Gérard Depardieu to return French passport

  • Page

    of 4 First / Last

    Previous
  • Lamb 18 Dec 2012 15:00:45 472 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    What do you do when your country hikes your tax rates?

    Gérard Depardieu to return French passport

    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/9748655/Gerard-Depardieu-to-return-French-passport.html
  • Deckard1 18 Dec 2012 15:03:04 27,234 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Sacrebleu!!
  • SClaw 18 Dec 2012 15:10:41 826 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    He nose what he's doing.
  • LeoliansBro 18 Dec 2012 15:11:32 43,245 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    See what happens when you try to tax the rich more?

    LB, you really are a massive geek.

  • elstoof 18 Dec 2012 15:12:49 6,633 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Can't say I blame him, Hollande is ripping the arse out of the country. My wife, who's not lived in France for 4 years, is having to pay more tax just because she doesn't live there any more. You'd think being elsewhere and not using any public services would go towards reducing your contribution rather than increasing it.
  • THFourteen 18 Dec 2012 15:14:03 32,879 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mange tout rodney
  • SClaw 18 Dec 2012 15:14:28 826 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Most middle class and above people in France hate Hollande. That son of bitch is trying to help poor people, damn him! How dare he!
  • LeoliansBro 18 Dec 2012 15:15:58 43,245 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    SClaw wrote:
    Most middle class and above people in France hate Hollande. That son of bitch is trying to help poor people, damn him! How dare he!
    He's doing so in a counterproductive and self defeating way, which he now has to because it spurred stupid people to elect him.

    LB, you really are a massive geek.

  • elstoof 18 Dec 2012 15:17:56 6,633 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Believe it or not there are ways to "help poor people" that don't resort to some Robin Hood style stealing from those who have and handing it to those who feel they shouldn't have to earn it.
  • caligari 18 Dec 2012 15:22:38 16,999 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Wow, the Gaul of this guy, eh?
  • AcidSnake 18 Dec 2012 15:23:03 7,222 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Believe it or not there are ways to "help poor people" that don't resort to some Robin Hood style stealing from those who have and handing it to the 47% who feel they shouldn't have to earn it.
    Fixed that for any US readers...

    AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

  • Mr-Brett 18 Dec 2012 15:26:23 12,723 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    See what happens when you try to tax the rich more?
    So this isn't an isolated case?

    Portable view - Never forget.

  • Razz 18 Dec 2012 15:26:51 60,775 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    85% of income in taxes?! o_O

    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

  • imamazed 18 Dec 2012 15:28:09 5,524 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    85% of income in taxes?! o_O
    85% of income over 1 million notes.

    Edited by imamazed at 15:28:38 18-12-2012
  • LeoliansBro 18 Dec 2012 15:34:44 43,245 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    See what happens when you try to tax the rich more?
    So this isn't an isolated case?
    Nope. LVMH chap (richest Frenchman) is moving to Belgium as well. But it's a useful illustration of why Higher Taxes and More Tax revenue isn't the same. Don't forget, you're targeting both the most beneficial (from a tax revenue perspective) and the most mobile portion of society.

    LB, you really are a massive geek.

  • Razz 18 Dec 2012 15:36:34 60,775 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    imamazed wrote:
    Razz wrote:
    85% of income in taxes?! o_O
    85% of income over 1 million notes.
    I'm aware of that. Doesn't make it any less disgusting.

    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

  • X201 18 Dec 2012 15:37:09 15,143 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    SClaw wrote:
    Most middle class and above people in France hate Hollande. That son of bitch is trying to help poor people, damn him! How dare he!
    He's doing so in a counterproductive and self defeating way, which he now has to because it spurred stupid people to elect him.
    The upper classes should have a revolution and restore the monarchy.
  • elstoof 18 Dec 2012 15:38:39 6,633 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    No, it's 75% of earnings after 1,000,000. I think he's probably come up with that figure after taking income tax into consideration along with CGT of any portfolio he may have, land tax etc etc. it's not a PAYE system like we have here.
  • TheSaint 18 Dec 2012 15:42:07 14,201 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I wonder why he decided on Belgium when he has a green card.
  • Mr-Brett 18 Dec 2012 15:44:36 12,723 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    See what happens when you try to tax the rich more?
    So this isn't an isolated case?
    Nope. LVMH chap (richest Frenchman) is moving to Belgium as well. But it's a useful illustration of why Higher Taxes and More Tax revenue isn't the same. Don't forget, you're targeting both the most beneficial (from a tax revenue perspective) and the most mobile portion of society.
    Lets not forget the most greedy too :)
    It's interesting to see that it's not all hot air.

