Oblivion - Tom Cruise does the future (again). Page 2

• Page

of 3 First / Last

• Deleted user 11 April 2013 00:14:17
    For anyone who didn't see it, Tom Cruise is dead all along.
  • gammonbanter 11 Apr 2013 18:01:43 1,486 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I don't read threads until I've seen the film, avoids a world of pain!

The film makers must have drawn upon nearly all sci-fi when making this, still liked it, lovely stuff!

We tried drinking a beer from every world cup nation http://worldcup2014beers.wordpress.com/

• Bremenacht 11 Apr 2013 18:07:04 17,613 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    meme wrote:
    I was planning on seeing it but read it anyway, and am unsurprised to see it stacked full of cliches. The sooner movies almost wholly centred around a twist fuck off, the better cinema will be.
    But if it's a set of cliches done well, then so what? Does anyone stop watching Aliens because everything it does has been done a hundred times since?

For the benefit of anyone who hasn't already done so: DO NOT READ PAGE 1 IF YOU WISH TO AVOID SPOILERS, EVEN IF THE SPOILER HAPPENS TO BE IT'S A FAMILIAR CLICHE!
  • kalel 11 Apr 2013 18:18:41 86,409 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    But if it's a set of cliches done well, then so what? Does anyone stop watching Aliens because everything it does has been done a hundred times since?
    This makes no sense. Aliens was original and good because of it. Generic cliched rips off of Aliens are shit.
  • Deleted user 11 April 2013 18:20:11
    That...wasn't my point. I wasn't saying cliches in themselves are a bad thing (although that's a whole other discussion), I was saying making a story almost wholly focused on some dramatic twist is. But on that subject, twists, by very definition, need to be generally unexpected, so having them be predictable and over-used (to the extent where you can work them out by watching a minute-long trailer) is kind of pointless.

Edited by meme at 18:20:29 11-04-2013
  • Bremenacht 11 Apr 2013 18:33:45 17,613 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Bremenacht wrote:
    This makes no sense. Aliens was original and good because of it. Generic cliched rips off of Aliens are shit.
    That bit in bold makes no sense. Original=good you're saying?

Aliens was probably a poor example to pick. It sprang to mind after I'd read the last few paragraphs here.
  • Bremenacht 11 Apr 2013 18:39:59 17,613 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    meme wrote:
    That...wasn't my point. I wasn't saying cliches in themselves are a bad thing (although that's a whole other discussion), I was saying making a story almost wholly focused on some dramatic twist is. But on that subject, twists, by very definition, need to be generally unexpected, so having them be predictable and over-used (to the extent where you can work them out by watching a minute-long trailer) is kind of pointless.
    Ah. Ok.

I'd argue that more a fault of trailers than anything else. I think it's perfectly possible to enjoy a film up until the 'twist', however it colours your opinion after that point. If you watch enough films it becomes hard not to see what might happen next anyway. I can easily stomach an old twist in the context of what otherwise is a good film.
  • Deleted user 11 April 2013 18:42:45
    I think the real issue is that spoilers aren't really as dramatic as people make them out to be. In the vast majority of twist films, the only thing you'll miss by reading spoilers is a couple of minutes of "ohh, I get it now" feeling. There's literally nothing else that becomes highlighted for repeat viewings, no greater sense of meaning or purpose because of it.
  • elstoof 11 Apr 2013 21:04:50 6,631 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What's the soundtrack like? Anthony Gonzalez of M83 fame did this I think.
  • Blaizefm 11 Apr 2013 21:56:40 232 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I keep thinking of the Terrorvision song.
  • Whizzo 13 Apr 2013 15:16:57 43,038 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just back from it, really enjoyed it, rather old fashioned in a lot of respects (you could easily have seen Charlton Heston starring in a sixties version in another universe) but I'm not going to hold that against it in any way, I love those films.

This space left intentionally blank.

• onestepfromlost 13 Apr 2013 16:23:27 2,039 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah it wasn't amazing but certainly watchable
  • LionheartDJH 13 Apr 2013 16:38:48 19,359 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yep it was decent, it didn't feel as epic to me as I thought it should have done though. Effects and soundtrack were pretty good.

