Everquest

• Page

of 7 First / Last

Previous
  • onestepfromlost 16 Dec 2012 17:24:31 2,639 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Searched for a thread but couldnt find one. Noticed this was on the featured games on steam today and wondered, does anyone still play this? Just curious as i never have myself but wondered if it was worth a try since it F2P. is there still a large playerbase? Has it stood up the test of time?
  • Benno 16 Dec 2012 18:33:50 11,687 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    dont think so, no
  • Deleted user 16 December 2012 19:46:45
    No idea about the first but EQ2 is still played, but is a pretty dedicated community which are not always the most polite.
  • quadfather 10 Nov 2017 13:52:35 29,637 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Does anyone here play Everquest at all?

I've just picked up the titanium pack which is what you need to play on the P9999 server, and wondered if anyone else has had any experience with it recently?

I've not played since 1999, so I might be slightly rusty after 18 years, but going to give it a go anyway.
  • docrob 11 Nov 2017 11:59:57 794 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Played from about 2000-2004. Having kids put a stop to night-time raiding. Dabbled with EQ2 and a bit more with WoW but neither approached the sense of community I felt in EQ.
  • Ragnor 11 Nov 2017 12:35:14 206 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 month ago
    Used to play it years ago.

Isn't it free to play now?
  • monsieur-Cosmo 11 Nov 2017 13:06:40 357 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Just looked it up on Steam, yes it is free to play (pay). I also noticed I have multiple MMOs in my library which I never play, lol.
    Why should this one be any different I wonder.
  • Ragnor 11 Nov 2017 13:09:46 206 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 month ago
    monsieur-Cosmo wrote:
    Just looked it up on Steam, yes it is free to play (pay). I also noticed I have multiple MMOs in my library which I never play, lol.
    Why should this one be any different I wonder.
    Another time I might have had another look at EQ, but between ESO, SWL and BDO I simply haven't the room for another MMO.
  • gamecat 11 Nov 2017 14:45:53 692 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Still Ł10 a month, plus about Ł30 for latest expansion if you want to go into it full time. I've not played in 10 years+, it's amazing this thing is still going and pumping out yearly expansions. Project 1999 is free of course, but it's incredibly retro and so very time consuming.
  • quadfather 11 Nov 2017 15:07:59 29,637 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah I'm on it now and it took a while to get back into it, for sure. Though now I've got the basics and got used to the graphics, it's a good blast. It's free on the 9999 server, you just need to locate a copy of the titanium edition.

I'm getting a good nostalgia fix though and there's more people on it than I thought.

Though just wandered into an area far too high for my level and caused a half decent train on the way out :)
  • prettyvacant 11 Nov 2017 15:22:02 164 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I randomly drop back into the game for nostalgia/masochism ,there are some quality of life improvements in playing the live servers over the emulated ones . You can hire henchmen type characters to help you out and corpse runs are a thing of the past , plus travelling is a bit easier with portals that were added in one of the expansions.

The game is ancient though and looks it , the ui is fucking awful so it depends on how misty eyed you are about it , the test server lets you play as a subscriber so you could always check that out but low level zones have zero players on most servers .
  • quadfather 11 Nov 2017 15:35:33 29,637 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @prettyvacant

I need to look into that henchman thing. Though it's taken me a while just to get the fucking basics at the moment :)

It is ancient but I'm suitably misty eyed for it :) Ive gotta get high enough to visit unrest again. Can't wait for that.

16 people right now in my current zone so it's fairly active. Obviously not like it used to be etc -

https://photos.app.goo.gl/tUlxPlMFWu6I0OU23
  • quadfather 11 Nov 2017 16:35:18 29,637 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    However, I had forgotten how fucking *long* it takes to level! I'm a patient guy and I'll stick with it but I've been playing for hours and I'm only level 3!! Admittedly, I didn't know what the fuck I was doing for the first hour and am just doing the starting areas and working out where the fuck I am but I think I need a leveling partner
  • Ragnor 11 Nov 2017 16:59:47 206 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 month ago
    Anarchy Online came up on my recommendations. Now that's a blast from the past. Amazed it's still going.
  • gamecat 11 Nov 2017 17:30:34 692 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    1000 people on P1999 atm, that's pretty good really. I think the live servers capped about 1500 when I played it.

Took me a year of playing original EQ to hit the level cap, not super casual play it now and again type stuff, a solid year of playing. People just won't put up with that sort of glacial progression now.

Edited by gamecat at 17:38:17 11-11-2017
  • quadfather 12 Nov 2017 09:40:30 29,637 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah I don't know how long I'm going to be playing it for, but will see how it goes. There's potential of groups though as I saw a few knocking about last night.

Definitely want to get to 15-20 to hit unrest and will see what happens after that
  • quadfather 12 Nov 2017 11:31:28 29,637 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Also, fun times, someone gave me a sapphire last night worth 95 plat. As I haven't got a bean to my name, I thought this was very generous.

And it turned from generous to a fucking nightmare when I accidentally went too close to crushbone and got killed. Took fucking ages, pissed up, to try and get my corpse back. Managed it finally and was a huge relief hearing the music of kelethin again.

Note to self - it's not generally a good idea to run to unrest at level 3. And even when I got there it wouldn't let me in anyway! Twat!
  • geeza2020 12 Nov 2017 11:58:13 2,498 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Don't tempt me Frodo! I really don't have time to play this again, but your descriptions are getting me right in the nostalgia glands...
  • quadfather 12 Nov 2017 12:01:40 29,637 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    geeza2020 wrote:
    Don't tempt me Frodo! I really don't have time to play this again, but your descriptions are getting me right in the nostalgia glands...
    But I need a leveling partner!

I rolled druid too so I can sow and heal you :))
  • geeza2020 12 Nov 2017 12:07:56 2,498 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So how would I go about doing this titanium install/P9999 setup you mention? Is it project 1999?
  • geeza2020 12 Nov 2017 16:42:17 2,498 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    OK i got it installed. The game seems to crash whenever I full screen it though so might need to tinker with it a little before properly starting. I can't remember anything about this apart from I used to have a Ranger and a Paladin character.... Might go for more of a damage dealer this time, but no idea what the classes are...
  • quadfather 13 Nov 2017 08:54:55 29,637 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    geeza2020 wrote:
    OK i got it installed. The game seems to crash whenever I full screen it though so might need to tinker with it a little before properly starting. I can't remember anything about this apart from I used to have a Ranger and a Paladin character.... Might go for more of a damage dealer this time, but no idea what the classes are...
    Cool!

I had the same with the resolution thing. In the end I edited the eqclient.ini file and put in 1920 and 1080 in the resolution sections. Still runs windowed but you just see the edges slightly and it's fine

I took fucking ages deciding what to roll. Nearly went necromancer but decided that I wanted to start in kelethin as that's the only place I could remember plus it's on the same continent as unrest.

Do you want to group or just go solo?

If you group with my druid, it gives you more choice on the DPS characters I guess.
  • quadfather 13 Nov 2017 09:10:25 29,637 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    This might help refresh your memory too - http://wiki.project1999.com/Loraen%27s_Class_Selection_Guide
  • quadfather 13 Nov 2017 09:22:14 29,637 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh and as the P99 server is in a certain state at the moment regarding expansions (Scars of Velious I believe, but I could easily be wrong), different characters may be/may not be nerfed in certain areas/skills etc. That link above though tells you everything you need to know.

Am still level 3, as last night I went wandering again. I *really* need to stop wandering :)
  • quadfather 13 Nov 2017 09:34:42 29,637 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Saying all this though, I'm happy to roll a different character that suits grouping if you want and I can pootle with my druid whenever
  • geeza2020 14 Nov 2017 13:21:57 2,498 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ok, spent the last couple of evenings getting reacquainted with the game, figuring out the controls and navigating the ui. I still need to figure out how to get the little bar with all your skills on it though as the basic UI is awful. Ran around outside qeynos for a bit with a monk, punching things and getting killed a lot by skeletons. Haven't levelled up once yet though! Are you in Freeport? I'll restart with another character over there if need be.
  • quadfather 14 Nov 2017 13:53:06 29,637 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @geeza2020

It's nails isn't it :)

I've been on for a week and have only just dinged 4 with my druid. Though I am slow as fuck to be fair and keep wandering.

Do you mean the little bar on the side left of the screen where you'd put your spells? If so, first you have to sit down and scribe them into your book. Then you need to click them from the book and memorise them into that side bar. That's for magic spells though - I've never played a monk so don't know if it's the same or not. The EQ99 wiki will help though.

No, I'm in Faydwer - fucking miles away :)

I don't mind rolling something else though. I'm tempted by a Shaman or Necro. Are you going DPS? Coz that helps me decide - I'd do Shaman if that's the case - I can heal+buff+debuff and provide SoW etc as well as some DPS. Could be a very good duo - it's a highly recommended one on the guide.

The only twat is that I've got 100 plat on my druid but no real safe way of transferring some to a new starter. What I could do, is log on, find you, give you some cash, I log back on with a new character and we split some of the cash to get going. It's just getting to you. And then getting to you again with the new char!

Fucking hell, it's proper hardcore :) Last night, I wandered too far from Greater Faydark and it didn't even click that I'd have to walk all the fucking way back :) I can't even remember how to cast the binding / home thing. Fuck knows.
  • quadfather 14 Nov 2017 14:02:59 29,637 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If you, or I reroll, we'd also probably have to think about good/evil characters. It's going to be a ballache if we're KOS in each others towns.

Though to make it easy, I'm not bothered about min/maxing stats or any of that, so don't mind choosing a slightly gimped race, as I'm never going to be raiding end game
  • quadfather 14 Nov 2017 14:20:27 29,637 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    In fact, I'm going to roll a barbarian shaman. So there :)

How I get from Halas to Qeynos - I'll work on that :)
  • geeza2020 14 Nov 2017 15:17:59 2,498 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    From memory (16 years old, so not sure about this) you have to get through blackburrow to get to qeynos from halas.

Traaaaaaain!
  • Page

of 7 First / Last

Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.