    Portable view - Never forget.

  • THFourteen 18 Dec 2012 15:44:37 32,879 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    imamazed wrote:
    Razz wrote:
    85% of income in taxes?! o_O
    85% of income over 1 million notes.
    I'm aware of that. Doesn't make it any less disgusting.
    its still fecking ridiculous.
  • SClaw 18 Dec 2012 15:49:14 826 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm not sure I agree. That's a lot of money for one person to earn, and the 250,000 (or whatever) left isn't anything to scoff at. It IS a hamfisted way to make society a little more equal but fuck rich people, frankly, they got there by standing on the backs of the improverished so they should be taxed heavily.
  • LeoliansBro 18 Dec 2012 15:53:49 43,245 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    See what happens when you try to tax the rich more?
    So this isn't an isolated case?
    Nope. LVMH chap (richest Frenchman) is moving to Belgium as well. But it's a useful illustration of why Higher Taxes and More Tax revenue isn't the same. Don't forget, you're targeting both the most beneficial (from a tax revenue perspective) and the most mobile portion of society.
    Lets not forget the most greedy too :)
    It's interesting to see that it's not all hot air.
    Greedy? They give the most to charity, both in total and as a proportion of their income. They pay the most taxes. They spend the most money, therefore directly energising the economy the most. They employ the most people. etc etc :)

    LB, you really are a massive geek.

  • oldschoolsoviet 18 Dec 2012 15:54:26 5,457 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thread title should've been:

    Good for you, Depardieu.


    And this was last week's news.
  • elstoof 18 Dec 2012 15:54:53 6,633 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Have they though? Every single rich person earned it by fucking someone else over? That's an extremely narrow view you have on the world, and it's quite worrying.
  • JuanKerr 18 Dec 2012 15:55:59 36,203 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    SClaw wrote:
    fuck rich people, frankly, they got there by standing on the backs of the improverished so they should be taxed heavily.
    Yep, every single one of them.
  • LeoliansBro 18 Dec 2012 15:56:09 43,245 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    SClaw wrote:
    It IS a hamfisted way to make society a little more equal but fuck rich people, frankly, they got there by standing on the backs of the improverished so they should be taxed heavily.
    lol

    LB, you really are a massive geek.

  • pistol 18 Dec 2012 15:56:25 13,019 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    SClaw wrote:
    I'm not sure I agree. That's a lot of money for one person to earn, and the 250,000 (or whatever) left isn't anything to scoff at. It IS a hamfisted way to make society a little more equal but fuck rich people, frankly, they got there by standing on the backs of the improverished so they should be taxed heavily.
    75% tax is still a lot, even if it's only over 1,000 000. It seems a lot of high earners have already moved to that same location in Belgium.
  • JuanKerr 18 Dec 2012 15:56:45 36,203 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    See what happens when you try to tax the rich more?
    So this isn't an isolated case?
    Nope. LVMH chap (richest Frenchman) is moving to Belgium as well. But it's a useful illustration of why Higher Taxes and More Tax revenue isn't the same. Don't forget, you're targeting both the most beneficial (from a tax revenue perspective) and the most mobile portion of society.
    Lets not forget the most greedy too :)
    It's interesting to see that it's not all hot air.
    Greedy? They give the most to charity, both in total and as a proportion of their income. They pay the most taxes. They spend the most money, therefore directly energising the economy the most. They employ the most people. etc etc :)
    But they've got more money than me, so I must instantly resent all of them.
  • LeoliansBro 18 Dec 2012 15:58:51 43,245 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You remember that Swiss chap caught speeding in his Merc SLS who was fined CHF600k or something? it was because they have a scale for criminal fines, dependent on the severity of the illegal action but also the income of the perpetrator.

    That struck me as a defensible and moral way to both ensure the super rich don't consider themselevs above the law, and (if you must) take a little cash off them. This though? This is bonkers.

    LB, you really are a massive geek.

  • Page

    of 4 First / Last

    Previous
Log in or register to reply