She dives for cheese pasties

• Deleted user 13 April 2013 16:42:24
    Don't bother watching this film. It's slow and plodding and dull as fuck.
  • beastmaster 13 Apr 2013 16:47:55 11,190 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    7/10

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Deleted user 13 April 2013 17:30:47
    4/10.
  • Scimarad 14 Apr 2013 11:33:13 8,530 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hmmm. Wait for it to turn up on TV, I think...
  • Menace 14 Apr 2013 11:57:56 5,737 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Haven't seen it yet (might watch it when it hits BR) - but saw an interview with the director and he said something along the lines of "if your movie has only one twist these days you can forget about it - you need to have more than one twist"..

www.bigbitegames.com/soccer

• FWB 14 Apr 2013 12:00:41 43,852 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    In ther words, writing is so poor in Hollywood that your options are to a) do a remake (next up is Point Break... for no fucking reason) b) blind your audience to an orgy of CGI or c) stack in as many cliches as you can.
  • Madder-Max 14 Apr 2013 12:26:27 11,622 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    This looks very generic and by the numbers with yet another apearance by freeman to explain what's going on for the stupid.

Soooo its a film set in an apocalyptic future, with vault/s of survivors, called oblivion. Hmmmmmmmm there is a common factor here......ummmmmm. If we haven't seen it can we guess the story?

Edited by Madder-Max at 12:38:29 14-04-2013

99 problems and being ginger is one

• shamblemonkee 23 Apr 2013 12:38:51 14,276 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Saw this last night, was interesting enough in that it held my attention and entertained for its running time. Plot was a bit swiss cheese like and of the many influences apparent in the film I don't think any were done better than their source.

Damning by faint praise if you like. One twist was amazingly obvious, the otherless so until just before the reveal but easily guessable in the moments beforehand.

i did enjoy the sound track, pretty much ripped wholesale from the Mass Effect series.
  • jellyBelly 23 Apr 2013 13:22:05 372 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Everytime i see Tom's face i get reminded of Scientology, thus i can't bare watching any of his films anymore. Except Top gun...and Cocktail

PSN:lumulata, NN Dollodon

• MrTomFTW Moderator 23 Apr 2013 13:31:23 37,374 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, see this on Friday. I rarely get to go to the cinema and it's a shame my day off wasn't during the release of Iron Man or Star Trek because this was totally meh. The twist was obvious and as soon as they introduced the clones concept it took away any impact the ending had.

The main ideas behind the story are decent and interesting enough, but I think the name Obvious would be more fitting.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• TarickStonefire 23 Apr 2013 14:33:51 2,901 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    meme wrote:
    I think the real issue is that spoilers aren't really as dramatic as people make them out to be. In the vast majority of twist films, the only thing you'll miss by reading spoilers is a couple of minutes of "ohh, I get it now" feeling. There's literally nothing else that becomes highlighted for repeat viewings, no greater sense of meaning or purpose because of it.
    Spoilers aren't just spoilers if they're revealing the twist in a film. These days I try to avoid as much marketing as possible for a film I want to see, because I want everything to be an unspoiled treat, from the plot to the visuals. I don't need to see all the explosions in a trailer for an action film I've got my eye on - then they won't be nearly as OOOOOH when I finally see them.

Given the price of a cinema trip, I think it makes sense to get as much wow for your money as possible.

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• TarickStonefire 23 Apr 2013 14:35:56 2,901 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    shamblemonkee wrote:
    i did enjoy the sound track, pretty much ripped wholesale from the Mass Effect series.
    The chap from M83 would doubtless be really hurt to read that. From what I read this morning he sweated blood, tears and adrenaline making the soundtrack for the film, often while on tour. Pretty sure ripping off the soundtrack to a game was about as far from his goal as possible.

It may *sound* like it, but "pretty much ripped wholesale" it is not.

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• shamblemonkee 23 Apr 2013 15:44:31 14,276 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well i could be kinder and say "heavily influenced by", but regardless of his intention it is very very close - so close that i went home and put on the ME soundtrack and it definately would fit on the same album with no issues.

I don't think that's a problem and certainly isn't derogatory, just an observation. ME certainly took inspiration from sources like Blade Runner and so on.. nothing is entirely new, in this case maybe it's the note progression and synth sound chosen.

Edited by shamblemonkee at 15:50:56 23-04-2013
  • shamblemonkee 23 Apr 2013 17:59:48 14,276 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ok, so home now and have listened to the soundtrack in isolation from the movie and yeah it sounds less similar on repeat listening (i really was expecting to see Jack Wall of Sam Hulick listed as Music in the credits).

It's certainly a good soundtrack but not unique, it comfortably sits alongside tracks from Deus Ex:HR or Mass Effect.
  • morriss 16 May 2013 23:50:29 70,911 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Saw this last night. I enjoyed it.
  • mangojoe 16 May 2013 23:55:05 417 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @morriss yeah I did too. I enjoyed it more than Star Trek to be honest
  • twelveways 17 May 2013 05:03:13 3,854 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The trailers I saw made it look like Wall-E but with Tom Cruise.
  • Page

of 3 First / Last