Christmas Cards - Obsolete???

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous
  • dr_swin 20 Dec 2012 15:35:42 4,865 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I just had the annual Mexican stand off with my wife about writing Christmas cards. Basically - every year I just can't be bothered. I rarely look at the ones we receive. It just seems like a chore and a bit of a woman's thing.

I can see my wife's point of view. Why should she have to write to my friends? Also it seems that my male friends seem to be writing their own Christmas cards so her position is not unreasonable.

I just think it seems such an antiquated, increasingly expensive and pointless tradition in the age of social networking. What do you lot think?
  • Deckard1 20 Dec 2012 15:39:07 27,147 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Cards for anything can fuck off, not just christmas cards. Waste of time.
  • neilka 20 Dec 2012 15:40:17 15,655 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sign the cards in your own blood, you won't be asked to do it again next year.
  • Deleted user 20 December 2012 15:40:51
    I like giving a nice Christmas card to the prostitute while she's giving me a nice hand job.
  • Gambit1977 20 Dec 2012 15:42:38 9,583 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    They still sell well on our site.
    I never bother buying any though :lol: and the missus can't be arsed with it either.
  • nickthegun 20 Dec 2012 15:43:14 58,784 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The mrs does the cards to the family otherwise they wouldnt get sent. Everyone gets this emailed to them:

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Popzeus 20 Dec 2012 15:44:29 8,272 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Main problem is I don't know anyone's postal address any more because this is the only time of year I ever send anybody mail.

Edited by Popzeus at 15:45:05 20-12-2012

Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

• nickthegun 20 Dec 2012 15:44:39 58,784 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Aargh. wrote:
    I like giving a nice Christmas card to the prostitute while she's giving me a nice hand job.
    I prefer narrating 'The Greatest Story Ever Told' to her.

He totally called it

• Deckard1 20 Dec 2012 15:46:19 27,147 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I miss George Costanza
  • dr_swin 20 Dec 2012 15:48:34 4,865 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I came so close to just sending a message on facebook to my friends wishing them a merry Christmas. But then the doubts set in. Granted, they are probably needed for grannies and aunties who would probably get their voodoo dolls out if they didn't receive one but the rest of my friends... Surely it's pointless if you're keeping in touch with people regularly anyway.
  • nickthegun 20 Dec 2012 15:49:29 58,784 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You will be delighted to know he does this now:

He totally called it

• nickthegun 20 Dec 2012 15:51:15 58,784 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My mum was like this. The only reason she sent out christmas cards was for fear of not offending people, rather than out of any sense of seasonal good will. You couldnt tell her.

He totally called it

• Deleted user 20 December 2012 15:51:37
    Deckard1 wrote:
    I miss George Costanza
    Believe it or not
    George
    isn't at home
    please leave a message
    at the beep
    I must be out
    or I'd pick up the phone
    Where
    Could
    I
    Be?

Believe it or not, I'm not hooooome
  • nickthegun 20 Dec 2012 15:53:53 58,784 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I used to have that as my answer phone message, even though it has a laughter track the whole way through it.

God, I was annoying.

He totally called it

• localnotail 20 Dec 2012 15:53:56 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    After a decade of not bothering, I find myself happily writing cards this year. I've only sent them to people that I actually care about. I think it's because I have a home & family now.
    It was fun writing a short letter with each. Well, I say writing - I had to do them in Word and print them out as my handwriting is now completely illegible due to years of neglect.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• ScoutTech 20 Dec 2012 15:54:52 2,423 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't mind for people far, far away but seems pointless to people you see!

Though saying that, I haven't sent any to people far or near.
  • THFourteen 20 Dec 2012 15:55:29 32,858 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    haha i have the same argument with my wife every year

she gets really irate if one of my friends gives us a card and i haven't sent them one
  • Blerk Moderator 20 Dec 2012 15:56:33 48,225 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've done immediate family this year and sod everyone else. Luckily everyone else has reached the same conclusion, which is a good thing - not nearly as many silly cards cluttering up the house this year.

Cards are EXPENSIVE! As is postage. And you just look at them once, let them gather dust for a fortnight and then chuck them in the recycling. I may as well just send you an email.

