Gérard Depardieu to return French passport Page 3

• Page

of 4 First / Last

• Jeepers 18 Dec 2012 20:03:56 13,175 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ginger wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    You remember that Swiss chap caught speeding in his Merc SLS who was fined CHF600k or something? it was because they have a scale for criminal fines, dependent on the severity of the illegal action but also the income of the perpetrator.

That struck me as a defensible and moral way to both ensure the super rich don't consider themselevs above the law, and (if you must) take a little cash off them. This though? This is bonkers.
    I'm pretty sure that the Finns have a similar law regarding times relative to income. I always thought it was a pretty elegant solution, but I'm sure a clever accountant could show an individual had no income or assets pretty easily, so you'd still need changes to tax law.
    That Roman property tax what I heard about on QI was a similar stroke of genius. For the purposes of taxation you could submit any value you wanted on your property; the catch being that anyone who offered could buy your property at that self-declared price.

Absolutely brilliant. Need similar nowadays.
  • grey_matters 18 Dec 2012 20:09:26 3,691 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I wonder how many PSG footballers are pissed off right now.
  • Kostabi 18 Dec 2012 21:08:24 4,911 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    No Government should be taking 75% of a persons earnings even after a threshold so I'm not surprised he packed his shit up and left.

Out of interest, what's the 'average' persons tax bracket in France?
  • elstoof 18 Dec 2012 21:28:45 7,035 posts
    Seen 41 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It depends on your family's size in France, with less tax due if you have children but roughly, after 6k it's 5.5% then past 12k it's 14% until you hit about 25k and its 30% anything after 70k is 41%

Having kids is really beneficial though, that 41% bracket is pushed waaaaaaay back if you have a few children.

Edited by elstoof at 21:31:28 18-12-2012
  • Salaman 18 Dec 2012 22:09:32 18,960 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    JoeBlade wrote:
    Bizarre choice in moving to Belgium, a country with marginally less severe taxation on the rich than what Hollande has imposed in France.
    Ok, bit of an overstatement but still, taxes are pretty murderous over here.

EU nation (= no migration issues) with French as an official language + right next door to his home turf I guess...
    For the average Joe and the middle class, yeah it's got massive tax with an income tax of over 40% somewhere.

For the really, really rich? The Dutch have a tax on the overall assets you own. So they all come live across the Dutch/Belgian border. Not sure how the French taxed their millionaires before Hollande.
  • elstoof 18 Dec 2012 22:22:13 7,035 posts
    Seen 41 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The French have had a wealth tax on your existing assets since before Hollande, as well as things like a tax on anything you give to your children as a gift (this can be got around in special circumstances if explained as wedding gift, christening of grandchildren etc) taxes have generally been quite high but with decent breaks and benefits. Hollande has tipped it over the edge of acceptance for most it would seem though.
  • elstoof 18 Dec 2012 22:23:52 7,035 posts
    Seen 41 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Didn't U2 move their operations all over to the Netherlands once the Irish government decided that "artists" should be paying taxes like everyone else?
  • Khanivor 18 Dec 2012 22:42:12 40,554 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Wait, is it news that this man is an asshole? I thought that was determined decades ago.
  • cubbymoore 18 Dec 2012 22:44:47 36,488 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Whoop dee doo. I bet he hasn't earnt over a million in years,  desperate attempt to seem like a big shot.
  • grey_matters 18 Dec 2012 22:44:50 3,691 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Didn't U2 move their operations all over to the Netherlands once the Irish government decided that "artists" should be paying taxes like everyone else?
    Yep!
    It wasn't 75% of earnings over 1 million either.
  • ResidentKnievel 19 Dec 2012 00:10:36 6,183 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Is there research anywhere in to what would be the best percentage to set the highest tax bracket at? In France or the UK?

The point where the most revenue is generated taking in to account rich people leaving and entering the country.

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• Mr-Brett 4 Jan 2013 08:29:35 12,777 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Gerard Depardieu 'pleased' to become Russian citizen
    Any predictions on where he'll be a citizen of next week?

Portable view - Never forget.

• kickerconspiracy 4 Jan 2013 10:52:07 495 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It could be worse. He could be French.
  • mcmonkeyplc 4 Jan 2013 11:11:26 39,447 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Citizen of Russia means he's not a Citizen of the EU....makes working in the EU harder.

Stupid fuck.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• nickthegun 4 Jan 2013 11:19:53 59,527 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:
    Wait, is it news that this man is an asshole? I thought that was determined decades ago.
    Isnt he a pedo? Or did I just extrapolate that from the movie he did where he pretended to be married to his 15 year old daughter?

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• Deckard1 4 Jan 2013 11:26:17 27,770 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah I think that was one of his films.

Still though, no smoke without fire.

Hush you ponce

• glaeken 4 Jan 2013 11:28:10 11,144 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't really understand the extremely wealthy and tax avoidance. If we take Depardieu's case yes that is a really high rate of tax but he would still be very wealthy if he paid that rate. It puzzles me that being extremely wealthy is not enough for some people.

