trend to make sequels more open world makes the games worse most of the time.

Open world in general is overrated as the worlds tend to feel empty and devoid of character and are full of time filler as you boringly have to traverse large distances.
    There's a time and a place for open worlds.

LA Noire for instance. I don't think that especially benefited from having an open world. Outside of having landmark locations, collectables (those cars...) and samey side missions it was pretty redundant. Mafia 1 and 2 were a similar story. Driving slow cars to mission start points was a bit of a chore.

On the other hand games like Sleeping Dogs, GTA and Saints Row wouldn't be the same if they were more linear.

I don't have a problem with smaller contained little worlds (sort of like the Batman games). The smaller budgeted open worlders are far too empty and souless and full of filler like you say.

I also prefer my racers to not bother with an open world, up until Forza Horizon at least which gave the player plenty to do whilst travelling between events (including being able to find fast travel points should you want to cut down on the traversing). I didn't like Burnout Paradise as much as I might have as I felt a bit overwhelmed with how much there was to do, I wanted some structure that couldn't really be afforded by setting it in an open world. But on the other hand, it was this that captivated so many people.

Edited by Syrette at 21:35:57 23-12-2012

• Stranded87 23 Dec 2012 21:36:19 768 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    @Waffleaber wrong. Correct principle (psone hera had dated very quickly) but does not cover everything.
    Of course you don't agree. I disagree with most of what's been posted here, as I'm sure most people disagree with my comments. That's almost the point.
  • Paulie_P 23 Dec 2012 21:42:32 395 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Gary Glitters back catalogue should be added to rockband and singstar. I'd snap them up straight away!
  • nickthegun 23 Dec 2012 21:44:27 55,849 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Syrette 23 Dec 2012 21:46:08 41,823 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Rollercoaster Tycoon is the best PC game ever made.

• gelf 23 Dec 2012 21:49:01 184 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    I don't have a problem with smaller contained little worlds (sort of like the Batman games). The smaller budgeted open worlders are far too empty and souless and full of filler like you say.

I don't have a problem with a more contained world, I wouldn't even call them open world. Batman is a good example actually as I think the expanse into City made the game worse then Asylum (even though City did many things better like boss fights).
  • King_Edward 23 Dec 2012 21:49:20 11,454 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Keycard puzzles where great, and should make a return in place of magic map markers.
  • Fatiguez 23 Dec 2012 21:53:34 8,655 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Back on topic: I actually like linear games. I think open-worldness is overused, and only belongs in a pretty small portion of games. Bring back hardware limitations!

oh everyone else already said this, whatever

Edited by Fatiguez at 21:56:28 23-12-2012
  • Rajin 23 Dec 2012 21:56:03 580 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Nearly every boss in Dark Souls is terribly designed compared to Demon souls.

Bastion isn't nearly as amazing as some make it out to be.

Edited by Rajin at 21:58:26 23-12-2012
  • CharlieStCloud 23 Dec 2012 21:59:59 4,671 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I think Angry Birds, especially the new-ish Star Wars one, is rather good fun!

GameCube was the last 'pure' games console ... and I truly feel that it is a great shame they are striving to become an all-in-one entertainment/media system nowadays.

XBLA is the best thing that has happened to games in the past seven years; could go without buying a single full retail game to be honest!

Peppa Pig is brilliant.
  • nickthegun 23 Dec 2012 22:07:14 55,849 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Most of the indie stuff everyone has been wanking over for the last few years are basically just amiga games we were playing 20 years ago.

Stuff like limbo is just another world in one colour.

He totally called it

• RobTheBuilder 23 Dec 2012 22:10:15 6,521 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @nickthegun is that a criticism, or maybe a reason?
  • nickthegun 23 Dec 2012 22:11:22 55,849 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    A reason for what?

He totally called it

• DUFFMAN5 23 Dec 2012 22:14:47 13,806 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Raison d'Ítre

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• jonsaan 23 Dec 2012 22:15:06 25,249 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @nickthegun I was playing Limbo for the first time today and thought that exact same thing. Still fucking good though!

FCUTA!

• ED209 23 Dec 2012 22:22:18 505 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    Rollercoaster Tycoon is the best PC game ever made.
    OpenTTD with ECS mods is the best of any game ever made.

heyyo wrote:
    Minecraft is boring & people force themselves to have 'fun' playing it to appear intellectual.
    Minecraft is an excellent distraction for several hours where the only real restriction imposed upon progress is one's own intellect, and those with inferior intellects dispute this with some random crywank objection.

cubbymoore wrote:
    You know what I'm looking forward to, a trampoline peripheral.
    The best exercise game/peripheral combination to ever exist is the Wii game "Walk it Out" and a bog standard Mini-Trampoline (trampette) from Argos.

Faster Than Light (FTL) surpasses all other games released since GTA VC in terms of addictiveness, flexibility and actual fun.

Samantha Janus?

• Mr_Sleep 23 Dec 2012 22:22:23 16,247 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    gelf wrote:

See the most recent Assassins Creed for a perfect example. Tooling around Florence was great as it was a small city with lots to see and do. Running over a mile to get from one average mission to the next is sucking the fun out of AC3. Seriously, I'm struggling. The game world is fucking huge and it hurts the game a lot.

Also see Batman AA vs AC, AA was a nice funneled experience with a tiny smattering of open world, AC was much bigger and felt pretty soulless with it.

Edit: Ah, I said much the same as others.

Edited by Mr_Sleep at 22:24:01 23-12-2012

You are a factory of sadness.

• Deleted user 23 December 2012 22:24:36
    Once you've been through one Steam sale then following ones aren't very exciting at all.

Even at knockdown prices, fuck all of the games on offer are worth a shit and newer stuff usually only has the guts of a fiver knocked of it so it can be gotten cheaper bricks and mortar, Amazon, a CD key seller or just on some other DD website.
  • RobTheBuilder 23 Dec 2012 22:30:31 6,521 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @nickthegun the reason everyone loves them so much, is it perhaps because of their close similarity to Amiga games.
  • jonsaan 23 Dec 2012 22:32:02 25,249 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fifa has become a really bad video game. Lacking any real fun whatsoever. It's so realistic that it has become as unspectacular as real life football.
    No doubt, like in real life, the odd match is awesome, but on the whole it's fecking dull.

FCUTA!

• RedSparrows 23 Dec 2012 22:33:02 20,754 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Syrette loses the thread.

Repeat after me; someone else's opinion doesn't impact my own.
    Well, technically it can.

But more relevant to this thread is: this thread is shite, and turns me right off EG. I don't give two fucking fucks about your unpopular opinions, and the same for you, no doubt.
  • Maturin 23 Dec 2012 22:33:06 2,732 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    jonsaan wrote:
    Fifa has become a really bad video game. Lacking any real fun whatsoever. It's so realistic that it has become as unspectacular as real life football.
    No doubt, like in real life, the odd match is awesome, but on the whole it's fecking dull.
    I think I might agree. FIFA is now the game I've always wanted it to be. And I've discovered what I wanted was wrong.
  • Mr_Sleep 23 Dec 2012 22:33:10 16,247 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    jonsaan wrote:
    There is certainly an element of that, the one point I'd counter that with is the online teams which can be great fun.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Page

of 124 First / Last