Stranger's Wrath Vita Page 2

• Page

of 3 First / Last

• daft_punk_909 5 Jan 2013 11:30:10 57 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Wow! This is really good, just spent a few hours with it last night. Looks as good as anything on Vita, really fun story and controls superbly. Can't quite believe this was 7.49 from PSStore and hasn't had much hype.

I read somewhere that they hadn't 'used' the vita enough in this conversion. The touchscreen works perfectly and it controls like a dream. Where as AC Liberation and Uncharted 'used' all of the gimmicks and nearly ruined decent games (actually I think AC is a shit game, but, that's another thread!).

PSN: daft_punk_909

• FanBoysSuck 5 Jan 2013 12:42:39 1,447 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Hmm this thread has got me interested in picking this up. I never finished it on the original xbox version despit loving it. Where are the extra buttons mapped to on the vita? It's missing a couple compared with a full pad.

For the emperor!

• dsmx 5 Jan 2013 17:48:20 7,555 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    double tap the screen to go into first person, tap the edges of the rear touch pad to punch while in first person, pinch and stretch on the rear touch pad for the binocs/sniping controls and ammo select tap any direction of the dpad then pick the ammo type on the screen.

And I've just got to the part in the big apple with the sky cart bit. So far so incredibly good, controls great for the most part, odd issue with punching accidentally when in first person but that's about it. Highly recommend that people get it.

Edited by dsmx at 17:50:30 05-01-2013

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• Rens11 5 Jan 2013 18:54:14 1,385 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Never played this before and have it on PS3 thanks to ps+ but this thread is seriously tempting me to getting it on vita!

Dont kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, hed eat you and everyone you care about!

• dsmx 5 Jan 2013 19:44:52 7,555 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Right now given the choice I'm playing games on my vita over my PS3, I have strangers wrath on my PS3 as well but since the game is virtually identical apart from the control changes I chose to play it on my vita. The only compromise is the screen size, the controls are fine on the vita.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• jagg3r 5 Jan 2013 19:49:28 1,027 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    dsmx wrote:
    Right now given the choice I'm playing games on my vita over my PS3, I have strangers wrath on my PS3 as well but since the game is virtually identical apart from the control changes I chose to play it on my vita. The only compromise is the screen size, the controls are fine on the vita.
    Is it cross play? Or did you have to purchase it again for vita. I bought it for vita, looks great but I've been playing and really enjoying knytts underground lately, never would have played anything like knytt before, was never my thing but its great on the vita.
  • dsmx 5 Jan 2013 20:59:29 7,555 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sadly it's not crossplay, I got it for free on the ps3 with psplus a while back.

• FanBoysSuck 5 Jan 2013 21:03:35 1,447 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    dsmx wrote:
    double tap the screen to go into first person, tap the edges of the rear touch pad to punch while in first person, pinch and stretch on the rear touch pad for the binocs/sniping controls and ammo select tap any direction of the dpad then pick the ammo type on the screen.

And I've just got to the part in the big apple with the sky cart bit. So far so incredibly good, controls great for the most part, odd issue with punching accidentally when in first person but that's about it. Highly recommend that people get it.

Edited by dsmx at 17:50:30 05-01-2013
    Cheers dude!

For the emperor!

• lazymanschair 8 Jan 2013 12:44:54 27 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The punching in first person is caused by tapping the rear touch panel, annoying as I find it hard to hold it by the grip indents. Really enjoying the game though.
  • Flying_Pig 22 Jan 2013 23:00:05 10,682 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Played the first hour of this. Liking it a lot so far :)

I'm hoping it doesn't go all FPS as the game progresses, as I like the mix ATM.
  • PazJohnMitch 22 Jan 2013 23:07:43 7,785 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Strangers Wrath is an awesome game. I loved in on the old Xbox.
  • Flying_Pig 1 Feb 2013 15:29:22 10,682 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'd underestimated this game.

I've previously been trying to play it a bit like a FPS, but actually, it's much more tactical than that - the 'Yo Mamma' bounty, rally forcing me to mix up my tactics, slowly seperating 'Momma's Boys' and taking them out individually.

Brilliant!

Incidentially, I'm currently going for the Mo Moolah trophy (have $20,000 at the end). As a result, I'm not spending money in the General Store and trying to bounty everyone alive (where possible). Anyone done this and how easy is it to achieve?
  • daft_punk_909 5 Feb 2013 18:16:54 57 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Flying_Pig Are you playing on Normal, Easy or Hard? I played on Easy and really didn't need anything from the store.

I love the tactics involved with getting the bounties alive. Best part of the game for me.

• Flying_Pig 5 Feb 2013 21:05:49 10,682 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @daft_punk_909 - playing on normal and have hit a wall. Just can't kill Polecat Palooka (or whatever his name is).

I think my quest for the Mo Moolah trophy has taken the fun out of the game for me. I've decided to take a diversion into Retro City Rampage and then go back to this. Maybe decide to ignore said Trophy and had to the Hardware store to get the Stranger properly tooled up :)
  • Flying_Pig 12 Mar 2013 09:39:49 10,682 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    After a month off from this I returned (at the Packrat Palooka boss fight) expecting to be able to head back into town to buy some upgrades.

Sadly no such luck, as the way is blocked, so I'm either faced with loading an earlier save (at least an hour lost) or persevering with the boss fight.

Had maybe 20 attempts over the last few days (the best one left him with a slither if health left), but no joy yet. I think my main issue is that because I haven't upgraded anything, I can't hold enough Boombat or Thudslug ammo, and everything takes too long to re-load.

Any tips??

I'll have another few goes, but maybe just give in an load up an earlier save :(
  • Help_me 12 Mar 2013 13:24:33 939 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Are there no nooks or crannies with ammo wondering about?
  • Flying_Pig 12 Mar 2013 14:55:47 10,682 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Not of the ammo I want, and no real pause in proceedings to enable me to get it...
  • Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 12 Mar 2013 15:28:46 10,852 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    What's going on with the right thumbstick in this game? I've turned the sensitivity right down but it still likes to wander...

Superb game though. Missed it first time around and I'm happy I picked it up on Vita whilst it was on sale.
  • Flying_Pig 12 Mar 2013 15:39:13 10,682 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ignatius_Cheese wrote:
    What's going on with the right thumbstick in this game? I've turned the sensitivity right down but it still likes to wander...
    Can't say I've noticed an issue with it. I seem to recall someone mentioning in another thread about a 'wandering analogue stick' and the suggestion to reset the Vita fixed it...
  • Flying_Pig 15 Mar 2013 13:32:52 10,682 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    OK, so I went back to an earlier save, upgraded some of my equipment (mainly ammo bag and something to make the Thudslugs reload more quickly), and headed back to Packrat Palooka.

Still took me a few goes, but managed to beat him :D

Travelled on to New Yolk City and am just about to get to the next bounty boss - 'Xplosives McGee. That minecart section was pretty fun
  • daft_punk_909 16 Mar 2013 07:05:50 57 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Flying_Pig Yep, Palooka is pretty tough. It's worth increasing ammo capacity at each shop. I had plenty of moolah. Doing so just means you miss out on a trophy for 20,000 (I think) when you start the boat ride. The mine cart is cool. No spoilers but there's a few more surprises left. When you beat all the bounty bosses, you're only half way through, that was my biggest surprise!

Incredible, beautiful game. Favourite I've played for quite a while.

• Flying_Pig 28 Mar 2013 13:10:03 10,682 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    And finished - great second half, although those final few sections (the timed running section and the boss fight with the 2 Octopus things) were pretty nasty.

Brilliant Vita game.
  • aros 28 Jun 2013 09:50:38 2,559 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Flying_Pig I loved that section! I had left this one for months and just did that bit last week.

It's a great, really under-rated game and it's tragic that it's not mentioned when discussing FPS on Vita as it really does control beautifully.
  • Flying_Pig 28 Jun 2013 09:59:01 10,682 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @aros - agree. Stranger's Wrath really is an unloved gem. It could really do with a decent discount or PS+ IGC to get more people to play it.
  • ManicDrunkMonk 28 Jun 2013 10:07:54 505 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There seem to be two buying options on the Vita store for this. Does one give you both versions or something?
  • Murbal 28 Jun 2013 10:09:58 21,921 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @ManicDrunkMonk yhup - pricier one is PS3/Vita cross buy version I believe.
  • Page

of 3 First / Last