Unpopular gaming opinions Page 40

• Page

of 139 First / Last

• UncleLou Moderator 4 Jan 2013 10:11:11 35,856 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @jonsaan Interesting - I've only ever played the first two (and on the PC) - I *loved* the first one, and thought the second one was - without exaggerating - terrible. I never completed it. I thought it looked like arse, and had none of the great level design and dynamic encounters the first one had.
  • sport 4 Jan 2013 10:13:48 12,813 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Dark Souls is too fucking hard. I no longer have time to play the same section of a game 47 fucking times to pass it. I hope the next one is considerably easier, not only because I'll enjoy it more, but also just for the nerd rage. Also make it a cover shooter.
    Mate, I luv ya, but if the next DS is easier to accommodate "noobs", I'll personally stick my Balder Side Sword in your Talisman!
  • jonsaan 4 Jan 2013 10:14:12 25,440 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @UncleLou I played the first one on XBox. And (not sure of my game version memory) I think I came to it on XBox after being into Quake 3 and Unreall tournament on PC. So it struck me as a bit awful on a technical level.

Edited by jonsaan at 10:14:55 04-01-2013

FCUTA!

• Deleted user 4 January 2013 10:16:02
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Dark Souls is too fucking hard. I no longer have time to play the same section of a game 47 fucking times to pass it. I hope the next one is considerably easier, not only because I'll enjoy it more, but also just for the nerd rage. Also make it a cover shooter.
    I agree tbh. Never made it past the first grinding spot. I got twenty hours of gameplay just levelling. Wether that constitutes value for money fuck knows.
  • sport 4 Jan 2013 10:19:26 12,813 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    bitch_tits_zero_nine wrote:
    I agree tbh. Never made it past the first grinding spot. I got twenty hours of gameplay just levelling. Wether that constitutes value for money fuck knows.
    What's the first grinding spot?
  • Deleted user 4 January 2013 10:28:23
    I was trying to remember tbh. Past the first boss, up the side of the cliff, past the entrance to the first shop seller;

There is a stretch of enemies, it might be called something village, or town.

There is a bonfire, then a several parapets (sp?).

It's about twenty minutes of gameplay, before the level forks off into two choices, one, lower, there is a big knight that batters you; the other option is to follow the path up to the left, where there is a white light doorway which leads to a bridge and a boss fight?

Any bells?
  • spamdangled 4 Jan 2013 10:29:17 27,485 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I was trying to remember tbh. Past the first boss, up the side of the cliff, past the entrance to the first shop seller;

There is a stretch of enemies, it might be called something village, or town.

There is a bonfire, then a several parapets (sp?).

It's about twenty minutes of gameplay, before the level forks off into two choices, one, lower, there is a big knight that batters you; the other option is to follow the path up to the left, where there is a white light doorway which leads to a bridge and a boss fight?

Any bells?
    Sounds like Undead Burg you're describing.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• sport 4 Jan 2013 10:34:47 12,813 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yup, Undead Burg just before the Tauras Demon - utterly smashed me the first few times until you learn he's a pussy against lightning (which you can apply to your weapon)
  • spamdangled 4 Jan 2013 10:35:49 27,485 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Is that the one on the bridge? Just climb up the ladder and do a couple of drop-stabs, he soon goes down.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Deleted user 4 January 2013 10:37:11
    Yeah that rings a bell :D
  • sport 4 Jan 2013 10:41:04 12,813 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah that rings a bell :D
    I posted this in the Dark Souls thread and beware that it obviously contains spoilers but here's someone doing a speedrun of DS without ever levelling up - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu9hZZNEEcY

Obviously they're insanely good but just shows you that grinding isn't entirely necessary.

DS is one of the few games where I don't mind reading the wiki guide for tips as I play.
  • Deleted user 4 January 2013 10:51:02
    I bought the Steam version tbh, so I still own it.

I'm a sucker for games that I consider a subject; much like fighting games with frame counting and the way you can break the mathematics down in them.

I buy them but never have the time or the follow through to actually learn the lore or the mechanics; but Dark Souls is one of the videogames that I admire people that have become good at it.

Like how I know the names of the best Japanese Virtua Fighter players.

Sad fookin bastard really.
  • Darknight 4 Jan 2013 11:05:52 302 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I find the controls in Resident Evil 1-3 great and have never had any problems with them.

