Annoying Movie Cliches Page 3

  • Page

    of 6 First / Last

  • Deleted user 18 December 2012 11:43:25
    I like how tech changes the nature of clichés.

    For example, it's now necessary in every single horror film involving a remote location to establish very early on that there's no mobile phone reception. That's a very post-90s cliché.

    Note how they don't just stop making that kind of film.
  • TheSaint 18 Dec 2012 11:43:53 14,829 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If I remember correctly the chase in the new Bourne was quite as clichéd as Nick and Kalel are making it seem. She darts down an alley as mentioned but the bad guys follow her and a few more are at the other end blocking her exit. Bourne is running across the roof tops and hears her scream or something before dropping down from above landing on a couple of them taking them down before fighting the other two and taking them out.

    It was fairly predictable but no worse than anything else recently.
  • Rens11 18 Dec 2012 11:43:59 1,465 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Kangoo wrote:
    Talking while driving, seriously if I can't take my eyes off the road for more than 2 seconds, how can people drive without looking at the road for 20 seconds without hitting anything/veering etc.

    So petty but so irritating for me.

    /feels better now
    Are you a woman?

    Don’t kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he’d eat you and everyone you care about!

  • Deleted user 18 December 2012 11:47:29
    TheSaint wrote:
    If I remember correctly the chase in the new Bourne was quite as clichéd as Nick and Kalel are making it seem. She darts down an alley as mentioned but the bad guys follow her and a few more are at the other end blocking her exit. Bourne is running across the roof tops and hears her scream or something before dropping down from above landing on a couple of them taking them down before fighting the other two and taking them out.

    It was fairly predictable but no worse than anything else recently.
    There is definitely a bit where she ducks into a dark doorway or whatever and everyone runs past her. I'm not making that up.
  • askew 18 Dec 2012 11:49:32 12,719 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    kalel is right. the more you think about it, the more laughable that movie is. My six is rapidly lowering to a three.
    *Cancels download*
  • nickthegun 18 Dec 2012 11:50:22 61,305 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    I like how tech changes the nature of clichés.

    For example, it's now necessary in every single horror film involving a remote location to establish very early on that there's no mobile phone reception. That's a very post-90s cliché.

    Note how they don't just stop making that kind of film.
    Its also led to a rash of movies about established tropes operating in the modern world. The most recent bond and die hard movies are entirely about physicality in a world where everything is digital.

    And with everyone being a bit tech savvy 'ITS UNIX. I KNOW THIS' becomes absolutely laughable. You have to be absolutely on point with your techno bullshite or people will see straight through it.

    ---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

  • Gartt 18 Dec 2012 11:54:06 1,849 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Salaman wrote:
    Maybe less of cliché but but the way technology always just works annoys me. Whether it's breaking in and finding a super sensitive file containing information that can be the undoing of a huge powerful opponent on a radom computer or just using their own private PC/laptop/whatnot for any task.
    It's always just "here the file" or "I'm sending you the info" or just walking up and plugging in somewhere.

    Never any compatibility, file format not recognised or other issues. Granted it's not interesting to have your protagonist faffing with their computer for ages but someone under time pressure getting anything done from any device within seconds. Meh.
    The way all you have to do to steal super secret data is plug a usb stick into a computer and the rest is done for you, not even having to press anything or actually find the files, it also automatically puts the screen into an annoyingly slow progress bar.
  • Blakester 18 Dec 2012 11:56:03 3,664 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    One of my favourites is when a person disappears behind a moving bus. You see them on the pavement, a bus drives past, they're gone!

    Usually in conjunction with the protagonist not being sure if they actually saw said person or not.

    I think this was more of a 90's cinema thing.

    When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

  • glaeken 18 Dec 2012 11:56:22 11,265 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    This site has some nice movie physics clichés

    http://www.intuitor.com/moviephysics/

    Flashing bullets being particularly annoying.

    Edited by glaeken at 12:00:04 18-12-2012
  • RobTheBuilder 18 Dec 2012 11:57:43 6,521 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Gartt independence day... Where the virus works with the alien computer system. Ha
  • Gambit1977 18 Dec 2012 11:57:58 10,384 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Always leaving the gun behind and just running away.
  • Max_Powers 18 Dec 2012 11:58:16 1,102 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just the general story arc of most genre movies. I usually tend to watch only 2/3rds of movies nowadays and stop watching after that:

    - Final confrontation with bady guy/monsters plus unengaging firefight/chase
    - That inevitable moment in Romcoms where they stop making jokes all of a sudden to tie up the plot.
    - Etc.

    Edited by Max_Powers at 11:59:41 18-12-2012
  • Deleted user 18 December 2012 12:00:22
    Hah, yeah. Judd Nelson films stop being funny almost exactly on the hour in every single one.
  • nickthegun 18 Dec 2012 12:00:58 61,305 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Max_Powers wrote:
    I usually tend to watch only 2/3rds of movies nowadays and stop watching after that
    Seriously?

    ---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

  • macmurphy 18 Dec 2012 12:03:10 999 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bullet damage. Hiding behind a car is about as much use as tits on fish. In the new 'Taken' he wants to go in the embassy. Does he stop outside and ask nicely? Does he bollocks. He drives in gets his car shot up to shit and then makes a phone call - but it's ok because he ducked below the windscreen. Pish. He's have more holes than the plotline.
  • elstoof 18 Dec 2012 12:04:36 8,310 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You could apply that to other parts of life too. You know what your dinner tastes like after 2/3s, sex always ends in the same way. Next!
  • Deleted user 18 December 2012 12:07:34
    This is why a lot of novelists don't read other people's novels. These types of cliché and convention sneak in so easily. The only way to avoid it is to be creative in a vacuum. Unfortunately that's impossible in the film industry.
  • Zomoniac 18 Dec 2012 12:11:29 7,980 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Prompted by my unnecessarily long review of the new bourne movie, I thought it would be a nice Christmassy thing to do to complain about movie clichés.

    The thing that prompted this was, coming quite soon off the back of watching skyfall, whenever anyone liberates a car or motorcycle, its in perfect nick. If anyone ever tried to steal my car and then thrash it in a high intensity car chase, the clutch would go almost immediately and the hero would just be sat there revving the engine into oblivion.
    Taken 2 has be the worst for that. A car is driven through sheds, through walls, into the side of a bus and is shot at extensively. It somehow ends its journey looking like a showroom model.
  • Steve_Perry 18 Dec 2012 12:16:13 5,200 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It might have already been mentioned but 'There's a storm coming' seems to be in every film nowadays and is getting on my tits.
  • glaeken 18 Dec 2012 12:22:09 11,265 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    macmurphy wrote:
    Bullet damage. Hiding behind a car is about as much use as tits on fish. In the new 'Taken' he wants to go in the embassy. Does he stop outside and ask nicely? Does he bollocks. He drives in gets his car shot up to shit and then makes a phone call - but it's ok because he ducked below the windscreen. Pish. He's have more holes than the plotline.
    You will probably appreciate this.

    http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/thebuickotruth.htm

    It's real world penetration testing of bullets vs. various parts of cars. It’s fairly comprehensive.

    In summary even pistols shoot through car doors easily. It's annoying that virtually no-one gets this right. The amount of films you see with people sheltering behind cars from guys with assault rifles is silly.
  • PazJohnMitch 18 Dec 2012 12:29:21 8,727 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If a character has a beard then they are bad.

    The very few times there is a good Muslim guy in a film they are clean shaven. (Generally applies to British guys too).

    I also hate when people are trying to sneak and be quiet they make ridiculously large amounts of noise.
  • imamazed 18 Dec 2012 12:38:50 5,954 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The thing that always gets me is phones. As someone has already mentioned, no one every says goodbye. You say a poingnant or cutting remark and assume that'll do. Moreover, the phone rings for bloody ages if the phone is in the set, giving the protagonist plenty of time to finish lovemaking, shoot a bad guy or look reflectively out the window.
  • PazJohnMitch 18 Dec 2012 12:42:53 8,727 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I also hate how Biological Chemists are always refered to as Chemical Engineers. (But then I am somewhat biased on that front).
  • Salaman 18 Dec 2012 12:49:11 19,603 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    glaeken wrote:
    macmurphy wrote:
    Bullet damage. Hiding behind a car is about as much use as tits on fish. In the new 'Taken' he wants to go in the embassy. Does he stop outside and ask nicely? Does he bollocks. He drives in gets his car shot up to shit and then makes a phone call - but it's ok because he ducked below the windscreen. Pish. He's have more holes than the plotline.
    You will probably appreciate this.

    http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/thebuickotruth.htm

    It's real world penetration testing of bullets vs. various parts of cars. It’s fairly comprehensive.

    In summary even pistols shoot through car doors easily. It's annoying that virtually no-one gets this right. The amount of films you see with people sheltering behind cars from guys with assault rifles is silly.
    My boss used to co-own a small firm that custom fitted police vehicles. (siren, radio, etc). They had to bullet proof police vans, meaning they treated them with overlapping thing kevlar sheets that would assure the vehicles body would stop a bullet. The windows were left as standard.
    They were quite amazed that they'd invest money in bullet proofing a vehicle but not bother with the windows. The police said they just needed the doors/body to be bullet proofed so they can shelter behind them if needed.

    So in conclusion. If it's Belgian police you see ducking behind their doors, it might actually be realistic. :-)
    If you want to do an armed robbery in Belgium and the police arrive. Shoot for the windows.
  • PazJohnMitch 18 Dec 2012 13:03:50 8,727 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The hero survives

    There are very few cases where the hero dies at the end of the film. Off the top of my head I can only think of one:
    Alien 3


    The hero wins

    Again I can only think of one exception:
    Arlington Road
  • TheSaint 18 Dec 2012 13:08:17 14,829 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    The hero survives

    There are very few cases where the hero dies at the end of the film. Off the top of my head I can only think of one:
    Alien 3
    Terminator 2?
  • RobTheBuilder 18 Dec 2012 13:08:40 6,521 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @PazJohnMitch terminator 2, the passion of the Christ...

    Technically in the latter, he does twice... Hah

    Edited by RobTheBuilder at 13:09:02 18-12-2012
  • Page

    of 6 First / Last

Log in or register to reply