Look at U2? How much money do these guys need? How about the Rolling stones? Mega wealthy is not enough? They have to be making more money than they will ever be able to utilise.

Maybe it's just down to these people being a little detached from reality that causes them to act in this way but it just feels really odd to me. Maybe they just don't understand how wealthy they really are in comparison to the norm.

Edited by glaeken at 11:31:16 04-01-2013
  • nickthegun 4 Jan 2013 11:33:54 59,527 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    1) You are rich

2) The government wants to take a lot of money

3) Because you are rich, with one signature on the bottom of a piece of paper, you can tell the government to fuck off

It gets to a point where it takes literally no effort on your behalf to do it, so why wouldnt you? (disregarding moral ethics..)

• glaeken 4 Jan 2013 11:52:32 11,144 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Why wouldn’t you? Why would you? Money must be virtually meaningless once you get past a certain level of wealth. If you have enough wealth to cover every conceivable need you have why do you need more?

Look at what U2 went through to avoid tax. I mean what is the point? I know it probably came down to just signing some bit of paper for them to get it all done but did none of them not think what is the fucking point at any stage while they were going through the process?

Edited by glaeken at 11:53:18 04-01-2013
  • nickthegun 4 Jan 2013 11:53:56 59,527 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think you'd be surprised. Money is money and no one likes giving half of theirs away.

• glaeken 4 Jan 2013 11:57:26 11,144 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well I am not surprised as such because I am aware of just how much it happens. I just have difficulty with the mind-set that thinks they need to do such things given their actual wealth.
  • disusedgenius 4 Jan 2013 11:57:47 5,284 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    glaeken wrote:
    Look at what U2 went through to avoid tax.
    Their accountant told them they could save money, they told him to make it so. Not that much effort on their part, really.
  • glaeken 4 Jan 2013 12:00:53 11,144 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I understand that but where did their drive come from to think they needed to save money? How were they having to economise to the extent where they thought I really do need to save some money.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 4 Jan 2013 12:01:31 6,654 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Talk of Bono paying taxes reminds me of when an interviewer was asking Richard Gere about why; if he's a committed Buddhist, he doesn't give his money away to the needy.

His reply was along the lines of "I've not reached that level of enlightenment"

Bet you're trying real fucking hard Geresy.
  • disusedgenius 4 Jan 2013 12:03:48 5,284 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If you're an accountant your job is to save your clients as much money as you can, so the more you can save the better you are at your job and, I expect, the better you get paid. That's where the drive would come from, all the clients need to do is to say smile and nod.

I seem to remember Jimmy Carr saying the same thing - his accountant said there was a easy and legal way to save money, so he told him to go for it. that's hardly a burning drive.
  • FWB 4 Jan 2013 12:07:47 44,346 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'd like to think that what they save they donate elsewhere. Perhaps to a cause they believe more in, than a government that uses it to fund gravy train civil service jobs. But that's wishful thinking, probably. The rich aren't rich because they like parting with their cash.

Anyway, as others said, if someone comes to you and says they can save you 10million if you pay them 1 million, would you not do it? Explains the attitude of banks too.

Edited by FWB at 13:01:36 04-01-2013
  • Chopsen 4 Jan 2013 12:12:22 15,885 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    glaeken wrote:
    Why wouldn’t you? Why would you? Money must be virtually meaningless once you get past a certain level of wealth.
    No.

Well, yes, if you decide to carry on a fairly mundane middle class existence and have billions in wealth which is fairly liquid but that happens approximately never.

Edited by Chopsen at 12:13:28 04-01-2013
  • glaeken 4 Jan 2013 12:23:00 11,144 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    billions? I would think if I had 10 million in the bank I could live a very nice life style and never have any money worries. In fact looking at the interest I would get off such a sum and even not attempting to avoid tax I think I would have a hard time spending all that income. I guess it depends what you think mundane and middle class is.
  • LeoliansBro 4 Jan 2013 12:25:14 43,825 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Yeah I think that was one of his films.

Still though, no smoke without fire.
    Yep, and based on that Tom Cruise can handle himself in a fistfight and John Travolta isn't gay.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Chopsen 4 Jan 2013 12:33:19 15,885 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    glaeken wrote:
    billions? I would think if I had 10 million in the bank I could live a very nice life style and never have any money worries. In fact looking at the interest I would get off such a sum and even not attempting to avoid tax I think I would have a hard time spending all that income. I guess it depends what you think mundane and middle class is.
    Yeah, same applies for 10 million as does with billions. I just picked a number.

I compare how much money I have now to when I was a student. It is a massive increase. My student self would not imagine what I would do with so much money. But you know what? I still find ways to spend it. And I still wouldn't mind more.

You lifestyle expectations magically grows according to your wealth. And generally people who get weathy do so because they want more money. They don't get to an arbitrary point and go "yeah, I'm done, start paying taxes now" :)
  • Page

of 4 First / Last