In fact, I find the homogenized controls that are the same in every single game now slightly depressing - half the enjoyment that I got out of alot of the PS1 era games were learning the nuances and mastering a new control system.
  • andytheadequate 4 Jan 2013 11:31:34 8,375 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I don't like roguelike games, just don't see their appeal. I've tried a few now and just feel like I'm wasting my time, even if they do have decent mechanics

Edited by andytheadequate at 11:37:45 04-01-2013
  • nickthegun 4 Jan 2013 11:35:09 61,348 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I like rougelike. Goes with my mascaralike.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• andytheadequate 4 Jan 2013 11:39:00 8,375 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    I like rougelike. Goes with my mascaralike.
    I don't know what you're on about...

Ignore the 'edited by andytheadequate' bit :)

Edited by andytheadequate at 11:40:08 04-01-2013
  • PazJohnMitch 4 Jan 2013 11:57:27 8,745 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My thoughts on Halo:

Halo: CE bought an Xbox for it and thought it was amazing. Played through it about 6 times. I do know it has aged badly though.

Halo 2: Huge disappointment only completed it once.

Halo 3: If I was to play any one again this would be the one I would chose now. Finished it 3 times. Best of the series for me.

ODST / Wars: Not played.

Reach: Thought single player was a letdown but still ok. Finished twice. Loved multiplayer.

Halo 4: Dabbled with multiplayer at a friends and thought it was inferior to Reach.
  • PazJohnMitch 4 Jan 2013 11:58:43 8,745 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I also thought the Dark Souls difficulty was spot on for everything except one boss fight.
  • MadCaddy13 4 Jan 2013 12:13:26 2,072 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    That speed play of dark souls has lowered my opinion of it even further. If you can do that on a game then they should fix it IMO.
  • sport 4 Jan 2013 12:14:49 12,813 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    MadCaddy13 wrote:
    That speed play of dark souls has lowered my opinion of it even further. If you can do that on a game then they should fix it IMO.
    Try it yourself - easy peasy!
  • Abdu@EG 4 Jan 2013 12:24:58 18 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    I also thought the Dark Souls difficulty was spot on for everything except one boss fight.
    Dragon Slayer Ornstein and Executioner Smough?
    The Four Kings?

Edited by Abdu@EG at 12:25:53 04-01-2013
  • the_dudefather 4 Jan 2013 12:28:32 9,418 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Capra demon was like a brick wall of difficulty for me only up to Sen's Fortress though and I'm probably terrible at the game

/Enter arena
    /Dog nibbles you 0.2 seconds later
    /Demon murders you within the next second or two
    /Try again

Edited by the_dudefather at 12:29:33 04-01-2013

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• kinky_mong 4 Jan 2013 12:32:53 10,871 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    MadCaddy13 wrote:
    Well they're at it they should fix those warp pipes in Super Mario Bros. What's the point even having World 2,3,5,6 & 7 if you can skip them?!

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• sport 4 Jan 2013 12:36:48 12,813 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kinky_mong wrote:
    MadCaddy13 wrote:
    Well they're at it they should fix those warp pipes in Super Mario Bros. What's the point even having World 2,3,5,6 & 7 if you can skip them?!
    Or fix those ridiculous rocket jump and strafe jumping glitches in Quake that allow ANY gamer to complete it in like 5 minutes.
  • Pumpatron 4 Jan 2013 12:41:44 389 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Regarding Halo.

I've enjoyed all the games to different degrees.

But my biggest disappointment of the series is Halo 3, which is often cited as the best.
    But I found it lacking in level design, story and visuals.

I still enjoyed it, just didn't live up to my expectations.
  • spamdangled 4 Jan 2013 12:47:19 27,485 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    MadCaddy13 wrote:
    Or maybe the guy is just really, really good at the game through extreme practice to a level that most people can only dream of.

• SparkyMarky81 4 Jan 2013 12:47:32 567 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dark Souls isn't that hard. The difficulty is knowing where to go and what to do next, not beating the enemies. I think I have died as many times playing Halo 4 as I have playing Dark Souls.

Just wait for the enemy to attack, block or dodge then return fire! Rinse and repeat.
  • Deleted user 4 January 2013 12:51:50
    Dark souls talk is somehow more boring than WoW talk, probably because WoW is at least an enjoyable game ;)
  • andytheadequate 4 Jan 2013 12:56:13 8,375 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    SparkyMarky81 wrote:
    Dark Souls isn't that hard. The difficulty is knowing where to go and what to do next, not beating the enemies. I think I have died as many times playing Halo 4 as I have playing Dark Souls.

Just wait for the enemy to attack, block or dodge then return fire! Rinse and repeat.
    This is why I don't understand why everyone loves the combat. Waiting for the enemy to attack, block, then hit them back is the basis of nearly every single melee based combat game
  • Page

of 139 First / Last