Edited by Blerk at 15:56:47 20-12-2012
  • Popzeus 20 Dec 2012 15:57:18 8,272 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    localnotail wrote:
    After a decade of not bothering, I find myself happily writing cards this year. I've only sent them to people that I actually care about. I think it's because I have a home & family now.
    It was fun writing a short letter with each. Well, I say writing - I had to do them in Word and print them out as my handwriting is now completely illegible due to years of neglect.
    Haha, that's new parent syndrome kicking in. There's a mate of mine from school I've not had a card from in years, sure enough this year we got one with a picture of the new baby on it.

• THFourteen 20 Dec 2012 15:57:26 32,858 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    its nice to get them when you are old though.

my mrs's grandpa used to get cards from loads of random people, with attached letters of exactly what each member of the family had been up to all year. fun to read.

Edited by THFourteen at 15:57:34 20-12-2012
  • Salaman 20 Dec 2012 15:59:16 18,863 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I spend a few hours making cards with the little one. It's an excuse to do something fun together. She gets to use the hole cutter to make star shaped holes in the card. She gets to put snowman and reindeer stickers on them and she then gets to draw a crude circle as an O for her name.

So more about enjoying time with the kid with cards as a by product but it's fun.
  • nickthegun 20 Dec 2012 15:59:44 58,784 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    Cards are EXPENSIVE! As is postage.
    Heh, I had this conversation last year at the in-laws. My wifes aunt said 'It is dear. I spend nearly 200 on cards and postage every year' and her uncle nearly choked on his mulled wine.

He totally called it

• smoothpete 20 Dec 2012 15:59:55 31,333 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Topical. We nearly had a massive barny over this. She was sending cards to my close family on my behalf, making me look like a lazy ingrate.
  • localnotail 20 Dec 2012 16:00:08 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    I used to have that as my answer phone message, even though it has a laughter track the whole way through it.

God, I was annoying.
    I used to spend ages making incredibly funny answermachine messages, including one sampling The Terminator ("I'm not here right now, but... I'll be back). They were probably really annoying.

• Popzeus 20 Dec 2012 16:02:23 8,272 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I write cards for my parents, my one surviving grandparent and my wife. She writes all the rest of them, including for my family, and I'm more than happy with that arrangement.

• graysonavich 20 Dec 2012 16:04:01 7,309 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Fun fact: When I was younger I used to get an Xmas card from one of my Dad's old army mates. He had great penmanship. It really looked like he spent some time and care over them. Never met the guy, but he got me into art & calligraphy. Which turned me into the typography nerd I am today.

So yeah. If you send out unique and thoughtful cards once a year, there's a slim chance you might inspire a stupid little kid to waste time on some crap. If you buy a multi-pack of Xmas cards from Asda for 3, then, well, fuck you!
  • B0rked_Gamer 20 Dec 2012 16:11:22 2,482 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I never give out Christmas cards nor do I bother reading the cards I'm given. Went out to some do yesterday and got a shed load of cards from people I hardly know at all. It just seems a bit forced to me. Meh.
  • Deleted user 20 December 2012 16:13:53
    graysonavich wrote:
    So yeah. If you send out unique and thoughtful cards once a year, there's a slim chance you might inspire a stupid little kid to waste time on some crap. If you buy a multi-pack of Xmas cards from Asda for 3, then, well, fuck you!
    Pretty much this. Prefer to send out a small handful of thoughtful, personalised cards than carpetbomb the same paper-thin card to everyone with "DEAR FAMILY MEMBER" scrawled in a rush inside.

Mind you, my handwriting looks like a doctor's scribble even when I take care.

Edited by meme at 16:15:34 20-12-2012
  • localnotail 20 Dec 2012 16:13:55 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Popzeus wrote:
    localnotail wrote:
    Haha, that's new parent syndrome kicking in. There's a mate of mine from school I've not had a card from in years, sure enough this year we got one with a picture of the new baby on it.
    :D Yeah. It's weird, I was just suddenly overwhelmed by a desire to reconnect with people in a way that just didn't seem possible through social media. I think it is because I found a load of old letters recently that I'd kept, and it reminded me how ephemeral our communications have become these days. Even emails don't really compare to letters.

Cards without some kind of personal comment in can go fuck themselves though.

• B0rked_Gamer 20 Dec 2012 16:18:05 2,482 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    By the way the term 'holiday season' can fuck right off, it's CHRISTMAS you politically correct motherfuckers.
  • Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous