Christmas Cards - Obsolete??? Page 2

• Page

of 3 First / Last

• Stickman 20 Dec 2012 16:20:01 29,404 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've managed, through years of belligerence, to fashion myself a groove amongst everyone I know of "oh, he doesn't do cards!".

Then you just say you're not sending cards and everyone goes "oh, he doesn't do cards!" and it's a great jape.

Like those cunts who are always late. "Oh, you know Percy; always late! Haw haw haw!"

To sum up then, I'm a cunt.

What was the question?

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• nickthegun 20 Dec 2012 16:22:28 55,848 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    Topical. We nearly had a massive barny over this. She was sending cards to my close family on my behalf, making me look like a lazy ingrate.
    Theres a lot of that going on at ours. Now my mums gone, none of my family can be arsed but the wifes family would send a you a card if you had a nice shit, so the wifes mum is threatening to write a load of cards on behalf of my dad and brother.

'But my dad doesnt give a shit. he wont be embarrassed in the slightest'

Edited by nickthegun at 16:23:37 20-12-2012

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• THFourteen 20 Dec 2012 16:23:36 31,799 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Conversation usually tends to go like this

"Can you write your parents' card please"

"yeah i'll do it later"

"No can you do it now?"

"later!"

"ok nevermind I'll do it" -grumpyface-

"ffs ok look i'll do it now" -grumpyface-

see Christmas cards are bad.
  • heyyo 20 Dec 2012 16:23:41 14,374 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I only have the full postal address for 2 or 3 of my friends, so I couldn't even if I were inclined.

/facebook generation
  • GuiltySpark 20 Dec 2012 16:24:12 6,279 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    B0rked_Gamer wrote:
    By the way the term 'holiday season' can fuck right off, it's CHRISTMAS you politically correct motherfuckers.
    That's the holiday season spirit!

Edited by GuiltySpark at 16:24:24 20-12-2012

Get bent.

• nickthegun 20 Dec 2012 16:24:42 55,848 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    We also had this last night. For some reasons they request that your child sends a card to everyone in the class, not just the favourites, so the mrs tried to sit a four year old down to sign twenty cards.

It did not end well.

He totally called it

• Popzeus 20 Dec 2012 16:25:07 8,250 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There used to be a guy at work who put up a sign on the internal notice board every year to the effect that he wouldn't be buying cards for people at work but would be donating the amount of money it would have cost to charity instead.

It just came across as passive-aggressive.

Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

• THFourteen 20 Dec 2012 16:26:34 31,799 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hope oxfam didn't spend it all at once.
  • nickthegun 20 Dec 2012 16:27:30 55,848 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They probably bought new swivel chairs for their luxury offices, the money wasting twats.

He totally called it

• psychokitten Moderator 20 Dec 2012 16:34:37 7,791 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I made a few cards this year and really enjoyed it, and I like hand writing things to friends, so it's probably something I'll do a little more next year to a select few friends when sending them gifts.

In general I think sending cards is shit, though. I get them from family every year and... meh. Standard Xmas cards.
  • DaM 20 Dec 2012 17:34:53 12,606 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Popzeus wrote:
    There used to be a guy at work who put up a sign on the internal notice board every year to the effect that he wouldn't be buying cards for people at work but would be donating the amount of money it would have cost to charity instead.
    I'll happily donate 10x what I would have spent on cards :)

You have to get back to the basics, and think about the original Christmas.

1) Did Jesus get presents - yes, lots.
    2) Did everyone get hammered - yes, you can't tell me they didn't partake of the inn bar - I imagine Joseph couldn't wait to get out of the stable and into the lounge.
    3) Were there trees - yes.
    4) Did anyone send cards - did they fuck.

Anyway, I'm a Santalogist. I think the Bible needs a new chapter to bring in Santa and the Easter bunny, sadly not mentioned in the Bible.
  • onestepfromlost 20 Dec 2012 17:39:20 1,965 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    cards, be they christmas, birthday, valentines, get well or any other sort, can lick the congealed sweat from my left testicle
  • von_Doll 20 Dec 2012 17:51:29 2,096 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Having spent the past two weeks either sorting, delivering or stealing the money grandma sent your kids out of them, I can assure you the cunting things ain't obsolete.

They're getting smaller, though. Or my hands are getting bigger.

