How playable is "Dark Souls: Prepare to die" without an x360 controller?

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Skirlasvoud 21 Dec 2012 22:38:26 223 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Nearing the holidays, I've begun to consider buying the PC version of Dark Souls and finally find out what all the hubbub is about.

Browsing over the Steam page however, the distributor strongly recommends me also getting an Xbox360 controller. That makes me hesitate again. Dark Souls... let's give it a go. Xbox360 controller, no thanks.

So how badly does the PC Dark Souls need an Xbox360 controller?
    I've played Supermeatboy on the ol' keyboard and mouse and despite McMillen's constant in-game taunts about the superiority of a Gamepad, I beat his creation and had a blast doing it. This just leads me to think that gamepads are just for people with a lack of hand-eye coordination, or Americans with sausage fingers bigger than the "Enter" key.

I've played on the original XBOX and to the best of my memory, there's nothing the thumbsticks do, that can't be handled by WASD and the finesse of the mouse combined.

If I'm wrong, are there any patches that will make the game fall in line with keyboard and mouse?

What are your recomendations?

Edited by Skirlasvoud at 22:43:10 21-12-2012

Edited by Skirlasvoud at 22:54:05 21-12-2012
  • neilka 21 Dec 2012 22:40:48 14,942 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Skirlasvoud wrote:
    What are your recomendations?
    Use an Xbox 360 controller.
  • Moot_Point 21 Dec 2012 22:50:39 3,503 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Holliday?

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I can't believe this is still going. I'm far too hungover for this. I did not poop on a chair lol!

• Skirlasvoud 21 Dec 2012 22:55:35 223 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Moot_Point

Fixed good sir!
  • King_Edward 21 Dec 2012 23:50:52 11,454 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Well I'm pad mashing sob, so my preference would be to go controller, but I can't think of anything in the game that would be overly difficult with a K&M.
  • Dirtbox 21 Dec 2012 23:56:14 76,329 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    All the onscreen instructions for things show pad buttons. It's just about as lazy a port as you could ever hope to see.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Puppaz 23 Dec 2012 00:07:24 303 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It can be played with a kb + mouse, but it will be a bit of a bitch. Still, I doubt it will be impossible, but I'd recommend using some form of controlpad
  • ZuluHero 23 Dec 2012 17:20:14 3,659 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's impossible on a mouse and keyboard. I tried it briefly and cried.

80 hours later and I'm thankful for my 360 pad. It's like a different game on m&k and completely unplayable.

Edited by ZuluHero at 17:20:41 23-12-2012
  • UncleLou Moderator 23 Dec 2012 19:21:30 35,172 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    There's a m/kb mod that makes it playable, but there's one problem: the turning speed of your character depends on your gear. This will *never* work properly with a mouse becaue you'll be out of sync, so to speak, if you move your hand faster than your character can turn.

Get a pad, get Durante's patch, and it's awesome on the PC, with image quality and a consistent frame rate that are far, far beyond the console versions.
  • Pinky_Floyd 24 Dec 2012 14:22:47 6,421 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    There's a m/kb mod that makes it playable, but there's one problem: the turning speed of your character depends on your gear. This will *never* work properly with a mouse becaue you'll be out of sync, so to speak, if you move your hand faster than your character can turn.

Get a pad, get Durante's patch, and it's awesome on the PC, with image quality and a consistent frame rate that are far, far beyond the console versions.
    Unfortunately no matter what control method you choose you will still have to go through the tomb of the giants, which is where a brilliant game turned in to a lazily developed ass tightening lesson on why Dark Souls hates you.
  • King_Edward 24 Dec 2012 14:41:10 11,454 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Lazy? TotG was brilliant. I shit myself constantly through that section
  • quadfather 24 Dec 2012 14:49:48 10,547 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @op go for the controller. You really won't get the best out of the game without it.

And what UncleLou said about Durante's graphic patch, then you're all set

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• WoodenSpoon 24 Dec 2012 19:07:14 12,251 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:
    UncleLou wrote:

Unfortunately no matter what control method you choose you will still have to go through the tomb of the giants, which is where a brilliant game turned in to a lazily developed ass tightening lesson on why Dark Souls hates you.
    Don't see why you'd single that place out, the whole game is a lesson in poor design masquerading as 'hardcore-ness'.
  • King_Edward 24 Dec 2012 19:25:34 11,454 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Presumably friends lists and shit. Oh, and not being able to pause the game.

Edited by King_Edward at 19:26:22 24-12-2012
  • quadfather 24 Dec 2012 19:35:59 10,547 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    People are going to love it or hate it for various reasons. @woodenspoon - I remember you visiting the dark souls forum struggling with it then getting a bit more excited about it after a bit of support. Guess that hasn't worked out for you.

As for the game design I personally think its sublime in every way but we are digressing. Let's see how the op gets on

/christmas happy mode engaged

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• ZuluHero 24 Dec 2012 19:48:10 3,659 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's brilliantly designed and brilliantly balanced. You know you can complete it naked, at SL1? If you have the skill you have the power.

Of course, none of this will have been done with a mouse and keyboard, to get back on topic :)
  • UncleLou Moderator 25 Dec 2012 15:45:48 35,172 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    WoodenSpoon wrote:
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:
    UncleLou wrote:

Don't see why you'd single that place out, the whole game is a lesson in poor design masquerading as 'hardcore-ness'.
    I'll use that sentence from now on for all games I am notoriously shit at. Geometry Wars, Trials, it always fits! :p
  • teamHAM 25 Dec 2012 16:45:05 2,405 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    WoodenSpoon wrote:
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:
    UncleLou wrote:

I'll use that sentence from now on for all games I am notoriously shit at.
    Me too :)

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Games for Windows Live Gamertag: teamHAM

• AaronTurner 25 Dec 2012 17:24:25 7,521 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    How is the performance on PC?
  • ZuluHero 25 Dec 2012 18:03:50 3,659 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I didn't faff with any of the mods or res/fps changers and it was a smooth and consistent 30.

Yes, even Blighttown ;)
  • AaronTurner 26 Dec 2012 09:12:08 7,521 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hmm
  • Savige 29 Nov 2013 13:19:38 1 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    @Skirlasvoud Unplayable. My friend and I just bought it about an hour ago on Steam due to the sale and it is just completely unplayable without a game pad. We had hoped that the "recommendation" was just that, but it seem it is a requirement. All the prompts are based on the controller buttons and not all the controller functions are mapped to the keyboard and the ones that are seem to have been done so randomly and without rhyme or reason. It's a total mess. Seems we are out the funds for the game, but we did both lodge complaints with Steam about it.
  • Moot_Point 29 Nov 2013 13:34:27 3,503 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Thanks for signing up to share. <3

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I can't believe this is still going. I'm far too hungover for this. I did not poop on a chair lol!

• Buztafen 29 Nov 2013 13:49:37 15,957 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It's one of the worst and laziest PC ports ever conceived which makes the game masquerade as a lesson in how not to design a game for use with a mouse and keyboard.

That is until you insert an xbox pad (sub 20 in most places) and take 2 minutes to install the Durante patch...

...then it becomes one of the most compelling games ever made and my favourite game of the last 10 years.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous