A network problem that makes literally no sense Page 2

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Next
  • Whizzo 15 Dec 2012 12:53:24 43,164 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Gremmi should contact Nextgenhacker101, I'm sure he'd be able to find the problem.

This space left intentionally blank.

• Deleted user 15 December 2012 13:49:23
    meme wrote:
    Figure this one out, techmagoos.

I have three computers - a netbook, a laptop and an iMac. The iMac is in a study, and also serves as a media share for playing videos and whatnot over the network. The Mac is wired, as it's next to the router. The other two are on wifi.

If I sit in the lounge, I can see the Mac on the network, browse its network shares etc, on both laptop and netbook.

If I move to the bedroom, I can only see the Mac on the network on the netbook. However I can still ping it on the laptop. Signal strength is actually higher in the bedroom than it is in the lounge.

I sit in the lounge, refresh network in My Computer, the Mac is there. I move to the bedroom, refresh again, the Mac vanishes.

There's absolutely no logical reason this is happening. The Mac is still on the network, I can ping it, access any http things like torrent client interfaces or XBMC web remotes, but I can't see it under network in My Computer, simply by virtue of moving into a different room where the wifi signal is actually stronger.

Riddle me do.
    The source of the problem will most likely be related to how your internet security suite(on the laptop) is configured, how each of the network device's firewall profiles are configured(on iMac, Laptop, etc), or how Windows also has separate network profiles for each adapter (public/guest, private/business or home network since Vista), and also if you have special connection manager software pre-installed on your laptop(eg Thinkpad, HP, Vaio, Dells tend to) that replaces windows' default zero config service for wireless.

When you move rooms, I suspect you are either being automatically handed over to adhoc wifi (or bluetooth connection) with the iMac, which is causing the Windows or security suite firewall rules to change, or causing the connection manager or windows network profile rules to change, or that you are talking to a different SSID configuration on your router(if it supports multiple SSIDs), which will change all the routing rules.

You can disable wifi on mac to rule out adhoc, you can turn off multiple SSIDs in the router, and provided you have virus scanned recently(and emptied internet history, cleared cookie cache) and have your router firewall enabled correctly, you can disable all the software firewalls and internet security suite temporarily to rule them out. I'd also delete all the wifi profiles on the iMac and all the wifi profiles on the laptop and reconfigure them from scratch on the laptop.

Make sure when setting up set the laptop wifi, you set it to “access point only”(to disallow adhoc on windows), and turn off the bluetooth in the laptop and mac.
  • neilka 15 Dec 2012 14:12:50 16,115 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    IS THIS WHAT YOU WANTED GREMMI

IS IT

Lastly, I am gay, disabled, and a liberal.

• chopsen 15 Dec 2012 15:57:13 16,095 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sounds odd. The fact you used fixed ip addresses and can ping excludes most of the above suggestions. Does the Mac do quality control on network shares, just point blank refuse to even show up unless it can maintain a good enough connection to stream over? That's the kind of backward "usefulness" I can imagine them doing.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Next