Yes dear, I'm linking your new website everwhere I go. see - www.alldogsgotoerinn.com

• Chopsen 20 Dec 2012 18:01:36 15,161 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Stickman wrote:
    I've managed, through years of belligerence, to fashion myself a groove amongst everyone I know of "oh, he doesn't do cards!".

Then you just say you're not sending cards and everyone goes "oh, he doesn't do cards!" and it's a great jape.

Like those cunts who are always late. "Oh, you know Percy; always late! Haw haw haw!"

To sum up then, I'm a cunt.

What was the question?
    Yeah that's me. I've been working where I am now for 7 years though and I still get cards from people. Less and less each year, but y'know, you think they'd get a hint. I think people just haven't noticed they're not getting cards from me (further showing how bloody pointless the whole thing is) and just routinely send me ones.

Due to family politics, I send them to cousins that I never see. And when I say "I send them" I mean "the wife sends out of fear of being bollocked by my mother." If it was up to me, fuck em.
  • Deleted user 20 December 2012 18:08:09
    She buys, writes and signs on my behalf. I post them. Suits me!
  • Deleted user 20 December 2012 18:12:52
    Oh but I did buy a card for the wife. 6.six fucking pounds for a card. I do believe it is one of those things that isn't worth doing if you aren't going to get one you like and it was the only one I liked but six fucking pounds. That's a big mac meal right there:-(
  • Popzeus 20 Dec 2012 18:16:19 8,250 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, if you don't buy a card for your better half and your parents (and your kids if applicable) you're history's greatest monster.

But anyone else is pretty much optional.

Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

• Deckard1 20 Dec 2012 18:18:40 25,406 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Do you measure all your spending in big macs? "Ach fuck the new TV, am away ta get 257 big mac meals, al see ya in the mornin."

Called it

• neilka 20 Dec 2012 19:21:16 14,942 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mowgli's wedding cost 5,000 Big Macs.

Because that was the reception buffet.
  • Rodney 20 Dec 2012 19:24:52 1,681 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    My mum was like this. The only reason she sent out christmas cards was for fear of not offending people, rather than out of any sense of seasonal good will. You couldnt tell her.
    Fear of not offending people. What does she write in them?
  • Phishfood 20 Dec 2012 19:53:18 51 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Most people just write "To X [default Christmas greeting] From X" and the complete lack of effort makes it even more pointless.

I suppose its one of those things that is just 'expected' as a sign of goodwill. Like there's not much of a point attending a funeral because the person has died and they're never coming back but you make an appearance nonetheless to show that you care. Christmas cards are like a lesser version of that kind of thing, you do it to maintain relations with people.

It wouldn't be a problem if no one did it but because everyone else is then you gotta do it too. Imagine turning up to a birthday party and you brought a present but you didn't bring a card, sure you showed up and got a gift but your card is missing from all the other cards.
  • Rodney 20 Dec 2012 20:01:27 1,681 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I always buy gifts but never cards.
  • kalel 20 Dec 2012 20:16:36 83,871 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's bollocks. I play the Jew card.
  • Deleted user 20 December 2012 20:21:54
  • onestepfromlost 21 Dec 2012 10:59:31 1,965 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So strangely after being in this thread i was in tesco with the mrs and she picks up an expensive card, i ask " who is that for" to which she replies "from you to me" "ok you are a weirdo"
    She then proceeds to try to make me uncomfortable by asking if the cashier buys his wife a card. Couldn't give a fuck, i have no shame.
  • Deleted user 21 December 2012 14:14:06
    Just to counter this thread slightly, I sent a Christmas card to my one-year-old niece and the pictures my sister took of her tearing it open and waving it like a loon whilst holding it upside down were easily worth the costs.
  • Deckard1 21 Dec 2012 14:16:26 25,406 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    God bless us everyone!

Called it

• mrpon 21 Dec 2012 14:19:05 27,644 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    meme wrote:
    Just to counter this thread slightly, I sent a Christmas card to my one-year-old niece and the pictures my sister took of her tearing it open and waving it like a loon whilst holding it upside down were easily worth the costs.
    The card?

Sorry.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• nickthegun 21 Dec 2012 14:28:39 55,848 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Shit. I havent sent my daughter a christmas card.

He totally called it

• Bremenacht 21 Dec 2012 15:16:40 15,753 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    God bless us everyone!
    Hurrah!

Merry Christmas, forum!

Once an eagle taught me courage. And I will never forget that day

• Page

of 3 First / Last